As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Unity] The place where game devs unite to bitch about a game engine

12346»

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Though not looking forward to when we start to get old games that no longer play well with current operating systems. You figure there is a point where once people agree it's a dead engine, you'll eventually hit a point where no one is really do anything to make a setup where all the old game that have a unity engine will continue to play nice with current OS's. Though will be interesting to see how much media ends up as lost media after that happens. Like I figure you'll probably get a few titles that were absolute hits that fall into that hole because they are either in legal limbo or the IP holder decides to be an asshole dragon that is greedily guarding it's hoard and deems that the games just aren't enough enough to remake. Also figure there will be a shit ton of mediocre and dogshit mobile games falling into that pit because they were only made to be cash grabs.

That has already happened and will probably continue happening at some rate. Go try to play a game from the mid-2000s, a good chunk won't work or will be glitchy

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    GSM wrote: »
    Still an absolute mess. Why are they even offering the insane install count thing alongside a rev share? Who is going to pick that?

Well think of it as Free to Play vs Pay to Play.
    • Free to play games developed in Unity would suffer so so much from the pay per install, and would benefit (read: survive) from the 2.5% rev share comparatively.
    • Pay to play games would probably benefit from the pay per install since they are asking for $.20 per install and that is probably less than 2.5%. Even at a price of like $20 a game, the user would have to install the game 3 separate times to match the 2.5% rev share.

Of course that is ignoring the piracy and reporting metrics and just fucking brokenness of it, but yeah. On paper it would monetarily benefit the Pay to Play games to take the installs over rev share.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Still an absolute mess. Why are they even offering the insane install count thing alongside a rev share? Who is going to pick that?

I think they said whichever one is cheaper will apply.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

jhcjrct5dn2a.jpg

How stupid does whatever damage control PR consultant they hired to manage their social media think we are?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "was framed across the Internet" still has some "no, it's the children's who are wrong."

They still don't want to accept responsibility!!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    That didn't happen.
    And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
    And if it was, that's not a big deal.
    And if it is, that's not my fault.
    <-- we are here
    And if it was, I didn't mean it.
    And if I did, you deserved it.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular

jhcjrct5dn2a.jpg

How stupid does whatever damage control PR consultant they hired to manage their social media think we are?

Did they also remove the section from the TOS because people didn’t read it, or how did they spin that?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    "The views were too low" is doubly ridiculous, because firstly, a public changelog of your TOS is (and I cannot believe I have to say this) NOT a marketing tool. It is a system of transparency and a public promise. It is not an ad spend. And secondly, it's not even a spend at all, because a simple public repo on Github is free. It cost them literally nothing to keep it around. Pretending they got rid of it for "low engagement" is just another lie.

This is so shameful. When are they going to finally be done embarrassing themselves?

edit: I love the chat on that Q&A. It's just a constant stream of "FIRE JOHN RICCITIELLO" and "Unionize Unity!". Pretty great.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Dibbit wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    I found the Sungrand guy's comments very interesting because one of the points that he made was that Unity have been neglecting the "make our software better for actually making games with" part for several years, and focused almost entirely on monetisiation, so this current situation is basically Sungrand's "they showed us who they were and now we believe it" moment.

I have privately thought this about Unity, but in a slightly different way: Namely, Prototyping with Unity is super quick. Making a little tutorial that does "complicated thing X": that's pretty easy.
    Actually having a big project in Unity: Pretty disastrous, and yeah, everything gets more complicated when the scope expands.

But Unity has a knack of layering of having all these systems and it just becomes a complex mess. I had to look back at a project my lead dev did a year ago, and just finding out where things happened was an adventure.
    Partly, this is our fault, be more consistent and all, but Unity doesn't help at all.

It's like a screwdriver that's been rolled in glue and broken glass. Fine for light work, fine if you take the extra step of putting on gloves, but - god damn - there are other screwdrivers; why the fuck are we paying a fee to use this one?

Just caught up on that thread, didn't want to necro it, just wanted to give thanks for how validating it was to hear someone else have the same struggles we did.

Especially the "Two computers building the same source yields very different results" bullshit.

Edit: Well shit, meant to PM that and now I've gone and necro'd it anyway! Palm, meet face.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Nah, the Necro is good. I'm not a dev, but this topic is of serious interest to me and it's been a good news source

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If the thread hasn’t been dead for five years it’s just sparkling resurrection.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    A week and a half isn't necro-ing. Hell, it's not even turning Alex Murphy into Robocop.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    D&D has had threats arise from obscurity several months after lying dormant. A week plus is nothing.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    They are going to be so terrified when even this CEO sacrifice doesn't stanch the bleeding. They've tried everything, except actually stopping doing the thing that caused people to complain in the first place.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    They are going to be so terrified when even this CEO sacrifice doesn't stanch the bleeding. They've tried everything, except actually stopping doing the thing that caused people to complain in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOTyUfOHgas

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Well, it's possible that a new CEO has the brains to see how fucked they are from that, but... unlikely.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The new CEO is Bobby Kotick

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

don't put that evil on us

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I only wanted delicous cold Frogurt. :|:/

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »

Well, it's possible that a new CEO has the brains to see how fucked they are from that, but... unlikely.

It might have worked better if it was a proper sacrifice. A little breach of corporate decorum, as a treat, to underscore that they understood what an egregious breach of trust this was.

A statement showering the outgoing scapegoat with praise is, I suspect, really not what was needed to restore trust in the board itself here; particularly not when it reminds people that the scapegoat in question was a member of it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I wonder what company he will be put in charge of to run into the ground next?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I wonder what company he will be put in charge of to run into the ground next?

Uber's new CEO clarifies that new $0.50/star rating-fee will only retroactively apply to drivers with annual fares of at least $20,000 and not less than 1,000 lifetime ratings.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    YongYea has a good video up on Riccitiello getting the boot, and why it's not really going to fix the cancer that infests the company. Especially since he's being replaced by one Tomer Bar Zeev, CEO of the company ironSource. This is the company that's been deemed malware disguised as a monetization engine that Unity bought for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zXIBy3u9U

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Wait, the new ceo is that guy? I thought he was the main drive behind the new fees and stuff as a way to push his competitors out of Unity because they were offering no fees if you subscribed to his malware? Putting him in as the ceo is even worse.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    Wait, the new ceo is that guy? I thought he was the main drive behind the new fees and stuff as a way to push his competitors out of Unity because they were offering no fees if you subscribed to his malware? Putting him in as the ceo is even worse.

And the icing on the shit-cake is Tomar is one of the boardmembers that liquidated something like 50k+ shares of the company before this whole announcement kicked off, so both him and John probably were aware of the shitstorm about to hit and decided to pad their bank accounts while burning the whole company down.