Options

New Comic - March 3rd 2008

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    that was the most terrible sentence I've had the displeasure of reading in a good while defender

"Three sentences" is a length. Like "seven feet is (the height) where people just assume you're in the NBA." Thus, it gets the singular.

Perhaps he (or she) was only responding to one of your sentences.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    "internet: serious business" and "haha i was joing the whole time" aren't the same thing

how do you expect us to take you seriously when you can't even get that right

They can be! Depends on context.
    you're the context
    *dooooooooooooooo* LOST

Faricazy on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ascot wrote: »
    hay guys what's going on in here?
    I heard someone was really really really wrong in here?

Boy howdy you heard right

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    All I can hear right now is PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Defender, Assassins Creed doesnt use UE3. It's a proprietary engine made by Ubisoft.

Sorry, I typed UE3 as a reflex. It was Unreal Engine 2.5.

Creed uses the Yeti engine which is heavily modified Unreal 2.5 tech.

I wouldnt say it was the cause for the texture pop in, Unreal Engine 3 shows that often but Ubisoft modified 2.5 enough so that it is more likely down to the LOD streaming they needed for the whole open world thing.
    Much in the same way the Half Life engine was built upon Quake tech.
    Does the Yeti engine have a scientifically computed Fun module? If not Defender will hate it.

OK so it was built on Unreal 2.5, right, which is what I said. You can see it very clearly in the animation, the highlighting effect, the lighting, the shadows, etc. It's got "Unreal" stamped all over it so hard that even if I didn't personally know that Ubisoft loves Epic tech, I'd be able to recognize it as Unreal.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "internet: serious business" and "haha i was joing the whole time" aren't the same thing

how do you expect us to take you seriously when you can't even get that right

They can be! Depends on context.
    you're the context
    *dooooooooooooooo* LOST

AWWW DAMN NO YOU DI INT

Defender on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Defender isnt stupid. I always wondered what it would be like if he posted in G+T more regularly, clearly knowing a lot about games.

Nor is The Far Side. This is just internet arguments. Utterances.

They have no meaning really. Gabe himself didnt do much to contribute to the discussion, by posting only 'You're wrong'. That is far worse an attitude to have than anything Defender has said. At least he justified his opinions on the game by explaining it.

I disagree, however, because I really liked Creed. Doesn't mean Im going to invalidate Defenders opinion on the game with bullshit comments like that.

Gabe doesnt read the forum as we all know, but he almost certainly browses the new comic threads to guage feedback on his work, which lead him to respond to Defender.
    He is, like a lot of people, probably laughing his ass off at how pathetic internet arguments often end up. I wish someone would just be the bigger man and step off.

That said Gabes opinions on Creed are well known, he posted a very lucid and insightful comment about it when it launched that I agreed with. Perhaps Defender shouldnt have attacked Gabe to warrant a response or perhaps we should all shutup and play the fucking game.

It is the insipid need of forumers to always get the last word, to always win the argument. The Far Side hasnt really contributed anything to this thread other than to name call and bait other people. I guess that is passable SE behavior but really, New Comic threads are not really part of SE. They are for the whole forum and are posted in the chat forum for ease of use. Wasnt really right to fuck up a decent thread like that.

Unusual course of events for sure. Creed the game is still causing major divisions among gamers then.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    was there a point to that scarab

Faricazy on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    based on that trailer, this game looks fucking terrible.

or at least, the soundtrack seems to be specifically designed to turn all those near it into homocidal maniacs.

jwalk on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    [edit]ignore this original post

tdefender: how can you say it looked like unreal 2.5

that's total bullshit

it looked great

how can you even refer to the shadows

when it has completely dynamic shadows whereas unreal engine only has pre-computed lightmaps

does not compute

bongi on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cum Hero wrote: »
    quick everybody dogpile on defender cause gabe posted

claiming that your opinion is absolute truth tends to get you dogpiled on in any setting

he invites it

probably wanks to it, really

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am totally going to play Assassin's Creed when blockbuster has the damn thing stocked.

It's always checked out.

Seriously on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I will have to wait for Tycho to weigh in before I can form my own opinion on the matter.

Tell me Tycho, TELL ME HOW WRONG WE ALL ARE!

LightRider on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seriously wrote: »
    I am totally going to play Assassin's Creed when blockbuster has the damn thing stocked.

It's always checked out.

Probably because it's pretty great.

ascot on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Amazingly Im defending defender. not that he needs help he's doing a fine job on his own but some people here need to stop idolising mike fucking krahulik as some sort of unwavering god and realise he can be just as much an ass at times as anyone else. wrong too.
    Jerry though is never wrong, nor can be ;-)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    LightRider wrote: »
    I will have to wait for Tycho to weigh in before I can form my own opinion on the matter.

Tell me Tycho, TELL ME HOW WRONG WE ALL ARE!

He's probably waiting for CH to tell him to post.

ascot on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    jwalk wrote: »

or at least, the soundtrack seems to be specifically designed to turn all those near it into homocidal maniacs.

Yeah, I don't think a game is very good if after only thirty seconds I want to kill whoever made the soundtrack

Also: homicidal, not homocidal

You homo

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm playing Assassin's Creed right now.

I like it, but it's a shame that they created this beautiful open world and gave you hardly anything to do in it. It has tons of potential as a franchise, I think.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scarab: It's not in response to Mike at all.

It's in response to Defender doing what he usually does.

People would be all over his ass even if Mike hadn't posted.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think a game is very good if after only thirty seconds I want to kill whoever made the soundtrack

Also: homicidal, not homocidal

You homo
    Thats OTRSPOD Episode 2...

Kill 100 homos...unlock achievement Homocide!

LightRider on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yea it looks like loco rocco, but I don't recall the soundtrack of loco rocco making me want to kill people in terrible violent ways.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Defender isnt stupid. I always wondered what it would be like if he posted in G+T more regularly, clearly knowing a lot about games.

Nor is The Far Side. This is just internet arguments. Utterances.

They have no meaning really. Gabe himself didnt do much to contribute to the discussion, by posting only 'You're wrong'. That is far worse an attitude to have than anything Defender has said. At least he justified his opinions on the game by explaining it.

I disagree, however, because I really liked Creed. Doesn't mean Im going to invalidate Defenders opinion on the game with bullshit comments like that.

Gabe doesnt read the forum as we all know, but he almost certainly browses the new comic threads to guage feedback on his work, which lead him to respond to Defender.
    He is, like a lot of people, probably laughing his ass off at how pathetic internet arguments often end up. I wish someone would just be the bigger man and step off.

That said Gabes opinions on Creed are well known, he posted a very lucid and insightful comment about it when it launched that I agreed with. Perhaps Defender shouldnt have attacked Gabe to warrant a response or perhaps we should all shutup and play the fucking game.

It is the insipid need of forumers to always get the last word, to always win the argument. The Far Side hasnt really contributed anything to this thread other than to name call and bait other people. I guess that is passable SE behavior but really, New Comic threads are not really part of SE. They are for the whole forum and are posted in the chat forum for ease of use. Wasnt really right to fuck up a decent thread like that.

Unusual course of events for sure. Creed the game is still causing major divisions among gamers then.

Whoa whoa. I did not attack Gabe. I disagreed with his opinion. And based on seeing how he operates for several years, I was unsurprised that he touched down on earth among the mortals to say "nope, I'm right!" and then left. It's no different than if someone posted "MARTIAL ARTS THREAD" in SE++ and drew responses from me or Pony. If you didn't expect that, you haven't been around here for very long. I imagine that it's fun for Gabe to be able to step into a room of his own fans and go "Nope, you are wrong!" and have everybody go "AWWWW SHIT" and then he can just go back to his day.

I don't really post in G&T because I hear, and on the rare occasions that I read there, I see, that it is full of fanboys. SE++ actually affords me more intelligent opinions, while keeping a relatively loose atmosphere. I also don't know a lot about hardware, as I'm a programmer, not an electrical engineer, and I seem to recall that being a big G&T thing.

Although I will likely disagree with your opinions on AC, if you do have something thought-out, I would be interested to hear it.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Im not so sure. before gabe posted people were actually discussing his points. then after it was all 'no u' and complete flamebait never once addressing anything he brought up about the game.

as though gabes post was gospel and they didnt need to justify their opinions with any kind of contructed argument, and had free reign to start yelling at defender.

im not saying defender is completely innocent here. the tone of his defense is overtly hostile but frankly, can you blame him when noone is actually engaging in intelligent debate at all and just constantly trolling him?

i realise this is se but come on. it devolved to 'i know you are but what am i' levels of childishness a few pages back.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008

It's always checked out.
    What's your address? I'll buy it for you.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I like it, but it's a shame that they created this beautiful open world and gave you hardly anything to do in it. It has tons of potential as a franchise, I think.
    The next one is supposedly set in
    JAPAN?!

which would be pretty cool actually

The sneaking gameplay from Splinter Cell, plus the open world and acrobatics in Assassin's Creed, set in Japan, where you play as a ninja, would really be all I want out of life.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It's always checked out.

Probably because it's pretty great.

Or maybe not. My local Blockbuster only had one copy, it took me like two weeks to have the displeasure of playing it for $8.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How are you failing to recognise the part where it was just funny that Gabe came and posted saying that someone who's entire internet-persona centres around being right and arguing, sorry, "debating" was wrong?

ascot on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Amazingly Im defending defender. not that he needs help he's doing a fine job on his own but some people here need to stop idolising mike fucking krahulik as some sort of unwavering god and realise he can be just as much an ass at times as anyone else. wrong too.
    Jerry though is never wrong, nor can be ;-)

Man what

Gabe just posted something. Probably put as much thought into that post as I put into this one. He just happened to hit Defender this time is all.

EDIT: Ascot's got the right of it.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Probably not as much, though, wouldn't you say?

Yeah, absolutely. That's why I made the comment about "12 months." I feel like they had a lot of the basic idea down, the art assets were all really solid, and they just needed time to balance, refine, and polish the thing. It was set up as a franchise, certainly at least a trilogy (that's the cool thing now, anyway), and they'll almost certainly do better next time.

If they do, it might shine some light on what I'm saying about how sterile the current AC game is. Play AC2, then come back and play AC1, and you might notice that the world is pretty barren.

Either way, I agree here. The world's large and beautiful, but ultimately it's empty and boring. They have set such a beautiful stage, but there are game-breaking flaws with all of the major "interaction" systems except climbing. Combat has a broken super-move (counter-attacking), stealth has a broken super-move (blend mode), and the mini-quests are cool but there are too many of them to do and not enough variety. Also, the first HUGE block of the game contains redundant tutorials. These are the kinds of things that can be fixed fairly easily.

Defender on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I can count on one hand how many times I've used blend.
    I prefer uncatchable to unseen.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    http://www.poisonedminds.com/

I don't know why I feel like posting this...

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

The next one is supposedly set in
    JAPAN?!

which would be pretty cool actually

The sneaking gameplay from Splinter Cell, plus the open world and acrobatics in Assassin's Creed, set in Japan, where you play as a ninja, would really be all I want out of life.

That actually contains 64.76999999% of the formula for raw fun. It's science. With that as your starting point, it's pretty much just "don't fuck it up and you're set."

Defender on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    defender have you given a reason why lots of people like it yet or is it just like 'you're all stupid and i am right' kind of deal

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How are you failing to recognise the part where it was just funny that Gabe came and posted saying that someone who's entire internet-persona centres around being right and arguing, sorry, "debating" was wrong?

Did someone miss that? I thought everyone got that part. I mean, maybe not Wiggin or someone, but everyone else.

Defender on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Hurr.
    Man that's fucking original.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I suppose "something to do in the world between missions" and "actual variety in your mission objectives" should get thrown in there, too, but they might be covered by the "don't fuck it up" umbrella.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    defender have you given a reason why lots of people like it yet or is it just like 'you're all stupid and i am right' kind of deal

Bongi, I think that you're asking the wrong side, here. I've spelled out its flaws and explained why I think that it was a great idea with a small handful of gigantic flaws in execution. Explaining why it's good and so forth is the task of the other side. I have actually listed some merits, though. For example, the climbing worked really well, and the city, aside from pop-in, is visually very impressive. The animations and models and textures also look great. And the world is very large.

This has really not been an "I am right and you are stupid" event.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I suppose "something to do in the world between missions" and "actual variety in your mission objectives" should get thrown in there, too, but they might be covered by the "don't fuck it up" umbrella.

Yeah and like "don't have a shitty control scheme" and "GOOD GRAPHICS!" and stuff like that.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.