As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Oh they don't bite...
    ...they stab you with their syringe-like proboscis mouth-stabber and inject you with digestive neurotoxic venom.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Oh they don't bite...
    ...they stab you with their syringe-like proboscis mouth-stabber and inject you with digestive neurotoxic venom.

Oh that's so much better

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    2bx1oRY.jpg

Found this lad while getting ready to shower, he was big enough to be worrying, then worryingly good at hiding given his size once I had secured bug containment materials. Picture is of the underside, didn't feel like trying to get a proper photoshoot in. Legs were very flaily, and some very beefy antennae.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    There is no way I'm going to provide some kind of exact match, but it's a Longhorned beetle.

Examples of common brown longhorned beetles are Prionid beetles, brown spruce longhorned beetle, velvet longhorn beetle etc

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hmm, chucking the name into google that definitely looks right. Wood eater, which is definitely insight on how it may have gotten in, since woodturning goes on in the basement here.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Been finding like one of these a day chilling in my house. It's about 6mm long. Never seen them before. Any ideas?

bpsyvtipw6io.jpg

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I think it's some kind of broadnosed weevil (like a strawberry root weevil or Vine weevil), which would make sense if you have a garden because they love eating the leaves of your rhodedendron, bergenia or berry plants (blackberries, strawberries etc).

Comparison image for a Strawberry root weevil
    medium.jpeg

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I think you nailed it. We have strawberries and raspberries in the garden. Per the University of Minnesota the strawberry root weevil is the most common house invading weevil in Minnesota. They come in looking for moisture. We are in central Minnesota and experiencing a severe drought. So that all adds up! Nicely done.

Thankfully it appears they will go away on their own.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Found a cool double-reverse-bug in the Pacific northwest today

bqqyiML_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Edit:
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    If you had a bunch of wasps singing songs about losing their virginity, you would have a Hymenoptera Hymen Opera

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Did you notice the antennas and went "Wait, wasps are NOT supposed to have antennaes like that?".

Those are actually moths, aptly named Hornet Moths. You can tell from the pattern that these particular examples are American Hornet Moth (Sesia tibiale)

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Did you notice the antennas and went "Wait, wasps are NOT supposed to have antennaes like that?".

Those are actually moths, aptly named Hornet Moths. You can tell from the pattern that these particular examples are American Hornet Moth (Sesia tibiale)

Also, for that particular picture, isn't there supposed to be a stinger on a wasp? Where would the stingers be when two of them are connected like that

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    What I actually thought was "wow, it's been so hot during this heat wave that those 2 bugs melted togther"

• Options

They fooled me! I figured it was just wasps mating or something.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I came home yesterday and found something on my door. On closer inspection, it almost looked like an egg in a smear of some kind of yuckus. I tried to pick it up with some tweezers and a cotton pad, but it turned out it wasn't an egg but perhaps some kind of winged beetle? Just curious what it might be. It was having a hard time. Not entirely sure why it was in that smear of yuckus.

6mMT0sL.png

• Options
    edited August 2022
    a) all beetles have wings. All of them (Edit: Well, almost all of them. And they're not always functional either. Rove beetles and some ground beetles either have very small wings or sometimes fused elytra). While they're generally not very gracious flyers (a flying stag beetles is...uh. I'll just let you judge by yourself).
    b) That juice is "I had an accident and now all of my bug blood is leaking". Bugs have hemolymph instead of blood (which is different from blood in that it's not for providing cells with oxygen), but it's very leaky anyway.
    c) At a glance it looks like a Drugstore beetle (aka biscuit beetle. 2-4mm long. Likes to eat your dry foodstuffs)

Drugstore beetle from different angles
    Drugstore_beetle_03.jpg

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    That stag beetle may not be a graceful flyer, but it's a pretty bug none the less.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    That stag beetle may not be a graceful flyer, but it's a pretty bug none the less.

I love that the majority of the video seems like it trying everything it can to not fly until it finally sighs and mutters "I guess we're doing this" followed by a blackout drunk helicopter pilot version of flying.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    NatGeo had a really cool bug today! Just wanted to share:
    vshvepxiip81.png
    Tweet is a video of a wide-footed treehopper.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    helloooo again

remember how I was renting a place a few years ago and then there was a wasp nest in the wall

well, I'm renting a new place and,

zhbkk58i3gw9.png

I'm struggling to get a better picture than this bc there are a ton of 'em, but, is this - sigh - wasps in my wall again? (they've been coming in and out of that hole for several days) If it's not a good enough photo I'll try again !!

they look a liiiiittle beelike to my untrained eye so I have some hope;

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Those are most likely wasps, sorry Bleric : (

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Is there anything that calms wasps down? Like smoke does with bees?

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Is there anything that calms wasps down? Like smoke does with bees?

The warm embrace of death

• Options
    While a free-built nest can to some degree be transplanted a nest that's built into a crack just can't be dealt with without killing all the wasps.

Call an exterminator.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Came home from getting breakfast at the local combination coffee shop and board-game bar to see this rather enormous insectoid being prepping a wall-jump next to my front door. Hopefully the siding gives you a decent impression of its scale.
    pggt21w8qa2m.jpg

I'm in central North Carolina and never seen one of these before! My guess is some kind of catydid?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I'm NOT good at grasshoppers, katydids etc so disclaimer.
    But, given the shape it's definitely a Leaf Katydid, and given the size of the legs it's not an Anglewing but instead either an Oblong-winged Katydid (like the...Oblong-winged Katydid, Amblycorypha oblongifolia) or one of the Scudder's Bush Katydids like Texas Bush Katydid (Scudderia texensis) or Curvetailed Bush Katydid (Scudderia curvicauda) or some other similar species.

Frankly, North Carolina has over a dozen species that look almost like that so that I can't tell them apart unless I had an official identification guide and probably not even then (many species require dissection or at least a physical specimen and a microscope to tell them apart).

P.S Probably an Oblong-winged Katydid, because the eyes don't look quite right for a Scudderia.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Time for another round of Outdoor Bugs Inside. This one spooked someone that was vacuuming, and is currently at large after a failed attempt to capture it. A few inches long, central Iowa.
    Ljwsw6Z.jpg
    :edit: Hmm, suspiciously similar in overall shape to the Katydid two posts up.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that's a Fork-tailed Bush Katydid.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Katydids are so cute.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I got to go to camp for a week in Southeastern Virginia. I met some cool bug friends while I was there! They all survived all of their encounters with me.

Cool guy chilling on my uniform shirt one morning:
    o48ccygnl8i2.jpg
    gh734drgly5k.jpg

Cool beetle friend with massive jaws just chilling on the floor of my tent platform of an evening:
    m4j4ulph7cbg.jpg

Roger the Daddy Longlegs and his longlegs partaaay: (Roger was basically with me the whole time I was there.)
    tm5ddhkjboq2.jpg

Assorted really pretty dragonflies:
    6mih8aq86wz1.jpg
    ggpxluf34h4w.jpg

Neat moth:
    ktn2jn56vfig.jpg

Annie the Ant carrying a sack lunch:
    lmb0aya0tydg.jpg
    x34brtaacveg.jpg

Weird green grasshopperish thing (interesting legs):
    77l7uuc49zay.jpg

Biggest damn wolf-spider I've ever seen (as big as my palm); got shooed out of my tent with a broom:
    izbxw773nvxu.jpg
    55kn242tc1ke.jpg
    becjgfvykcov.jpg

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that's a Fork-tailed Bush Katydid.

That looks like a good guess.
    It looks like a female from the Scudder's bush katydid genus (Scudderia) and other species tend to look somewhat different. For one thing the brown colouration of the reproductive organ is rare outside Fork-tailed bush katydids, and the species that do have that colouration, like Treetop Bush Katydids, look otherwise somewhat different (with a black stripe along the upper edge of the wing and frequently a brownish underside).

Disclaimer: I'm terrible at grasshopper identification.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I got to go to camp for a week in Southeastern Virginia. I met some cool bug friends while I was there! They all survived all of their encounters with me.

Cool guy chilling on my uniform shirt one morning:
    o48ccygnl8i2.jpg
    gh734drgly5k.jpg

Cool beetle friend with massive jaws just chilling on the floor of my tent platform of an evening:
    m4j4ulph7cbg.jpg

Roger the Daddy Longlegs and his longlegs partaaay: (Roger was basically with me the whole time I was there.)
    tm5ddhkjboq2.jpg

Assorted really pretty dragonflies:
    6mih8aq86wz1.jpg
    ggpxluf34h4w.jpg

Neat moth:
    ktn2jn56vfig.jpg

Annie the Ant carrying a sack lunch:
    lmb0aya0tydg.jpg
    x34brtaacveg.jpg

Weird green grasshopperish thing (interesting legs):
    77l7uuc49zay.jpg

Biggest damn wolf-spider I've ever seen (as big as my palm); got shooed out of my tent with a broom:
    izbxw773nvxu.jpg
    55kn242tc1ke.jpg
    becjgfvykcov.jpg

Uniform Chilling Guy: Leaffooted bug nymph. Of some kind.
    Cool big jaw beetle: Kind of fuzzy picture and hard to get an idea of how big it is...but Pole borer beetle maybe? If it's about 1-2cm big (half-inch or slightly bigger).
    Dragonflies: First is an eastern pondhawk. Can't give you a good ID on the second.
    Grasshopperish thing: Narrow-winged Tree Cricket

P.S: Annie is probably an eastern black carpenter ant. The torso/abdomen ratios and visible segmentation on the abdomen are right for a carpenter ant and the neararctic carpenter ant tends to be reddish.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wow dragonfly species have amazing names!

Pondhawk
    Shadow Darner
    Blue Corporal
    Flame Skimmer
    Widow Skimmer

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So sorry for the super blurry photos.

Saw this guy on the window outside the Gym today, he had a long hooked tail with what looked like a stinger on the end.

Winnipeg MB / north of Minnesota if that helps.
    at594amrnrs8.jpeg
    h0ydj9ex8d8f.jpeg

Bonus question, I swear I saw a similar guy some 30years ago that was white or translucent and ground bound.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Despite the blurry photos...it's this guy, Pelecinus polyturator (American pelicinid wasp) which is the only Pelecinid wasp that lives in or near Canada.

P.S: There are two other species of pelecinid wasps, but they're in mexico&south america.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Interesting bug this weekend in Virginia:
    Ud7dQEJl.jpg

I looked at the head and my brain said "fly" but it's way bigger than a housefly, like an inch long front to back. Lens suggests this is some kind of robber fly, whose M.O. is apparently to sit around waiting for another bug to fly past, then catch and eat them.

It wasn't me, it was the onefive-armed manfly!

• Options
    That is a Robber fly. More specificly it's a "Red-footed Cannibal Fly" (Promachus rufipes)

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I had two bugs to identify, we found one of or plant's leaves completely devoured by these blue gray caterpillar looking things.

I identified them as sawfly larvae which is funny cause last week I took a picture of a orange and black sawfly one our dill flowers while I was taking a picture of this black swallowtail caterpillar
    jayhqqj3a0kc.jpg

The one I can't identify though is this large fly on my chive flowers. It's super docile that I can even pet it with my finger and it will not fly away.
    l6qzfz479ece.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention, I live in Quebec which narrows the search quite a bit as winter is very harsh on many insects.

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Handkor wrote: »
    I had two bugs to identify, we found one of or plant's leaves completely devoured by these blue gray caterpillar looking things.

I identified them as sawfly larvae which is funny cause last week I took a picture of a orange and black sawfly one our dill flowers while I was taking a picture of this black swallowtail caterpillar
    jayhqqj3a0kc.jpg

The one I can't identify though is this large fly on my chive flowers. It's super docile that I can even pet it with my finger and it will not fly away.
    l6qzfz479ece.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention, I live in Quebec which narrows the search quite a bit as winter is very harsh on many insects.

That looks like some kind of Tachinid fly (big family of parasitic flies). They lay their eggs inside the larvae of moths/butterflies/sawflies. Disgusting (but effective) pest control.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular

jayhqqj3a0kc.jpg

l6qzfz479ece.jpg

That looks like some kind of Tachinid fly (big family of parasitic flies). They to lay their eggs inside the larvae of moths/butterflies/sawflies. Disgusting (but effective) pest control.

I GIS'd Tachinid fly and I agree, it matches with the colors and banding that are less obvious in my pictures, I'd say it was Thelaira Nigripes. Odd that those were not listed in all the North American fly identification charts I looked at.

• Options
    edited August 2022

jayhqqj3a0kc.jpg

l6qzfz479ece.jpg

That looks like some kind of Tachinid fly (big family of parasitic flies). They to lay their eggs inside the larvae of moths/butterflies/sawflies. Disgusting (but effective) pest control.

I GIS'd Tachinid fly and I agree, it matches with the colors and banding that are less obvious in my pictures, I'd say it was Thelaira Nigripes. Odd that those were not listed in all the North American fly identification charts I looked at.

Thelaira nigripes is unlikely (since it's not native to the american continent and no confirmed specimens have been found). Thelaira americana on the other hand looks almost identical and is native to the eastern part of the american continent (including Quebec, even if it's at the furthest northern part of their range.

Fiendishrabbit on