The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JAEF wrote: »
    xzzy wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Feral Druid, Warrior, Shaman, Rogue, Rogue

Goodbye boss.

Hello threat cap. ;)
    This is the group I rolled with for Void Reaver (I got 4th in DPS, but we had some shortbus lads with us.) There was a soulstone on me and the warrior (my ankh was down), the warrior hit over cap around 40%, he was hovering just under it for a while. I hovered at 90% almost the whole fight, jumped over at 8%, ressed and went nuts.

Now I just end up healing while two enh shaman with mediocre gear make jokes of themselves.

Monacletois: Speed of the weapon doesn't matter until you get WF, and I myself prefer to level with a fast weapon if just for the simple fact that if a mob has 1% left and my shock is down and I miss, I'd rather spend half the time waiting for the next swing and get fucked less by the RNG.

Any preferred weapon? Maybe axe or mace since I will be using those later on when DW anyway?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Dongpuller wrote: »
    2Hing in PvE is not a good idea... fewer hits mean fewer crit chances, which lead to fewer Unleashed Rage procs. Which is one of the reasons why a raid would want an Ehn shaman in the first place.

I wouldn't dream of recommending 2h for shamans, I was talking about warriors using a 2hander.

I got my shaman up back when 2h was all they had available.

It was great fun. Yeah, sure, you'd get long spans with no WF procs and a mob would beat the crap out of you.. but every couple fights you'd get a monster triple crit and the mob would get splattered all over the ground.

It was wonderful fun, I was almost sad to see dual wielding talents because I knew it would be better dps. :(

xzzy on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got my shaman (43) a green 2handed mace, because I couldn't find any weapons > 2.0 speed, and figured what the hell.

And I enjoy it, I think; more than DW'ing with him. I know it's not optimal, but I don't really care. I'm having fun with the two hander. Just need to get some more agi/crit though. Cause I'm only at 14.49 crit

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    EWom wrote: »
    I got my shaman (43) a green 2handed mace, because I couldn't find any weapons > 2.0 speed, and figured what the hell.

And I enjoy it, I think; more than DW'ing with him. I know it's not optimal, but I don't really care. I'm having fun with the two hander. Just need to get some more agi/crit though. Cause I'm only at 14.49 crit

14.49 is great if you're DWing. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=1608 Buy these. I used skullcrusher mace of whateverx2 until 60.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Any preferred weapon? Maybe axe or mace since I will be using those later on when DW anyway?

When I had my Dranei shaman in the 30's, I found a sweet axe that took me all the way to 40 and duel-wielding. Thermaplugg's Left-Arm, gotten from the last boss in Gnomeregan, is 2-handed, fast, and wicked once I got Windfury.

It's probably still pretty easy to get Gnomer groups as Alliance in the 30's, but as a Horde it's nigh impossible. Get a level-70 friend to run you through it.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My 54 shaman only has a 2h weapon... this is left over from pre-BC when apparently that was viable (it isnt so good now I guess?).

I made a few posts earlier in this thread. I've got him with a fresh talent slate so I'm trying to decide on a path. Enh never really did it for me, if I wanted that much melee I would be a rogue or a warrior. I always liked Ele. I'm gonna stick with it, and I think go as far in resto as NS.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Despite only being 65 on my Shaman, I'd have to say enhancement is an Outland leveling spec. Once you get water shield and a decent amount of plus hit from your talents and crit rating gear things just fall down. Before that I'd have to say Elemental is the way to level because it allows you to DPS and heal adequately (if needed for instance runs). I can't comment on Restoration as I haven't leveled to 70 as that, but when I do I'll let you know how it falls out in comparison to the others.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Enhancement is ridiculously easy since the changes a couple months back.

For the first time in ever my shaman could use shocks while grinding mobs and not have to stop and drink every two pulls. It's a completely different class now, they were fun before, now I'm having trouble seeing why they aren't the most popular class of them all. ;)

Okay, they still have some issues in pvp. But I still have fun in AV playing mister burst damage from hell. Once I get my teeth into a cloth wearer their only hope is to have cooldowns available.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Enhancement in Outlands is great, 90% of that is from watershield. I imagine pre-Outland it could still kind of suck.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Enhancement is ridiculously easy since the changes a couple months back.

For the first time in ever my shaman could use shocks while grinding mobs and not have to stop and drink every two pulls. It's a completely different class now, they were fun before, now I'm having trouble seeing why they aren't the most popular class of them all. ;)

Okay, they still have some issues in pvp. But I still have fun in AV playing mister burst damage from hell. Once I get my teeth into a cloth wearer their only hope is to have cooldowns available.

moar leik all issues.

The problem with enhancement is that every single class in the game, speccing anything, starting at neutral, have an over 50% chance of beating an Enhancement shaman.

But yeah, grinding anything as enhancement now is almost easier then grinding as a Feral Druid, and that's just insane.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The problem with enhancement is that every single class in the game, speccing anything, starting at neutral, have an over 50% chance of beating an Enhancement shaman.

I don't really think that means enhancement is broken.. I think it means all the other classes are too fucking powerful.

Too many stuns and fears and disorients going on out there. Blizzard seems to think everything is peachy keen with the 2 minute trinket available, but it's still a horribly broken mechanic. Diminishing returns are effectively nonexistant, if someone fails to kill you before you go immune it just means they're playing like a retard.

xzzy on
  • Options
    AnimalplanetAnimalplanet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I'm considering going resto and I'm wondering if you guys have any typical specs I could take a look at and fool around with. I've never tried it and I'd like to know whether I love it or hate it.

Animalplanet on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    At 70 if you're raiding as a shammy most guilds will want you to be resto (obviously) but if you refuse to be a healer, they'll typically take Elemental over Enhancement.

Range DPS is always desired over Melee in raids. They'll want one enhance shammy in the tank group for totems and such, but they'll take 2-3 elemental shammies to buff caster groups and put out the crazy DPS. As Elemental I can out-DPS similarly geared mages and I tend to have better mana-sustainability (with the new & improved water shield) too.

Not to discourage anyone from trying to raid as Enhance. It's viable, but it's not AS desireable.

Just ask any mage who has ever been in a raid group with two Elemental Shammys (stacking Totem of Wraths) and a boomkin. Any damage caster in the game will want an enhance sham kicked out and replaced with an Elemental shammy, any day!

Except for the fact any decent guild's damage meters are topped by Rogues. The only place casters have any kind of benefit over Melee in terms of sustained DPS is while AEing and the limitation there is threat, not having 3% hit/crit.

Enhancement Shaman get priority in any real raiding guild because melee need them, tanks need them for threat, rogues and warriors need them for a substantial damage boost. Elemental shaman are worthless beyond a 101 damage totem that ANY shaman can drop.

All your damage casters should be hit capped and putting a BM hunter in a caster group (lets say, 2 mages, SP, resto shaman) will give them a bigger damage gain than a silly Elemental Shaman not to mention will easily out-DPS an Elemental shaman with an unlimited mana bar that comes from having a Shadow Priest.

Elemental shaman are bad, all serious endgame raiding guilds carry 1 or 0. Conversely, they bring 2-3 Resto and 1-2 Enh Shaman to every raid.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I'm considering going resto and I'm wondering if you guys have any typical specs I could take a look at and fool around with. I've never tried it and I'd like to know whether I love it or hate it.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=hVcZZEfhtAeotcd - standard raiding spec for endgame Shaman (post 10k mana pool, before that spec into Ancestral Knowledge)

Improved Reincarnation, Totemic Focus and Focused Mind are all interchangeable optional talents. The ones I picked are my setup, your choice may vary.

To spec it for PvP simply make sure to get Focused Mind and grab Nature's Guardian instead of Reincarnation and Healing Grace.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Your tank shouldn't need an enhc shaman for threat if he's halfway decent. It's nice, but if people just pay attention to meters it is by no means needed (especially with the threat wipes most classes have now).

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I don't really think that means enhancement is broken.. I think it means all the other classes are too fucking powerful.

Too many stuns and fears and disorients going on out there. Blizzard seems to think everything is peachy keen with the 2 minute trinket available, but it's still a horribly broken mechanic. Diminishing returns are effectively nonexistant, if someone fails to kill you before you go immune it just means they're playing like a retard.

Considering how easy it is to fix it? I think it is.

The simple solution is to make Shamanistic Rage work like Bestial Wrath, and undispellable.

Tada, Enhancement is viable in Arena and BG PvP.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That simply updates the shaman to be just as broken as everyone else.

Deals with the symptoms, without fixing the problems (which are CC abilities in general).

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That simply updates the shaman to be just as broken as everyone else.

Deals with the symptoms, without fixing the problems (which are CC abilities in general).

Honestley, the only CC ability I have a problem with is Cyclone, which should be a deep balance talent.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No, I'm pretty sure they're all retarded. Anything that forces you to stand there doing jack shit while some guy pushes your shit in is bad game design. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Personally, I don't have anything against CCs like Cyclone and Polymorph during which you cannot be harmed. It's fears and stuns that are my main annoyance.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    Your tank shouldn't need an enhc shaman for threat if he's halfway decent. It's nice, but if people just pay attention to meters it is by no means needed (especially with the threat wipes most classes have now).

Get to fights like Teron Gorefiend and get back to me... you need all the DPS you can mustard. Ironically, Elemental shaman suck at this fight because of pushback.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    CripTonic wrote: »

Get to fights like Teron Gorefiend and get back to me... you need all the DPS you can mustard. Ironically, Elemental shaman suck at this fight because of pushback.

Or reliquary. One of the most simultaneously frustrating and interesting fights in the game.

xzzy on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CripTonic wrote: »

I don't know about you but I prefer mayonnaise with my Gorefiend sandwich.

JAEF on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Seeing as you don't get DW untill level 40 (this seems super odd to me) is it better to go with 1h/s or a 2h for the first 39 levels?

Also, how bad is 2h enh in PVP? I'm levelling a shammy now for BG's, is DW really the only way to go?

815165 on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can't answer for anyone but myself, but after a couple of tries to do one hand/shield I quickly spent the talent point to go 2-handed (it no longer requires a talent) and didn't regret it until I got dual-wielding and had to spend more time than I wanted leveling the skills.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I never bothered with a shield as enhancement once I could wield 2H. The dps increase was big enough that sword-n-board was for people that hated themselves.

In terms of time spent completing quests, the two were equivalent. A shield user would take a lot less damage but spend an eternity killing. A 2h user would kill really fast but spend a lot of time healing.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The key to efficient shaman grinding is bandages...pre-water shield anyway.

Toothy on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I was wondering what I should get with my Badges? I have about 130 badges on me, and my armory link is in my sig. Since I have the Belt of Gale Force, I don't think I want the mail healy belt. What do you guys think I should get?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    _X__X_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The gloves and the boots are both better than what you got but about equal or slightly worse than the gloves from Solarian and boots from Lurker. Bracers would be an upgrade and they are better than Hydross bracers as well. Anything that will replace your PMC would be a enormous upgrade as well as all that spirit is useless for a shaman and so is the set bonus.

_X_ on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    _X_ wrote: »
    The gloves and the boots are both better than what you got but about equal or slightly worse than the gloves from Solarian and boots from Lurker. Bracers would be an upgrade and they are better than Hydross bracers as well. Anything that will replace your PMC would be a enormous upgrade as well as all that spirit is useless for a shaman and so is the set bonus.

Well, first off, I AM wearing the heroic boots. Secondly, I have mail gear to switch out with my PMC for stam dependent fights. I just use PMC because if has more +healing and mp5 (the green kind). However, that's kinda moot point, since the only mail healing item that can replace my PMC is the belt, and I find the +haste on it to be kinda stupid. But it sounds like the bracers would be the best deal for me, as they probably would last me the longest. Thanks.

By the way, any opinions on Essence of the Martyr?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Didn't even notice that those boots were mail, was thinking they were the leather ones from Kara.
    I personally stack mp5 because I tend to spam chain heal for 5-10 minutes at a time on certain boss fights. One Void Reaver attempt I spammed it the entire 9 minutes of the kill while chugging TK pots and using my Mana Tide twice. Raid buffed I'm at 350mp5.
    Essence is nice but I myself wouldn't use it. I use the trinket from Malacrass and currently Heavenly Inspiration(10mp5) until I get the Fel Reaver trinket.
    As for the belt the haste is nice to have, I currently have none though as most pieces with haste don't have mp5 as well, but you can wait for the trash drop belt from TK as it's an amazing belt. Girdle of Fallen Stars

_X_ on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, since my last post in here lamenting all the leather I'd gotten, I've seen quite a few upgrades. My guild merged with another established guild on the server, and in our month of full-time raiding, we've killed Gruul and Mag, Hydross, Lurker and Leotheras the Blind (first kill tonight!) in SSC, and Void Reaver and Solarian in TK. Also Doom Lord Kazzak, but he's a pushover. We've also gotten up to phase 3 on Zul'jin. Here's my boy.
    celi2.jpg

And my armory link!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terokkar&n=Celilthis

And my armory link.

cr0w on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So guys does the change to Spell Haste work with our totems? Cause if so, that would be neat.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd imagine it would, I picked up a couple pieces of haste gear last night and once PTR transfers are up I'll be checking it out.

_X_ on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yes spell haste decreases your global cool down now, so no reason it wouldn't affect totems.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    TrivialTrivial Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    'ello gents,

I recently rolled a shaman to kill time while my friends catch up to my main. Are there any tips or suggestions you can give me to a shaman nub? Maybe break down the talents to me (what's good for leveling, what's good for pvp, what's good for pve, etc.)?

Also, what professions would you recommend? I was thinking either LW/Skinning or Herb/Alch.

Thanks!

Trivial on
    - Triv
  • Options
    CrumbBumCrumbBum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, as far as leveling goes enhancement is really the cat's meow for PvE. Elemental spec gear can be harder to come by early in the game, at least from my experience, but around 60 becomes pretty common. As far as PvP is concerned all three specs have their strengths and weaknesses, but enhancement continues to be a very good spec up into the 60s as far as battlegrounds are concerned. Post 60 I see mostly restoration or elemental shamans running around, and I made the switch to elemental myself (although that was mostly a logistical choice because I could stand back and lay down the waste while my warrior / druid friends went into close combat)

CrumbBum on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What do you shamans (elemental) do in pvp when a hunter drops viper trap? The snakes seem to have an agro table and kill magma or fire nova totems before they pulse enough to kill them.

While I do have the 4 piece gladiator bonus, they still have a lot of pushback.

frylocked on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, as Enhancement, I usually load up on mana with water shield while kiting abit. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Lightning shield, maybe?

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    frylocked wrote: »
    What do you shamans (elemental) do in pvp when a hunter drops viper trap? The snakes seem to have an agro table and kill magma or fire nova totems before they pulse enough to kill them.

While I do have the 4 piece gladiator bonus, they still have a lot of pushback.

Drop poison cleansing, and hope the Hunter is stupid enough to be on you.

Focused Casting will proc eventually and you melt his face in.

Or drop stoneclaw, then drop Magma or Fire Nova.

Transporter on
This discussion has been closed.