Options

"This OP sometimes changes..." FALLOUT 3 S.P.E.C.I.A.L EDITION DETAILS!!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Eh, I thought they were a bit too orchestral. The third track was pretty good though.

The main title reminds me of something out of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Bethesda has a habit of making the title theme for a game far more epic than anything you find in the game itself.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    So I just picked up Fallout 1 and 2 again. What should I install with them? Patches, mods?

Patches. Be aware the Fallout 2 will still have bugs even with the final patch installed.

Are there any fan patches?

tofu on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I just picked up Fallout 1 and 2 again. What should I install with them? Patches, mods?

Patches. Be aware the Fallout 2 will still have bugs even with the final patch installed.

Are there any fan patches?

Here's the link to an extremely impressive fan patch.

According to the notes it fixes a ton of things in Fallout 2 and it's also set up in case you already installed 1.2 for your game.

There's also an unofficial fan-made expansion pack out there somewhere, but I'm gonna finish the vanilla version before trying that.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bits of the title theme reminds of Heroes of Might and Magic 3.....

I'm going to complain about it, its not like its bad, but I was hoping for ambient stuff more in line with the originals.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'm going to complain about it, its not like its bad, but I was hoping for ambient stuff more in line with the originals.

I'm reserving judgement til the game is in my hands. It's different, but I can see it working. Since it's a first person game, we're going to see more of the world moving around us instead of just scrolling and clicking through screen after screen so more dynamic music could fit the flow better now.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'm reserving judgement til the game is in my hands. It's different, but I can see it working. Since it's a first person game, we're going to see more of the world moving around us instead of just scrolling and clicking through screen after screen so more dynamic music could fit the flow better now.

Good point. It's not like its going to kill the game for me, it just seems alittle too in your face, but maybe it will go better with first person.

I'm wondering how the music will work with the in game radio stations. I'd imagine it would turn off when you turned the radio on.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I imagine they want to put their "biggest" music out there first, too. They probably don't want to lead off with the stuff designed to melt into the background and be really subtle.

Or that's how it's all gonna sound and won't be as cool, who knows.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Inon Zur is a crazy name.

I bet he has superpowers or lives in an ancient castle.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    my local EB didn't have the collector's edition in their system, so I could only pre-order the regular edition. anyone else have this problem?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know, if you're playing Fallout 3 on the 360, you could just stream the Fallout 1 soundtrack from your PC :)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit that screenshot of the dude shooting at a ghoul.

This looks like it's shaping up to be fucking amazing.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know, if you're playing Fallout 3 on the 360, you could just stream the Fallout 1 soundtrack from your PC :)

You know, if you're playing Fallout 3 on the PC, you could just play the Fallout 1 soundtrack.

(Not trying to start console wars, just thought it was funny)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »

You know, if you're playing Fallout 3 on the PC, you could just play the Fallout 1 soundtrack.

(Not trying to start console wars, just thought it was funny)

If you've got a mac you could stream it to your stereo and listen to the awesome music.

....But then you couldn't actually play the game D:

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm wondering how the PS3 version of this will hold up. How was the oblivion ps3 port?

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Eh, I thought they were a bit too orchestral. The third track was pretty good though.

Bethesda has a habit of making the title theme for a game far more epic than anything you find in the game itself.

Just Oblivion, really.

Morrowind's was pretty mellow.

And I don't even think Daggerfall had a main theme.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Just Oblivion, really.

Morrowind's was pretty mellow.

And I don't even think Daggerfall had a main theme.

Yeah, that's true. I think the only tune I can recall from Morrowind was the title theme.

Anyhow, I was just hoping that the music for Fallout 3 would be a bit more ambient sounding. That's what I liked about the music from the first two games. It never really tried to capture your attention, but it added so much to the atmosphere of the games.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does Fallout 3 have a release date yet or is it still too far off?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Picked up F:BoS on the PS2 about a week ago for $15. I must admit that it wasn't even worth the 25c a minute that I played it for, truly terrible :| Xmen Legends does everything so much better.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Picked up F:BoS on the PS2 about a week ago for $15. I must admit that it wasn't even worth the 25c a minute that I played it for, truly terrible :| Xmen Legends does everything so much better.

We told you so.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm pretty sure it's Fall '08. Don't know if they've gotten any more specific really...

Daxon on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Daxon wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's Fall '08. Don't know if they've gotten any more specific really...

That'd be perfect. I should be just starting to come down off my GTAIV high by then.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    So is the PC version coming out at the same time as the 360 one? Or will there be a long wait?

All three versions come out at the same time unless something changes, which I doubt.

Something...something never changes.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »

You played it that long?

I think I picked it up used for a tenner just because I needed a fix, and the clerk warned me. I keep it as part of my monument of shame I hope to build some day.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The major thing that worries me about Fallout 3 is the potential amount of bloom. NPCs in the 360 version of Oblivion practically glow. I just played about 30 minutes of it, because I needed an elder scrolls fix, and now I have a splitting headache. I really need a new video card so I can get a decent framerate on the PC, which has options to turn that shit off. Bloom is never good. There is no instance of it ever being good.

This picture should convey how my eyes feel right now.
    1208311283896.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You get used to it.

Then you go outside and you wonder why the world looks so strange.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    most also tend to have a slideable scale or straight up disable option for bloom

but seriously, have any of you been able to pre-order the special edition at your local store or just online? I don't want to pay the ridiculous shipping fees

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I picked up a copy of Xbox 360 magazine - which, suprisingly for an official magazine, doesn't appear to be a load of crap - and glanced over their article on Fallout 3.

Wherein I read the following sentence:

"For the first two hours of play, it all becomes eerily familiar - that is until your dad decides to leave Vault 101 and you set out to forge a trail of to one of over 200 different endings."

Emphasis mine, of course.

I'm sure this is old news to everyone else, but... Holy replay value, Batman!

Legba on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't get too excited - running theory is that it's an exponential number based on a handful of possible outcomes.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So there might be, say, 20 different endings that can be combined in 10 different ways?

Heck, I'm normally happy enough to replay a game with 2 different endings. If it's 10, 20 or 200, I'll have my fill.

Legba on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    So there might be, say, 20 different endings that can be combined in 10 different ways?

Heck, I'm normally happy enough to replay a game with 2 different endings. If it's 10, 20 or 200, I'll have my fill.

What happened in the previous games is that for every city or village you visited, at the end of the game they (well, Ron Perlman, which makes it more awesome) gave you a summary of how your actions affected the place and how things went over time.

It was pretty cool, Fallout was one of those games that really gave me a sense of a living, breathing world. The way your actions had an actual affect not just on the places you visited, but could also have knock on repercussions for the rest of the wasteland.

A lot of the replay value for the original games came out of playing good or evil. Or shifting your allegiances with different groups and cities. Heck, there was a LOT of mileage you could get just by playing a stupid character. :mrgreen:

Odds are that there won't be quite as much of the "stupid" dialogue this time around. Some of the things a really thick character could do were hilarious.

subedii on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Odds are that there won't be quite as much of the "stupid" dialogue this time around. Some of the things a really thick character could do were hilarious.
    There won't be any stupid dialouge according an interview I read a while back.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Legba wrote: »

What happened in the previous games is that for every city or village you visited, at the end of the game they (well, Ron Perlman, which makes it more awesome) gave you a summary of how your actions affected the place and how things went over time.

It was pretty cool, Fallout was one of those games that really gave me a sense of a living, breathing world. The way your actions had an actual affect not just on the places you visited, but could also have knock on repercussions for the rest of the wasteland.

A lot of the replay value for the original games came out of playing good or evil. Or shifting your allegiances with different groups and cities. Heck, there was a LOT of mileage you could get just by playing a stupid character. :mrgreen:

Some of the endings would come at you from out of nowhere too. You think you're helping one New Reno family clean up the city and you then happen to have unprotected sex with someone important at just the right (or wrong) time . . .

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And the one ending that they never fixed.

I guess one of the fan patches probably does.

august on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    most also tend to have a slideable scale or straight up disable option for bloom

but seriously, have any of you been able to pre-order the special edition at your local store or just online? I don't want to pay the ridiculous shipping fees

It's up on Amazon as the Fallout 3 Collectors Edition. That's where I've got it pre-ordered.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just have to say, thats probably the best goddamn collectors edition EVER. And probably the only one i will ever buy. I think im going to preorder it, like right now.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zeon wrote: »
    I just have to say, thats probably the best goddamn collectors edition EVER. And probably the only one i will ever buy. I think im going to preorder it, like right now.

No doubt. The bobble head does it for me, it's worth the extra $20 alone.

theantipop on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. It's a pity, being stupid was a viable choice for the Fallout games. Well, technically I suppose it's viable here too but they're not going to cater for it with different things happening to dumb people.

subedii on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. It's a pity, being stupid was a viable choice for the Fallout games. Well, technically I suppose it's viable here too but they're not going to cater for it with different things happening to dumb people.

The best was Fallout 2, when stupid characters and stupid NPCs would converse in highly cultured language.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In some magazine (Edge, maybe?) they described some of the dialogue tree/quest options in a very early quest when you're a child in the vault:
    This is the Vault bully, Butch, and his little cronies,’ says Hines pointing at a table of youths. ‘They’ll start talking about how they’re forming a gang and what they want to call their gang. He wants a sweet roll that Mrs. Palmer gave me, and there are a variety of different options here. I can wuss out and give it to him, I can ask him if we can share, I can spit on it and give it to him, I can tell him to go suck his head, I can insult his mom — so we give the player a lot of choices and how Butch will react depends upon these different choices, so if I choose one of these last two options he basically gets up to fight me.

I'd probably spit on it and give it to him. :x

Clevinger on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Haha, that's a realization of one of the classic questions from the Elder Scrolls character creation.

That's just awesome.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
This discussion has been closed.