As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    \Psykoma if you do choose to get a card, check EVGA's website. They seem to have the lowest prices of anywhere I've seen when they actually have stock, and they make good cards and have decent customer support AFAIK, right now there's one (relatively low priced but still expensive if you ask me) base 3080 model in stock, as well as some much more expensive 3080ti's, no 3070ti's though. The 3080 12GB models are probably a bad deal, several hundred dollars more for base 3080 chipset performance with just 2GB more RAM.

I looked at the EVGA website, but it doesn't seem like they have a canadian distribution center, and ever since covid the odds of getting a package from the USA to Canada on time is pretty slim, plus duties and all that. I've also had three orders from the states over the past two years just not show up at all even.

I ended up getting an MSI 3070 ti from a local pc parts store though, so I'm happy with that.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    EVGA does ship to canada but it'll cost more yeah
    if you found a card local that's even better, congrats!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    EVGA is pretty decent with the shipping, I’ve made purchases through them directly 3 times. Going back to when I did a step-up program from an 8600gt to an 8800gt.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    ki1nbkobx5o6.jpg

It so pretttty

It's also so damn big. Like the cooling equipment on it is two inches thick. At least it comes with a mounting arm to prevent sag, which even my surprisingly smaller 2070 was dealing with a bit, and this one has 1.46kg to the 2070's 1kg
    It's going to be like three weeks before I'm back with my desktop to actually be able to use it though :'(

Psykoma on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    EVGA is pretty decent with the shipping, I’ve made purchases through them directly 3 times. Going back to when I did a step-up program from an 8600gt to an 8800gt.

Yep, just got one for an employee and it was order to door in 4 days, and I'm on the opposite side of the country

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

NEWS: Delorean has unveiled their Alpha 5 EV.

Base Performance Model Launch Specs:
    • 0-60 mph: 2.99 seconds
    • Top Speed: 155 mph
    • Range: 300+ miles
    • Battery: 100 kWh+
    • Drag Coefficient: 0.23 Cd
    • Physical unveil in August at Pebble Beach

can't say i'm a fan

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    They managed to make a Delorean look like a boring ass Tesla. Looks like they sanded off anything remotely cool about it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Like in a vacuum I'm at least interested, but as a "deloroean" they missed the mark.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    How am I supposed to handle flux dispersal during time travel without the stainless steel construction?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    A stainless steel car would basically flatten the other car in a head on collision

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    On one hand I'm disappointed that they didn't list the 0 to 88 mph time.

On the other hand, I'm happy not to see an 88 callout.

Nazis, they ruin everything.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The DeLorean was always just an ugly car with gull wing doors so this new seems like it fits the bill pretty well

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It looks like a concept car that you'd hope would never see production. So it fits right in with the DeLorean brand.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The DeLorean was always just an ugly car with gull wing doors so this new seems like it fits the bill pretty well

honestly i just wish it was at least ugly in an interesting way

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I think it looks fine if forgettable

I'm more curious about who the heck is behind the "DeLorean" revival than anything else, given that John DeLorean himself has been dead for 17 years

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    It just looks like a rebadged BMW i8 with the i8's gullwing door hinges moved from the A pillar to the roof.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't care how it looks any more than I care how a Lambo looks because I can't fucking afford one and never will. Call me when an EV can go 450+ miles and It's not over 55 grand.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't care how it looks any more than I care how a Lambo looks because I can't fucking afford one and never will. Call me when an EV can go 450+ miles and It's not over 55 grand.

Almost nothing hits 450 miles at any price, but the Model 3 with the long range battery option gets around 360 and is somewhere around $45k, I believe.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    But on the other hand it's a tesla

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    But on the other hand it's a tesla

That is the big drawback, yeah. But if price and range are the only concerns, it’s basically the best option, unfortunately.

• Options

Almost nothing hits 450 miles at any price, but the Model 3 with the long range battery option gets around 360 and is somewhere around $45k, I believe.

I'm aware nothing hits that but I won't accept anything less. I am not buying a car that can't leave my relatively small home state and last I checked the Model 3 needs some $8k in upgrades above the base MSRP to be usable outside of Southern California climate.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    No worries, not trying to sell you a Tesla. If you drive long distances, EVs just don’t make sense currently, outside of a few areas of the country. We still have a lonnnnnng way to go.

• Options

I'm aware nothing hits that but I won't accept anything less. I am not buying a car that can't leave my relatively small home state and last I checked the Model 3 needs some $8k in upgrades above the base MSRP to be usable outside of Southern California climate.

just buy two

you can leave one at the border for when you need to go out of state

and I guess buy another car for every other cardinal direction you might want to go in

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

just buy two

and I guess buy another car for every other cardinal direction you might want to go in

Just buy new a new one every time you run out of charge? Booster stages for travel? I can dig it.

• Options
    Personally I have my doubts EVs make much real sense. I'd rather see more short and long-range electrified public transit. EVs are heavy as shit and will tear our Midwest roads to pieces.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

just buy two

Like changing your horse at a coaching inn! If we can come up with a snappy vowel-less name we'll be billionaires

STGR, coming soon

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Time to go for true horseless carriages

• Options

How many cars can? Most small compacts and sedans are only getting 300-400 miles at most due to gas tank size. 300 odd miles is a fine range. Now if you want to wait till charging infrastructure is more broadly available along with quicker charging times, well that would make sense to me.

• Options
    You can carry multiple gas cans mad max style

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

How many cars can? Most small compacts and sedans are only getting 300-400 miles at most due to gas tank size. 300 odd miles is a fine range. Now if you want to wait till charging infrastructure is more broadly available along with quicker charging times, well that would make sense to me.

Uh...I can refuel a tank in 2 minutes...

• Options

How about considering a hybrid car? Pretty fuel efficient and you won't get stuck. Hundred or so miles to the gallon

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Personally I have my doubts EVs make much real sense. I'd rather see more short and long-range electrified public transit. EVs are heavy as shit and will tear our Midwest roads to pieces.

Yeah those EV (4K to 5k) which weight comparable to the F150 (4K to 5k) are really doing a number to the roads.

A single 18 wheeler does the same amount of damage as 9k cars to a road. Switching consumers to EVs won’t have a negative impact. Removing gas hauling 18 wheelers on the other hand…

https://www.gao.gov/products/109954

• Options

and most modern electrics let you fast charge in 20 to get like another 200 miles of range. Is 20 minutes going to inconvenience you that much on a road trip? You should be getting up and moving around every couple hours anyways.

I mean it sucks that our infrastructure is bad enough that a car is the primary way to move moderate to long distances anyways versus a train and our work structure discourages us from taking decent chunks of time off, but the charge time issue is rapidly going away.

Now if you can't charge at home though, that is a problem that still needs to be surmounted. Charging at a station should only be needed for driving outside of the standard patterns most people move in.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    One of the unexpected things I miss about smoking cigarettes is that it provided a strong incentive to walk around for a while after gassing up on long trips. If my car can provide a similar spur while helping to save the planet I am entirely on board.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Also like, as much as I'm down with electric vehicles, they aren't the solution. Big Rigs on the roads and car centric cities are the problems. There is no way we move the entire world over to electric in any kind of decent time scale when we're trying to do it for what amounts to single occupant vehicles. There is a need for cars, certainly, but it shouldn't be the way the majority of the populace moves around.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

I'm more curious about who the heck is behind the "DeLorean" revival than anything else, given that John DeLorean himself has been dead for 17 years
    Yeah, my understanding is that "DeLorean" the company was dead and buried even before Back To The Future came out.

The trademark was re-registered back in the late 90s, but my understanding is that the person who claimed the vacated IP has done nothing with it for the last 25 years, and has no ties whatsoever to the original DeLorean company.

This smacks of a techbro wanting to recreate their childhood dream car, paying a huge amount to license the name, and hiring a bunch of ex-tesla engineers to slap gullwings on a roadster. It's not in any way a serious manufacturing company.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I almost never care about what the outside of a car looks like. I care about the interior because I have to look at that, and the inside of Teslas are an obnoxious minimalist design with a tablet that makes it harder to drive.

Give me all the buttons, switches, and knobs.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

just buy two

Like changing your horse at a coaching inn! If we can come up with a snappy vowel-less name we'll be billionaires

STGR, coming soon
    TSLA XPRSS

(Ok, I cheated)

• Options
    Archangle wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Yeah, my understanding is that "DeLorean" the company was dead and buried even before Back To The Future came out.

The trademark was re-registered back in the late 90s, but my understanding is that the person who claimed the vacated IP has done nothing with it for the last 25 years, and has no ties whatsoever to the original DeLorean company.

This smacks of a techbro wanting to recreate their childhood dream car, paying a huge amount to license the name, and hiring a bunch of ex-tesla engineers to slap gullwings on a roadster. It's not in any way a serious manufacturing company.

Yea there is a DeLorean motor company out of Texas that was involved as a parts and service center during the initial run back in 1985, and bought all the extra parts in the 90s and still operates selling spares and assembling a few "new" DMC-12 every year, but from what I can tell they aren't associated with this new venture at all.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I almost never care about what the outside of a car looks like. I care about the interior because I have to look at that, and the inside of Teslas are an obnoxious minimalist design with a tablet that makes it harder to drive.

Give me all the buttons, switches, and knobs.

I don't understand how having a giant illuminated TV on your dashboard could be anything but a liability and distraction from keeping your eyes on the road, especially while night driving

This discussion has been closed.