Options

[TV] is the thing you watch all your streaming shows on

19495969798100»

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Yep, Mason season 2 started out good. Slow, but steady as usual.
    I think this is the first time that I saw Sean Astin playing a completely despicable human being. He must be back later on in the series, you don't cast him for just those few minutes, right?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Good Wife seasons six and seven.
    I think I'd have to vote for Frank Prady myself.
    Coming right in the twilight of the golden centrist era, it kind of funny to see all the attempts of their campaigns to appeal to the center right. Eerily accurate. They've got Peter out here knocking unions because they feel it'll sell well.
    Meanwhile Diane is being goaded into taking on the right to choose from side angles by Debate Me Bro conservatives.
    Might watch Brain Dead after finishing The Good Wife since that's what came next, or maybe concurrent to these last seasons.
    I liked it back when it aired, but it may also have aged oddly being politics satire right politcal satire died in a car crash.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I was only vaguely aware of the first season of Perry Mason but it sounds like I oughta take a look at it?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I was only vaguely aware of the first season of Perry Mason but it sounds like I oughta take a look at it?

I remember the build up, and I remember thinking Matthew Rhys is an excellent choice for the role, and then it came out and I instantly forgot about it. So yeah, samesies

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I went in skeptical, didn't think Perry Mason of all people needed a gritty origin story.

But it turns out it's just a really good, old-school, surprisingly-melancholy, Raymond-Chandler's-Los-Angeles noir story. It's more LA Confidential and Chinatown than it is... Well, Perry Mason. I reckon that you, specifically, would find quite a bit to love.

And not for nothing in a time when sex scenes in media are being Discoursed about, but the show has one of my favorites I've ever seen. Two characters who are embroiled in an ongoing fling, one where they're both secretly really invested in how much they aren't invested, where they're like bonded over how much they both don't "need" this, it's very noir, it rules. Anyways, they're fuckin', and they hump their way into the crevasse between the wall and the bed. It's clumsy, it's funny, it's still a little sexy. It's one of the most grounded and relatable things I've ever seen, and it's also spinning right on a thematic axis of, "This is a show about people being messy and human, and not just in ways that are Cool or Dark, in every way."

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Had Perry Mason mixed together with Matlock in my head, so that description seemed very weird for a second

This discussion has been closed.