Options

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The best couple in the movie was Makkari and Druid (sp?) hands down

Second best couple was Kingo and whoever he was talking to at the time.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    The best couple in the movie was Makkari and Druid (sp?) hands down

Second best couple was Kingo and whoever he was talking to at the time.

Druig

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    the most enduring love from the movie is Kumail and his new muscles

Marathon on
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Druig is so creepy, it bothered me that he was kinda hero-adjacent. Also I think Gilgamesh was the best one by far. His powers seemed to be being really tough and punching really hard? He probably could have fought Icarus and won. Sure he can't fly around and shoot eye lasers, but he seems pretty defensive. If Icarus attacked him he'd lose.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    The fact that people can't remember the heroes' names nor their relationships is telling. And yeah Druig was a fucking creeper.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Druig is supposed to be creepy. Mind control powers are always creepy.

It was also a bait and switch, because typically in the comics he's a villain. Because again, mind control.

• Options
    Man, Druig sucks

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    out of all the characters in Marvel in the Eternals movie the only one I had a vested interest in as a comic fanboy was Jon Snow's character, which IMO was kind of wasted
    they had the teaser for Black Knight and Blade with post-credits, so assuming he's coming back for Blade at least

Zavian on
  • Options
    McRhyno wrote: »
    The fact that people can't remember the heroes' names nor their relationships is telling. And yeah Druig was a fucking creeper.

For me it’s not that I can’t remember (except for my boy Gil who I forgot earlier). It’s that their names are all the same as other famous names throughout history, except spelled just a little different. So it’s easy to get confused.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I liked Druig (as a character). Like, his speech when they split up was on point. Druig, more than anyone, could have easily stopped all the killing, suffering, torture, etc. that he saw for thousands of years. And he had to just let it happen. And in the end, he just made a small, peaceful village. It wasn't good because, you know, mind control. But it seemed pretty restrained, and beyond the obvious (mind control!) it was pretty ideal.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    edit

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    I liked Druig (as a character). Like, his speech when they split up was on point. Druig, more than anyone, could have easily stopped all the killing, suffering, torture, etc. that he saw for thousands of years. And he had to just let it happen. And in the end, he just made a small, peaceful village. It wasn't good because, you know, mind control. But it seemed pretty restrained, and beyond the obvious (mind control!) it was pretty ideal.

Druig and Wanda, new besties.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Anecdotal, but Shang Chi seems to be much more well-regarded. Like, I get the sense people want more Shang-Chi while the Eternals are... shrug

Thor 2 got a mostly shrug reaction, didn't stop them from making Ragnarok.

Thor 2 made 200 million more than the first one.

Between endgame and Loki, thor 2 no might be one of the most referenced movies outside of the main crossovers

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    But no one cares about thor 2! People love fat Thor and the subsequently thin Thor. Hype train choo choo and it's all because of Taika Watiti

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Knocking off Gilgamesh in the Eternals sucked because he was the best character in the movie.

If I wanted to see more of any character going forward, it was him.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Anecdotal, but Shang Chi seems to be much more well-regarded. Like, I get the sense people want more Shang-Chi while the Eternals are... shrug

Thor 2 got a mostly shrug reaction, didn't stop them from making Ragnarok.

Thor 2 made 200 million more than the first one.

Between endgame and Loki, thor 2 no might be one of the most referenced movies outside of the main crossovers

What? Can you justify this, because other than AoS, I know no one who talks about Thor 2 other than the supporting group who had almost nothing to do with the story. To a large degree, if you erased Thor 2, it wouldn't even affect most of the MCU, barring one or two events.

I also question the comment about Thor having the most single char movies when only Iron Man really truly had 3+ single character movies. The next closest is Spiderman. Cap Civil War is essentially an Avengers movie and Thor 3 is a group move more than a Thor movie too.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Thor 2 is a major, major plot point in Endgame.

They even physically go back in time to Thor 2 and hang out there for awhile.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Thor 2 also has an infinty stone is is the first movie to even name them as such.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    IIRC it's also the movie to donk up the color scheme and cause them to be shuffled around from the comic Infinity Gem layout. I believe the Aether was meant to be yellow, and the Power Stone in Guardians was red, then they changed the Aether to red at the last minute. There are some stills floating around of Guardians featuring a red Infinity Stone. But tbh, the change to purple was a good one. Made those climactic scenes very pretty.

Also I will never stop being mad that Wanda got her very red powers and eyes from the yellow Mind Stone...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IIRC it's also the movie to donk up the color scheme and cause them to be shuffled around from the comic Infinity Gem layout. I believe the Aether was meant to be yellow, and the Power Stone in Guardians was red, then they changed the Aether to red at the last minute. There are some stills floating around of Guardians featuring a red Infinity Stone. But tbh, the change to purple was a good one. Made those climactic scenes very pretty.

Also I will never stop being mad that Wanda got her very red powers and eyes from the yellow Mind Stone...

WandaVision spoilers
    Her power is her own, and is Chaos Magic. The mind stone just helped her unlock them.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I shall shift my ire to Danvers glowing yellow rather than blue!

But I guess she does at least have a little rainbow blue in there while she's shlorping up energy.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Didn't the scepter containing the Mind Stone have blue effects? Blue eyes for controlled people, blue energy blasts, etc.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Knocking off Gilgamesh in the Eternals sucked because he was the best character in the movie.

Fortunately, since the Eternals were all built by Arishem, there's a possibility he's got an entire ware house full of spare Gilgameshes (Gilgameshi?) just waiting to be woken up and sent out to shepherd another planet through gestating a celestial.

• Options
    Didn't the scepter containing the Mind Stone have blue effects? Blue eyes for controlled people, blue energy blasts, etc.

Yes

• Options

Indubitably, as the comic Mind Gem is blue! They hadn't donked up the colors yet.

Space is purple though, so I dunno if they didn't initially intend to have the Tesseract turn out to be an Infinity Stone at that point?

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Indubitably, as the comic Mind Gem is blue! They hadn't donked up the colors yet.

Space is purple though, so I dunno if they didn't initially intend to have the Tesseract turn out to be an Infinity Stone at that point?

I could be wrong, but I think they originally hinted that the Tesseract was the cosmic cube. But then it all changed on the fly to become an infinity stone.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Fortunately, since the Eternals were all built by Arishem, there's a possibility he's got an entire ware house full of spare Gilgameshes (Gilgameshi?) just waiting to be woken up and sent out to shepherd another planet through gestating a celestial.

Gilgami!

plural form of a single Gilgamum

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I think they originally hinted that the Tesseract was the cosmic cube. But then it all changed on the fly to become an infinity stone.

Heck, in the first Avengers, they were implying a close relationship between the Tesseract and the Scepter. Not like they were 2 different Stones.

• Options
    Fury literally says the scepter is powered by the cube at one point.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Fury literally says the scepter is powered by the cube at one point.

They didn’t have concrete plans to do the Infinity Gauntlet story until they were working on GotG and Gunn asked if the Macguffin could be an infinity stone. They filmed the Thor 2 post credit scene, the first time they said the words Infinity Stone, on Gunns set.

Before then, the Tesseract was pretty obviously a Cosmic Cube.

Edit - wrong way around. Feige asked Gunn to make the macguffin an infinity stone.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    In light of this discussion, one thing I find to be very impressive about the MCU is how flexible they’ve been able to be with such a huge machine with all these moving parts.

They were able to pivot to an infinity gauntlet backbone narrative on the fly and executed it quite well. And now with how they’ve had to reshuffle much of phase 4 to accommodate Covid and Sony not moving the release date for NWH and were still able to keep all their ducks in a row.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    In light of this discussion, one thing I find to be very impressive about the MCU is how flexible they’ve been able to be with such a huge machine with all these moving parts.

They were able to pivot to an infinity gauntlet backbone narrative on the fly and executed it quite well. And now with how they’ve had to reshuffle much of phase 4 to accommodate Covid and Sony not moving the release date for NWH and were still able to keep all their ducks in a row.

Well, Age of Ultron suffered a bit from that pivot.

Really, the one thing that stands out to me is the retcon that Fury had Carol on speed dial and didn't push that button until the Snap.

And, I suppose, Fury and/or Talos not offering to help Peter, since the whole ID reveal was their fault. Although I guess Beck had to have known before he met Spidey. Hell, the movie even supports that.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I do kind of miss the original idea of the MCU being a more grounded thing. The whole Iron Man 2 through Winter Soldier era of films was still my favorite.

It's not that I dislike how it went, I have a blast going along for the ride, but I thought caps story was going to be very, very different.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I mean we did just have Black Widow

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like the MCU series have really taken over the more "grounded" storytelling. Much more time given over to character moments and interactions, much much less time spent on spectacle. Only Moon Knight and WandaVision have had big CG-fest finales, and the vast bulk of even those series is mostly just... people. Doing people things.

At the same time, I think the MCU has also earned the chance to get wilder and wilder. It's proven time and again that it can do some crazy shit and make it great. And for me, a huge problem with earlier hero movie entries was they didn't get nearly crazy enough. If we ever roll around to something like getting the Phoenix Saga, I fully expect them to go crazy with it instead of the weak crap we got with the first live-action X-Men.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    As to Age of Ultron, I wonder how much of it was at the hands of Joss and not being able to handle not being in power again, in light of everything else we've learned. He got big on TV to the point he could choose to stop working with fox, then got Avengers and looked really big, but Marvel was just like "we're going to do things our way, and you WILL work with us".

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think the best part about their ability to adapt and change plots on the fly is the fact that they ended up with the situation being that half of the damn infinity stones are at one point within a 20 block radius of each other. "Spread across the virgin universe" my ass. :) And they still manage to not only poke a bit of fun at it but also make it work.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I mean we did just have Black Widow

Black Widow had random KGB spy able to finance and run a world spanning spy organization staffed by mind controlled super spies, all from the comfort of an ENORMOUS FLYING FORTRESS.

Seriously, that thing made the helicarrier look like a VW bug.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    That fact is probably why the Soul Stone was on Vormir.

This discussion has been closed.