As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anyone know where I could find out the system reqs?

Probably won't find those out until closer to launch. I would guess it would likely want something in the Geforce 7-8 range for good play, maybe Geforce 6 for lower end play. That's just a guess, but we seem to have largely reached the 360's limit for graphical power (well, I'm basing this mainly off of UE3 games and particularly Mass Effect's performance on the 360 here), which means that ports from the 360 aren't likely to require more than that over the next 2-3 years of its life. At least not unless they seriously ramp stuff up in the porting over.

subedii on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Having watched the comic it seems like the story isn't going to be too bad either. The only thing I hate about horror games is that the characters who were around (but are now dead) seemed pretty cool and I feel guilty about there deaths because they were essentially killed to create a setting that would entertain me.

Yes, it's strange.

Daxon on
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    uncensored versions plz.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Lingxor on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    but the kids might hear it

they might hear them satans words and grow up all corrupted like

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In space....

No one can hear you cuss.

Lingxor on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know, Issue 0 looks like it takes place after the rest of them. I'm pretty sure they'd mention
    the alien attack

if it had happened to them.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's why issue 1 says "Three Weeks Earlier" at the beginning

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well fuck me

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    or, "Five Weeks Ago," rather

well, same thing

Praise Altman!

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have to give them a thumbs up for those animated comics. Certainly established a story/mood that intrigues me even more than the original gameplay videos did. I'm just hoping they're not writing a story check that the game can't cash.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    I have to give them a thumbs up for those animated comics. Certainly established a story/mood that intrigues me even more than the original gameplay videos did. I'm just hoping they're not writing a story check that the game can't cash.

I have a feeling they'll wrap up most of it before the game starts.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    but there's obviously also a lot of story in-game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr8c_dlQetE

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lingxor wrote: »
    uncensored versions plz.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

You know, there is an official site where all the updated things are officially put up:

http://deadspace.ea.com/

Or are you too young to enter?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This looks scary as shit. Gonna have to play this during daylight D:

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm not sure I like the art style they used for this kind of comic...I like it, but I thought something more realistic would suit it better.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This monster is really fucking gross and probably NSFW.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Cloudman88/deadspace3.jpg

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

Purpose, meet defeat. :P

Really from what I've seen, it just looks as if it's going to be more actiony than scary. Like RE4

subedii on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »

Purpose, meet defeat. :P

Really from what I've seen, it just looks as if it's going to be more actiony than scary. Like RE4

I think there's good potential for a game to be both, but it hasn't really been done very well so far.

The developers have stated on numerous occasions that they wanted to make a scary game too, so we'll see.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Daxon's formula to space scariness:

1) Have ambient music with lots of metallic sounds + footsteps.
    2) Have monsters talking to themselves in scary modulated voices. Lots of uses of "Join us, We are one."
    3) Monsters run really fucking fast and can open doors.
    4) Add flickering lights.

Oh wait that's SS2. I'd rather this game wasn't too scary, the stuff I've seen doesn't look all too scary so I'm good. I can't play scary games for more than a half hour without crapping my pants.

Daxon on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hoping, nay, praying for RE4 in space.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Hoping, nay, praying for RE4 in space.

Sorry, you can actually move like a human being might be able to instead of like a multi-ton tracked vehicle.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is EA we're talking about here, let's not set the bar too high!

tofu on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    Daxon's formula to space scariness:

1) Have ambient music with lots of metallic sounds + footsteps.
    2) Have monsters talking to themselves in scary modulated voices. Lots of uses of "Join us, We are one."
    3) Monsters run really fucking fast and can open doors.
    4) Add flickering lights.

Oh wait that's SS2. I'd rather this game wasn't too scary, the stuff I've seen doesn't look all too scary so I'm good. I can't play scary games for more than a half hour without crapping my pants.

Nah, not me. I always loved the ominous subtlety of Alien/Aliens.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This looks like Doom 3.

Except if the plot wasn't handled by a retarded teenager.

So that's good.

august on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My buddy did a good amount of the levels/environmental art for this.

Another guy(someone I didn't know) was showing off the high-poly models he used for his bump maps, using modo.

Between the two, I already know this game is going to look shit hot. Gameplay, we'll see, but I have high hopes.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    august wrote: »
    This looks like Doom 3.

So that's good.

We don't really know how well the plot's going to be integrated into the game just yet. There's still plenty of time for it to live down to expectations.

I felt Doom III's plot was actually OK for what it wanted to do (Doom never relaly had a plot to begin with as it was), they just could have implement it better. A lot of the atmosphere was good but the constant audio logs completely broke the pacing of what was supposed to be an action horror game.

Although the gameplay itself wasn't too hot to begin with.

subedii on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The original dooms plot was that demons were killing us so we had to kill them back, with chainsaws and lasers

Doom 3 evolved it pretty nicely, but I found the gameplay lacking.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope they are pimping the shit out of this because it's a new IP and is good, and not because they know it's shit but still need to make money.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    I hope they are pimping the shit out of this because it's a new IP and is good, and not because they know it's shit but still need to make money.

It's not as if we can tell right now anyway. Hype is hype.

I'll be happy if the produce a PC port that doesn't make me want to go skeet shooting with the disc.

subedii on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1) the comics are great. They make me want the game based on the plot alone.
    2) The gameplay looks good too. Solid graphics, interesting combat, cool mechanics.
    3) Me want.

Halloween can't come fast enough.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This looks like Doom 3.

So that's good.

Yeah. *Dr. Betruger*, what a surprise, story wise. :? Might name him Dr. Cheat or Dr. Diabolus if you are at it.
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    1) the comics are great. They make me want the game based on the plot alone.
    2) The gameplay looks good too. Solid graphics, interesting combat, cool mechanics.
    3) Me want.

Halloween can't come fast enough.

Yep. It certainly has rissen to my "must buy this" list.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i watched the dismemberment video

ok, now i'm scared of the monsters

you know, when they stop showing them as just flailing scythe arms in half-second smash cuts they are actually intimidating, being that they are basically in your face promptly and never give up no matter how much shit you chop off them

also i like the sight of an environment that isn't copper panel hallways in the dark

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just hope they port it to PC, and take a lesson from Mass Effect PC while they're at it.

Unless it sucks of course.

Drool on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm certainly curious how those alien things come about considering the girlfriend says that they are
    people she knows, or that they at least have their faces. Nothing in the comics so far has even hinted at mutation, there was a weird thing found in the sewer but I didn't notice any connection to anyone in the station who seemed to be just going insane or commiting suicide.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's coming out for PC.

august on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I just hope they port it to PC, and take a lesson from Mass Effect PC while they're at it.

Doesn't Mass Effect PC have some kind of bug that causes some PCs to overheat and shutdown?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Doesn't Mass Effect PC have some kind of bug that causes some PCs to overheat and shutdown?

No, that's the 360 version.

heyo

august on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

How does that work? It forces your components to work... a lot?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm certainly curious how those alien things come about considering the girlfriend says that they are
    people she knows, or that they at least have their faces. Nothing in the comics so far has even hinted at mutation, there was a weird thing found in the sewer but I didn't notice any connection to anyone in the station who seemed to be just going insane or commiting suicide.

I'm 99% sure it has to do with mutations and "accelerated evolution" things. This is because in the game play video a monster took a bit of another monster and used it to augment its strength and also when attacking stuff they might mutate into something different and attack in a different way.

The cultists also keep on talking about how the mark is the way to new levels of understanding beyond death or some such nonsense; which kind of hints at the idea of ascension. I dunno; I'm certain they mutated cause of the mystical energy or some parasite that possesses the crew and turns them into battle machines.

Daxon on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the new game play clip i watched on GT, makes it looks like theres some sort of Gravity gun rip off in the game. Could be pretty awesome. Also it could just be some hook shot or something, i watched the low quality version :oops:

This game could get rid of the bad taste I'm left with from AITD, Just hope it is scary.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
This discussion has been closed.