Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean presumably the artist behind the illustrations is multiple members of the art team, nerd

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brolo: Movie Bob for Gamers, art nouveau connoisseur

a true renaissance man

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I've been poking at Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, playing a little a day for a goodly while. I haven't had especially strong opinions, because it's kind of just "a straight down the middle isometric CRPG." It's not as weird as Planescape or Tides of Numenera, it's not as interesting as Tyranny, the worldbuilding and character work isn't as rich and thorny as Pillars of Eternity, but it's been capital-f Fine. The combat is fiddly without being especially engaging, so I popped it down to Story difficulty and just ooh and ahh at all the pretty spell effects. It's not very interesting to talk about, I've felt.

One thing it's had going for it was a grand sense of scale. A huge world map, a whole army to direct around in between your own adventures, a feeling that you were on a real campaign, in multiple definitions of the word.

And then last night I hit a fuckin' wall with it. It yanks away all of the world map and army management stuff, it limits the scope to your party. You go on a trip into "The Abyss," and the Abyss is stupid and sucks. You know the classic DnD problem of inherently-evil races? The Abyss is a whole city for all the inherently-evil races from across the Pathfinder cosmology, and God it's lame. This incoherent soup of demons being evil for the sake of being evil, it's so boring. They're not even evil in interesting ways, they're all just horny for murder. There are rules but there aren't, there are leaders but there aren't, there's still taverns and merchants even though nobody shuts up about how much they love stealing and scamming and criming, it's childish.

Also the area is a pain in the ass to navigate because they introduce a mechanic where your camera position causes the area geometry to move, and the pathfinding for my party is not up to the task. Also it's ugly!

I've probably put 50 hours or so into it and I am just done, they have entirely sapped my desire to keep going. Big bummer!

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2023
    i mean presumably the artist behind the illustrations is multiple members of the art team, nerd

I suppose that's possible but the illustration style seemed consistent between them such that my first assumption is there's one artist responsible for all the cards and city portraits and such, even if they're not the only artist working on the project in general. Maybe it is the work of several artists and they're doing a good job working together in a fairly homogeneous style, though. Nerd.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    They actually hired Gustav Klimt

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    so who actually is the artist behind that game's art though

not sure, the game is being made by Chimera entertainment, who are based in Munich

http://3.73.63.11/team/

but none of the bios in the team section lead to any portfolios that match the art shown for the game

the game was only revealed publicly today, so it might take a bit longer for whoever made the art to take credit for it

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Instead of using "like I just fucking told you", try using "as mentioned previously"

"Per my last email."

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Actual conversation with a friend (spoilers for Far Cry 3)
    Friend: Can you remember the name of the main villain from Far Cry 3?
    Me: Oh yeah, it's Vaas. He was played by Michael Mando.
    Friend: No, not him. The main bad guy.
    Me: Huh?
    Friend: Vaas dies halfway through the game.
    Me: Then who's the main bad guy?
    Friend: I don't know, some rich white asshole. That's why I was asking you!

• Options
    Lars wrote: »

The main bad guy is actually a wildly racist caricature of a Native woman who's gonna sacrifice you to her savage pagan gods

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

The main bad guy is actually a wildly racist caricature of a Native woman who's gonna sacrifice you to her savage pagan gods

doesn't she also rape the player character?

Ubisoft, always checkin' dem boxes

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Far Cry 3's only good villain dying half way through is right next to Watch_Dogs chickening out on ever calling Aiden's fucking shit as The Most Ubi writing.

It's not a ubisoft game if it's not a 7 out of 10 that seemed to intentionally step on rakes to make sure it couldn't be good.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah the story in far cry 3 goes some really bad bad places.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CoolrekCoolrek Registered User regular
    I've been poking at Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, playing a little a day for a goodly while. I haven't had especially strong opinions, because it's kind of just "a straight down the middle isometric CRPG." It's not as weird as Planescape or Tides of Numenera, it's not as interesting as Tyranny, the worldbuilding and character work isn't as rich and thorny as Pillars of Eternity, but it's been capital-f Fine. The combat is fiddly without being especially engaging, so I popped it down to Story difficulty and just ooh and ahh at all the pretty spell effects. It's not very interesting to talk about, I've felt.

One thing it's had going for it was a grand sense of scale. A huge world map, a whole army to direct around in between your own adventures, a feeling that you were on a real campaign, in multiple definitions of the word.

And then last night I hit a fuckin' wall with it. It yanks away all of the world map and army management stuff, it limits the scope to your party. You go on a trip into "The Abyss," and the Abyss is stupid and sucks. You know the classic DnD problem of inherently-evil races? The Abyss is a whole city for all the inherently-evil races from across the Pathfinder cosmology, and God it's lame. This incoherent soup of demons being evil for the sake of being evil, it's so boring. They're not even evil in interesting ways, they're all just horny for murder. There are rules but there aren't, there are leaders but there aren't, there's still taverns and merchants even though nobody shuts up about how much they love stealing and scamming and criming, it's childish.

Also the area is a pain in the ass to navigate because they introduce a mechanic where your camera position causes the area geometry to move, and the pathfinding for my party is not up to the task. Also it's ugly!

I've probably put 50 hours or so into it and I am just done, they have entirely sapped my desire to keep going. Big bummer!

Yeah it really slows the game to a crawl in the abyss, for not a lot of payoff. It feels like an "its a small world" jaunt through a hell dimension, where the stakes aren't there you just get to gawk at the evil stuff. And as you said the evil stuff isn't interesting, its kind of the most basic stuff you can show to tell the audience a place is evil, street murder, blood sports, out in the open slave auctions. Has the same amount of subtlety as mordor.
    And while I appreciate the sentiment around the camera mechanic, the execution is awful. I had some many moments where I was stuck standing at a wall rotating the camera because there is a delay between it being in the correct position and the ground animating to let you pass. Overall I liked the game, but pretty much that whole chapter sucks.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

It doesn't exactly start great, either, with lazy references to Alice in Wonderland standing in for "doing or saying anything interesting or original"

Hate that fuckin' game

• Options
    There is a version of Watch_Dogs that goes into both how shady/shitty the protagonists have to be and how dirty the work they do to fight the dystopia that is encroaching on them is.

And I dunno, some indy will make a tactics game out of it in ten years and it'll sate the disappointment that series sparks in me.

• Options
    Who dogs the watchdogs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I've been poking at Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, playing a little a day for a goodly while. I haven't had especially strong opinions, because it's kind of just "a straight down the middle isometric CRPG." It's not as weird as Planescape or Tides of Numenera, it's not as interesting as Tyranny, the worldbuilding and character work isn't as interesting as Pillars of Eternity, but it's been capital-f Fine. The combat is fiddly without being especially engaging, so I popped it down to Story difficulty and just ooh and ahh at all the pretty spell effects. It's not very interesting to talk about, I've felt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjY62xa1B6c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFOghMt1yI

yeah it's the problem of having throwaway characters who have no personality and motivations aside from "evil" and then having to come up with scenarios for them to do anything but get slaughtered by the heroes

do they have friends? do they have hobbies? do they have any form of education? do they have money or valuables? it's interesting to see what writers come up with when these questions come up, and sometimes... what they fail to come up with

Brolo on
  • Options
    With all due respect to the actor, you can really tell that Vaas was a basically unwritten character that they realized they had a decent actor for and they just let him improvise.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Michael Mando’s substantial charisma is the only thing remotely interesting there, is the thing.

And worst of all, the game dragged the whole “you know what the definition of insanity is?” dreck back into the everyday lexicon of countless dipshits.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The constant camera movement in that RotK clip is painful.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It doesn't exactly start great, either, with lazy references to Alice in Wonderland standing in for "doing or saying anything interesting or original"

Hate that fuckin' game

yeah the main character is such a choady mother fucker too

the whole game is just a breathtaking exercise in sucking the assumed straight white republican male gaming population's dick

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Who dogs the watchdogs
    Woof, woof, woof woof.

• Options
    Didn't they pretty much say as much with Vaas?

I swear they talked about how the role was initially just like, the Bit Pirate Boss Dude, who you'd kill early and then Michael Mando walks in and gives a performance entirely too good for that game.

Also haha what, wikipedia says Vaas was concieved off as a dark mirror to the player character. Y'know, because he's a drug user who does lots of ultra violence in incoherent ways. As opposed to the PC whose getting like, drug laced tattoo's and shooting up everyone.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

doc
    @docsquiddy

I'm annoyed at how many of these are going "this sounds like it's related to weapons, and therefore it's violent."

bite the bullet refers to biting down on something during a medical procedure for your own safety.

jump the gun refers to a false start before the gun in a race

this isn't really gaming (although docsquiddy did make Adios, which on sale here: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/adios-b378b4 )

but lord these "say this not that" charts are becoming so asinine as to be indistinguishable from parody

@iwriteok
    you strike me as a guy who waters down his mayo before he makes a sandwich

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    why are we dragging this particular twitter dead dove do not eat into this thread in particular
    the twitter cesspit thread is over there

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

NEW: Yesterday EA and Respawn quietly canceled a single-player game in the Apex/Titanfall universe, according to three people familiar. EA will try to find new positions for the ~50 people who were on the team but will lay off those who can't be placed:

well, fuck

• Options
    reading between the lines: EA will fire all 50 of those people

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck off.

• Options
    why are we dragging this particular twitter dead dove do not eat into this thread in particular

bahamut, meet brolo

brolo likes to post things he finds in the brolo thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I'm trying to think what other games would be on the "Played this as a teen, never doing it again so I can have good vibes only," like Farcry 3.

Probably Resident Evil 5? But that's at least like, kinda fun co-op.

• Options
    Didn't they pretty much say as much with Vaas?

I swear they talked about how the role was initially just like, the Bit Pirate Boss Dude, who you'd kill early and then Michael Mando walks in and gives a performance entirely too good for that game.

Also haha what, wikipedia says Vaas was concieved off as a dark mirror to the player character. Y'know, because he's a drug user who does lots of ultra violence in incoherent ways. As opposed to the PC whose getting like, drug laced tattoo's and shooting up everyone.

yeah it's why all the vaas scenes are like, hallucinations that can just be dropped into any point of the game currently being made rather than having to make a bespoke plot for whatever lines he's riffing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

You picked basically the perfect time to stop. Once you get out your armies are ruined and the combat math continually shits itself for the rest of the game. Encounters where if you don't min/max and prebuff before fights you gotta roll 20s to hit start to pop up with frightening regularity.

• Options

bahamut, meet brolo

and I am gently nudging it over into the dark place

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

bahamut, meet brolo

l5kVrkG.jpg

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023

NEW: Yesterday EA and Respawn quietly canceled a single-player game in the Apex/Titanfall universe, according to three people familiar. EA will try to find new positions for the ~50 people who were on the team but will lay off those who can't be placed:
    well, fuck
    Once you enter the EA franchise mines the only way out is to get fired. Respawn, meet Raven, shake hands with your elders.

[edit] Wait, Raven's Activision. The other franchise mine.

Glal on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

well, fuck

Why can't anybody figure out how to make a good single player game based on a multiplayer hero shooter

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

well, fuck

Why can't anybody figure out how to make a good single player game based on a multiplayer hero shooter

https://youtu.be/43IWdsKFsUg

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've got a friend who played through all of Wrath of the Righteous and I watched it sapped his will to live in real time. It's one of those games where I see someone saying "I'm gonna play this, I heard it's good!" and I start running in slow motion yelling "nooooooooooo"

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I've got a friend who played through all of Wrath of the Righteous and I watched it sapped his will to live in real time. It's one of those games where I see someone saying "I'm gonna play this, I heard it's good!" and I start running in slow motion yelling "nooooooooooo"

I feel like Mass Effect really gets remembered well because it avoids this problem by splitting the 60-100 hour game into 3 different chunks.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Maybe the Respawn people will quit an EA ran company again and found another new videogame company and make a game even better than Titanfall.

This discussion has been closed.