Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

I'm hardly the biggest Project Aces fan in this thread I would've thought (or for that matter, Bandai Namco more broadly), but thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I would have to assume they have other projects in mind going down the road, but as it stands, it's hard to picture that Project Aces themselves warrant their own technical separate entity even as successful as Ace Combat7 was. It's not bad news, of course--this probably strongly guarantees an Ace Combat 8 down the line if not already in the works (I just haven't heard anything); it's less likely to be a platform exclusive either, which is a disappointing past tendency over at Namco. Years ago we had some fun jokes at the news that Project Aces had widely considered various Strangereal spin-offs that never happened ("Detective story set in the Osean capital, Oured."), so maybe this is them finally acting on that.

Honestly, I'd just settle for some partnership content for Flight Simulator. :lol: But since that game won't be coming to Playstation 5, I guess it's not in the cards.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Oh wow, so Microsoft are going to buy them and then start on Crimson Skies 2, right?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    In streaming app questions does anybody have issues with live streams on the ESPN app on a Series? I get all sorts of jitter on games, particularly when the camera pans

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Oh wow, so Microsoft are going to buy them and then start on Crimson Skies 2, right?

You'll need to buy enough MS stock to ask the question at a shareholders meeting

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    In streaming app questions does anybody have issues with live streams on the ESPN app on a Series? I get all sorts of jitter on games, particularly when the camera pans

This sounds like either a source issue (anything from the live feed up to the delivered stream to your device) or something horrific in their video decoder implementation.

My guess is it's "the stream went fucky", as the live-feed re-encode->propagate loop is the most ridiculously nightmarish mire of complexity and "no ask them". (Nobody, nobody has all the widgets. Everyone's ingesting from someone else.) Jitter in live feeds is a real common complaint.

NB I do not work for ESPN, but I have spent a very very long time with streaming video as a whole.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

*cough* Crimsons Skies 3 *cough*
    bd5aca71c84cd55a6a3575fe7668f457.jpg

6a72a823a88f86db21c0f00cfd9245a3--high-road-retro-games.jpg

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

This sounds like either a source issue (anything from the live feed up to the delivered stream to your device) or something horrific in their video decoder implementation.

My guess is it's "the stream went fucky", as the live-feed re-encode->propagate loop is the most ridiculously nightmarish mire of complexity and "no ask them". (Nobody, nobody has all the widgets. Everyone's ingesting from someone else.) Jitter in live feeds is a real common complaint.

NB I do not work for ESPN, but I have spent a very very long time with streaming video as a whole.

Encoding issue was my thought as well given that it's most apparent on pans when a bunch of pixels would be changing but the feed is fine on the phone app. Granted they could be doing something different on mobile but given how shit most of ESPNs tech offerings are I'd be more than a little surprised if they nailed a different stack on mobile

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    New Cuphead DLC, does the Steve parry feel off now? And it feels like the spread weapon got a nerf. I can't help but feel like they want you to play Chalice in the new area and are making the bosses tuned to her abilities and not Cuphead's.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Encoding issue was my thought as well given that it's most apparent on pans when a bunch of pixels would be changing but the feed is fine on the phone app. Granted they could be doing something different on mobile but given how shit most of ESPNs tech offerings are I'd be more than a little surprised if they nailed a different stack on mobile

Likely are, you just don't see it, as it's on the codec level. (iPhones almost always end up with HLS feeds, Android can use HLS or other things, etc.) That, plus your TV is a much, much bigger screen, so they're probably trying to stuff a higher resolution/frame rate down to it, as opposed to your phone, which in most cases can have 1080p and be indistinguishable from anything else.

There's also stuff like HDR/60FPS/you name it where the "mobile" aspect of support is different than what's available on your average entertainment center/fixed location device.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

You'll need to buy enough MS stock to ask the question at a shareholders meeting

Um… do you REALLY want that question asked at the meeting?

Because, uh, that can be arranged. No guarantee they’ll answer, but if you REALLY want…

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Um… do you REALLY want that question asked at the meeting?

Because, uh, that can be arranged. No guarantee they’ll answer, but if you REALLY want…

What if we get John Cena to ask?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I mean, you can do that, but you might not like what you get in return...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/e7fQtLSdgkQ

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I mean, you can do that, but you might not like what you get in return...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/e7fQtLSdgkQ

Honestly, $40,000 in Nintendo is probably not a terrible investment, all things considered.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Me: Three day weekend! Plenty of time to start and play SRIV!

Xbox: SRIV looks corrupt. You should re-download the 12GB.

All Digital Future: I don't understand your complaint about bandwidth caps. Everybody has gigabit throughput!

• Options
    edited July 2022

All Digital Future: I don't understand your complaint about bandwidth caps. Everybody has gigabit throughput!

:bro: :heartbreak:
    Edit: when did British brofist break?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/gameswithgold/xbox

The Games with Gold web page is gone.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold?xr=shellnav#gameswithgold

• Options

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold?xr=shellnav#gameswithgold

Well that's way less use friendly

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My timing was pretty good, Children of Morta goes off Gamepass on July 15th. Should be enough time to clear it, yet. Also, Carrion is worth a short playthrough if you never tried it, likewise going away on July 15.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Carrion desperately needs a map.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Carrion desperately needs a map.

I said the same thing when I played it. Twice. "Alien meat balls don't have maps," is not a damn excuse.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    so... uh... anybody happen to go/are at anime expo 2022? :V

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    so... uh... anybody happen to go/are at anime expo 2022? :V

Why? Did something Xbox related happen?

• Options
    Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis is on the xbox... so ... yes? :V

• Options

Okay, maybe lead off with that next time?

• Options

I mean, if it bothers you so much just report my post?

• Options
    edited July 2022

I think I wasn't clear enough about my tone, which has lead to a misunderstanding. Here, let me fix that.

Okay, maybe lead off with that next time? :smiley:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I think I wasn't clear enough about my tone, which has lead to a misunderstanding. Here, let me fix that.

Okay, maybe lead off with that next time? :smiley:

ah, that makes all the difference!

but they ran out of digital codes, or at least the free ones I guess... so nevermind if someone is there.

edit: oh, there's also a JoJo fighting game coming out if you're into that.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Played through the Cuphead DLC: The Delicious Last Course. After some time to re-accustom ourselves to the flow and rhythm of gameplay (and completely redo our controls, I have no idea what happened there), our skills (me and my co-op partner) came right back. It's hard to say anything is "worth" a 5 year wait, but the animation in all of this DLC is just incredible beyond words. They added three new weapons and an extremely tempting new charm (parries produce new health points at certain milestones), in addition to the new playable Chalice character who has completely different skills. Some of the new weapons feel flatly superior, so my old stand by arsenal did depreciate. I feel like replaying the entire game as Chalice would be worthwhile, she's super interesting, but in the interest of getting right to it, we did beat the DLC as the OG characters (you can't both play Chalice at once, which I think sucks). One thing that's a bit odd with the boss fights in this DLC, it often seemed as if phase 1 was wildly the hardest part of the whole battle, for several of them. That almost never happened in the original game fights.

I would love if it if a QOL update happened at some point in the future for the game. What I'd like to see (but do not actually EXPECT to see):
    -online co-op, even crossplay online
    -assist options beyond the Simple mode (which I think is bad, honestly)
    -allow picking the same characters in co-op (with color change to avoid confusion), maybe make Mugman a bit different than Cuphead if they go through with it?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Started up SRIV past the opening mission. And, it's okay.

The only significant complaint I have is that accessing the gateway menu does not pause the outside world.

• Options
    The Saints Row games have always been passable from a gameplay perspective; they're mostly vessels for extremely dumb shit to happen.

• Options
    Started up SRIV past the opening mission. And, it's okay.

The only significant complaint I have is that accessing the gateway menu does not pause the outside world.

Saints Row IV has co-op and I think that once you set it to offline mode pausing works as if you were in true single player mode, iirc? It's been a while.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I've never really played any of the other Saints Row games but I played 4 and fucking loved it. But GTA style games aren't really my thing.

But if you have Keith David then I'm all in.

• Options
    It's just...okay. Saints Row 2 is the pinnacle for me. Once the series went all-in on the crazy, it left a little something to be desired.

• Options
    It's just...okay. Saints Row 2 is the pinnacle for me. Once the series went all-in on the crazy, it left a little something to be desired.

Conversely, for me the inclusion of Roddy Piper and Keith David led to a moment where I had to stop playing and retrieve the controller because I'd fallen off my couch from laughing. Also, the continual skewering of Mass Effect helped.

I feel like if after the first mission you're not like "okay. Okay that's what we're doing? Okay I'm here for this." then yeah, just bail on 4. I lost my shit on that mission when the music kicked in, and it was a perfect beginning to one of my favorite games.

• Options
    The inevitable is upon us: later this year, Games with Gold will stop including Xbox 360 titles. Considering the backwards compatibility program is no longer being expanded, it's hard to see how this could go any other way--for comparison, Sony ended inclusion of PS3 and PSVita titles for Playstation Plus (the obvious inspiration for GWG) back in early 2019.

Xbox 360 games are sold via the legacy part of the Xbox Marketplace (and thus, once you have a license, there's no way to revoke it short of removing the product from the storefront). Accordingly, you'll still be able to download said titles; they just won't be giving out more of them as part of GWG.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    They’ve been repeating offers anyhow. Torchlight was already a Games with Gold a couple years back and I’m sure others have been as well.

• Options
    Only August and September left for them to add Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, then. I guess they could cheat and do the XB1 Ezio Collection instead. (I'm saying this because nearly the entire series, notably not including Ass Bro, has been given out over time on GWG).

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Played through the Cuphead DLC: The Delicious Last Course. After some time to re-accustom ourselves to the flow and rhythm of gameplay (and completely redo our controls, I have no idea what happened there), our skills (me and my co-op partner) came right back. It's hard to say anything is "worth" a 5 year wait, but the animation in all of this DLC is just incredible beyond words. They added three new weapons and an extremely tempting new charm (parries produce new health points at certain milestones), in addition to the new playable Chalice character who has completely different skills. Some of the new weapons feel flatly superior, so my old stand by arsenal did depreciate. I feel like replaying the entire game as Chalice would be worthwhile, she's super interesting, but in the interest of getting right to it, we did beat the DLC as the OG characters (you can't both play Chalice at once, which I think sucks). One thing that's a bit odd with the boss fights in this DLC, it often seemed as if phase 1 was wildly the hardest part of the whole battle, for several of them. That almost never happened in the original game fights.

I would love if it if a QOL update happened at some point in the future for the game. What I'd like to see (but do not actually EXPECT to see):
    -allow picking the same characters in co-op (with color change to avoid confusion), maybe make Mugman a bit different than Cuphead if they go through with it?

Did you beat the Horse Knight with Cuphead? He has one move that can only be countered with Chalice's parry dash.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Did you beat the Horse Knight with Cuphead? He has one move that can only be countered with Chalice's parry dash.

Which move do you mean? You can parry every move with the proper timing and spacing. And if you're not feeling it, you can also just wait a move out, there's no penalty for doing so. Something to keep in mind, Chalice's dash parry is not that different from dashing and then immediately parrying as the other two.