Options

[COVID-19] -20, -21, -22, -23...

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yo nature is this because everyone kept making jokes about how it wasn’t important to know that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell?

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I’m also wondering if we are learning more about how coronaviruses in general affect us due to the amount of study COVID is getting. Like maybe bad colds were always worse than we thought and now we are studying and quantifying the impact.

COVID seems bad in a lot of ways, I’m just wondering how unique those are.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    It certainly has been the case that we have *all* (all meaning, the people actually paying attention) have learned a lot more about long flu, and that viruses in general can stick around in your body and fuck shit up for a long time.

burbo on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Newest strain of covid ripping through nursing homes, I'm sure everyone here has a relative who's gone through this in the past month. At my mom's nursing home, literally everyone was infected. Every staff member, every patient. My dad couldn't visit my mom for over a month because he lives alone now and is in really bad health and covid would likely fuck him up real bad.

Several coworkers are telling me they are getting really sick, but no it's not covid they took a test and it was negative so it's not covid they're fine. I'm masked up at work and like clockwork every single motherfucker has got to stop me and ask me if I'm sick, and if I'm not sick, why do I hate freedom? I get massive sideye from people who are not afraid to tell me they're carrying, oh and also have I heard the latest red pill conspiracy they've completely bought into?

Meanwhile I'm trying desperately to not catch this shit, because it's nearly impossible to avoid giving it to my wife if I get it. We've tried in the past, it's never worked out. She's not immunocompromised, but fevers trigger grand mals for her and I don't want that when we're trying to get her to go 6 months seizure-free so we can get her neurologist to sign off on reducing her work restrictions.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I don’t think home tests work very well any more. When my daughter had COVID she tested positive only once and we had her take tests on 3 days. We were also sick with the same symptoms at the same time and never tested positive.

Either one test was a false positive or there were a lot of false negatives.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I don’t think home tests work very well any more. When my daughter had COVID she tested positive only once and we had her take tests on 3 days. We were also sick with the same symptoms at the same time and never tested positive.

It's not just home tests, but clinical tests too, that you need to either wait a couple days after symptoms before you test, and/or you need to test repeatedly. We are 3 years into this and most people still don't know this and it's infuriating. People treat these tests like they're a litmus test and think they're super accurate, and don't understand that you shouldn't be gambling with other peoples' health with that shit. Plus employers still expect you to go get tested the first day you have symptoms or else they won't let you off work. So people come to work during their first two days of covid, you know, when they're fucking contagious, because they tested negative.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I've had Covid twice now, and managed to avoid giving it to my partner both times. This is how we did it. You may or may not have equivalent resources, but this what we did.

1. I was in the bedroom always, except to go to the bathroom. I would wear a mask to and from the bathroom, and left the window open and the fan on at all times. The only time I took the mask off outside the bedroom was to brush my teeth or shower, and when I was outisde. She used the other half bath.
    2. She would always be in another room, including for sleeping.
    3. Have the house fan running at all times, with the main intake having a filter that can catch viruses.
    4. Have an air purifier going in my room, and the room that she was in at all times.
    5. She dropped me off food and water at the door. I would put on a mask and bring it in as quickly as possible, and then shut the door again.
    6. She was also quite careful to either not touch, or wash her hands right after, anything that I touched like, dishes for example.

There were lots of other details, but doing those things have prevented her from getting sick both times. Its not easy having that kind of isolation, but it can work, at least if you have those kinds of resources.

burbo on
  • Options
    Home tests used to work very well, in 2022 I got COVID and the test worked from the moment I got symptoms. They probably need an update for new strains.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023

I started to feel ill Sunday night, took a test Monday morning and the line turned BRIGHT fucking red as soon as the liquid hit that part of the strip. They still work. Every one has reacted the same since, zero false negatives.

Feeling healthy now and still testing super positive.

Edit: This is with the Binax test. Someone I know is tangentially involved with its advertising, and it is exactly as good as it claims it is. My wife and I trust it's positive results 100%, and will fully trust the negative with a follow-up negative result in large part because we are extra paranoid about giving this to other period.

Veevee on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I started to feel ill Sunday night, took a test Monday morning and the line turned BRIGHT fucking red as soon as the liquid hit that part of the strip. They still work. Every one has reacted the same since, zero false negatives.

Feeling healthy now and still testing super positive.

Edit: This is with the Binax test. Someone I know is tangentially involved with its advertising, and it is exactly as good as it claims it is. My wife and I trust it's positive results 100%, and will fully trust the negative with a follow-up negative result.

The fact that this infection is showing up easily on the tests does not mean it always will, both for you and others, or that your symptoms will always coincide the exact same timing with viral load.

That said positive results have basically always been trustworthy yeah. Barely any tests have had false positives throughout the whole pandemic.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    when I finally got "the cold that's been going around" from family, who then called me after a very unpleasant weekend, I got a test and immediately popped a strong T line. I mean, I knew, but.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I had symptoms starting Saturday, but didn't bother testing until Monday because I wasn't going anywhere until work. Even Monday morning it was the faintest of lines, so who knows if something would have shown up Saturday or Sunday. By Tuesday it lit up right away, so y'know an early negative ain't gonna do it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Always drives me wild that we have this incredibly contagious airborne disease and the tests have a high false negative rate. Like if I cough and someone down the street can get infected from it then I should be able to cough in a box and see the results immediately.
    Mostly joking of course.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Lots of the tests are super old now but the CDC just keeps extending the expiration date.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Always drives me wild that we have this incredibly contagious airborne disease and the tests have a high false negative rate. Like if I cough and someone down the street can get infected from it then I should be able to cough in a box and see the results immediately.
    Mostly joking of course.

Tests detect "likely to be infectious" not "likely to be infected". There's no test in existence which can be as sensitive as your operational immune system, and your symptoms are your immune system revving up to attack the virus.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Mostly joking of course.

Tests detect "likely to be infectious" not "likely to be infected". There's no test in existence which can be as sensitive as your operational immune system, and your symptoms are your immune system revving up to attack the virus.

I understand the words you said. And I know what you mean. I'm just saying shoving a q tip into my brain to scrape where the virus may be is tiring when I could just cough at someone and they'll get it lol.

• Options
    Mostly joking of course.

I understand the words you said. And I know what you mean. I'm just saying shoving a q tip into my brain to scrape where the virus may be is tiring when I could just cough at someone and they'll get it lol.

Yeah I just cough on my coworkers and wait to see if they test positive.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    It still baffles me that there's a highly contagious airborne disease currently circulating, one that very likely causes long-term damage beyond the acute phase in ways that people are not immediately aware of, and the entire world is just like

meh

• Options
    maraji wrote: »
    Mostly joking of course.

Yeah I just cough on my coworkers and wait to see if they test positive.

The future of COVID testing?

Actually I'm positive that this has already happened in this world. Probably some rich guy who couldn't be arsed enough to test.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    The gap between what can be detected via an immunological assay and what is a biologically relevant amount of etiologic agent can be measured with stuff like a mouse neutralization assay but you can't really do one of those in your bathroom even if you wanted to.
    It still baffles me that there's a highly contagious airborne disease currently circulating, one that very likely causes long-term damage beyond the acute phase in ways that people are not immediately aware of, and the entire world is just like

meh

This seems to be universal human behavior. Take something viscerally awful like a worm bursting out of your skin.... you can prevent this from happening by merely filtering any water you drink through a piece of t shirt. And yet we're just getting around to eradicating it now:
    https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/guineaworm/index.html

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

meh

The wheels of capitalism must be greased. Blood has proven suitable for this task.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Same thing happened to me, bright red the instant the liquid hit that part of the strip. I tested positive almost two weeks ago and I'm still getting my ass kicked. I have a nasty cough and I'm tired all the time. I got my booster something like 3-4 weeks before I got infected, too, so I should have been maximally protected.

• Options

meh

I think this is actually a human mental self-defense mechanism. We try to forget about negative stuff and continue with our daily habits. This is what kept us collapsing into a pile of grief and insanity in the centuries where humans had an up to 50% infant mortality rate. The harvest still needed to be brought in, the festivals still needed organizing.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023

meh

I think this is actually a human mental self-defense mechanism. We try to forget about negative stuff and continue with our daily habits. This is what kept us collapsing into a pile of grief and insanity in the centuries where humans had an up to 50% infant mortality rate. The harvest still needed to be brought in, the festivals still needed organizing.

I think it's more likely that human beings are just... really bad at threat assessment for threats that they can't see.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

meh

I think it's more likely that human beings are just... really bad at threat assessment for threats that they can't see.

Yea, i wished early on in the pandemic that covid would do something obvious, like turn a persons nose purple or something. Anything to differentiate it from the common cold.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

meh

Yea, i wished early on in the pandemic that covid would do something obvious, like turn a persons nose purple or something. Anything to differentiate it from the common cold.

Loss of taste and smell is it’s really weird/obvious feature. It’s distinctly different from the familiar dulling of the senses you get from a nose blocked by a cold.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

meh

I dunno. Given the amount of people that die to truly stupid obvious shit, even things they can see they're bad at assessing. They often just choose not to see it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

meh

Loss of taste and smell is it’s really weird/obvious feature. It’s distinctly different from the familiar dulling of the senses you get from a nose blocked by a cold.

Except that, judging by the Yankee Candle Sign, people are more likely to assume it's a defective product.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

meh

The wheels of capitalism must be greased. Blood has proven suitable for this task.

It's not just that, though. Capitalism isn't preventing people from putting on a mask when they go grocery shopping. And yet, even on these forums, I bet if we took a poll only a few of us still do that-- we have people on the forums that have explicitly argued against it. And the forums are better than the average population in this. Capitalism helped make it worse, but also people just suck.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I went to the fucking ER like 3 weeks ago (I'm fine) and I was the only one wearing a mask. That included the front desk, doctors, and anyone in between. I figured if you're going to wear one why not the ER?

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

meh

I dunno. Given the amount of people that die to truly stupid obvious shit, even things they can see they're bad at assessing. They often just choose not to see it.

They're both right, but CB is closer to the mark for this situation. People are bad at assessing imperceptible threats, often dramatically over or under-estimating the level of danger. But they also get sloppy (or at least unemotional) about threats that are so consistently present at a low level that they're mundane. Think about getting hit by a car. Obviously the results of getting hit can be catastrophic, but the chances of that happening in any given interaction are so infinitesimal that you just don't get worked up about about it. You never see pedestrians having to psych themselves up to use a crosswalk when the light turns, because they've done it a million times before and always been fine. In the same way, there are a lot of people out there who've been in crowded rooms a million times and been fine, or even gotten sick but only barely, so they keep revising their threat estimate down and down and down until they're given a strong reason to do otherwise.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

meh

Except that, judging by the Yankee Candle Sign, people are more likely to assume it's a defective product.

It was super weird for me. The first time I realized how completely my sense of smell was gone is when once I started feeling better I opened a fresh bag of dorritos and noticed even if I stuck my face in it I smelt nothing at all. Not good not bad not changed just nothing.

• Options

meh

“Don’t worry, my nose isn’t purple because of COVID! It’s just allergies!”

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2023

meh

“Don’t worry, my nose isn’t purple because of COVID! It’s just allergies!”

This. I want to be able to tell when other people have it so i can avoid them. That it would help me know if i have it is secondary.

I actually did lose my sense of smell when i had covid. Not taste though. It was trippy. I was on kitty litterbox duty all that week.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DrowsDrows Registered User regular
    Something's going around for sure. Had a work call today with about 15 people in a variety of places in the US and India, and nearly all of them was sick or had been recently.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

meh

Well, and the disease doesn't really cause loss of taste and smell any more. At least, it had almost completely stopped doing it back when the UK last updated their symptoms tracking thing.

https://news.vcu.edu/article/2023/06/risk-of-smell-loss-from-covid-19-is-as-low-as-6-compared-with-initial-variants

It's a really weak indicator now, not the common symptom it was before. Symptom list doesn't really have anything weird in it any more.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I lost most of my sense of smell and all of my sense of taste when I had covid in August. Neither has fully recovered yet.

Didn't happen to me when I had it in 2020 or 2021, but very much happened less than 3 months ago.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    So, I think I Asked this before, and I'll ask this again. There is SOMETHING going around the PNW, and it hit me and my kids (as well as my ex) like a sack of bricks. Like a cold, but stubbornly wouldn't go away, etc. Son (who had it first) had a fever the first couple days, the rest of us not so much, but we've had a persistent ear ache. I kept us all home/masked through the worst of it, but honestly, as we recovered in a more or less normal time frame, we never tested. I'm not entirely sure what the point of testing is with all the other crap going through is, as long as we're recovering. It's not like we're going to avoid much of anything with elementary aged school children in late fall in the PNW.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    So, I think I Asked this before, and I'll ask this again. There is SOMETHING going around the PNW, and it hit me and my kids (as well as my ex) like a sack of bricks. Like a cold, but stubbornly wouldn't go away, etc. Son (who had it first) had a fever the first couple days, the rest of us not so much, but we've had a persistent ear ache. I kept us all home/masked through the worst of it, but honestly, as we recovered in a more or less normal time frame, we never tested. I'm not entirely sure what the point of testing is with all the other crap going through is, as long as we're recovering. It's not like we're going to avoid much of anything with elementary aged school children in late fall in the PNW.

Lower mainland BC is also getting rocked by something atm too, half the folk I know are super sick

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    We had something that slowly crawled through the family one at a time in October. Basic head cold with a cough symptoms, but it lasted for weeks. My son had a fever for a few days, but no one else did.

Used up a bunch of Covid rapid tests, none of which ever popped. Took both kids to the doctor (son because of fever, daughter for a physical) during it and flu, strep, Covid tests were all negative.

Being sick sucks.

This discussion has been closed.