Options

[Mass Effect] All this for a Toaster? Tag Spoilers!

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    My wishlist for ME5 includes a customizable ship and space combat.

I’m ambiguous on a ground vehicle—the shuttle in ME3 is far smoother than the ultimately pointless Mako/Hammerhead sections—but if there must be a ground vehicle, make it a full on hovertank.

And since you got me monologuing, the rest of my wishlist:
    1. Species choice. Human, batarian, and asari at a minimum—you wouldn’t even need separate animations or voice work for those.

2. Like DA: I, let us refine our background choices through dialogue.

3. Bring in the background quests from ME1. Shepard’s background is woefully underutilized in the trilogy, so it’s a clear space for improvement while honoring what came before.

4. Class choice, especially whether or not one is a biotic, should impact more dialogue choices. The Dragon Age sequels did this very well, no reason to think Mass Effect can’t.

5. Multiple hub areas. The different vibes of Omega, Illium, and the Citadel did a lot to make ME2’s world feel vast and layered. I’m sorely feeling their lack in 3. This is perfect for environmental storytelling.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Talk of "space combat" makes me nervous. That sounds like exactly the kind of pie-in-the-sky feature creep that developers spend way too much time on at the expense of polishing the core gameplay.

As far as I'm concerned, the only "space combat" Mass Effect needs is what happens after your character boards an enemy ship.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Talk of "space combat" makes me nervous. That sounds like exactly the kind of pie-in-the-sky feature creep that developers spend way too much time on at the expense of polishing the core gameplay.

As far as I'm concerned, the only "space combat" Mass Effect needs is what happens after your character boards an enemy ship.

The enemy captain closes all the doors and hatches and then fires you into space by opening an airlock.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »

The enemy captain closes all the doors and hatches and then fires you into space by opening an airlock.

That's what mag boots are for.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Batarian player character has me thinking of the Order of the Stick joke about how all the Drow are Chaotic-Good rebels looking to throw off the reputation of their evil kin (now that they're a player race).

ME ship to ship combat is not super compelling, and given Bioware's dubious software development process I'd rather them focus on their core strengths instead of going large with new play mechanics.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    There's a reason KOTOR's excuse for ship to ship combat - a turret section - didn't make it over to Mass Effect. It made sense in KOTOR because ship to ship is such a thing in Star Wars, but it wasn't exactly a compelling gameplay section. Mass Effect barely has space fighters anyway.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, fighter class ships appear because it's a Star Wars thing to do, but the vast majority of ME space combat is Normandy 1 sized ships and larger doing their thing. It's hard for me to imagine it being as compelling a mechanic as the existing ground combat - with cover, powers, power combos, different guns, etc.

And I 100% agree about wanting more hubs of greater variety. Illum is just fun to walk around in, and I'd like to experience more fictional places I can simply exist in. Hell, add a permanent non-ship home we can visit/use/decorate, with a small surrounding neighborhood like the Citadel DLC, but even more refined. I love the ME universe, and it'd be nice to simply be in it sometimes.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    There's a reason KOTOR's excuse for ship to ship combat - a turret section - didn't make it over to Mass Effect. It made sense in KOTOR because ship to ship is such a thing in Star Wars, but it wasn't exactly a compelling gameplay section. Mass Effect barely has space fighters anyway.

Also no way you're doing a space turret section after doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

THAT IS WHY WE DO NOT EYEBALL IT!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    ME Ship-to-ship combat can remain in the cutscenes, I really don't think BioWare is ready for that. Hell, Ubisoft is barely ready and they've got a handful of ship combat-based games under their belt.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    They can do ship combat and have it not be Tie Fighter.

It could be Homeworld.

In fact, I've wanted a god damned ME RTS since ME1 came out. It's so blatantly obvious of a thing they should (or at least could) do, I don't understand why it never happened. If Halo can have an (2!) RTS, then so can ME.

I want to play the massive ship battles myself.

Obviously in the middle of an RPG isn't exactly the best place to try to shoehorn in an RTS that is just mediocre; but they could farm it out and integrate it somehow.

I'm sure if I went and looked I could probably find mods for Homeworld or Sins or something that had ME universe ships, but I'd like an actual product.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    THAT IS WHY WE DO NOT EYEBALL IT!
    Followed a game later by a combined fleet using Earth as the backstop for a truly apocalyptic amount of firepower.
    You can't tell me that every one of those shots hit their target.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    zo6b734zeibp.jpg

hyvwn6q5qjb6.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Second one should end

Wrex: Grunt.
    Grunt: Shepard.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I might be the only one, but I don't want ME5 to have some kind of mysterious, galaxy imperiling BBG threat/faction.
    There should be enough compelling things to do post-Reaper invasion IMO. Plenty of rebuilding, old grudges, really wild things they could do with the Krogan and Turians depending on what they choose to make canon, etc. Shit, assuming Javik is canon (only a question because he was DLC), there could be a bunch more Prothean discoveries. You can have looters + a black market for relics found from Reaper-destroyed planets (looking at you, Thessia and others).

There's a lot of ways they can build up threats without resorting to the same basic structure.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Sci Fi Properties Try And Directly Address And Work With Unresolved Lore/Plot That Was Poorly Recieved Instead Of Sweeping It Under The Rug In Favour Of Conservative Pandering To Nostalgia Challenge (Impossible!!)

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Didn't we get a grandpa telling his grandson about the legendary Shepard at the end of ME3? There's no unresolved nor inconsistent plot to move forward with - the Mass Effect trilogy is clearly an in universe story like The Princess Bride and sometimes Grandpa skips stuff

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Grandpa literal Buzz Aldrin.

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Didn't we get a grandpa telling his grandson about the legendary Shepard at the end of ME3? There's no unresolved nor inconsistent plot to move forward with - the Mass Effect trilogy is clearly an in universe story like The Princess Bride and sometimes Grandpa skips stuff
    That's why there was a fade to black on romance scenes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yes there was an insipid attempt at that

My child

• Options

Yes there was an insipid attempt at that

My sweet
    FTFY.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Grandpa literal Buzz Aldrin.

Of course Buzz would be into those Asari ladies, gotta get his Captain Kirk on

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Has anyone been following the Woolie Versus playthrough of the entire trilogy? Using mods and altered save games, Reggie played "Red" Shepard in Mass Effect 1 and 3, and Woolie played "Blue" Shepard, a gender-swapped equivalent, in Mass Effect 2.
    Well, they got to the Citadel DLC, and their weird play setup has finally, perfectly come down to this moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9kDZdNfUCg

Really impressed with the editor of the mod on this one.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Super hyped that they made that happen. Makes their playthrough feel like it's transcended the lore and taken on a life of its own.

Super frustrated that Woolie's inability to shut up for two seconds when he's not the one holding the controller caused him and Reggie to miss all the hilarious meme dialogue in that mission. When he babbled over the Javik airlock joke, I became so angry that I yelled out loud.

Also can't believe that Woolie was warned ahead of time about the missable hologram rooms and still allowed Reggie to get locked out of the early ones, including the one with the synthetics, which is the best one. Then Reggie overcompensates by beelining the hologram rooms in the middle of combat, like he can't just go back to them after the area has been cleared of enemies. A total clown show all around.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I honestly gave up on expecting a normal playthrough when Reggie started roleplaying a belligerently horny Shepard constantly locking himself out of romances because they were constantly cheating, the entertainment value on that gimmick kinda felt played out at some point

The bespoke modding they did for that Citadel playthrough was extremely impressive, though

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Bioware laid off 50 people, including senior talent. Some of these people were on the Dragon Age team. Gotta wonder how much of a future the studio has at this point. I don’t want andromeda to be the last Mass Effect.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-bioware-layoffs-include-the-writer-responsible-for-dragon-ages-best-character/

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Bioware laid off 50 people, including senior talent. Some of these people were on the Dragon Age team. Gotta wonder how much of a future the studio has at this point. I don’t want andromeda to be the last Mass Effect.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-bioware-layoffs-include-the-writer-responsible-for-dragon-ages-best-character/

That's a 10% cut. I don't think they've got much of a future unless ME: Next is a huge success. EA is EA, and from the stories about ME:A and Anthem development hell, I'm not sure that Bioware's management is particularly competent either.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Some of the writers they laid off had been there since the original Baldur's gate. And its being reported as a 20% cut.

https://www.eurogamer.net/bioware-lays-off-senior-writing-staff-as-part-of-its-recent-job-cuts

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Huh, I saw they have around 500 employees in total, with over 200 in Canada. Might be all 50 are being let go from a single location, maybe the 500 number was incorrect.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ugh, that's painful.

It's not impossible that Bioware could still put out a great game with 20% less headcount and fewer writers, but that would require them to get their shit 100% together.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    It’s heartbreaking to see Bioware go through this, but I expected them to get shuttered after Anthem face planted. Maybe Dragon Age will be their comeback.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    It’s heartbreaking to see Bioware go through this, but I expected them to get shuttered after Anthem face planted. Maybe Dragon Age will be their comeback.

I’m thinking I might have to pick up Baldur’s Gate 3 when that hits consoles and try to get my wife into it. Animal Crossing and Dragon Ages 1, 2, and 3 are literally the only games she plays.

If Dread Wolf is about to get shuttered I’ll need a fallback position because she will drive to Canada and murder people.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    There were folk moved to Broadsword (and others got laid off) last month with SWTOR, too. Sad times.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Never let EA buy your studio.

• Options
    I'm with @daveNYC on this one. It's easy to lay all the blame at the feet of EA, but everything I've heard says that BioWare brought this fate upon themselves. They kept falling down innovation creep rabbit holes, when all anyone wanted from them was more RPGs with funny characters and functional corridor shooter combat.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XefLOWmcFpY

It's that one day of the year where they remind us that Mass Effect used to be a thing

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XefLOWmcFpY

It's that one day of the year where they remind us that Mass Effect used to be a thing

The laid off Bioware playtesters are using #N7SeveranceDay to raise awareness to their plight.

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/bioware-developers-picket-n7-severance-day

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    ha ha ha, wow that's cringe.

I mean for Bioware, not the workers.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Bioware's concentrating on Dragon Age right now, right? Nice to know Mass Effect is still a thing but seems cruel to string us along for something that probably won't hit for years.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bioware's concentrating on Dragon Age right now, right? Nice to know Mass Effect is still a thing but seems cruel to string us along for something that probably won't hit for years.

I don't think its cruel, they are letting people know they are also working on the other franchise. Like I want them to have their focus on dragons age, but I also would like at least thoughts/ideas/concepts for a new mass effect to be out there and it feels like that's also there. I mean Bethesda in the lead up to starfield was also talking about elderscrolls 6 and that's a long way off still.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net