Options

What's the most narcissistic form of art?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Movies
    Movies are so narcissistic that they had to put their award shows on multiple mediums so people would know exactly how special they think they are, starting back in the early 40s. Press releases weren't good enough; they had to televise that shit against everyone's will!

The Tonys didn't even start broadcasting their award ceremonies until the late 60s!

• Options
    Movies
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Don't they also make plays about the making of plays?

I can name about three plays about making plays and about forty movies about making movies, to say nothing of the amount of "Behind the scenes" feature length films about the making of a film that people somehow don't consider to be films themselves.

• Options
    Movies
    They have whole TV shows dedicated to making movies and other, pretend TV shows!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Fine Arts - painting, sculpture, et cetera
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I feel like YouTube video essays are on a lower tier because they’re produced in isolation

The truly narcissistic demand a physical audience

Ahhh right.

TED talks, then.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I can name about three plays about making plays and about forty movies about making movies, to say nothing of the amount of "Behind the scenes" feature length films about the making of a film that people somehow don't consider to be films themselves.

Sure but I could name a gazillion movies that don't do that. I think maybe we're getting hung up on the art form vs the type of art narcissists are attracted to, here.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Not to the self congratulatory extent they do movies and television, if you ask me

• Options
    Movies

Sure but I could name a gazillion movies that don't do that. I think maybe we're getting hung up on the art form vs the type of art narcissists are attracted to, here.

I cannot imagine a bigger narcissist than the type who wishes to see their image projected onto a massive screen in movie houses the world over.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I cannot imagine a bigger narcissist than the type who wishes to see their image projected onto a massive screen in movie houses the world over.

what about buying twitter

• Options
    Movies
    PiptheFair wrote: »

what about buying twitter

Parallel venture.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Movies
    Ooo, what about those people who do TikToks where they sing and dance at service workers who have to just stand there and take it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Some people just, like, make movies because they think they're cool, and they think other people might enjoy them. Like all the other kinds of art!

But I don't think anyone ever did a self-portrait (except for practice shit, obviously) that wasn't narcissistic at some level.

I would even go so far as to say a director or screenplay writer could only truly be going about it with narcissistic intent if they cast themself in the movie, as well. Except for The Havermans or shit like that, which, yeah, you right.

• Options
    GenusOneTopologyGenusOneTopology Registered User regular
    Movies
    Movies are so narcissistic that they had to put their award shows on multiple mediums so people would know exactly how special they think they are, starting back in the early 40s. Press releases weren't good enough; they had to televise that shit against everyone's will!

The Tonys didn't even start broadcasting their award ceremonies until the late 60s!

Not to mention that a sure way to win a movie award is to make a movie about how great Hollywood is! You can even take it further and make a movie about how great filmmaking is AND how great you personally are as a filmmaker to really get the narcissism going!

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Music
    Music should win this hands down because when movies are entirely self-aggrandizing egocentric works of mediocrity trying to be something grandiose it's The Room. It's thoroughly mocked and derided for being an expensive way to masturbate in public.

...when music does the same it's Kanye West.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    Music
    Question: Which form of art includes a generally celebrated performance that is roughly 75% someone explaining how and why they wear sunglasses at night?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Music
    Gotta go with music. The barrier to entry is pretty low and your audience is everyone nearby whether they want to be or not. So it's gonna attract more narcissists by volume. Go to any coffee shop on a friday night and you'll see someone who thinks their most recent breakup is something people will enjoy if accompanied by an acoustic guitar

You can't force everyone in a 30 yard radius to read your book or look at your painting

Delzhand on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Other
    Podcasting.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Literature
    the most narcissistic art form is the "memoir from someone who is maybe in their late 20s" but that's a subcategory of literature, so

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Podcasting.
    Amateur Podcasting
    "Not only will everyone want to know my opinion on this Wikipedia article I just found, but surely they must want to hear it in my voice with none of the levels adjusted properly"

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    If there's any form of art I tend to associate with people who are actually self-aggrandizing and a little too full of themselves, it's like, experimental one-person theatre or the equivalent kind of dance (edit: performance art also generally fits the bill here)

Installation sculpture artists and architects are a close second, followed by a certain flavor of avant-garde painter

Though if we expand the definition of art a bit, some of the worst offenders I've ever met were in bad metalcore bands ca 2009-2013

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Other
    Thro wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Podcasting.
    Amateur Podcasting
    "Not only will everyone want to know my opinion on this Wikipedia article I just found, but surely they must want to hear it in my voice with none of the levels adjusted properly"

Thank you for the download. Please subscribe, rate, and review.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Theatre
    Straightzi wrote: »

Not to the self congratulatory extent they do movies and television, if you ask me

Hollywood fuckin loves movies about how important and magical movies are

please vote for The Fabelmans this award season, when you think about it, it's really a vote for the whole industry

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Movies
    New submission: playing anything through one's phone loudspeakers while on public transport

It's performance art, I guess, but you're forcing everybody to include you in their travel experience with little to no recourse

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Theatre
    Thinking it over, performance art isn't necessarily the most narcissistic, but it is the one that shows off the narcissism the best because there isn't much else to it to distract you from the narcissism.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Thinking it over, performance art isn't necessarily the most narcissistic, but it is the one that shows off the narcissism the best because there isn't much else to it to distract you from the narcissism.

Can you elaborate on that?

I suspect we may be defining the narcissism differently, which has been par for the course with this whole thread, but I don't really see what you mean with regards to there not being much to distract you.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be fair, some of those movies about making movies are pretty good see: Inception, Menu

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I would not call The Menu a movie about making movies?

It's just about Noma

Like yeah, indirectly it is, sure, because it's about the creative process on a wider level, but it's also specifically about restaurant culture in such a way that I feel like calling it a movie about movies is ignoring the forest for the trees

Straightzi on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

It's just about Noma

Like yeah, indirectly it is, sure, because it's about the creative process on a wider level, but it's also specifically about restaurant culture in such a way that I feel like calling it a movie about movies is ignoring the forest for the trees

A good point

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Is Inception a movie about making movies? I thought it was about the nature of the Self and how awesome CGI is.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It's just about Noma

Hey now it's not just about Noma, it also hates Chef's Table and Instagram.

• Options
    Theatre
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Can you elaborate on that?

I suspect we may be defining the narcissism differently, which has been par for the course with this whole thread, but I don't really see what you mean with regards to there not being much to distract you.
    When a narcissistic film maker makes a film, there's a film to watch. When a narcissistic musician makes music you get to hear a song. The art, even if created by a extremely narcissistic person, is still standing on its own somewhat and you don't have to think about the artist at all. You don't really have that same or as much of the same split between the artist and the art with performance art. ...Depending on the performance, it's a bit of a nebulous genre. But for the most part performance art is the artist using themselves in some way to create the art. So it's pretty hard to get away from the artist.

• Options
    But like, there's still art there that you could experience?

Like, you say it's different than music, but when a musician is making music I can hear them doing it - that's the whole point. They're fundamentally there and a part of it. Unless we're talking about a composer and not a performer I guess?

• Options
    Theatre
    True, I'm probably affected by my main form of music consumption being recorded music, where the music (song) is divorced from the artist.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Theatre
    I have recently accidentally gotten into the local shoegaze/indie pop scene and like, dope, this is exactly my thing except everybody is 23 and I'm like... a grown-up?

so all of these bands I really like are four awkward young adults and I'm like

MOq31pw.jpg

I know it doesn't really matter, but it does is the thing.

I like to say that I'm a writer, which can be very narcissistic, but I'm way too self-aware to get a proper narcissism going

neuroticism, though, I am a professional, top of the class

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Music
    Well, last night I watched worst of 2022 videos from both Todd in the Shadows and Anthony Fantano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNUzqkJAQB8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C6NJequlKQ

...and I would like to triple down on my answer. Like imagine if in 2022 two out of five new pieces of visual art were like "Rodin's The Thinker but it's better because I made it and also The Thinker is me." The only other takeaway I think you can have from music in 2022 is that the continued infantilization of culture might be hitting music the hardest.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I really liked a lot of albums that came out in 2022. It was in many ways a better year than 2021 for music.

I also don't pay attention to or care about popular/mainstream music.

These facts are probably related!

anyway Anthony Fantano is a guy who thinks you can listen to music wrong so I dunno do with that information what you will I guess.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    the most narcissistic part of art is the art critic

someone who thinks their like/dislike of something is important enough to matter to people other than themselves

• Options
    Hello pretentious art thread.

Last night I went to a production of Macbeth Muet, a two person clown/mime retelling of the Scottish Play performed with masks, puppets, and absolutely no dialogue (a couple of vocalizations and some brief lip syncing though).

It kicked an incredible amount of ass. It veered largely towards comedy, as you might expect, with numerous characters represented as styrofoam cups full of fake blood that got violently stabbed or ripped asunder, but also managed some incredible pathos for some impressive emotional whiplash.

Here's a trailer, which sort of gets at the general vibe:

Anyways it's a traveling show doing a couple of festivals right now it looks like so on the off chance you happen to be in Chicago tonight or Houston this weekend, look it up.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    anyway Anthony Fantano is a guy who thinks you can listen to music wrong so I dunno do with that information what you will I guess.

Has he said that?
    I've watched a decent amount of his videos and he's never said anything like that.

Also, if he has, what does he mean by that?

• Options
    Hello pretentious art thread.

Last night I went to a production of Macbeth Muet, a two person clown/mime retelling of the Scottish Play performed with masks, puppets, and absolutely no dialogue (a couple of vocalizations and some brief lip syncing though).

It kicked an incredible amount of ass. It veered largely towards comedy, as you might expect, with numerous characters represented as styrofoam cups full of fake blood that got violently stabbed or ripped asunder, but also managed some incredible pathos for some impressive emotional whiplash.

Here's a trailer, which sort of gets at the general vibe:

Anyways it's a traveling show doing a couple of festivals right now it looks like so on the off chance you happen to be in Chicago tonight or Houston this weekend, look it up.

theater kid spotted!

seriously though that actually sounds really cool

• Options
    The lynchpin refocusing of the show was based around some occasionally neglected lines from Lady Macbeth that reveal that she has recently suffered a late term miscarriage or a child dying in infancy. It is very significant to her and to her husband that they have been unable to have kids, and is often considered a driving motivation behind her character.

The show presents this information in the form of a small comic montage showing her and Macbeth falling in love, getting married, and miming sex. There are six eggs on the table at the start of this scene, and she picks up the first, accidentally crushing it in her hands. This repeats, and repeats, and repeats, until all of the eggs are gone, becoming more and more tragic with each repetition.

This would be really good in isolation, it's an incredible bit of work. But then they actually hang the show on it. A little bit later we get a flashback showing Banquo falling in love with his wife (who tragically dies in childbirth) and raising his son, immediately dovetailing into a scene where Macbeth doesn't seem to know how to interact with children and, knowing the prophecy given to Banquo by the witches, subsequently attempts to have them both killed. And then comes along Macduff, where we get all of the sex scenes (acted out with a pair of gloves, in this instance) of the Macbeths, but each one leaves a surviving egg on stage. When Macbeth shows up to seethingly crush those eggs and beat the oven mitt representing Lady Macduff to death, you get a whole lot more depth than you usually do.

Anyways, theatre, it's cool!