As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movies] Thread, not the Moovies thread

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There's another person in Bullet Train who shows up who had so much deaging tech done to their face I was amazed and commend their agent.
    Sandra Bullock in Bullet Train compared to how she looked in The Lost City was laughably blatant, and they even made sure there was a lot of light bloom in her scene to really help with the CGI

Is that what was going on with her face?
    I just thought she showed up right after getting some work done by the same guy who did Garry Shandling(RIP and hail Hydra) and they tried to fix it in post by throwing some lens flares over her face or something

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Preacher wrote: »
    Look 58 is kind of older but not super old like if he was 40 that'd be hella young, super virile, just like peak of life really.

Ooh, you're close, but actually 47 is peak virility. I think. I'm going to perform some additional analysis, so there's a chance that by next year I might conclude it's actually 48.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Bullet Train was the kind of fun and competent but not exceptional action movie that used to be all over the place before cape movies sucked up all that atmosphere.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Just letting Brad Pitt do what he wants will make basically any movie at least watchable though

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Bullet Train... Great action, a script so tight it squeaks, and excellent comedy. 10/10 movie.
    Bullet Train (Netflix) was fine at best, it’s an hour long movie that is stretched to two hours and thinks it’s more clever than it really is...

I definitely fall between these two takes. A 10/10 is like, a Mad Max: Fury Road type movie that I'd come back to again and again. And I'll probably never watch Bullet Train again.

But I did enjoy the heck out of it.

Yeah, fair. I should be more aware of putting movies at a 10. Because Bullet Train is not that. I would put it at a solid 6 or 7. Basically my breakpoint for movies I enjoyed enough to probably watch again on rare occasion but also maybe not. It certainly is no Fury Road, that's a fact.

I was surprised to see some of the reviews of it be so different, it honestly threw me.
    More the fool me for putting emotional weight by expending social energy typing up the quick rec and then giving myself hurt feelings when the following posts are of (widly, in some instances) different opinion. This is not me saying that I think my opinon is correct, just lamenting that I got bit again by taking a leap and putting myself out instead of lurking. I hurt so badly twice over when I do this to myself and it feels so goddamned pathetic. Wholly self-inflicted.

Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re allowed to have an enthusiastic opinion on a thing, and everyone has different “things”.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I sometimes catch myself and have to say, "You are basing your self-esteem on what strangers on the internet think of you. Stop that."

(Don't forget to like and subscribe agree and awesome!)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Look 58 is kind of older but not super old like if he was 40 that'd be hella young, super virile, just like peak of life really.

Ooh, you're close, but actually 47 is peak virility. I think. I'm going to perform some additional analysis, so there's a chance that by next year I might conclude it's actually 48.

So you're saying 40 is like child? No worries no cares, just enjoying life being 40 so young no threat of death from age related anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I sometimes catch myself and have to say, "You are basing your self-esteem on what strangers on the internet think of you. Stop that."

I deleted my avatar several years ago just as a reminder to myself that as much as I love being part of this community, I don't dictate my self-worth based on my interactions with it. It was a very helpful layer of self care!

(Almost immediately after someone tried to "win" an argument by pointing out my lack of avatar. It was a moment of surreal clarity)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Just letting Brad Pitt do what he wants will make basically any movie at least watchable though

He was definitely the best part of Lost City.

Wasn’t enough to save it, obviously.
    elaborate on Violent Night if you please, because seeing nothing about it really stand out after its release makes me think they tried the Snakes on a Plane, possibly Cocaine Bear thinking of trying to meme a movie to success and it flopped.

It was just impossibly generic. I’ll say upfront I kinda low key disliked Nobody as well, but thought it was better than this maybe? In both cases it just felt like you were better off watching the trailer, because they both worked well as a three minute “idea” but neither really worked well once fleshed out. Unlike something like the first John Wick, which is actually far better than it’s trailer suggested.

Everybody who wasn’t Leguizamo or Harbour was flat and kinda bad. The actual action sequences were hit and miss (some were good). They tried to create some Santa backstory, and it made it weird, and also didn’t show enough to make me care. The actual plot is out of the bottom shelf of Hot Picks. I don’t hate toilet humor, but some of it felt out of place in what mostly plays at being a serious-ish action movie.

All that said, I do kinda appreciate as with Bullet Train that somebody is still trying to create blockbusters that aren’t based on super hero franchises. Though maybe using Santa is cheating there…

Oddly my girlfriend’s take on it…and she’s usually the more critical of us…was “it was fine.” I think she went in expecting it to be complete trash though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

I deleted my avatar several years ago just as a reminder to myself that as much as I love being part of this community, I don't dictate my self-worth based on my interactions with it. It was a very helpful layer of self care!

(Almost immediately after someone tried to "win" an argument by pointing out my lack of avatar. It was a moment of surreal clarity)

I'm happy for you, but all you no avatar people are one monolithic mass of people, many armed and legged and crawling around, sometimes talking to yourself

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I'm happy for you, but all you no avatar people are one monolithic mass of people, many armed and legged and crawling around, sometimes talking to yourself

On the other hand apparently you no longer are Bill Murray drinking coffee so it took an extra moment to realize who I was agreeing with.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

You can't hurt my feelings if you have no idea who you're talking to!

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

On the other hand apparently you no longer are Bill Murray drinking coffee so it took an extra moment to realize who I was agreeing with.

Bill Murray ended up being a bug that needed squashing, bong bong
    https://youtu.be/H6EZkIaJcCI

• Options
    God its like the number name conversation all over again.

It was funny in discord I had an old avatar of the prisoner and I knew why (several jailed stints in a row) but it was amusing to me.

Also movies uhh some people like them?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Also, new rule, if a movie has a snowmobile action sequence it’s almost certainly garbage. Like 95%. Maybe higher.

Exceptions? I’ve got Inception, and….

…..

……..yeah.

Edit: I think like 2-3 Bond films may slip in there too.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Also, new rule, if a movie has a snowmobile action sequence it’s almost certainly garbage. Like 95%. Maybe higher.

…..

……..yeah.

Die Hard 2.

I want to say Long Kiss Goodnight had snowmobiles at some point? But I could be misremembering.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Are those not the only films with snowmobile action scenes apart from the niche "Snowmobile Sports" Sports Movies?
    Fargo might also have had some snowmobiles in an action scene? Or that might have been one of the episodes in the series.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Long Kiss Goodnight is a bad film, though

Here’s an easy algorithm:

“Is it a Renny Harlin film?” ———> yes ———> BAD

• Options
    How dare you insult Renny Harlin like this? That's it I'm calling Geena Davis up we're sorting this shit out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's not like Die Hard 2 is a gem either

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Long Kiss Goodnight is a bad film, though

Here’s an easy algorithm:

“Is it a Renny Harlin film?” ———> yes ———> BAD

Deep Blue Sea is good but I don't think he did that on purpose.

Dear god I thought they beheaded the guy that made Cutthroat Island.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    How dare you insult Renny Harlin like this? That's it I'm calling Geena Davis up we're sorting this shit out.

She might be on my side

• Options
    edited December 2022

She might be on my side

I dunno are you in Mensa like Geena is? ARE YOU??!?!

I will say at least Renny's movies didn't kill anyone unlike Paul Anderson's weird kink with Mila Jovovich.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

She might be on my side

Do I have to answer this

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm easily amused by the thought that there are now two movies set in the 90s where Samuel L Jackson plays the sidekick to an awesomely badass heroine getting over amnesia.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's not like Die Hard 2 is a gem either

I dunno, this cracked me up

https://youtu.be/W2Ct0ouRooY

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

She might be on my side

Do I have to answer this

Well yeah you have to answer this and send your paperwork and the fee to get into mensa.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I will say at least Renny's movies didn't kill anyone unlike Paul Anderson's weird kink with Mila Jovovich.

They killed Renny Harlin

Atomika on
  • Options
    He's still alive?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

…..

……..yeah.

Die Hard 2.

And the pattern holds.

• Options
    He's still alive?

Is he, though

• Options
    I’m not in Mensa

anymore

Ugh I feel like Marion Ravenwood

“I was a child! It was wrong!”

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I love Indy but it's surprising how little attention is paid to Lucas wanting Marion to be like 11 years old when she got with Indy until Spielberg made him age her to still a kid.

• Options
    I love Indy but it's surprising how little attention is paid to Lucas wanting Marion to be like 11 years old when she got with Indy until Spielberg made him age her to still a kid.

He made Padme a senator at 12

Lucas is a weirdo and no matter how many terrible Boba Fett series we get I’m forever grateful the franchise is out of his hands

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

…..

……..yeah.

Die Hard 2.

And the pattern holds.

Literally the other movie I was thinking of when I wrote it.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Working my way through Christmassy movies, it being almost Christmas if you didn't know, and just watched Scrooge (1951) for the first time (released in the States as A Christmas Carol). It's the one with Alastair Sim and I've seen a lot of people cite it as their favourite version. It's really good. Sim is a lot of fun, even if he mugs a bit (or should I say especially when he mugs a bit?), and it's got some really moody black and white photography with lovely sets, matte paintings and nice performances from probably quite well-known at the time British actors. Also the girl who plays Bob Cratchett's daughter is the spitting image of Meadow Soprano. Uncanny. Bonus points for including Ignorance & Want.

I think I prefer the George C. Scott TV movie from the '80s though. It's just so expensive.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Padme is also a queen... a position which is democratically elected, apparently.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

She might be on my side

Well, she is his wife.

I'm not sure if that makes it romantic or creepy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Padme is also a queen... a position which is democratically elected, apparently.

There’s lots of historical precedence for both child regents and elected nobility (pre-union Scotland, for example), though almost no precedent for a simultaneous scenario, so yes, I agree this very stupid and George is very stupid

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

She might be on my side

Well, she is his wife.

I'm not sure if that makes it romantic or creepy.

They’ve been divorced for 25 years after he knocked up her assistant

He’s not just a terrible director, but also a shit of a human being

This discussion has been closed.