As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DS roguelike] You have failed me PA. (SHIREN THE WANDERER)

• Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You go with what you have on yourself, you are in the starting town, so level 1. You skip past towns with a "Theres no time for town" cutscene. The corpse is always in room packed with items/monsters. Once you click on the corpse you take the body and return to the first town.

Also, the item you send, if you choose, is chosen out of your warehouse.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Considering you don't need to flash the firmware of the DS to run homebrew, there really is no risk of bricking the DS.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. For some reason, I thought you needed to.

I have one of the older DS heavies, does that make a difference?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Deswa wrote: »
    You go with what you have on yourself, you are in the starting town, so level 1. You skip past towns with a "Theres no time for town" cutscene. The corpse is always in room packed with items/monsters. Once you click on the corpse you take the body and return to the first town.

Always? what if i died of hunger in a very sparse location?

Ive been thinking about it. and if no-one is willing to rescue me before i get back from work tonight.. i'll just begin anew..
    I didnt have anything that was irreplaceable.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It makes a difference in which carts you can use, yeah. Some of the newer ones only fir the Lite.

And you USED to have to Flash the DS, but not anymore. :)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mighty wrote: »

Always? what if i died of hunger in a very sparse location?

Ive been thinking about it. and if no-one is willing to rescue me before i get back from work tonight.. i'll just begin anew..
    I didnt have anything that was irreplaceable.
    For the most part, if you grab that start Big Ricecake and dont dilly dally, you should be fine on hunger. Just make sure to pick up any food/eat any weeds as you find them.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    It makes a difference in which carts you can use, yeah. Some of the newer ones only fir the Lite.

And you USED to have to Flash the DS, but not anymore. :)

The only way to go these days is a slot 1 card, which will work just fine on any DS, phat or slim. I have an EZflash 5 with the 3 in 1 cart, and I love it.

Powder is great, btw. It has strong nethack vibes, and can be quite tough. The deaths have been fairly amusing too. Summoning an imp in a small room with an enemy is a quick way to die by fireball. :D

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    If you stay on a single floor too long the winds will start blow, warning you to hurry up and go the next floor ot get blown the fuck back to level 1. I can see why they did this when theres items in the game like the Happy Armband that give you XP for every step you take.

I actually haven't had it happen to me at all yet, NPCs told me about it, how long were you on that floor?
    I actually couldn't find the exit, if you can believe that. When I tried going out I remember it saying something about losing my (nonexistant) party and going back to level 1 if I did so, so I kept looking. Then the wind.

I may have simply mistaken the exit for that floor for the way back to town, I'm not sure. Anyway, I was surprised when I died of extreme wind, but it does make some sense to limit turtling on easy levels. Of course, death is a rather harsh penalty and I miss my awesome sword.

But that's what makes this kind of game fun: consequences both good and very bad.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zorak15 wrote: »
    If you stay on a single floor too long the winds will start blow, warning you to hurry up and go the next floor ot get blown the fuck back to level 1. I can see why they did this when theres items in the game like the Happy Armband that give you XP for every step you take.

I actually haven't had it happen to me at all yet, NPCs told me about it, how long were you on that floor?
    I actually couldn't find the exit, if you can believe that. When I tried going out I remember it saying something about losing my (nonexistant) party and going back to level 1 if I did so, so I kept looking. Then the wind.

I may have simply mistaken the exit for that floor for the way back to town, I'm not sure. Anyway, I was surprised when I died of extreme wind, but it does make some sense to limit turtling on easy levels. Of course, death is a rather harsh penalty and I miss my awesome sword.

But that's what makes this kind of game fun: consequences both good and very bad.

All floors have 1 set of stairs. this set of stairs will go forward, or back. if you choose to go back to the canyon hamlet however... the game resets your level. i don't remember if it removes all money and items though.

I have yet to even *hear* of the wind yet. the dungeons are too small. the only time i thought i was going to get those warnings is when i encountered a thief walrus and a pickpocket. they stole my money and a jar of holding... i wasnt gonna let that fly. i hunted those bastards down.

Mighty on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys, I could use another save, 0000-0000-0000-1608. 11 floor, and I had a KICKASS party. The blind girl, the massuse, and the scared little girl. It was ridiculous.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    The reviews for this game are so mediocre but you all make it sound so awesome. This is my next purchase after FF:CC:RoF: DS:Abbreviations

Thats because the game isn't designed for the typical review mindset of rush through the game to get the review done as soon as possible to move onto the next game. With the game being far more difficult than your average game, and death sending you back to level 1 again, they're going to bitch that they can't just plow through the game with no resistance.

Still could use a rescue, floor 10 or 11 monster house. 0000-0000-1573

Finally was able to rescue you. Funny thing, had to fight an twice upgraded rice changer, used a dragon herb, went from lvl 5 to 13 in one shot. Made fighting the monster house a bit easier.

I'm still having trouble getting past the illusion levels, so I doubt I'll be able to rescue anyone past level 21 or so, I keep losing my party to random enemies and have to run away.

Musan on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think there should be a new rule:

No rescues without funny stories about how you died.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh man, I need a rescue bad. This run was going great, until I starved. Level 12 with a plated +2 Katana, a Pot of Holding 5, 3 different switching staves, etc. I had some little girl and the chick who blinds people in my party too. Please save meeee.

My code is in the
    333!9 9CWF 99JY0
    VP4Y0 KQM4 Y1!T0
    M!0L6 N3PC !9PGS
    ZWPCR JKX1 B7J10

I wish I had working wifi on my DS so I could send a thank you. :(

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think there should be a new rule:

No rescues without funny stories about how you died.

i second this!

inthegray on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Corrupt save file FTL :(

...I just hope my warehouses are ok.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Musan wrote: »
    The reviews for this game are so mediocre but you all make it sound so awesome. This is my next purchase after FF:CC:RoF: DS:Abbreviations

Thats because the game isn't designed for the typical review mindset of rush through the game to get the review done as soon as possible to move onto the next game. With the game being far more difficult than your average game, and death sending you back to level 1 again, they're going to bitch that they can't just plow through the game with no resistance.

Still could use a rescue, floor 10 or 11 monster house. 0000-0000-1573

Finally was able to rescue you. Funny thing, had to fight an twice upgraded rice changer, used a dragon herb, went from lvl 5 to 13 in one shot. Made fighting the monster house a bit easier.

I'm still having trouble getting past the illusion levels, so I doubt I'll be able to rescue anyone past level 21 or so, I keep losing my party to random enemies and have to run away.

Thank you letter sent! Time to go stash some shit in a storage center.

And for whoever was wondering earlier in the thread, Yes, you can BWalk onto a bag of money and put it into a Jar of Holding.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How are you guys starving? Food has been the least of my worries, you can set out with an entire inventory full of big riceballs if you so choose.

But then again, you all might just be getting further than I.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A Bear wrote: »
    How are you guys starving? Food has been the least of my worries, you can set out with an entire inventory full of big riceballs if you so choose.

I didn't know about the free big riceball until I looked at the manual and it mentioned it... See, Manuals can be useful... For some reason I guess I just never talked to the bartender when I was trying to talk to everyone at first.

And hey Musan, that monster house you rescued me in, I found two pickaxes. Anyone know where I should look for finding hidden rooms with them? Is there any kind of visual cue to hidden passageways at all?

And I've now got my Plated Katana +5 and Plated Armor Ward +1 in the storage center in Mountaintop Town, going to leave them there and just hit the blacksmith on them everytime I pass through with money.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I stupidly left without grabbing any of my riceballs. Never saw a single bit of food on my travels either. I bought a riceball at the first town, but I really should have bought the other one that was there too. :|

also a tip: Don't have a pot of holding in your inventory when you talk to the pot guy the first time. Out of the half dozen pots I had, he took my empty pot of holding and threw it.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh yea, my friend code is:
    3952-6815-9138

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    God this game is awesome. I walked into a monster house, stepped on a Summon Trap, and then a Skull Mage teleport me out and now I'm just running around the dungeon hunting everything down one by one.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I didn't know about the free big riceball until I looked at the manual and it mentioned it... See, Manuals can be useful... For some reason I guess I just never talked to the bartender when I was trying to talk to everyone at first.

And hey Musan, that monster house you rescued me in, I found two pickaxes. Anyone know where I should look for finding hidden rooms with them? Is there any kind of visual cue to hidden passageways at all?

And I've now got my Plated Katana +5 and Plated Armor Ward +1 in the storage center in Mountaintop Town, going to leave them there and just hit the blacksmith on them everytime I pass through with money.

Thanks for the gift. Got some nice stuff from your thank you and another one, jar of melding and a happy armband.

Pickaxes are good for stealing stuff from storekeepers in dungeons. Otherwise, you have to use scrolls of light to see where everything is.

Musan on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hey Mighty, if no one rescues me, or notifies me of their attempt, I try to save you in 20 minutes.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just picked this up, you guys sold me on it. I just hit the second town, it seems okay so far, but I'm hoping it will get better as I get farther in.

Do you only get three rescues ever? Or is it three, and then you are forced to start over, and then get three more?

elevature on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just picked this up, you guys sold me on it. I just hit the second town, it seems okay so far, but I'm hoping it will get better as I get farther in.

Do you only get three rescues ever? Or is it three, and then you are forced to start over, and then get three more?

After 3 you automatically get sent back to the Canyon Hamlet (1st town) where then you'll receive 3 more rescue attempts.

Oh ya...

How's this so far?

A short FAQ...
    Q.
    What kind of game is Shiren?

A.
    Shiren the Wanderer is what many would call a roguelike rpg similar to games like NetHack where the game play is mostly relegated to turn base combat and movement system. The game by many would be considered extremely lacking in visuals but what it lacks in glossy visuals presentation it immensely makes up in enjoyable game play.

Q.
    Is any prior experience with roguelikes necessary for me to enjoy Shiren?

A.
    Absolutely not. If you've ever played any type of RPG games before then you're essentially set. All you really need to prepare for Shiren is to have a care free attitude for the punishing death penalty that'll occur and be worried free of lost. So as long as you don't mind going through randomly generated dungeons and certain monotonies of turn base combat then you should be fine.

Shiren is probably not the best introduction for new players to the roguelike genre but personally I've never really played any "roguelikes" prior to Shiren, as I've only had time playing other RPGs or strategy games with turn based systems and love Shiren immensely. Of course the game isn't for everyone especially if you're looking for a more action-oriented RPG gameplay like Diablo. But don't let other roguelikes' ascii visuals scare you from Shiren, it's presentation is as welcoming as it'll get.

Q.
    What happens when you die? What are the consequences?

A.
    When you die in Shiren you will be sent all the way back to the first village in the game. That it itself wouldn't be so bad in it self but for the fact that you also are reverted back to level 1 stat and loose all the items your currently carrying can be a major pain in the rear. Of course there are many helpful things you can do to lesson all the aggravation caused by death; read on...

Q.
    Is there any way to prevent item lost when you die?

A.
    As a matter of fact YES! When you die (and you will) you are given an option to have someone rescue you from the dungeon you have fallen in and recover with all the items your were carrying. You can have someone rescue you as much as 3 times before you have to return back to the 1st village after a death (where your 3 rescue permissions are then reset). Rescues can be done through either wifi or the password input system.

The game also has a storage (warehouse) system where you can store your items that don't vanish after a death. Of course you don't have instant access to your storage while in a dungeon but it comes in handy when you want to store godly items or weapons that you have been slowly buffing after each death and use on later "planned" adventures. A special jar and courier is also available that'll let you send off any item to the storage places, this can become very useful and come in handy right before a death blow is struck to your wanderer.

Q.
    But I don't want to die! Wah!

A.
    Unfortunately death is going to happen one way or another in your journey no matter if you like it or not. But really you're just going to have to look on ahead in the end and learn from your mistakes. You never know, perhaps you'll even find a better item then the one you've had before your death.

Example: I was so happy to get a polearm in one play through and was angry to no end loosing it through a death. But fortunately before I even left the 1st town I acquired a +1 version of the weapon (ZOMG!). Yay! Crap, died again. Oh hey look a +3 version!

Q.
    CRAP! I died! HELP!

A.
    Either post your wifi code or the password and someone will be on their way to rescue you in no time. Don't forget to also give details on what floor you died on and if it was a monster house (dungeon full of monsters) or not. Also please remember to send a "thank you" letter after you've been rescue as it'll also attach your rescue hero a special thank you gift (wifi only). :)

What else should I add/fix? I am no expert at this :P

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mighty, your password is not working for me.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Is there any merit to completing all of a section of Fay's puzzles? I have only a handful left, but they are all spread out keeping me from having any set of 10.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys I think I saw this game a long time ago and forgot the name and now I want to play it. But! I got izuna not too long ago and kinda found it boring/easy. So, compared to izuna, how is shiren?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mighty, your password is not working for me.
    damn.... uh is there a way to re-check it?

Edit - screw it. i'll re-start. i was on the 26th floor anyhow

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pretty sure you just have to go to continue adventure and it'll tell you.

Also, I love my walrus shield.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just killed the dog :(

With a riceball :(:(:(

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Haha, I did that, I also killed the little girl.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Guys I think I saw this game a long time ago and forgot the name and now I want to play it. But! I got izuna not too long ago and kinda found it boring/easy. So, compared to izuna, how is shiren?

i also played through izuna, and it's a LOT less polished, fun, challenging, and rewarding than shiren. izuna gets wayyy boring after a few hours. i haven't been bored with shiren yet.
    Is there any merit to completing all of a section of Fay's puzzles? I have only a handful left, but they are all spread out keeping me from having any set of 10.

there's no reward for finishing a set, but there's a VERY nice reward for finishing them all
    three blank scrolls

inthegray on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Do they die for good? My accidental homicidal nature hopefully wont wreck any NPC interaction I might get.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nah, that stupid girl has gotten blind several times again.

Anyone waiting for a rescue?

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am constantly denying my "brother" too, I have a feeling that its not the wisest move...

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    inthegray wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »

i also played through izuna, and it's a LOT less polished, fun, challenging, and rewarding than shiren. izuna gets wayyy boring after a few hours. i haven't been bored with shiren yet.

Excellent

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crap, just had an unexpected death while trying to help the blind masseuse in hill top town.

Fricken shopkeeper! :x

Didn't realize one of them was one, could have used the Dragon herb...

Ahh well, nothing good was lost really except for a blast shield.

:|

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    Crap, just had an unexpected death while trying to help the blind masseuse in hill top town.

Fricken shopkeeper! :x

Didn't realize one of them was one, could have used the Dragon herb...

Ahh well, nothing good was lost really except for a blast shield.

:|
    Please tell me you didnt attack a shopkeeper when
    the blind man is being attacked at the right side of the town. Pretty sure you just have to talk to everyone and then the blind man again, no fighting

On my way Blarney

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pretty sure you just have to go to continue adventure and it'll tell you.

Also, I love my walrus shield.

Walrus shield is pretty badass.. though an iron shield of +12 is nice too.

Y'know... i wish there was an anti curse armband. i hate having my stuff cursed.. though sometimes... you get a bless scroll that cleans everything not in a jar.

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I had a Armor ward + 9 before I died...

It was rough, but Mr Blarney is saved.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote: