As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like a thing unto iron!

• Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, War Machine and some Initiative recruits tried.

that whole "because i'm spider-man" scene cracked me up. i loved that his guest spot in the issue was to drop in and make our heroes look like total chumps

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I picked up volume 1 last week and immediately read through the whole thing. So good. Should I wait for volume 2 at this point or try to gather up the individual issues?

<---relative comic newbie

Prospicience on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Personally I'd wait for volume two. They're just about to switch creative teams, so by the time the second trade comes out (3-4 months?) not only can you pick up the rest of the Fraction/Brubaker run in one go, but there will also be definitive word out on whether the new team is worth reading.

And if they are, then you just have to grab a few singles and you're all caught up.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I thought this arc was incredibly mediocre and muddled.

august on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    august wrote: »
    I thought this arc was incredibly mediocre and muddled.
    Yeah

And Danny didn't even come out of it with an amped up power set which I thought was going to be the whole point.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It dragged on far too long but I liked the way it ended.

except for the Danny vs. Train part, that was stupid

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yeah but i really liked that image of danny with the blazing dragon on his chest.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So I picked up volume 1 last week and immediately read through the whole thing. So good. Should I wait for volume 2 at this point or try to gather up the individual issues?

<---relative comic newbie

well, the most recent arc just ended, so right now would probably be a pretty good point to try jumping on if you wanted to start buying them monthly. i'd recommend just starting with the next new issue and waiting on the trade for this last storyline. it shouldn't take too long to come out.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thank 'yall for the suggestions. Kinda disappointing to hear this arc wasn't quite as good, I'll still pick it up nonetheless though and most likely just as the volume.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    it's not that it wasn't good per se. it was just convoluted enough that i bet it'll read better in the trade.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    it's not that it wasn't good per se. it was just convoluted enough that i bet it'll read better in the trade.

The art changing all the time didn't help the story flow well in singles either.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think it will be better in trade, to be honest. The art changes were a bummer, but I think the story was very good.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So... Brubaker and Fraction really phoned in this one, didn't they? IIF #14 was shit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So Aja really didn't draw a SINGLE PAGE of #14?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So... Brubaker and Fraction really phoned in this one, didn't they? IIF #14 was shit.

shit is harsh, but yeah, it was quite disappointing. All that buildup for this? D:

That said, guess who's still buying the hardcover of the second tpb and continuing to read this after the creative team switch? that'd be me..

valiance on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to finding out what happens on Danny's 33rd birthday

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    valiance wrote: »
    That said, guess who's still buying the hardcover of the second tpb and continuing to read this after the creative team switch?
    A sucker?
    that'd be me..
    A-ha! ;)

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So wait
    You're not going to give the new creative team a shot at all?
    Yeah, nothing dumb about that

Me Too! on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    valiance wrote: »
    That said, guess who's still buying the hardcover of the second tpb and continuing to read this after the creative team switch?
    A sucker?
    that'd be me..
    A-ha! ;)

:oops: yeah I bought the hardcover of the first volume because it was so good . So to keep my shelf symmetrical the next one has to be a HC too. In my defense, it's not too much more expensive than the TPB, and it looks pretty rad.

I'm iffy about Duane Strawhatshisface, but I like Travel Foreman's art (even though it's dangerously sketchy in the preview pics I've seen), so I'll give them an issue or two.

valiance on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ah. See, that's what happens when one is too focused on the quick joke. Yes, I am going to give Duane Swierczynski and Travel Foreman a chance. Probably. To be perfectly honest, I've been pretty indifferent about everything I've read in the last six weeks except for Criminal, so I'll probably get it. But I'm not looking forward to it.

PDF one-page preview of #17 from Previews: http://previews.diamondcomics.com/support/previews_docs/Splash/MAY08/ironfist.pdf

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Newsarama interview and preview

Swierczynski and Foreman's debut issue, Immortal Iron Fist #17, is due in stores on July 23rd.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    the interview was rad

not really feelin that art

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I really liked his art in the title before. Not sure what happened.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's sad that they are going back to the costume with the collar.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Agreed, the collar costume is so out dated and lame I can't imagine why they didn't keep the newest version.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    God I hate the collar
    Hate it hate it hate it
    I'd rather see a dude in a t-shirt, jeans, and a mask than that fucking collar

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I dont care about the collar

that art just dosent look very good

a little too Top Cow for me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The thing I hate about the collar is, it's not practical as a costume
    You can't hide that fucker under your clothes

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved Travel Foreman's art on Ares, and I love it that preview. Very kinetic, which is perfect for Iron Fist. I think the color palette's a bit too garish, and a softer one might service his style better, but I'm still digging it.

Kind of agree on the collar though, even though I was a defender of Booster Gold's collar, which many hated. For a martial artist character, it doesn't really make much sense. Plus, people were responding favorably to Aja's redesign of Iron Fist, so I don't see the point in going back to his classic look.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I mean if this is going to partly be in flashback then yeah that works
    We'll have to wait and see
    I'm hoping that it is because it's about the thing that's been pursuing the Fists

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i remember reading somewhere that Danny will not always wear the same costume.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    17 was pretty good.

I had my doubts about Swierczynski, but I liked it.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, for anyone doubting the new direction for Iron Fist, don't. This issue was very dense, containing three pretty good fight scenes, some relationship drama, some buddy banter with Luke Cage, information of the state of Danny's company, a brief aside relating to a past Iron Fist in the wild west, and the introduction of Iron Fist's newest enemy.

I thought it was very well done, aside from one or two panels where the art looked kind of.. smudgy.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    And yet people have been saying his Cable is so decompressed it could give you the bends.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    It's not really a "new direction."

I mean, Fraction set the stage and I think Swierczynski is running with it. It didn't once feel disjointed like it usually does when a new writer takes over.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The only thing bugging me is the whole dying at 33 thing since Wu Ao Shi didn't seem to die, and we know for a fact Bei Bang Wen didn't die, so that means -3- and not 1 have escaped this so called "fate"......that we know of so far.
    And yet people have been saying his Cable is so decompressed it could give you the bends.
    Cable is -painful- and I fear that Deadpool will suffer the same fate without Fabian behind the wheel

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The only thing bugging me is the whole dying at 33 thing since Wu Ao Shi didn't seem to die, and we know for a fact Bei Bang Wen didn't die, so that means -3- and not 1 have escaped this so called "fate"......that we know of so far.
    Cable is -painful- and I fear that Deadpool will suffer the same fate without Fabian behind the wheel

But they didn't say they were thirty-three when those stories happened
    Hell, Wu could have had kids when she was 21, so don't try using the kids as proof of age
    So no, Orson is the only one that has escaped

Me Too! on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    immortalironfist007023hp1.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It also says the rest of their days weren't long, meaning she died young
    And we don't know how old she was at the time of that story
    So
    Orson is the only Fist to have made it past 33, most likely because most of that time, he wasn't using the power and wasn't actually an Iron Fist again until the Crane Mother's kids tracked him down and he was like FWAM BITCH

Me Too! on