Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Finished Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.

That was certainly a thing. Confused thoughts in spoiler
    It was a love letter to Scott Pilgrim but not written for anyone except the creators? When I first read the comic books it felt like a comic book series written just for me. Intensely gratifying but a weird business proposition to write something with a target demographic of 1. Then they made a movie! Just for me again. And it bombed. Because only I went to see it! Now it feels like the creators decided to really pare down the audience to just the absolute core of themselves.

I thought the twist in the 1st episode was brilliant. But then the 2nd episode is a meandering thing about the league of Evil Exes none of whom I care about? IT almost lost me there. There was just enough entertainment to get me to the final two episodes which are good, mostly. Scott and Ramona thinking that one of the exes is responsible for the AK field makes zero sense when there is a massively obvious protagonist available in Older Scott.

But ultimately this is a story about true love - literally and figuratively. The cartoon is a celebration of Scott Pilgrim and the plot is driven by future Ramona not giving up on their relationship. About the musical of the film within the cartoon series about a film of an adaptation of a comic book. A self indulgent exercise in reflecting on love at first sight, a critique of '00s wry detached irony, and another angle (do we need one?) on Scott ad Ramona's relationship.

And I can respect that.

Overall did I enjoy it? Yes. Would I recommend anyone else watch it? No.

Interesting. I'm a big Scott Pilgrim fan, and I loved the new series.
    I think giving Romana and the "evil" exes a chance to shine was the right idea. It did a lot to make the universe less Scott-centric.

Oh, and I got around to seeing Wish last weekend. It was ... weird. Not the worst Disney animated film I saw, probably, but a lot of it just did not work.
    That said, it's bizarre how often I'm seeing the "Magnifico did nothing wrong" take online.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Oh, and I got around to seeing Wish last weekend. It was ... weird. Not the worst Disney animated film I saw, probably, but a lot of it just did not work.
    That said, it's bizarre how often I'm seeing the "Magnifico did nothing wrong" take online.

People went out to bat for Mother Gothel back when Tangled came out, despite her being a selfish child-abusing monster, so ya know, folks can be real dumb on this stuff

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

People went out to bat for Mother Gothel back when Tangled came out, despite her being a selfish child-abusing monster, so ya know, folks can be real dumb on this stuff

I have real life friends who cannot watch that movie because of how accurately Gothel portrays an abusive parent.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I have real life friends who cannot watch that movie because of how accurately Gothel portrays an abusive parent.

The chief difference being Gothel at least actually knew she was the bad person in the situation and just didn't care because, y'know, immortality.

Most people dealing with that situation had to deal with people who really didn't think they were horrible abusive pieces of shit and can never be convinced of the truth.

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Most people dealing with that situation had to deal with people who really didn't think they were horrible abusive pieces of shit and can never be convinced of the truth.

Crazy, my wife and I totally didn't read Gothel that way; much like a real-life counterpart we are way too familiar with, Gothel's claim of "so I'm the bad guy" was very much in the passive-aggressive vein of trying to guilt Rapunzel into thinking she's being unreasonable. Like, she was only looking out for herself to begin with, and her only concern over Rapunzel is as a means to her own immortality; in her eyes, the most important person in the universe is herself, and since that's just fact, everyone else should believe the same and be willing to help/listen/sacrifice for her sake. It seemed textbook narcissistic to me.
    To be fair, I've never read a book on narcissism, but from what I understand, any book I could read would describe the behavior as such.

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Yeah, child of abusive narcissists here

It tracks pretty well

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I was genuinely left wondering from some of the defences whether folks had either been through that and failed to recognise it was bad, or just didn't see anything wrong with gothel hoarding immortality.

Who the fuck knows, abusers are terrifying in how they'll never take responsibility

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm just impressed that people are saying "Magnifico did nothing wrong" when his entire arc doesn't even make sense.

Granted it's fun to see him
    devolve into full mustache-twirling villainy, but how he gets there doesn't feel natural.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    All I know about Wish came from this video, and yeah, seems like at least at first, magnifico did nothing wrong.

https://youtu.be/rpKzI8F2oJU?si=vw7yTNoSXf2IFwy2

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    All I know about Wish came from this video, and yeah, seems like at least at first, magnifico did nothing wrong.

It's been pointed out that the plot of Wonder Woman '84 covers the disastrous chaos that happens when you grant every wish willy nilly.

• Options

See, that's where I'm having the discussion with "Did nothing wrong" people! See if you can find it.

The real problem isn't that he won't grant every wish, but that he keeps the wishes he doesn't grant, and people forget them and the motivation that inspired them. Well, and he's an authoritarian narcissist doing all this out of a need to control people.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The trailer for Wish made it seem like the King was bad because he didn't grant every wish and I remember distinctly being like "that's a terrible setup for a conflict, I'm gonna have to skip this."

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Opty wrote: »
    The trailer for Wish made it seem like the King was bad because he didn't grant every wish and I remember distinctly being like "that's a terrible setup for a conflict, I'm gonna have to skip this."

That was my impression too,

I thought the whole plot was the girl and the star were going to grant all the backed up wishes.

Sounds like it's even worse than that.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular

See, that's where I'm having the discussion with "Did nothing wrong" people! See if you can find it.

The real problem isn't that he won't grant every wish, but that he keeps the wishes he doesn't grant, and people forget them and the motivation that inspired them. Well, and he's an authoritarian narcissist doing all this out of a need to control people.

But did he force the people to give away their wishes? The people know he grants 12 per year so they know the odds.

• Options

But did he force the people to give away their wishes? The people know he grants 12 per year so they know the odds.

It's so weird having this exact same conversation here and on that YouTube page, but here we go.
    It's not the odds that's the problem, but the consequences, and his policy on granting them. Giving him your wish causes you to forget the wish itself, which also removes any motivation you had towards that goal. We see that with one of Asha's friends, Simon, who's a little older than the rest of her group. He already gave up his wish, and he's constantly tired and depressed now. We also learn that he'll never grant any wish that has even the slightest chance of subverting him. Her grandpa's wish was just to play music that inspired people, but because it's never clear what he would inspire them to do, the king refused to grant the wish. Basically, that means once you give up your wish, you'll never be able to accomplish the goal you wished for yourself. All of this was in the first ten or so minutes of the movie, by the way. I'm not listing any major spoilers here

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to defend the movie as anything more than a subpar Disney flick. I just am annoyed by the "the villain was right" takes.

Also, it's weird that a seventeen-year-old has a 100-year-old grandpa. Don't try to think about the math on that one too hard.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

It's so weird having this exact same conversation here and on that YouTube page, but here we go.
    It's not the odds that's the problem, but the consequences, and his policy on granting them. Giving him your wish causes you to forget the wish itself, which also removes any motivation you had towards that goal. We see that with one of Asha's friends, Simon, who's a little older than the rest of her group. He already gave up his wish, and he's constantly tired and depressed now. We also learn that he'll never grant any wish that has even the slightest chance of subverting him. Her grandpa's wish was just to play music that inspired people, but because it's never clear what he would inspire them to do, the king refused to grant the wish. Basically, that means once you give up your wish, you'll never be able to accomplish the goal you wished for yourself. All of this was in the first ten or so minutes of the movie, by the way. I'm not listing any major spoilers here

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to defend the movie as anything more than a subpar Disney flick. I just am annoyed by the "the villain was right" takes.

Also, it's weird that a seventeen-year-old has a 100-year-old grandpa. Don't try to think about the math on that one too hard.
    41 year old has child. Child at 41 years old has child. 41+41+17=99. It's absolutely possible.

It's the other direction you don't want to think about. How you can technically be a grandparent at 30.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

41 year old has child. Child at 41 years old has child. 41+41+17=99. It's absolutely possible.

It's the other direction you don't want to think about. How you can technically be a grandparent at 30.
    It's not impossible, just pretty strange. Especially since so many Disney characters find their soul mates and get married when their friggin' teenagers.

Also, there is no indication that either Asha or her mom had any siblings. Though they didn't really need more characters; the game is bloated with superfluous ones as it is.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    (We're back!)

Everyone should check out Pantheon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgYeETwgKQ&ab_channel=RottenTomatoesTV

Both seasons are out there somewhere, it's really an amazing series. Writing and animation are both great.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Annie Award nominations are out, with Nimona leading with 9 nominations, followed by Blue Eyed Samurai with 7 nominations on the TV side.

https://variety.com/2024/awards/awards/nimona-netflix-lead-annie-awards-2024-nominations-1235868314/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wow, Disney and Pixar got shut out of the best animated feature category. Then again everything that did get a nom is just about far better than those two.

Also, thanks to that list I learned there's a new Looney Tunes short titled Daffy in Wackyland, which isn't available for streaming anywhere because OF COURSE IT ISN'T FUCK YOU ZASLAV

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Blue Eye Samurai was some of the coolest shit I've seen in years.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    (We're back!)

Both seasons are out there somewhere, it's really an amazing series. Writing and animation are both great.

Did Pantheon get completed as a story? For some reason I was under the impression it got cancelled and that cut things short

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    (We're back!)

Did Pantheon get completed as a story? For some reason I was under the impression it got cancelled and that cut things short

It did! AMC picked up the series initially and cancelled it after the first season, but Amazon got the second season and it completes the story.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    (We're back!)

It did! AMC picked up the series initially and cancelled it after the first season, but Amazon got the second season and it completes the story.

Oh shit, I never knew the second bit; thanks!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyDE8yhUtKE

Seems like the schedule is 4 episodes this week, 2 for each of the next two weeks and done at 8 total, not including the pilot.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Was going to ask about Hazbin Hotel. Guess I'll need to find time to watch some of the other episodes.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I miss the original voice cast and trajectory but still seems fun.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 19

Some folks are the abusers and like seeing someone in cinema who apes their own positions.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 19
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I miss the original voice cast and trajectory but still seems fun.

It's definitely a lot less hyper, and slapstick than the pilot/Helluva Boss, which is probably a good thing, since the pilot really overdid the sound effects, but it does feel like it lost a fair bit of the expressiveness of how manic the animation was, though I have to wonder if that's because they were on a budget and schedule instead of the multi year open endedness of the other things.

I don't much like
    That the whole premise was instantly sidelined for the angel stuff and even just Angel Dust at all, the one character that they have to attempt to be redeemed, isn't really focused on until episode 4, and even that was with Husk, not Charlie, who if anything, indicates that she just... has given up on them? It comes back a little in 4, but there's a couple parts where it's clear Angel is depressed because Charlie seems to have given up on them even despite the good sides and struggling, especially the stuff in Addict.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Hazbin Hotel is still a strong recommend, but it feels like they had to force the plot forward half a season. Notably the first episode is the weakest, and the voice acting improves as they go on.

It reminds me of how the Steven Universe pilot differed from the show.

• Options
    I do like Keith David, but his voice really seems weird for Husker compared to the pilot's Mick Lauer. And in fact, the very idea of so many of the cast that made that pilot a hit being replaced still feels bad to me. But that's old ground.

Speaking of Husker, I can't imagine a more eye-gougingly awful character design for animation. He's covered in little bits and bobs and details, all those colors and spots all over his wings... it must be a nightmare to work with. All of Vizi's characters are pretty busy in that respect, but he really stands out to me.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The characters generally feel like they're different characters now. I still watched it like six times and the music is still great but Squeaky Angel, Flat Tone Vagie, and Throat-Cleared Husk have a different feel.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I ask again, how is Vaggie not played by Lake Bell?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I suspect the two biggest factors in Hazbin Hotel getting a change up in the cast come down to:

-Amazon likely put them on both a budget and a schedule. IIRC there were characters in the pilot had two voice actors, one for regular dialogue and another for singing. Amazon probably wanted to a setup where there was only one VA for each character. Also with a budget and a stricter timeline, that likely didn't work for most of the original cast. Either they felt the pay wasn't good enough or the schedule just didn't work for them, assuming they were even willing and able to do both regular dialogue and singing.

-Also worth keeping in mind that the pilot dropped in Oct of 2019. Sure Amazon picked it up for a 2024 release in 2020, but depending on timelines, that could have easily resulted in a few years gap before they would start regarding voice lines for the show. Even if it was a few months at best, actors are people and people need to eat. So likely plenty of time for the original cast to get gigs elsewhere that could easily mean they weren't coming back for the actual show, even if they could meet all the criteria.

I only saw the pilot once, so not enough time for me to really get attached to any of voices. Though off the top of my head, I do think I preferred the original VA for Angel and would agree that it feels like Husk should have more gravelly sounding voice.

Of course, some parts of the internet are eager to make up drama, where it likely doesn't exist.

• Options
    The OG VAs seem to be getting quite a lot work, and even put out a farewell song, so they seem to be doing okay.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I did really like Keith David's musical number in episode four.

• Options
    So far my favorite is Stayed Gone with Alastor vs Vox
    The lyric
    Alastor: Everyday he's got a new fomat!
    Vox: You're looking at the future! He's the shit that comes before that!
    is red hot.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Craig Before the Creek is up on HBO Max.

Craig of the Creek is one of my favorite shows and I think it's constantly slept on.

It's constantly imaginative, funny, inclusive, thoughtful and full of geek references. And it has some long form storylines.

The movie is at that taken up a notch. It's a prequel so works as a standalone but obviously there's a lot of references to the characters that are part of the show.

• Options
    edited January 23
    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1