As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Oh god those fucking things

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They were even more fun in Dark Souls 1. The instant-death effect, Curse, had a lingering effect that halved your max HP upon respawn, and needed expensive items to cleanse.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Enlong wrote: »
    They were even more fun in Dark Souls 1. The instant-death effect, Curse, had a lingering effect that halved your max HP upon respawn, and needed expensive items to cleanse.

In the release version, it could halve your HP 3 times in total, reducing it to 1/8th.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I remember stumbling into those fuckers the first time and seeing all these warning messages. I'm thinking there's no way these little things can be that bad. A few brief minutes later when I woke up to half health, it was a pretty wtf moment.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The actual range of effect on their curse clouds feels awfully... generous. Like if you told me it was a bug and they're only at 50%, I'd believe you. As long as you're not standing dead center in a cloud, it doesn't seem to affect you. In a reasonably open area, even with 3-4 of those things jumping around, it shockingly wasn't that bad.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Gideon might not be telling the whole truth, though.

I haven’t beaten the game yet and I know Gideon is a lying, no good sack of shit.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I could have sworn there was dialog from Gideon saying the other guy acted prematurely, and not that he was wrong to do so

So I have no trust with him, but I did trade him info for sweet rewards I don’t have the stats to ever use

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I haven’t beaten the game yet and I know Gideon is a lying, no good sack of shit.

I remember talking to Gideon the first time and thinking "you're an asshole, I hope I get to fight and kill you". He's just so much smarm and shitty.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I could have sworn there was dialog from Gideon saying the other guy acted prematurely, and not that he was wrong to do so

So I have no trust with him, but I did trade him info for sweet rewards I don’t have the stats to ever use

Oh Gideon 100% knew what his dude was up to, and maybe he’s telling the truth about timing, but he didn’t care enough to monitor him or prevent him from happening.

And remember,
    Gideon interrogated Latenna for the other half of the Haligtree medallion and killed her wolf when she didn’t relent.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    While they were way more punishing to die to, I felt like actually fighting them was the most fun in DS1. Your curse buildup decayed way faster in that one, so you didn't need to spend as much time waiting around or use as many items when fighting them.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    The basilisks in ER tend to be much beefier than in DS1

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Oh Gideon 100% knew what his dude was up to, and maybe he’s telling the truth about timing, but he didn’t care enough to monitor him or prevent him from happening.

And remember,
    Gideon interrogated Latenna for the other half of the Haligtree medallion and killed her wolf when she didn’t relent.
    it was ensha, but obviously he was working on Gideon's orders. i think the implication is ensha was supposed to recover the medallion by force, but that order wasn't intended to be carried out after the Tarnished got it

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Elendil wrote: »

And remember,
    it was ensha, but obviously he was working on Gideon's orders. i think the implication is ensha was supposed to recover the medallion by force, but that order wasn't intended to be carried out after the Tarnished got it
    doesn’t she mention something about the “all hearing” or “all knowing” tarnished interrogating her? There was some kind of reference to Gideon’s title when she tells you what happened.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Honestly an exclusive club of proven Tarnished is just such an obvious case of either "the leader is a total asshole that's going to fuck everyone" or "everyone here is a backstabby asshole" that I just kinda assume by default some major shit is gonna go down there.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

And remember,
    doesn’t she mention something about the “all hearing” or “all knowing” tarnished interrogating her? There was some kind of reference to Gideon’s title when she tells you what happened.
    "all hearing" is ensha. one of the crones refers to him.

• Options
    Random but I think the one QOL thing From Software could have done for this game is just include an ingame notepad. Don't make it an automatic journal or anything, just let me write my own notes in game so I'm not having to fuck around with irl pen and paper.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

And remember,

Ohhhhhh I didn’t realize that. Nice!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The first time I died to the Death status I laughed for like thirty seconds.

Like the bar starts to creep up and then
    TREE!

Hey how well populated is NG+ for multiplayer?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    took a wrong turn at Albuquerque, went for a ride in a death basket or two, long story short saw a rotting fish man and found a way in to the capital that doesn't involve killing that damn Tree Sentinel

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

And remember,

Ohhhhhh I didn’t realize that. Nice!

Checking the wiki, I don't see why people think that's talking about Ensha, Gideon is the one with loads of ears on his armor. That beard on his helmet? It's not a beard it's a bunch of ears.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I'm finally doing Raya Lucaria and I can't stop giggling at how these mages all just look like the Burger King King.

Also sweet shit I am WAY overleveled for this area. All aboard the one hit kill pain train, choo chooooooooooo.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I feel like such shit for killing merchants.

Except the ones that are kind of dickish in their dialogue. Or set their shops up in remote locations. Or are merchants.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Except the ones that are kind of dickish in their dialogue. Or set their shops up in remote locations. Or are merchants.

I don't kill anything I can't target when I first meet them. This excludes Patches because it's Patches.

Now animals and any other passive NPC are a different story. I've killed more Sonic Goats and Guillemots and Turtles than is probably reasonable, and I don't really care if nobles run and hide.

• Options
    for giggles i am attempting to parry morgott

this is the worst strategy in the history of the universe

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I don't kill anything I can't target when I first meet them. This excludes Patches because it's Patches.

Now animals and any other passive NPC are a different story. I've killed more Sonic Goats and Guillemots and Turtles than is probably reasonable, and I don't really care if nobles run and hide.

I can't do it. The merchants all seem so peaceful, it feels like a violation given how rough the Lands Between already are.

• Options
    there we go, parry only morgott

probably could have done it faster, but i was vibing and fishing for a clean run so i could show off

i ain't get a clean run, and phase 2 is a real pain in the ass

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Update 12: Two down...
    Spent the last couple of sessions returning to my college days. Well, there were slightly less masked dudes shooting blue lasers at me back in college.
    I figured out the Secret Meeting Place on the map and did NOT expect another dragon there, so that was issue one. Once that got taken care of, I found the Glintstone Key and teleported into the Academy. I found a merchant who picked the single worst location I've ever seen and then entered the Academy proper. Wizards with magic people, plateau full of zombies, marionette soldiers, dudes with wings and spears, etc., etc. I ended up in the water wheel! I took Patches' advice and took the magical shortcut to ... a friggin' volcano.
    You know you're having a bad day when your environment includes the word "lavafall." I found my way to the safety of a Grace and moved onto phase two of the Academy, killing a big wolf with the help of a distraction...err, heroic ashen-summoned hero. On to phase three, where I fought my way through a courtyard and discovered the secret walkway leading to HUGE BOULDER!
    Okay, that death made me laugh. I was less pleased by the six times the red invader dude killed me. But I finally made my way to Rennala, who all told wasn't that bad! Certainly easier than Margit and Godfrey at least. The trick was, at least for me, ignoring her summons and just wailing on her. She did not last long against a melee build.

Probably going to take a bit of a break next time. Take things easy, maybe start some side quests or hit a few Evergaol I missed. After that, I have the manor with the raining magic doom, and then maybe starting Caelid?

Yup, still playing. I tried to pick up on my writing by taking a few days off, then I hit creative block, then well ... *gestures wildly at the world in general and my county in particular. In other words, my last few sessions were a bit shorter and more angry on my part. But (some) progress was made, so Update 13!
    I got to the Carin Manor easily enough, but I was not expecting what I found there. Oh, good, giant hands with several times as many fingers as they should have. What am I playing, Elden Ring or Smash Brothers? Badum-tish.
    I made relatively short work, Dark-Souls relative, of them and the ghost knights or whatever on the upper floors. I met Ranni again at night and met her friends. Well, I already knew Blaidd, and he's cool, and Iji's fine. But if you don't have a Velocithor and a tragic ending that makes me cry, you're still a pretender to the name. That wizard guy seems like a douche, though, and Nephili's one of my favorite NPCs so far, so I'm guessing I'm not helping this guy for long.
    After that, I did some side stuff and finally officially enter Caelid. I went down the main way long enough to get the map. The regular enemies aren't so bad, but some bosses made short work of me. Oh, a rot-breathing dragon, how nice. And a tree avatar that splashes more rot with its stomp attack, lovely. I managed to get both to below half health but not much progress has been made beyond that, so I might take a few levels off before another try. I finished off that Catacombs with the two cat statues at once and called it a night. Heh, cat statues in the catacombs. That's cute, From.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    for giggles i am attempting to parry morgott

this is the worst strategy in the history of the universe

What does that take?

Like, I remember hearing Margit takes 2 parries to actually parry. What is it with Morgott, 3?

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I can't do it. The merchants all seem so peaceful, it feels like a violation given how rough the Lands Between already are.

How far in are you? Because it's . . . really rough for them specifically.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

How far in are you? Because it's . . . really rough for them specifically.

I've gotten as far as killing Radahn for big story movers. For the map I had gotten to Altus and also cleared out most of Nokron before I tired of my paper thin faith build and restarted with a strength character.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

And remember,
    Gideon has minions, who use similar iconography as him. For example, the Eye Surcoat you can find in the Volcano Manor reads "The insignia emblazoned on the front marks out the wearer as the eyes and ears of Sir Gideon the All-Knowing." I wouldn't be surprised if Ensha had "all-hearing" as some sort of epithet marking him as a close conspirator of Gideon. Also, it would be kinda fitting when he doesn't speak. Plus, I can definitely see Gideon sending out minions to dirty their hands instead of doing it himself.

Either way, Gideon's a bastard, and the village slaughter is his fault.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Congrats Fromsoft! You've managed to make a game that I don't want to co-op in because of invasions! Thanks!

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I'm super, super bummed out right now.
    I just beat my head against Malenia for about 5 (!) hours. After around 2 hours I was able to get past Phase 1 somewhat consistently, but after 3 more hours I gave up and beat her with the Mimic Tear +10 ashes within half an hour.

Where to even begin? Why give a boss that has two phases and a LOT of HP health leech? With 62 DEX and a +25 Keen Uchigatana I could do *decent* damage but she regenerates so much health you basically have to drain her health bars without getting hit. Get hit, and the fight is reset by a minute or two. That's... terrible design..

Then the Waterfowl dance. I had already heard a lot of memes about this one and "Let me solo her". It turns out, the only way to avoid the first stage of the attack is to sprint away at full speed, and that literally doesn't work if you're too close when she initiates the attack. So you either spend *even more time* playing defensively and chipping away at her, or you risk getting hit by that and giving her a huge chunk of health back or even dying.

Phase 2 is where I just gave up. I could not find an opening on any attack. The Waterfowl dance version she does in this phase hits me whether I run away, and dodge timing doesn't matter either. But that's not even the bad part since she rarely used that attack. After any other attack that seems to leave her open she either immediatly jumps away before I can hit her, or she spawns a rot explosion on the ground forcing you to roll away.

The only videos I see of people beating her are either using builds that do insane damage and stagger her every 30s, or feature some lobotomized Malenia that barely attacks.

I know I have a few bosses left, but I am 100% sure that nothing can be as bad as this from this point on. What a huge low before the end of the game.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Malena was fucking amazing.

Also, yeah, nothing else in the game is nearly as hard.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    NG+ Fire Giant down first try. I'm, like level 130 in NG+ and bosses are now completely piss easy.

I died a 4 times to Rykard because the fight was completely new to me and it took me that long to understand the spear.

It is going to be interesting when I get to Maliketh again.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm super, super bummed out right now.
    I just beat my head against Malenia for about 5 (!) hours. After around 2 hours I was able to get past Phase 1 somewhat consistently, but after 3 more hours I gave up and beat her with the Mimic Tear +10 ashes within half an hour.

Where to even begin? Why give a boss that has two phases and a LOT of HP health leech? With 62 DEX and a +25 Keen Uchigatana I could do *decent* damage but she regenerates so much health you basically have to drain her health bars without getting hit. Get hit, and the fight is reset by a minute or two. That's... terrible design..

Then the Waterfowl dance. I had already heard a lot of memes about this one and "Let me solo her". It turns out, the only way to avoid the first stage of the attack is to sprint away at full speed, and that literally doesn't work if you're too close when she initiates the attack. So you either spend *even more time* playing defensively and chipping away at her, or you risk getting hit by that and giving her a huge chunk of health back or even dying.

Phase 2 is where I just gave up. I could not find an opening on any attack. The Waterfowl dance version she does in this phase hits me whether I run away, and dodge timing doesn't matter either. But that's not even the bad part since she rarely used that attack. After any other attack that seems to leave her open she either immediatly jumps away before I can hit her, or she spawns a rot explosion on the ground forcing you to roll away.

The only videos I see of people beating her are either using builds that do insane damage and stagger her every 30s, or feature some lobotomized Malenia that barely attacks.

I know I have a few bosses left, but I am 100% sure that nothing can be as bad as this from this point on. What a huge low before the end of the game.

You can actually dodge it by rotating behind her during her charge up, rolling through her as she makes her first swing, rolling again for the follow pulse, walking a bit, rolling away from the second set, then through and away from the final set. It's not easy, but even when I wasn't doing it perfect I was able to survive it after some practice.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Waterfowl dance is super frustrating because there is not really another attack in the game that requires the weird-ass dodge pattern to avoid

• Options
    Waterfowl dance is super frustrating because there is not really another attack in the game that requires the weird-ass dodge pattern to avoid

I love the fact that From put running away from people and jumping over AOE's as super effective defenses nobody ever uses.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I didn't even bother with Malenia, honestly.

I got to her second phase in a small handful of attempts, comparatively, but I did some mental math on the fact that she opened second phase with an attack that instagibbed me contrasted with the time it took to do each attempt so I could actually learn what the attack was, and seeing how I was already way the fuck tired of the game by then, I simply noped out and went to see about actually doing the rest of the mountaintop and continuing the plot to see if I could actually finish the game already.

(There was a bunch of stuff left, turned out)

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options

I love the fact that From put running away from people and jumping over AOE's as super effective defenses nobody ever uses.
    jumping over AoE's works like 30% of the time

This discussion has been closed.