Options

What is your best union strike sign?

Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then?Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
Hey everyone, my teacher’s union is going on strike on Tuesday.

It’s for the usual things, working conditions, pay rates and fairness for access for students.

Anyway. I need a placard. Other than stealing sign ideas from the Simpsons I have no ideas. What sign should I do?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    "Teaching a lesson

*Doodle of a buff teacher*

In the power of labor"

Also I hope it goes well for your union and you get the things you need

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Usually when teachers strike over here you get parents shouting that "you get 13 weeks holidays a year, what have you got to complain about?" So some way of getting across what the current conditions are would be good.

Most succinct one I saw was one by an ex-colleague of my wife who was leaving the profession anyway at the end of the term. He got a job working phone support for Virgin Media for the same money so created a big sign that had his current hours on:
    8am-8:00pm M-F + 6 hours Sunday. £34,000 / year. £9.91 / hour.

Then underneath he put the UK minimum wage which at the time was around £9 / hour.

I don't know how you get across to people that "yes, there's holidays but you have to literally work yourself to death to get them and you spend most of them recovering from work and preparing to go back."

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Most people don’t really care about holidays here.

Also I got a chair thrown at me today. That’s pertinent too I guess.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    The guitarist in my band is a teacher.

Last week a child pulled a tooth out in the middle of a lesson, getting blood everywhere and freaking out all the other kids. No reimbursement could be adequate.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    teachers put up with so much shit, I can't imagine a job that exposes you to so many children/teens

children/teens are real terrible.

plus all the lonely art kids using their english teacher as a parental figure

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    ibhgfgrnf4jk.jpeg

There’s a Walter white joke in there somewhere too

Lots of good quotes about the essential role of education and teachers, but that feels a little self aggrandising.

You could do something like “education costs [x], the bosses take [y]. We just want a fair share”

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Improve conditions or I’ll go breaking bad.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The guitarist in my band is a teacher.

Last week a child pulled a tooth out in the middle of a lesson, getting blood everywhere and freaking out all the other kids. No reimbursement could be adequate.

I hope it was their own tooth, at least.

Sign idea: "Support teachers or we'll teach your kids wrong, as a joke"

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    “Thanks for the praise but
    We need a raise!”

• Options
    My other idea was.

It’s one teacher Micheal, what does it cost? Ten dollars?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    My other idea was.

It’s one teacher Micheal, what does it cost? Ten dollars?

Personally love it but I feel like a lot of people would have no idea what it means.

• Options
    Like the other idea was to plan into current memes and do a what’s up my brother sign.

But I feel the only people who would understand would be like people under 18 and about ten percent of the teaching population.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    It's not flashy but

"Remember how hard it was to deal with your own child learning at home during COVID, Now imagine you had 30 kids"

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Lisa needs braces

• Options
    Odin wrote: »
    Lisa needs braces

DENTAL PLAN

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I think "Surely you've learned your lesson by now" would look great on a protest sign.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    "I don't care about your child, but the smart ones should have a chance"

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Would you teach these little shits for [insert dollers/hour]

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Maaaybe best to avoid ideas which denigrate children if attempting to gain public sympathy?

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I spell your destruction is probably a bit much, but I would.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    " go teachers!"

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "I know where your kids go to school"

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    "I know where your kids go to school"

"You do know that your kids tell us all sorts of shit about your home life, right?"

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Reading
    wRriting
    aRithmatic
    Revolution

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Access for students
    +
    Better pay/benefits for staff
    =
    Conditions that only improve your children's future

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I know what skibidi toilet is
    So you don’t have to

What is that worth to you?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    It's not flashy but

"Remember how hard it was to deal with your own child learning at home during COVID, Now imagine you had 30 kids"

"You only have one or two kids. I have thirty." ?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Can't spell
    SOLIDARITY
    without
    DAIRY

This only works if the strike involves dairy workers somehow, but the thread title didn't specify so I'm including it anyway because I thought it was pretty good.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I really dig the one on the left
    redforedsignspsd-e1558669359855.jpg?itok=Exhh-G05

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is a minority opinion or not but I feel like funny signs are inappropriate when you're trying to accomplish serious goals.

• Options
    I don't know if this is a minority opinion or not but I feel like funny signs are inappropriate when you're trying to accomplish serious goals.
    I don't disagree, but funny signs get more attention than a generic "Teacher on Strike!" does.
    And part of a strike's goal is drawing attention to the issues at hand.

• Options
    Give me money or I will go to the dollar store and give every kid in class the loudest toy I can find to bring home.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Give me money or I will go to the dollar store and give every kid in class the loudest toy I can find to bring home.

One of those sticks with the plunger inside that slides back and forth with an ascending and descending noise

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ok kids, your homework this week is to learn the national anthem on vuvuzela

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    "Do you remember home schooling during COVID?"

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

The signs are a form of marketing

Yeah serious ones are of value to get the message across, but you also want messaging that is gonna break through to people, and they're gonna remember one that makes them chuckle

Also helps to make you seem like more of a person to 'em

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Why would you underpay the person educating & taking care of your children?

I mean, I know why. It's a bit wordy but works as a sign.

• Options
    "These uneducated kids are going to be running your nursing home"

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    "If you get what you pay for, why are teachers paid so little?"