Options

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - OUT NOW! Or something.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Force, I'm watchin' the game, I need you to make me a sandwich."

"Actually honey I'm a little busy maintaining a delicate bala-"

*SMACK*

"Bitch! I said make me a God damn sandwich!"

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    "Force, I'm watchin' the game, I need you to make me a sandwich."

"Actually honey I'm a little busy maintaining a delicate bala-"

*SMACK*

"Bitch! I said make me a God damn sandwich!"

One of these days, Force... Bang! Zoom! Straight to the Forest Moon of Endor!

Houn on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    NH03 wrote: »
    Maybe some mention of the Gamestop return deal should go in the OP, if it's still valid?

If it has anything to do with returning popular games or dvds for minimal credit only exchangeable at gamestop, count me out.

Basically if you reserve it and pick it up, you have a full week to return it for 100% credit if you don't like it. It's such a bad idea for them to do it on a single-player game, imo.
    I don't see how that's a bad idea. I'm pretty sure the intention is

a. More incentive for lots of people to preorder, which makes them jizz all over themselves for obvious reasons.
    b. The preorder copies magically become used copies immediately after release, which they'll feed off of like parasites. "Oh man, I bought this used at gamestop for cheap and I can totally sell it back to them when I'm done so it's like even more cheap."
    c. They don't even need to stock new copies after release due to a and b.

Maybe I'm too paranoid about how shady they are, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Monger wrote: »
    Maybe some mention of the Gamestop return deal should go in the OP, if it's still valid?

If it has anything to do with returning popular games or dvds for minimal credit only exchangeable at gamestop, count me out.

Basically if you reserve it and pick it up, you have a full week to return it for 100% credit if you don't like it. It's such a bad idea for them to do it on a single-player game, imo.

a. More incentive for lots of people to preorder, which makes them jizz all over themselves for obvious reasons.
    b. The preorder copies magically become used copies immediately after release, which they'll feed off of like parasites. "Oh man, I bought this used at gamestop for cheap and I can totally sell it back to them when I'm done so it's like even more cheap."

Not really, as I understand it. They already paid for the New copy of the game. Buyer picked it up at Retail, returned it for full refund in store credit. Now, Gamestop has a copy of a game that they've made no money on, and they still bought it for normal price from their distributor. It'd doesn't magically become "used"; the reason they love used is because they buy games back for much, much cheaper than it would cost to get them from the distributors, so they're making an obscene profit off it.

Giving full store credit and restocking an item they already paid normal price to obtain doesn't help them in the slightest.

Houn on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Especially if the game in question is a 10-12 hour singleplayer experience. Do it for Halo or something where the brunt of the gameplay lies on Live, sure. But this?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Especially if the game in question is a 10-12 hour singleplayer experience. Do it for Halo or something where the brunt of the gameplay lies on Live, sure. But this?

You really can't complain.

I mean, I can, I live in California, but dude, Canadians, hop on his shit.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    As a longtime Star Wars nerd I'm going to break the mold here. Starkiller and all his related story don't do anything for me. In fact, the way his story pans out cheapens aspects of the early Rebellion in my eyes. That, and I think the character design is just retarded.

Wait how does it cheapen anything? I thought it explained very nicely what happened between RotS and ANH.

One of my concerns with FU when the story was first anounced was that it'd run roughshod over the earlier SW stuff. Any other star wars nerds want to take the bullet and look at the spoilers for that?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    As a longtime Star Wars nerd I'm going to break the mold here. Starkiller and all his related story don't do anything for me. In fact, the way his story pans out cheapens aspects of the early Rebellion in my eyes. That, and I think the character design is just retarded.

Wait how does it cheapen anything? I thought it explained very nicely what happened between RotS and ANH.

One of my concerns with FU when the story was first anounced was that it'd run roughshod over the earlier SW stuff. Any other star wars nerds want to take the bullet and look at the spoilers for that?

It doesn't.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haze did the same thing. Everybody found it highly suspicious. Turns out everybody was right.

Now FU is doing it. And I find it suspicious.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man if I lived in Canadia and didn't have an inexplicable need to hang onto every game I purchase I would totally take advantage of that.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tried the demo, proceeded to play through it several times, added this to my must have list. It scratches just about every Star Wars itch I could want it to, aside from space combat. Somehow I've been able to avoid being spoiled in the slightest, so I hope I can remain that way for a few more weeks.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »

Not really, as I understand it. They already paid for the New copy of the game. Buyer picked it up at Retail, returned it for full refund in store credit. Now, Gamestop has a copy of a game that they've made no money on, and they still bought it for normal price from their distributor. It'd doesn't magically become "used"; the reason they love used is because they buy games back for much, much cheaper than it would cost to get them from the distributors, so they're making an obscene profit off it.

Giving full store credit and restocking an item they already paid normal price to obtain doesn't help them in the slightest.
    That's where I assume they're being shady. Mostly, it's marketing to steal sales from other stores and get more preorders. Preorders measure demand for a title so they know where to keep new copies stocked. The more preorders they get across the board, the more accurate that measurement becomes. That makes them money by decreasing their shipping costs. If those preorder copies don't come back they've profited beyond what they made on the game. If they do come back, they have used copies in stock, which also fits their business plan, and more of those copies are going to come back in places with lots of preorders. High demand stores are more likely to be restocked without Gamestop having to do anything about it, saving them money on shipping and new purchases. Used trade is free money for them. I'm pretty sure a person is more likely to resell a used copy than a new one because they lose less money on the deal. Getting used copies in circulation sets them up for $Texas. Since the deal only lasts a week, those preorder copies are coming back to the store in the middle of release hype.

"Do you have any copies of Force Unleashed?"
    "Did you preorder?"
    "No."
    "PFFFFFFTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Seriously, though, used copies are over there."
    Then automated phone lady steps in a week later.

I'm no businessman, though, so actual numbers may be completely off from what I'm thinking.

Monger on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The demo is growing on me. It's a cool game, but the controls are only kind of working for me. Wielding these powers is fun, but I still don't feel entirely in control (yet). It plays eerily like Devil May Cry in that way. It begs you to mash buttons.

The QTE at the end of the demo starts way too quickly for me, so I always mess it up. It's really pissing me off, but I can live with it. Especially if I can give it a solid playthrough in seven days, and if I don't like it enough to justify $67, I'll just swap it for Mercenaries 2.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Am I the only one that feels like this is a Star Wars mod of Psi-Ops? The controls are almost identical (in fact I think Psi-Ops had more solid controls).

Am I the only one that played Psi-Ops?

Grammaton Cleric on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Second Sight was better than Psi Ops in my opinion. both were quite similar.

I just love the timesplitters aesthetic though

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I actually tried surfing in this. I miss psi-ops :(

I'm a go buy it.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I actually tried surfing in this. I miss psi-ops :(

I'm a go buy it.

Holy shit I forgot you could surf crates (planks, sheets of aluminum, anything) in Psi-Ops! Fuck I miss that game. And that section of the demo that was, essentially, an infinite enemy respawn playroom.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oh yes. I never even owned the game. That training room sufficed. Shame its not BC :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oh yes. I never even owned the game. That training room sufficed. Shame its not BC :(

I still have my Xbox Phatty... I just need to track down that copy of the OXM demo disc...
    Also -- BACK ON TOPIC, SORTA -- aside from a mild spoiler, anyone else read Wired's article about Leland Chee, the dude in charge of ALL STAR WARS CONTINUITY at Lucasarts?

A fantastic read about how every (canonical) facet of the universe is archived. Kinda makes me wish Marvel did that instead of squatting in retcon city.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    darthattondarthatton Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not sure if it belongs in the OP or not, but here's the promo soundtrack for the game(hosted by tracksounds.com, with permission from Lucasarts).

It's definitely worth a listen, but you'll have to open the link in IE or a browser other than Firefox, which wouldn't display the website's flash player.

darthatton on
    My somewhat generic Youtube channel, where you can nerd out to your heart's content.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I still have my Xbox Phatty... I just need to track down that copy of the OXM demo disc...
    Also -- BACK ON TOPIC, SORTA -- aside from a mild spoiler, anyone else read Wired's article about Leland Chee, the dude in charge of ALL STAR WARS CONTINUITY at Lucasarts?

A fantastic read about how every (canonical) facet of the universe is archived. Kinda makes me wish Marvel did that instead of squatting in retcon city.

Yeah pretty interesting, just not sure how the Force Unleashed logo being "a couple pixels" off has to do with cannon.

Guess this guy didn't have a job before Lucas did all that prequel retconning.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has anyone compared demos? I have played the PS3 one and liked it alot but my Xbox is being repaired so I can't compared the 2.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I gave it another shot, and the AT-ST battle 'clicked' this time. Didn't even try to fling stuff at it this time, just used force lightning, did the little minigame dance, and lo, cleft the dastardly walker in twain.

Though I still have some reservations, I'm definitely buying the game and playing through it at least once. Hopefully the higher difficulties aren't about running away and hiding while the Force Fuel Gauge refills. I'd like to think that a little evasion and use of the saber can keep the flow of combat moving, but that doesn't seem to work out too well even on normal difficulty.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Has anyone compared demos? I have played the PS3 one and liked it alot but my Xbox is being repaired so I can't compared the 2.

I've got about 20 minutes to go on the PSN one to download. Everything I've heard suggests it is exactly the same in every way.

So I guess it is control scheme really that is the decider. Maybe the PS3 one runs at a better resolution I dont really care my TV just upscales everything.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it referenced more the degree of anal retentiveness/OCD perfection of such a position.
    Also, despite the hate from Version One of the thread (and I was definitely guilty of it) there's something warm and fuzzy about killing Stormtroopers again. It's been a while.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Played the demo about 6 times on my PS3. It's really fun, and I can't wait to try the game when it comes out. Once you get a handle on the controls it really feels great obliterating everything in your path (using force push on the doors is pretty sweet). If there's one complaint I had about the controls it's that the lock-on feels a bit iffy. I can never quite get it to target what I want at all times.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From what I've played the Ps3 version seems to run slightly better, and the physics seem to work slightly better. for example, when I force push one of the doors open, the plexiglass from the lights above fragments, some of it staying in a sheet, like a busted car window, and some spilling onto the floor. I don't remember even seeing the glass, let alone it doing that on the 360 version, although someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I may just have missed it.

I'm one of those strange folk who prefers the dualshock to the 360 pad as well, so there's that.

But no, no major differences really.

EDIT: seems to me there's a little more lighting from saber hits as well. Like I said, just minor things. Or I could be misremembering.

Mattitude on
    I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know, lightsabering is pretty fun in this game even without dismembering...especially with the damage-increasing buff.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mattitude wrote: »
    From what I've played the Ps3 version seems to run slightly better, and the physics seem to work slightly better. for example, when I force push one of the doors open, the plexiglass from the lights above fragments, some of it staying in a sheet, like a busted car window, and some spilling onto the floor. I don't remember even seeing the glass, let alone it doing that on the 360 version, although someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I may just have missed it.

I'm one of those strange folk who prefers the dualshock to the 360 pad as well, so there's that.

But no, no major differences really.

EDIT: seems to me there's a little more lighting from saber hits as well. Like I said, just minor things. Or I could be misremembering.

The glass on the ceilings is there in the 360 version too. I accidentally broke it once when I busted open a door. I didn't see it do much very special as it was somehow very slightly behind the camera when it broke so I just saw some little pieces of glass fly on screen.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just something I missed then.
    Anyway, It looks like this is going to be a visual treat no matter what system you buy it on anyway, little details notwithstanding. Unless you buy it on Wii.

EDIT: damn, couldn't resist the Wii crack. Though I may at least borrow it on Wii if i can, just to see how well it works.

Mattitude on
    I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Or you have an SDTV.

:(

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If its the same I will probably pick up the 360 version then (prefer the pad) :) Well provided my Xbox makes it back to me :p

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    osietra wrote: »
    Not to be a pain, but surely the Force Unleashed is nearer the Buffy game done by The Collective with the difficulty taken out, rather than God of War.

Still the demo is a sweet nugget of gaming goodness.

Someone played that?!

Shut up.

Buffy was awesome.

Never got to play the sequel, though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Force grip is the greatest thing ever invented in a game. I just keep replaying the demo to be cruel to every person I come across. I probably spent a good minute on one guy alone. I'd grip him and spin him around like a wheel, and then I'd lift him up, let him fall, then force grip him again in mid-air. I even lifted him to the ceiling where he proceeded to GRAB IT and hold on for dear life. I didn't grab him again when he lost his grip. :)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only thing I don't like about the demo is that ragdolls, broken glass, etc. all fade away too quickly.

I'm still going to buy the absolute shit out of this game though.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    osietra wrote: »
    Not to be a pain, but surely the Force Unleashed is nearer the Buffy game done by The Collective with the difficulty taken out, rather than God of War.

Still the demo is a sweet nugget of gaming goodness.

Someone played that?!

Shut up.

Buffy was awesome.

Never got to play the sequel, though.

The sequel was bad. More characters, less awesome 3D brawler gameplay.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SO has everyone else found the health aura power up thingy in the hangar type area? I was so pleased with myself for getting up there. I still think they're mad for not allowing surfing.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Guys.

This game is now instant-buy.

Why, you ask? After all the "Meh" you were spewing, you say?

I discovered the awesome that is Force Gripping a Stormtrooper, then beating him repeatedly into his allies, until he Grabs one...

...Lovers to the end, staring into each other's black eyepieces, the look alone says everything, as I drop them, together, into a pit.

Heartwarming.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Guys.

This game is now instant-buy.

Why, you ask? After all the "Meh" you were spewing, you say?

I discovered the awesome that is Force Gripping a Stormtrooper, then beating him repeatedly into his allies, until he Grabs one...

...Lovers to the end, staring into each other's black eyepieces, the look alone says everything, as I drop them, together, into a pit.

Heartwarming.

DO that except instead of dropping them into a pit, simply dangle them in the path of an oncoming TIE Fighter. Love in the fast lane.

Big Classy on
This discussion has been closed.