As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"This OP sometimes changes..." FALLOUT 3 S.P.E.C.I.A.L EDITION DETAILS!!

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If that's as big a concession to "propriety" as they're going to make, I'm happy with that.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dumb question: Where can I find the Main Theme they released with the concept art? YouTube turns up nothing and I can't find it on the main site.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If that's as big a concession to "propriety" as they're going to make, I'm happy with that.

No kids to plant dynomite on

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dumb question: Where can I find the Main Theme they released with the concept art? YouTube turns up nothing and I can't find it on the main site.

Here.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, it just dawned on me that I have a kickass pc. Now I have to choose between 360 and pc.

Great.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm going with 360 just because I don't care as much about interface, and I like achievements.

And I think having a super-purty Fallout experience in the dark on a big TV while laying on a couch will be jaw-dropping.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think I'm leaning towards pc. Ever since getting the orange box I prefer shooting with mouse look, and I don't give a shit about achievements. I'm also guessing there will probably be some mods down the line?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm backing the PC version, because mods are basically what made Oblivion fantastic and I don't want to miss out.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm also going PC for ze mods!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    dammit

I hadn't thought of the mods. Now I'm totally torn.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mods made Oblivion bearable for me on the PC. Can't imagine playing Fallout on anything other than a PC TBH.

For the 360 version, WYSIWYG.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Okay, here's the deal:

If the game is generally great but has some bad design decisions or fucked-up elements that could and will be fixed with a mod, I'll PC it.

If the game is generally great and quite comfortable to play with no bits that make you think "Ah, I wish there was a mod for X, that would make me feel a lot better" I will 360 it.

I feel pretty happy with this decision.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    "Ah, I wish there was a mod for groin shots, that would make me feel a lot better"

Welp, that was a quick decision for you.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    shush you

I am an equal opportunities consumer

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

See, that's such a mistake, because if I can't do it ingame I'm just going to find some kids in the real world.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

See, that's such a mistake, because if I can't do it ingame I'm just going to find some kids in the real world.

haha, nice.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If they release full tools like they have been with previous titles, it is an easy, easy choice.

stigweard on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Every time I hear some rumor of uncouth and inappropriate fanboyism for the original, I think of the speech from Stalingrad in Call of Duty and replace german and facist with fanboy.

edit: As far as the dynamite thing goes with children, its one thing when its a sprite running around and going boom, its quite another when its a 3d model running off and going pop with all sorts of giblets flying through the air and hitting you on the face.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    I really doubt they're shooting for a teen rating.

What with the exploding heads and all.

And the bloody mess trait is pretty lame. Takes out all the reward of making an awesome critical.

I usually pick up 2 traits anyway so there's no room for Bloody Mess.

most of the traits had some negative side that really didn't make it worthwhile. gifted was really the only one that was worth it in the long run.

there's nothing better than watching someone blow up after being shot in the arm with a pistol

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    I really doubt they're shooting for a teen rating.

What with the exploding heads and all.

And the bloody mess trait is pretty lame. Takes out all the reward of making an awesome critical.

I usually pick up 2 traits anyway so there's no room for Bloody Mess.

most of the traits had some negative side that really didn't make it worthwhile. gifted was really the only one that was worth it in the long run.

there's nothing better than watching someone blow up after being shot in the arm with a pistol

Maybe, but they made your character interesting, and so in that sense it was pretty worth it to me, just because it gave a unique experience.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've always wondered about how far people should take things in the name of freedom of choice in a game. I'm rather ambivalent about the option of brutally and graphically murdering kids in games, but if you're so for it why should it stop there?

Should you also be able to graphically rape a woman in the game world? My evil character might do something like that, so I should have the choice, right?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Every time I hear some rumor of uncouth and inappropriate fanboyism for the original, I think of the speech from Stalingrad in Call of Duty and replace german and facist with fanboy.

edit: As far as the dynamite thing goes with children, its one thing when its a sprite running around and going boom, its quite another when its a 3d model running off and going pop with all sorts of giblets flying through the air and hitting you on the face.

That's true. The latter would be way more hilarious.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I agree, it would be awesome to pop little thieving children with dynamite.. so I guess we will wait for the exploding children/cockshooting mod.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    I've always wondered about how far people should take things in the name of freedom of choice in a game. I'm rather ambivalent about the option of brutally and graphically murdering kids in games, but if you're so for it why should it stop there?

Should you also be able to graphically rape a woman in the game world? My evil character might do something like that, so I should have the choice, right?

It's hard to get a decent fucking animation.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait you can blow up children in Fallout 1 or 2?

Is it 2 with those thieving fuckers in one of the first towns?

shryke on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Wait you can blow up children in Fallout 1 or 2?

Is it 2 with those thieving fuckers in one of the first towns?

Yeah, something about arming a bomb in your inventory, and just let them steal it from you.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pretty sure its the den in F1 with the pick pocket kids, but I'm also pretty sure there's a bar in one of the F2 towns where's the a high chance of being pick pocketed by kids when you walk in.

Set the timer on some dynamite, drop the rest of your inventory somewhere (or trade to an NPC) and then let them steal the ticking bomb.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    wyrlss wrote: »

I doubt any game developer, aside from the weird Hentai ones, would deliberate allow rape into there game, as well the exploding children was more of a trick than it was intended (wasnt it?) since you couldnt target kids at all. A game with rape, and child killing would likely be slapped with an AO rating and lose distrobution at almost all retailers.

Not a good business decision.

As for how far they should take it, if you arent worrying about the almighty dollar. It would be interesting to see a game that allowed so much freedom, especially a graphically superior one. Would you feel sick after doing it, would you be able to do it. Oh sure your "character" might be able to do it but even its still you pulling the strings. Heck I have a hard time being a dick in games, although clocking that guy in Mass Effect was strangely satisfying.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    darkmayo wrote: »

I doubt any game developer, aside from the weird Hentai ones, would deliberate allow rape into there game, as well the exploding children was more of a trick than it was intended (wasnt it?) since you couldnt target kids at all.

No, you could kill kids in a variety of ways in the old games. Flame throwers, grenades, energy weapons, dynamite, beat them to death with your fists and legs, club them to death with some melee weapon etc.

Instead of letting kids steal dynamite, you could also pick-pocket them and put the live dynamite in their inventory. It's cool that they're bringing back that feature for FO3 (though obviously without the kids).

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I doubt any game developer, aside from the weird Hentai ones, would deliberate allow rape into there game, as well the exploding children was more of a trick than it was intended (wasnt it?) since you couldnt target kids at all.

No, you could kill kids in a variety of ways in the old games. Flame throwers, grenades, energy weapons, dynamite, beat them to death with your fists and legs, club them to death with some melee weapon etc.

Instead of letting kids steal dynamite, you could also pick-pocket them and put the live dynamite in their inventory. It's cool that they're bringing back that feature for FO3 (though obviously without the kids).

I stand corrected.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I doubt any game developer, aside from the weird Hentai ones, would deliberate allow rape into there game[...]

...I shudder to think of what sort of bug would accidentally allow a player to rape a woman. Especially since I don't doubt 90% of players would do it at least once (which isn't to say that I think gamers are rapists or that rapists are gamers, only that rape is a crime about control, and gaming is likewise a passtime about controlling your character, so in a way rape in gaming is disturbingly logical, if morally incomprehensible).

added: on the topic of this paragraph:
    As for how far they should take it, if you arent worrying about the almighty dollar. It would be interesting to see a game that allowed so much freedom, especially a graphically superior one. Would you feel sick after doing it, would you be able to do it. Oh sure your "character" might be able to do it but even its still you pulling the strings. Heck I have a hard time being a dick in games, although clocking that guy in Mass Effect was strangely satisfying.

Because a significant part of gaming is being in control, I think it'd be artistically and psychologically more interesting to put the player in the position of the rape victim. Put the player into a situation where he's obsentisbly in control of what's going on (namely, playing a game as the protagonist) and then completely rob him of that sense of control.

I think the two most interesting levels of Call of Duty 4 are the shortest ones--the prologue where you're in the back of the car riding to your public execution and the aftermath of the nuclear explosion. They weren't fun, but they really made you think about what it's like to be helpless in the face of inhuman brutality.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    SammyF wrote: »

I doubt any game developer, aside from the weird Hentai ones, would deliberate allow rape into there game[...]

...I shudder to think of what sort of bug would accidentally allow a player to rape a woman. Especially since I don't doubt 90% of players would do it at least once (which isn't to say that I think gamers are rapists or that rapists are gamers, only that rape is a crime about control, and gaming is likewise a passtime about controlling your character, so in a way rape in gaming is disturbingly logical, if morally incomprehensible).

I find it strange how so many of us enjoy killing people in video games. I wonder how long until graphics, animation, and AI render these fake people nearly lifelike and how it'll change the FPS market.

How long until FPS games truly become murder simulators?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I find it strange how so many of us enjoy killing people in video games. I wonder how long until graphics, animation, and AI render these fake people nearly lifelike and how it'll change the FPS market.

That isn't strange at all.

Now, the guy talking about virtual rape, that is.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Until games show accurate consquences to murder, or have you effectively do the act yourself instead of clicking a button we will never get to that point. Decry gamers loving killing as much as you want but the reality of taking someones life is leaps and bounds away from doing it with your own hands.

Of course you could argue that remote controlled weapons where you are pushing buttons and killing people, makes games already murder simulators. But this is a discussion better left for another forum.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I watched the Die Hard movies enough that I now feel confident enough with murdering that I think I could take down a squad of Fabio terrorist. Or an army of unarmed children.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Decry gamers loving killing as much as you want

Except I'm not decrying it (see where I say "us"), I just find it strange and interesting.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gamers liking games with violence in them is about as strange and/or interesting as male gamers liking games with chicks with big boobs. Its not really.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm gonna agree with that other guy and say pretty much never. Unless it was some fucked up interactive Running Man kinda thing, where whoever loses actually dies. I'm also 100% not against rape in a game, when they have the animation and graphics to do it right. Otherwise it'll just look corny and stupid, and be hard to take seriously at all.

Then again, if that's what the game is going for, more power to 'em. But if Postal 2's taught me anything, it's that games like that tend to get old after about five or ten minutes, so I doubt I'd be suckered into buying another game like that.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gamers liking games with violence in them is about as strange and/or interesting as male gamers liking games with chicks with big boobs. Its not really.

Are you telling me we think differently? How can this be?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Are you telling me we think differently? How can this be?

Not particularly. But you and the majority of people do if you find it strange. People love violence.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
This discussion has been closed.