Options

New Comic - March 3rd 2008

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One would've hoped that they would have fixed those problems for the PC port, but knowing ubisoft I don't really have much faith in that.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One would've hoped that they would have fixed those problems for the PC port, but knowing ubisoft I don't really have much faith in that.

It's a port, not a remake or sequel.

Defender on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is pop-in really a huge problem in AC? I might not notice it as much since I don't have an HDTV, but the few instances I've seen of it are pretty forgivable.

It wasn't nearly as bad as Bioshock in that regard.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    I am right and you are stupid

:x

I am getting sick of being insulted, Defender.

Seriously on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    defender have you given a reason why lots of people like it yet or is it just like 'you're all stupid and i am right' kind of deal

Bongi, I think that you're asking the wrong side, here. I've spelled out its flaws and explained why I think that it was a great idea with a small handful of gigantic flaws in execution. Explaining why it's good and so forth is the task of the other side. I have actually listed some merits, though. For example, the climbing worked really well, and the city, aside from pop-in, is visually very impressive. The animations and models and textures also look great. And the world is very large.

This has really not been an "I am right and you are stupid" event.
    i can see your criticisms but i still enjoyed the game

it's basically like you're saying "the game has loads of flaws, it's not fun" and other people are saying "the game has loads of flaws but it's still fun"

i don't see how you can argue against that without saying "i am right and you are stupid"

bongi on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played Patapon for about 30 minutes just using a demo PSP at Gamestop. It's a good idea in theory, and the art is fantastic, but it fits the very definition of monotonous. I understand it was only thirty minutes, but if I was bored and tired with the game before the one hour mark I can't imagine the situation improving any.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I fail to see why they couldn't make improvements to it, after all theese months. Although, maybe they just don't want to bother or it will take too much of their time.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Pop-in got really noticeable once I switched to HD.
    At least in the horse-riding parts.
    The city parts I was too busy jumping off of shit to pay attention/

Me Too! on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cripes even with a Defender Dogpile (tm) how the hell did a comic thread get to nine pages in five hours

(edit) Oh, gabe posted, carry on then

Ledneh on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    I played Patapon for about 30 minutes just using a demo PSP at Gamestop. It's a good idea in theory, and the art is fantastic, but it fits the very definition of monotonous. I understand it was only thirty minutes, but if I was bored and tired with the game before the one hour mark I can't imagine the situation improving any.
    so is it like locco rocco or something different

Both the music and art are definitely similar, as are the games definite sense of repetitiveness and lack of evolution during gameplay

Javen on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I fail to see why they couldn't make improvements to it, after all theese months. Although, maybe they just don't want to bother or it will take too much of their time.

it's a port

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's a shame because this was the new IP I was waiting for that would entice me to buy a PSP. God of War is definitely good, but it's also undeniably the same has the two for the PS2, so I really can't rationalize a console purchase for it. At least Patapon is cheap, though.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Cum Hero wrote: »

it's a port

Yes, but it also wouldn't have been difficult to make the much needed changes to the enemy AI that would have in turn fixed most of the glaring issues people had with the game

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Is pop-in really a huge problem in AC? I might not notice it as much since I don't have an HDTV, but the few instances I've seen of it are pretty forgivable.

It wasn't nearly as bad as Bioshock in that regard.

I wouldn't say it was really bad, there are just a few times when pop-in kind of mars an otherwise really great view from high up or looking down a very long alleyway or something. It's really not terrible. Also, I played it on a standard def screen, I hadn't gotten my HD screen yet. So it might be worse in HD, more on a polygon-count level than whole characters.
    Seriously wrote: »
    I am right and you are stupid

:x

I am getting sick of being insulted, Defender.

NO WAIT YOU TWISTED IT ALL AROUND ON ME!
    defender have you given a reason why lots of people like it yet or is it just like 'you're all stupid and i am right' kind of deal

Bongi, I think that you're asking the wrong side, here. I've spelled out its flaws and explained why I think that it was a great idea with a small handful of gigantic flaws in execution. Explaining why it's good and so forth is the task of the other side. I have actually listed some merits, though. For example, the climbing worked really well, and the city, aside from pop-in, is visually very impressive. The animations and models and textures also look great. And the world is very large.

This has really not been an "I am right and you are stupid" event.
    i can see your criticisms but i still enjoyed the game

it's basically like you're saying "the game has loads of flaws, it's not fun" and other people are saying "the game has loads of flaws but it's still fun"

i don't see how you can argue against that without saying "i am right and you are stupid"

Well, look back at my posts. Because I have so far managed to do exactly that.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm still a fan of new IPs over remakes and sequels, but this just didn't come through as I'd hoped.

Javen on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It is a rhythm game on a portable system, though. I don't think you're supposed to play it for hour-long blocks.

OK but why? Number one, it's not the same game if they do that. Number two, it costs a ton of money to do that. I think that what they did was release a "basic idea but not done right" as their first game, banking on hype and the idea of "new stealth concept" selling the thing, which is what happened. Then for game two, they're actually going to have to refine it and improve in many of the weak areas, such as combat, stealth, and variety of objectives. For the third game, they should still have room to fix some stuff up, plus add in some new systems.

It just doesn't make sense from a developer's perspective to do that.

Defender on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    i looked back through your posts and i didn't see you address how people disagree with you, only acknowledge that they do

basically what i'm saying is that i can't explain why it's fun, in the same way that i can't explain why i like radiohead

i just do

bongi on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Shit I need to get all my old Pokemon games from dad's house next time I'm out there.
    I never beat Red.
    My heart just wasn't in it after my cousin saved over my game, when I was about to fight Lance.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    this thread exploded

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

it's a port

Yes, but it also wouldn't have been difficult to make the much needed changes to the enemy AI that would have in turn fixed most of the glaring issues people had with the game

What pains me about the combat is that it's so good-looking. The animations are so fluid and, aside from the difficulty of locking on to downed people to finish them off/keep them down while other attackers are around, it all worked so well. The camera work on the counter-moves was awesome, the leg-switching in the stances was pretty well-done, there was a lot of nicely-handled stuff in there. I just wish that counter-attacking were not the be-all-end-all ultimate unstoppable technique.

Defender on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tonkka wrote: »
    All I can hear right now is PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON
    ponpata-1.png

?

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    i think part of the thing with combat is that i am crappy at videogames, and found it pretty challenging

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It is a rhythm game on a portable system, though. I don't think you're supposed to play it for hour-long blocks.

OK but why? Number one, it's not the same game if they do that. Number two, it costs a ton of money to do that. I think that what they did was release a "basic idea but not done right" as their first game, banking on hype and the idea of "new stealth concept" selling the thing, which is what happened. Then for game two, they're actually going to have to refine it and improve in many of the weak areas, such as combat, stealth, and variety of objectives. For the third game, they should still have room to fix some stuff up, plus add in some new systems.

It just doesn't make sense from a developer's perspective to do that.

Well, I'm gonna be honest, I'm new in this field. But it seems as if it is taking them months to get it ported (Or they are intentionally delaying for some reason.), so it might already be costing some money. I don't know how long fixing some of the mistakes would take, and it might be hard to give a accurate estimate.
    But if they did fix the bugs, the PC version would probably get a higher score in reviews, which could give more income.
    But, as I said, this is ubisoft. Not very much known for great ports.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i looked back through your posts and i didn't see you address how people disagree with you, only acknowledge that they do

basically what i'm saying is that i can't explain why it's fun, in the same way that i can't explain why i like radiohead

i just do

Well, the problem there is that I can't do more than acknowledge them, because they generally just said what amounts to "I disagree." Nobody offered counterpoints on why it was good. Nobody offered rebuttals to my criticisms. There was no substance on which to build a reply that would contain anything more than acknowledgment.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i think part of the thing with combat is that i am crappy at videogames, and found it pretty challenging

seriously?

wow....

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

it's a port

What pains me about the combat is that it's so good-looking. The animations are so fluid and, aside from the difficulty of locking on to downed people to finish them off/keep them down while other attackers are around, it all worked so well. The camera work on the counter-moves was awesome, the leg-switching in the stances was pretty well-done, there was a lot of nicely-handled stuff in there. I just wish that counter-attacking were not the be-all-end-all ultimate unstoppable technique.

Well the more advanced enemies do actually counter your counters later on, but I agree it's still pretty overpowered

Javen on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Campion wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »
    All I can hear right now is PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON
    ponpata-1.png

?

AHAHAHAHACAMPION WINS.

ALSO:
    PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON PATA PATA PATA PON

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »

seriously?

wow....
    i died a whole bunch of times during the game and like three or four times during the big fight with all the guards at the end

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Okay, I'll give you that. They wanted a casual rhythm game that you can just pick up and play whenever you want.

But, they also apparently try to tell a serious and involved story, which doesn't really support the 'pick up and play' aspect too much. Also, if every segment is essentially the same (which it is) what incentive is there to keep playing? There are no advanced tactics, no deeper challenges, just "attack, defend, forward, retreat."

Have you ever played Yoshi's Touch and Go? The gameplay is different, but they share many of the same flaws.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Did you try using the counter-attack move? If you just hold the "guard" button, then press "attack" right before their sword connects with yours, Altair will do a scripted move. This move inflicts MASSIVE damage, and you can't be hit while you're doing it (I think). It kills many enemies in one shot. Also, if it's a one-on-one fight, and it doesn't kill the person, it does knock him down. When he's down, you can just pound on him with regular sword moves until he dies.

If you have trouble with the timing, the courtyard area has a little sparring ring, and the first sparring lesson you get is "how to land counters." You can practice there. It becomes very easy very fast, especially since enemies generally telegraph their moves really far in advance.

Defender on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008

Did you try using the counter-attack move? If you just hold the "guard" button, then press "attack" right before their sword connects with yours, Altair will do a scripted move. This move inflicts MASSIVE damage, and you can't be hit while you're doing it (I think). It kills many enemies in one shot. Also, if it's a one-on-one fight, and it doesn't kill the person, it does knock him down. When he's down, you can just pound on him with regular sword moves until he dies.

If you have trouble with the timing, the courtyard area has a little sparring ring, and the first sparring lesson you get is "how to land counters." You can practice there. It becomes very easy very fast, especially since enemies generally telegraph their moves really far in advance.
    i was just crappy with the timing

same with the dodging

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ok so I just watched a youtube of a boss fight in patapon

ALL THEY SAY IS PATA PATA PATA PON OH GOD I WENT CROSSEYED

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    also bongi never play a DMC game

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The art will keep you playing, and if you're anything like me you'll find yourself playfully muttering 'chika chika pata pon' to youself while walking down the street, but the gameplay is pretty flaccid.

Javen on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also bongi never play a DMC game
    i completed DMC4 on devil hunter but that's probably the hardest difficulty i'll ever manage it on

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Man, I don't dare look at the pata pon trailers anymore...
    It seems like the kind of thing that would get stuck in my head untill something would trigger a catastrophic event in my brain, resulting in me killing something else.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    PinballPinball Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh god. Campion, that drawing is awesome

Pinball on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i still have to play Assassin's Creed, if only to form my own opinion on it. because as of yet, i have not had the chance to take a look.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
This discussion has been closed.