As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of Gaming w/ Significant Others

Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
My wife didn't used to understand why guys love video games so much. That is, until I bought her a Nintendo DS. She's by no means a hardcore gamer, but she has a certain appreciation now where there was none before.

My story revolves around the Nintendo DS and a little title called Contra 4. She had an NES as a kid with her brothers and played the original Contra. Fond memories, plenty of enjoyment, etc. etc. She's almost done with Professor Layton, and I thought had a higher frustration tolerance level. After all, she married me.

It took about 30 seconds for Contra 4 to crush her soul. Honest to God, I thought Nintendo DS was going out the fucking window.

I am also a firm believer that if you and your significant other can survive Virus Buster mode in Dr. Mario Wii, your relationship can withstand anything. We played with a lot of, "What the hell are you doing? MY GOD you just screwed this whole thing up!" All well intentioned, but after getting a bit overzealous with moving pills around and ruining the perfect set up, I thought I'd be on the couch sleeping for a week.

Now, these aren't exactly great stories by any means but you get the intention of this thread. What tales of gaming can you share about your significant other that made you laugh/cry/get divorced/etc.?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
Idx86 on

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am pretty sure that if I tell my girlfriend to practice using hammer on's and pull off's one more time while she is in the middle of playing a song on either Rock Band or Guitar Hero, I am going to end up with a guitar in my face.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My wife loves the hell out of our Wii/DS; unfortunately, that means I have to endure the hour-long coin-toss that is Mario Party 8 from time to time.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My first thought at seeing this thread was that Namco is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with naming their RPGs.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My first thought at seeing this thread was that Namco is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with naming their RPGs.

I admit, I laughed.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I played TF2 now and again. At first my girlfriend said it looked neat but FPSs always make her queasy. Alright, whatever. A little while later I convince her to give it a try. I suggest that she start as a medic so she can learn the map, but she takes about 15 seconds until she sees a heavy and goes "no I wanna be that guy!"

I'm like OK, be the heavy then.

She plays for a while, seems like she's starting to get the hang of it. She's defending the last capture point on Badlands, and she goes "shit I'm out of ammo what do I do"

I'm like "Ask the engineer to build a dispenser." I tell her to hit C and then 4 or whatever the command is.

Heavy goes Put Dispenser Here! and she was instantly hooked. The look of joy and mirth on her face, it was like she was 6 years old and I told her not only is there a santa claus, but he brought you a pony.

She has my account now. I had to buy a new PC so we can play together. She's much better than me and in a clan. 8-)

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thought it was going to be about coop experiences in the Tales of series, which are potentially very fun if you and your group enjoy a coop rpg romp.

Joule on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll just add that my wife was *soooo* pissed when I bought a DS. "Another gaming system?!" ...within like a week she had her own.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Monolithic wins this thread. For serious.

Second place ain't bad, though, so I'll just say:

Strip Worms Armageddon. That is all.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Monolithic wins this thread. For serious.

Second place ain't bad, though, so I'll just say:

Strip Worms Armageddon. That is all.

Gold. Also, I will also note that Wii games seem to inherently lead to Strip variants.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Sad thing is that, at first look, I did think that this was going to be a new Tales of game/topic.

Also, the phrase "It did not end well" better make at least one appearance.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to marry my girlfriend. Why? Well, the other day while we were talking I was googling mystical ninja for 64. And I began to tell her my love for the game and the console in general. She then tells me her and her family loved it so much they bought two, one for her and one for her older sister and brother. She, infact, still has it. And after she convinced me to buy Mystical Ninja, I bought No Mercy as a surprise because i love that game and so does she

So. Tonight? We're going to play a fuck ton of Ladder tag team matches.

Oh, and she also enjoys other games. She wanted to play TF2 one time and she actually got quite a few kills as the pyro. She also is crazy into Smash brothers.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah. My wife is a gamer because of me. She played a little when she was younger, but I passed her on to the true joys of gaming. She became incredibly good in SSBM, but doesn't enjoy SSBB as much (neither do I actually). But we both have our own DS's...it was a requirement. Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Nintendogs and a bunch of others. And the Wii gets a lot of loving as well. Love my wife to death and she is a damn good strategist :D

She won't stray in to PC games though. She prefers the kind of stuff we can sit on the couch together or lay in bed with our DS's next to each other and chill after the kids are in bed. Good stuff.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Me and my wife use to play Tekken together. She started picking Eddie all the time.

We don't play Tekken any more.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think the DS is a magic device that can win pretty much anyone over. My wife hadn't played a game since Mario 2 on the NES, and was never interested in anything I played.
    As soon as I showed her how the DS works, and got her to play New Super Mario Bros. she was hooked. (Loves the minigames)

Scotty on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    one of the things that attracted me to my longtime friend/current GF was that she was a gamer, an avid lover of Animal Crossing and Monkey Ball (shes the NES fanboy in the relationship), but shes played EVERYTHING with me back in the day growing up from Marble Madness to Goldeneye 64. (Banjo-Kazooie and Skies of Arcadia are some of her faves, for instance.)

Recently we sat down and played through the whole Simpsons (Movie) game on my 360 (one sitting - 6 hours) and it was a wholly enjoyable experience (another great example of how poor camera control and platforming can ruin almost any game. D:)

She can also hold her own on Hard Guitar Hero/Rock Band (she prefers Bass, as every perfect girlfriend should.) and knows a lot of the songs/bands before playing them (this always makes me like people more..), she actually knows a lot more about music than me.

/vote title change to "Ladies are the best Player 2s" :winky:

I mean, if you want to be a gay gamer that's fine too...

because only dudes post here.
    seriously.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the wife wanted to learn Bombastic and we play as a team. Getting to level 100 together was awesome. Roll those sixes baby!

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My ex-girlfriend was a Nintendo gamer. N64, the system I never had, because I was a PlayStation owner. But she'd done the whole 120-star run on Mario 64, gotten everything in pretty much every Rare game (Conker's BFD was her favorite), etc. Wholly platform gamer.

We were shopping one day and she looked at Burnout 3 and suggested I get it, which was cool with me 'cause I didn't have any ideas for anything in particular that day.

Brought it home and we both got hooked instantly. She ended up playing it way more than I did.

tl;dr stupid whores love Burnout 3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Me and my wife use to play Tekken together. She started picking Eddie all the time.

It did not end well.
    I had to do it.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My girlfriend was Pit every single time in SSB:B. Fucking annoying ass fuck that he is.

It did not end well.

Also my girlfriend likes to take over my throne every time we play Rock Band. Drums are mine, bitch!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you think Dr.Mario is bad play some Myth co-op and give her the dwarfs...

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My wife watched an episode of Kim Possible the other day where Kim was trying to hang out with the guys and ended up playing a zombie game with them. Kim had no idea what she was doing with the result that Kim's game avatar was repeatedly punching herself in the face. My wife laughed so hard and said that's exactly how she felt whenever she gamed with me. But hey, she enjoys gaming by herself (mostly DS & Wii stuff) so that's good enough for me.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My girlfriend plays a lot of games. The only game that she could beat me at consistently is Soul Calibur 2. I'm not excited to start playing 4 with her.

She mainly plays a lot of RPGs. But she never finishes them. She will get to the boss or the last area and just stop playing. It bugs the crap out of me.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just finished beating the DKC trilogy with my wife on the virtual console (DKC 3, btw, is not nearly as good as I remembered). Much fun was had. She's pretty much turned into a Nintendo fangirl with the Mario (old, new, and paper) and Zelda games. Currently on her way through OoT.

Other than that she has an unhealthy attachment to Kingdom Hearts 1&2. Besides countless beatings of the game, including Ultima weapons, she actually recorded her entire playthrough of KH 1 onto VHS so she could just watch it anytime she wanted instead of playing. She also pressures me to continue playing games with good stories (or TF2...what is it with girls and TF2?) so she can watch.

And then there is WoW, but...yeah...:P

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    JBesides countless beatings of the game, including Ultima weapons, she actually recorded her entire playthrough of KH 1 onto VHS so she could just watch it anytime she wanted instead of playing.

That's kinda weird.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I wish I could get the wife to game with me more often. We played through Fatal Frame II and III together and had a lot of fun, but I can't really get her interested in much else.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Man, I wish I could get the wife to game with me more often. We played through Fatal Frame II and III together and had a lot of fun, but I can't really get her interested in much else.

Buy a Nintendo console. Seriously.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My fiancee grew up with games, although not to the extent that I did. I think the latest console she owned when we first started hanging out was an SNES, although they got a PS2 in the household by the time we started actually dating. Her father got her and her siblings more into PC gaming and was an absolute Id fanboy, so she grew up on stuff like Doom and Quake.

Anyway, she loves gamimg, but her schedule prevents her from doing it as much as she'd like. I think the last game she played the hell out of was Mario Galaxy. She got all the stars in the game, including the ones you get the second time through. I'm still at 110 stars or something.

She really loves the Castlevania games, especially the Metroidvanias. I remember her not only completing Circle of the Moon before anyone else in our group of friends, but also beating all the extra "modes" you unlock in that game. She has completed Portrait of Ruin; I've only gotten the worst possible ending.

We've tried to get through Diablo II at least three times, but we always stop in the desert. Actually, we've never seen past that area. She'd like to play WoW one day, and I'd love to start playing again if she ever does decide she has the time for it. I even grabbed a WoW Battlechest for $20 last Black Friday, so it's just a matter of her having the time for it now.

SteevL on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Buy a Nintendo console and get Bubble Bobble on the Virtual Console. Seriously.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just finished watching the gf play through the Pixeljunk Eden demo for the 8th time. In a little while we're going to fire up Rock Band and see if we can get gold stars on any of the Weezer tracks, with me on guitar and her on bass and vocals.

It's taken 8 years but fuck me playing video games with your SO is awesome.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Crashmo wrote: »
    JBesides countless beatings of the game, including Ultima weapons, she actually recorded her entire playthrough of KH 1 onto VHS so she could just watch it anytime she wanted instead of playing.

That's kinda weird.

Well, she's a big fan of napping on the couch with a good show on, and she loves KH, so it just made sense.
    It's very weird.

edit:
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    playing video games with your SO is awesome.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have to say, I kind of enjoy that wife enjoys certain games with me (the Wii especially) but is not into the more "hardcore" games like MMOs and some of my 360 games. She enjoys watching them now and then, but it's nice to have a hobby to myself.

I showed her Dr. Mario 3 or so years ago, and she's played it almost every day since on my old GBA.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My girlfriend mostly enjoys watching games while I play them. I'm playing Majora's Mask "with" her currently.

She does play Diablo2, and a few other things from time to time.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man my SO is really fun to play with (HEYO) but she has such insane needs for games. She basically has liked Mario, Katamari, Rock Band... and not a ton else. Like, she doesn't dislike games, she's just not in the mood to learn how to do something after work if it doesn't lead to delicious baked goods.

However, nothing is cooler than saving your lady love when she's starting to fail out of "Run to the Hills" by wailing on your plastic guitar.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm an older(ish) fellow now, and it's true what they say: you never forget your first. My first was a helluva girl, and I miss her (she found religion and got married, I'm sure she's quite happy). She was the first this, the first that, the first girl I met who knew her way around a Playstation. We had some good times, working our way through Galerians - I'm sure it didn't get fantastic reviews, but I loved that game, perhaps merely as a result of the company I played it in.

Anyway, it just occurred to me reading this thread that we kinda' met through a video game. I've told this story once on the forums before (I think it's a good story), but here it is again. This is the story of how I went to a dude's birthday party, convinced his girlfriend to leave him and humiliated him in the arena of the SNES. Ain't I a stinker? (Bites into a carrot.)

Spoiler'd for size. Seriously, don't read it if you're just going to bitch about 'walls of text' after.
    I'd met her a few times through mutual friends, and I thought she was a cool girl, but that's about all I thought. One day my buddy and I go to his best friend's birthday party - my buddy's best friend is dating Her. During the party, I wander downstairs and find her sulking on a couch, so being the (no, seriously) nice kinda' guy I was, I ask her what's wrong, and listen to what she has to say. Basically, she wants to break up with her boyfriend, the birthday boy, for various reasons - but it's his birthday, so it's a bad idea - right?

I give her my sagacious counsel (a birthday is a bad time for a breakup, but a relationship is an agreement of trust between two people - if you value what you had and honor that agreement, you know it's wrong to lie to him), and proceed back upstairs where some people are throwin' down on Killer Instinct. It's important to note, at this point, that I don't particularly like her boyfriend. He's a little cocky, a bit of a jerk (kinda' like me), but comes across as a nice enough guy.

In the kitchen, I notice there are multi-packs of PEZ candy lyin' around - something that was a trademark of mine at the time, I was partial to the Bugs Bunny dispenser - and immediately demand to know whose PEZ those are. Turns out, they belong to the birthday boy!

I guess I was feeling a little alpha-male that night, 'cause I announced that I could kick anyone's - anyone's ass at Killer Instinct. Naturally, the birthday boy took offense at this, and challenged me to a duel, which I was happy to accept if the stakes were a multi-pack of PEZ (though I kinda' had the feeling the stakes were much higher - this was a battle for honor!)

I don't remember which fighter he chose, coulda' been Spinal or Jago or TJ, but when I went for Sabrewulf I got a chorus of catcalls from the room. "He's so slow!" yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, if you remember anything about Killer Instinct, you know that I was able to walk into the kitchen, snap up my PEZ multi-pack and stroll back into the living room before he hit the ground after my final Ultra Combo. The night was won! Arouuuu!

After, my friend and I walked Her home post-breakup, he with his arm around her, I with my PEZ. A few weeks after, she would confess at the time she had wished I'd been the one holding her, but there was plenty of time for that later.

We were together about two-and-a-half years, and I'll never forget that woman. I hope she's happy with her Catholic and French husband and that she's got all the little kids she wanted. I also kinda' hope she misses me sometimes, too.

Here's to you, Trish. I landed that forward-back-light kick for you.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Story

.... I'm going to go hug my wife now.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ^.^

Chance on
  • Options
    se.dude11se.dude11 Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    My wife and I came to a hot female friend's house. After some wine we started playing Big Brain Academy. Somehow, and I might have had something to do with this, it became strip big Brain academy. I only had 4 pieces of clothing shorts, flip flops, shirt and underwear, so I was wearing a couch pretty fast. These girls are also obviously way smarter than me. Fast forward 20 minutes... we are having a threesome! Is the Wii social? HELL YES!

o_O

se.dude11 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    se.dude11 wrote: »
    My wife and I came to a hot female friend's house. After some wine we started playing Big Brain Academy. Somehow, and I might have had something to do with this, it became strip big Brain academy. I only had 4 pieces of clothing shorts, flip flops, shirt and underwear, so I was wearing a couch pretty fast. These girls are also obviously way smarter than me. Fast forward 20 minutes... we are having a threesome! Is the Wii social? HELL YES!

o_O

Dear Penthouse Forum. I never thought I'd be writing one of these letters, but...

Chance on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    se.dude11 wrote: »

o_O

Dear Penthouse Forum. I never thought I'd be writing one of these letters, but...

And thus it was dubbed "The Thwii-some"

I didn't regret reading this thread until two posts ago. Now: regret.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My boyfriend and I don't get to play too many games together, unfortunately. He doesn't like MMOs, so he won't play WoW or WAR or whatever with me, and our schedules differ so much that he's oftentimes asleep when I get home.

When we do get to game together, a lot of it ends up being one of us playing a single-player game and the other watching and providing moral support. Most recently he watched me go through NG2 - the bastard just picked up Chocobo's Dungeon for the Wii which I'm convinced is the cutest game in existence, so I'll probably end up watching him play that.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg