Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

examples of good and bad design

124»

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    If you can't grip it

Strip it

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 9
    RT800 wrote:
    I've always thought the human reproductive system is pretty badly designed.

I mean, I guess it works 'cause here we are and all.

But it's certainly not how I would've done things.
    Wider hips, longer gestation, get rid of the useless baby phase and have them ready to walk within the hour like giraffes

I look at it like this,

If you as a human being want to reproduce, first you must first find a partner and do sex.

Now, as if that isn't bad enough - once you or your partner becomes pregnant, the impregnated party must then spend upwards of nine months growing increasingly disabled and uncomfortable.

Eventually the offspring is forced from the womb amidst much blood and pain, during which time the childbearing parent suffers a high risk of death from blood loss, infection, eclampsia, or maybe just being eaten by a bear while distracted. (pre modern medical intervention).

The results is what is likely to be a single child that has an almost 50% chance of dying within the first year anyway. (again, prior to modern medicine).

But even if the child does survive, it is effectively a defenseless burden for roughly 10 to 12 years before it is even remotely capable of fending for itself.

I say no! This method of reproduction is terribly flawed.

But what is the alternative, you ask?

Well, I have just one word for you friends -
    Spores.

RT800 on
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I believe a good compromise between the cargo short and the two pocket short is the GERRY stretch cargo short for hiking

Behold

yl8twih3voes.jpeg

No compromises in fashion. Worse than both other options.

but I own these shorts

I also shop for my casual clothes primarily at Costco

are

are you a Kirkland Signature person too???

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    *starts busting out Costco Membership cards like it’s American Psycho*

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've got a fair view clothing items from Costco.

But nowadays the majority of what I find myself wearing is Magellan stuff from academy sports.

Because at heart, I'm a camping dad.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Meh! Turn the torque down, it'll be fine.

Yeah sure... and then I need to find the needle nose vise grips

If it strips it was meant to stay there.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Good Design:
    xtewycm2lcs0.jpg
    Kung-Fu Squad Assemble! Does about what it sounds like it should from the name, a bit expensive but still cool to pull off.

Bad Design:
    ric587ud7jvk.jpg
    Look at all that text, no one can remember all the ridiculous abilities this thing has.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    even as a casual fan I have a lot of thoughts about MTG's design philosophy over the years. lots of good, lots of bad, it's a really interesting topic when it comes to game design as a whole

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ve never played it (once downloaded a phone app version but it started with boring cards) and I still think we should hold a design your own card fest, and then we have to play a game with them.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I believe a good compromise between the cargo short and the two pocket short is the GERRY stretch cargo short for hiking

Behold

yl8twih3voes.jpeg

No compromises in fashion. Worse than both other options.

but I own these shorts

I also shop for my casual clothes primarily at Costco

are

are you a Kirkland Signature person too???

Apes Kirkland People together strong.

even as a casual fan I have a lot of thoughts about MTG's design philosophy over the years. lots of good, lots of bad, it's a really interesting topic when it comes to game design as a whole

I've been playing Forge, a freeware mtg game a lot lately and that thing has every single card ever made loaded into it. There are some absolutely wild cards out there, both joke sets and real sets. I am constantly surprised by stuff I am finding; having a great time.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 10
    the biggest mistake about Questing Beast is that it's legendary but not called "THE Questing Beast"

I have a lot of opinions about good Magic card design (feels like they've gotten too wordy lately); I always love a good one-word title card that's cleanly reflected in the mechanics.

fw45enmi0zvs.png

KalTorak on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The card Path to Exile:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE7GXwkGYpfWklkWpw76EkHCdUlz9PaUGD3w&s

Really would have been better with the name Swords to Plowshares

swords-to-plowshares-57015.jpg

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That Questing Beast looks nothing like a giraffe, 0/10

I understand a lot of folks aren't hot on them but I really think they've been knocking the crossover cards out of the park. It's obvious whoever is doing the design has a deep affection for the source properties, just look at this:

sprsh8qfs8wh.jpg

Multi kicker! Amazing, no notes

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Most of the crossover property cards aren't interesting to me, but a lot of the LOTR ones they knocked out of the park.

nsl4900x2zgt.png

Get it? You can't hold as many cards because I chopped your fingers off!

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Remember the Ubisoft dev who complained about Elden Ring's UI? Playing through the PS5 version now and thought of it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Most of the crossover property cards aren't interesting to me, but a lot of the LOTR ones they knocked out of the park.

nsl4900x2zgt.png

Get it? You can't hold as many cards because I chopped your fingers off!

Why does Sauron have a volcano hat

who's gonna tell him not to, you?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cause it's fucking sick

Maybe his Nazgûl?? They let him leave Barad-dûr dressed like that???

No wonder he became a giant burning eye, 2000+ years later no one would remember what he wore that day

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 10
    if galadriel had just given that nerd feanor a bit of hair...

PiptheFair on
    If Eru Ilúvatar had just let Melkor play jazz at the beginning of creation like he wanted to, none of this would have happened

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    h7v4u6e7jark.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    4c7d861d-7832-4c15-8d6c-8c07a9a57891.jpg?1686970028

Shadowfax shows us all the meaning of haste.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
    good thing he's uncommon; he wouldn't show us the meaning if he was mythic

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 10
    If Eru Ilúvatar had just let Melkor play jazz at the beginning of creation like he wanted to, none of this would have happened

Eru didn't stop Melkor playing jazz, he just picked up the riff, and Melkor couldn't stand sharing the chase.

tynic on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    as a designer for a living, things are designed bad

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    And that's your fault!

vEaRQgH.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Any of y'all tried to sign up for your public library's summer reading program lately? If so, are they using Beanstack? Because if you ever wanted to see one of the more miserable excuses for a UI that's out there and that makes its product almost impossible to decipher and use, it's Beanstack.

this bitchy complaint brought to you by the frustrated public librarians of the USA, LLC, Inc.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    A stack is one of the worst ways to store beans!

as a designer for a living, things are designed bad

sauju1nk1499.png

A stack is one of the worst ways to store beans!

duh, you store them in an arch!
    l2001faki4g0.png

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I think my entire body and also personality could probably go in the "bad" box.

Who signed off on this? The people demand answers.