Options

[Social Media] The Thread

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    When it comes to general money scams, it's also just sheer volume and cost.

It costs me $100 to send out 1 million posts that say "Give me a dollar". If just 1% of those hit, that's $10000. If 0.1% hit, that's still $1000 and I'm still ahead. And a miniscule 0.01% to simply break even.

That's the scale this shit runs at.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It costs me $100 to send out 1 million posts that say "Give me a dollar". If just 1% of those hit, that's $10000. If 0.1% hit, that's still $1000 and I'm still ahead. And a miniscule 0.01% to simply break even.

It's why AI is gonna make this so much worse. Costs almost nothing to send a slightly more believable message to millions of people. Like, say, fake Selena Gomez giving away Le Creuset remainders for insanely cheap prices and yes that one is real. You need a very small number of people to get scammed to make it profitable.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's why AI is gonna make this so much worse. Costs almost nothing to send a slightly more believable message to millions of people. Like, say, fake Selena Gomez giving away Le Creuset remainders for insanely cheap prices and yes that one is real. You need a very small number of people to get scammed to make it profitable.

https://youtube.com/Sq4ovW011BQ

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ... in that case let's not be too hasty.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited April 18
    MorganV wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    i truly do not understand what the point of the bots even is. surely it doesn't make...any sort of money? like what possibly could the purpose of them be?

Within hours of the Bondi Junction knife attack, there were suspected China-linkes bot accounts on Twitter amplifying up disinformation about it on all sides - i.e. that it was a Jewish attack or that it was targeting Jews.

The bots have been run as an "increase social disharmony" measure by hostile governments for a while now.

Note "amplify" though: the goal isn't any one narrative, it's "weaken the west" and the method is to boost the loudest, organic content in this category.

Americans come up with their own fringe conspiracies, the bots ensure they get all the attention they need.

To expand on CK's inquiry, what is the beneficial purpose, if any?

Cause this seems like "crypto as a solution", in that there are a few net-zero results, a fuckton of negative results, and noone can really give a good example of a truly positive one.

Was... was Elon right about bots? *spits*

No, because he thought all the people left of center right were bots.

And bots have gotten way worse since he took over twitter.

Magell on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    ... in that case let's not be too hasty.

https://youtu.be/IrrADTN-dvg?si=1P0KCEDLNcWCbWDF

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Coming from someone with an identifier written in binary, I'm getting mixed messages here...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    Talking Points Memo
    Truth Social FAQ now tells you how to instruct your broker not to allow short selling on your Truth Social shares

When you absolutely positively are in a good spot and aren't worried about your stock crashing even further.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    House has passed the TikTok ban bill.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    House has passed the TikTok ban bill.

I (sincerely) hope you stocked up on popcorn and squeezy stress toys for the inevitable discourse explosion this will lead to. <3

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Meanwhile across the Pacific

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/04/china-orders-apple-to-remove-meta-apps-after-inflammatory-posts-about-president/
    Apple said it complied with orders from the Chinese government to remove the Meta-owned WhatsApp and Threads from its App Store in China. Apple also removed Telegram and Signal from China.

No idea if retaliation for the TikTok dumbassery or for the given they were mean to the leader reason. China is very very thin skinned about that.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Meanwhile across the Pacific

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/04/china-orders-apple-to-remove-meta-apps-after-inflammatory-posts-about-president/
    Apple said it complied with orders from the Chinese government to remove the Meta-owned WhatsApp and Threads from its App Store in China. Apple also removed Telegram and Signal from China.

No idea if retaliation for the TikTok dumbassery or for the given they were mean to the leader reason. China is very very thin skinned about that.

What, old Pooh Bear doesn't have a sense of humor?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There's no brotherly love on Facebook as The Most Ironically Named City In America vanishes from Meta platforms:
    No one is exactly sure when it happened. Some say Wednesday. Some say Thursday. But this much is certain: At some point in the last week, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, disappeared from Facebook. Philadelphia social media was all atwitter over this mystery for much of the weekend.

“Hey, Facebook, what’s going on with ‘Philadelphia, PA’?” wrote one Facebook user last Thursday. “Why was it removed as my current city? Why is it not available as a city to add back to my profile? And why does it seem none of my friends who currently live in Philly have it on their profile either? Why the hate for Philly?”

Indeed, if you look at the profile of anybody who lives in Philadelphia, you will see that Facebook no longer has a place listed for their current city. And if you had Philadelphia set as your original hometown, same deal. Should you want to try to fix this by adding Philadelphia back as your current city or hometown, no dice. The option of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, simply does not exist.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh wait, do we finally get to stop pretending Philadelphia actually exists?

Tom Hanks makes one good movie set in a fictional city and suddenly everyone thinks its real. I swear.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There's no brotherly love on Facebook as The Most Ironically Named City In America vanishes from Meta platforms:
    No one is exactly sure when it happened. Some say Wednesday. Some say Thursday. But this much is certain: At some point in the last week, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, disappeared from Facebook. Philadelphia social media was all atwitter over this mystery for much of the weekend.

“Hey, Facebook, what’s going on with ‘Philadelphia, PA’?” wrote one Facebook user last Thursday. “Why was it removed as my current city? Why is it not available as a city to add back to my profile? And why does it seem none of my friends who currently live in Philly have it on their profile either? Why the hate for Philly?”

Indeed, if you look at the profile of anybody who lives in Philadelphia, you will see that Facebook no longer has a place listed for their current city. And if you had Philadelphia set as your original hometown, same deal. Should you want to try to fix this by adding Philadelphia back as your current city or hometown, no dice. The option of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, simply does not exist.

They killed Hitchbot. It's still better then they deserve.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    hitchbot had it comin'

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    If being in Philly means I can avoid the all-seeing eye of Zuck, then I know where I am moving to.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I never trusted a city named after a brand of cream cheese.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Biden has signed the Tiktok bill. ByteDance has declared their intention to sue.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    This'll be tied up in courts for a long time. If they win the court case or tiktok is sold, no one that uses the app is even going to notice anything happening ever. and if they lose the court case and can't sell, then the users aren't gonna have to deal with it for years?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    God this is dumb

Don't get me wrong, the Chinese government can still definitely go fuck itself what with the censorship, political prisoners, genocides and installing a dictator but this entire TikTok thing has just been stupid.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Is literally CCP spyware and yes, is worse when the CCP is the one doing it.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    Yeah this bill is mostly good. Ukraine and Taiwan funding. $9b for Gaza. Israel gets some money but that's the trade-off. It's better than the previous agreement that negotiated immigration concessions.

And it has the potential to set Chinese intelligence and data collection / propoganda efforts back pretty significantly.

Seems like a win mostly all around.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Yeah this bill is mostly good. Ukraine and Taiwan funding. $9b for Gaza. Israel gets some money but that's the trade-off. It's better than the previous agreement that negotiated immigration concessions.

And it has the potential to set Chinese intelligence and data collection / propoganda efforts back pretty significantly.

Pretty sure they'll just buy it from other companies and it will change nothing except make people mad they tried to ban TikTok.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think wrapping it with the foreign aid package was pretty shrewd

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Sure is a shit way to run a government though

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

Pretty sure they'll just buy it from other companies and it will change nothing except make people mad they tried to ban TikTok.

Still better to have them need to buy from other companies. And then also we can regulate those other companies to prohibit the sale.

This also ignores the other issue, it’s not just the access to user info that’s a concern, it’s also the control of the algorithm for the purpose of propaganda. TikTok is not a minor platform, the closest analogue I’ve heard is the idea of letting the USSR own NBC during the Cold War. That would be absurd.

The only dumb part of this is waiting so long that it won’t affect anything until after our next major election.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Still better to have them need to buy from other companies. And then also we can regulate those other companies to prohibit the sale.

This also ignores the other issue, it’s not just the access to user info that’s a concern, it’s also the control of the algorithm for the purpose of propaganda. TikTok is not a minor platform, the closest analogue I’ve heard is the idea of letting the USSR own NBC during the Cold War. That would be absurd.

The only dumb part of this is waiting so long that it won’t affect anything until after our next major election.

Yeah taking the CCP's thumb off the propaganda scale by not giving them control of the algorithm is pretty huge in and of itself.

With user data China can still buy or obtain a lot of that user data elsewhere, but it can't replace everything on the open market. Things like access to private messages or having direct control over and access to exactly what data the app scrapes off user devices is huge. Stuff like drafts and clipboard material are things you have access to on your own app, but probably aren't trivial to obtain through a third party.

• Options
    edited April 25
    Edit - weird forum doublepost.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Sure is a shit way to run a government though

Blame the electorate that missed the GOP in majority in 2022. This is the democracy we have, not the democracy we wish we had.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

Another victory for capitalism.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Social media sites are a bunch of billionaires playing dodgeball anyway

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Having a fascist supporting company owning TikTok isn't going to be any better. The main potential bidder is a Trump lacky.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    Hey as of right now, ByteDance is saying they'll just shut down the app in the US if they don't win in court. So no hand wringing about evil american corporations winding up with it required! We're in the clear.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    "We will voluntarily not collect multiple billions of dollars" is something no one, anywhere ever did.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah definitely worthy of suspicion!

If they actually followed through on that, I couldn't think of a better way to prove how linked they are to the CCP than "yeah we'll just take our ball and go home instead of selling for like 200 billion dollars".

It definitely raises into question how much say in the sale their offshore investors have in the entire thing too. It's been brought up here a lot and taken as a given by some that the parent company essentially has no say in the US based operations. I'm incredibly skeptical of that I'll admit, so curious to see how all of that goes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Hey as of right now, ByteDance is saying they'll just shut down the app in the US if they don't win in court. So no hand wringing about evil american corporations winding up with it required! We're in the clear.

Honestly I hope they do that.

If it doesn't cause a massive exodus of users in other countries, it'll hopefully skew the content away from US based content to Euro and commonwealth countries (this is for English speakers obviously)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    "We will voluntarily not collect multiple billions of dollars" is something no one, anywhere ever did.

I believe the reasoning is they don't want to give their algorithms away, which are potentially more valuable to them than TikTok.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    I'd rather it just shut down than still be able to use it but now Joe TechBro owns it

Weaver on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah definitely worthy of suspicion!

If they actually followed through on that, I couldn't think of a better way to prove how linked they are to the CCP than "yeah we'll just take our ball and go home instead of selling for like 200 billion dollars".

It definitely raises into question how much say in the sale their offshore investors have in the entire thing too. It's been brought up here a lot and taken as a given by some that the parent company essentially has no say in the US based operations. I'm incredibly skeptical of that I'll admit, so curious to see how all of that goes.

Because it’s a lie. We have gone over it multiple times in the thread. The Chinese parent company is in complete control. Nothing happens but for their actions in Beijing. There is audio recording evidence of this in terms of operations, data, and the algorithm.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.