As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: McCain picks Palin

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Palin really was an awful choice for his running mate. She's just a token pick to try and get the female vote. So if McCain wins the election and then dies of a heart attack in his term (olol he's old), we'll have her succeeding him as president. :^:
    And we'll get what we deserve. She'd likely get pressured to continue the Bush/McCain policies, and fuck things up even further. In 2012 we'll have another chance to correct the problem, this time without the onus of ovarian orthodoxy.
    Well, the odds of a 72 year old man dying in the next 4 years has to be pretty low.
    For some reason I felt compelled to look it up, and a 72 year old man has a life-expectancy of 12 more years with a 3-4% chance of dying each year.

Now add in five years of torture and a recurring history of skin cancer.

Cancer is probably standard for a 72 year old...

But then add in the stresses of being President. Most of those dudes are retired and hardly leave their house.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    The hell, Obama. Pass out smelling salts in the campaign store, my God. And you wonder why people make fun of your events?

o_O

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sal wrote: »
    Concept drawing of the Republican National Convention:

goppodiumsmall.jpg

Why is there a lensflare?

Edit: Hasn't the Alaskan government's spending actual increased because of increased oil money?

Why not? I mean, the button is right there in Photoshop. Everything is better with lens flare.

Is it just me, or is the red on black aisles/ seating very Fascist. Like Dwight Schrute is going to stand there and yell BLOOD ALONE TURNS THE WHEEL OF PROGRESS!

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm willing to bet the fact that his mom is 98 bumps him up a bit, and the cancer bumps him down a lot.

Also his dad apparently died at 70.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm willing to bet the fact that his mom is 98 bumps him up a bit, and the cancer bumps him down a lot.

Yea, he's male, so it's the male side that's more relevant.

Scooter on
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So even beyond the fact that she's one heartbeat away from the presidency, what about the job that she actually does perform, as the president of the senate? On one hand you have Biden, who's been there for 30 years and probably knows every senator personally and knows how to work the senate. On the other hand, you have Palin, who probably only knows her own senators and clueless as far as Washington politics goes. Hmmm, real great choice Mccain.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, I doubt the POW experience was a boon to his health as much as it was to his political career.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    DR. NO!

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

No.

The easiest way to think about it is add up your two parents age of death, divide in two, then add 3 years if you're female, and subtract 3 years if you're male. (As well as add however much life expectancy has improved over 40 years).

This is a gross oversimplification, because the cause of their death is much more important than simple age. But the point remains, the genes from your two parents are equally relevant, you will just probably end up closer in age to the parent of your gender due to the adding or subtracting 3.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

No.

The easiest way to think about it is add up your two parents age of death, divide in two, then add 3 years if you're female, and subtract 3 years if you're male. (As well as add however much life expectancy has improved over 40 years).

This is a gross oversimplification, because the cause of their death is much more important than simple age. But the point remains, the genes from your two parents are equally relevant, you will just probably end up closer in age to the parent of your gender due to the adding or subtracting 3.

I just did the math, and I've determined that John McCain is technically immortal, because his mom is still alive. No wonder he was so cocky in selecting Palin; there's no way he can die in at least a decade.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://harpers.org/archive/2008/08/hbc-90003486
    Palin has some pastors.
    During the 2008 campaign the beliefs of various candidates’ pastors has attracted a great deal of attention, especially the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, as well as John Hagee, who endorsed John McCain. So now seems a good time to examine the viewpoints of Sarah Palin’s two most recent pastors, as expressed in their sermons.

Since becoming governor in 2006, Palin has attended the Juneau Christian Center, where Mike Rose serves as senior pastor. Her previous pastor was David Pepper of the Church on the Rock in Palin’s hometown of Wasilla — a church that “was kind of a foundation for her.”

Of the two, Rose is certainly the more politically active, both locally and in the broader evangelical community (with ties to Hagee’s Christians United for Israel, for example). Pepper, it should be noted, is outspoken on the massacre of Native Americans, slavery and racism, all of which he terms “sins” that still cast a long shadow on minority communities.

Sebastian Jones found links to many sermons of Rose and Pepper. The excerpts below come from his review.

Mike Rose, senior pastor at Juneau Christian Center

From a April 27, 2008 sermon: “If you really want to know where you came from and happen to believe the word of God that you are not a descendant of a chimpanzee, this is what the word of God says. I believe this version.”

From a July 8, 2007 sermon: “Those that die without Christ have a horrible, horrible surprise.”

From a July 28, 2007 sermon: “Do you believe we’re in the last days? After listening to Newt Gingrich and the Prime Minister of Israel and a number of others at our gathering, I became convinced and I have been convinced for some time. We are living in the last days. These are incredible times to live in.”

David Pepper, senior pastor at Church on the Rock:

From an November 25, 2007 sermon: “The purpose for the United States is… to glorify God. This nation is a Christian nation.”

From a October 28, 2007 sermon: “God will not be mocked. I don’t care what the ACLU says. God will not be mocked. I don’t care what atheists say. God will not be mocked. I don’t care what’s going on in the nation today with so much horrific rebellion and sin and things that take place. God will not be mocked. Judgment day is coming. Where do you stand?”

From a October 28, 2007 sermon: “Just giving in a little bit is a disastrous thing…You can’t serve both man and God. It is one or the other.”

Christian conservatives like Gary Bauer, Tony Perkins and James Dobson have hailed McCain’s selection of Palin. Dobson, the head of Focus on the Family, vowed earlier this year to never support McCain. However, within hours of Palin’s addition to the GOP ticket, he had changed his tune, saying, he had “not been so excited about a political candidate since Ronald Reagan.” Given the viewpoints expressed by Palin’s pastors, it’s easy to understand why Christian conservatives are so excited.

Note: Many hours of Mike Rose’s sermons are available here. Numerous sermons of David Pepper’s can be reviewed here.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Palin really was an awful choice for his running mate. She's just a token pick to try and get the female vote. So if McCain wins the election and then dies of a heart attack in his term (olol he's old), we'll have her succeeding him as president. :^:
    And we'll get what we deserve. She'd likely get pressured to continue the Bush/McCain policies, and fuck things up even further. In 2012 we'll have another chance to correct the problem, this time without the onus of ovarian orthodoxy.
    Well, the odds of a 72 year old man dying in the next 4 years has to be pretty low.
    For some reason I felt compelled to look it up, and a 72 year old man has a life-expectancy of 12 more years with a 3-4% chance of dying each year.

Now add in five years of torture and a recurring history of skin cancer.

Don't forget the most stressful job on the planet.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Those just sound like regular pastors.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »
    Anyone thinking that Palin's children are going to be a huge benefit to her in the Veep debates? She just gave birth to a child with Downs Syndrome, and that's going to be a very volatile emotional trigger for the abortion part of the debates.

If it turns out that the child isn't actually hers, but her daughters, it will ruin her and the Republicans.

Otherwise, yes, that's the only thing you'll hear about.

Please can we lay this pregnancy shit to rest

Completely unfounded rumor with no substantial evidence to back it up

You might as well say "If it turns out she's actually an alien in disguise the Republicans will be ruined!"

Medopine on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    StarZapper wrote: »
    On the other hand, you have Palin, who probably only knows her own senators and clueless as far as Washington politics goes.

There's a good chance Ted Stevens won't be re-elected even if he isn't in jail by the time November 4th rolls around.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

You might as well say "If it turns out she's actually an alien in disguise the Republicans will be ruined!"

L-like a Mexican alien? Damn, we dun loss.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, anyone know where I can get the music that played after Obama's speech on day 4 of the DNC? Not the Brooks & Dunn, the one that sounds like an RPG medley, including "here comes the boss".

Delzhand on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »
    Anyone thinking that Palin's children are going to be a huge benefit to her in the Veep debates? She just gave birth to a child with Downs Syndrome, and that's going to be a very volatile emotional trigger for the abortion part of the debates.

If it turns out that the child isn't actually hers, but her daughters, it will ruin her and the Republicans.

Otherwise, yes, that's the only thing you'll hear about.

Seriously, there's plenty of shit to genuinely dislike the pick without going into Rovelike territory.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Next news headline: Is Palin An Alien?

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Normally, I wouldn't care. However, we know jack about most of her views. We don't even know if she is actually a creationist. The most we have to go on is some vague crap about teaching the controversy.

Edit: The Wikipedia page on her positions is really small.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Sarah_Palin

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Locust76 wrote: »

Next news headline: Is Palin An Alien?

If you remove the P and add an E...

HMMM

Medopine on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That seems like a "dublin" crowd more than a columbus group. A large number of older, suburban types. I like it.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Um, John?
    “I’m afraid, Chris, that we may have to look at that situation and we’ll try to monitor it.” He said he had been in touch with the governors of Louisiana, Alabama, Texas, Florida “I’ve been talking to all of them, but you know it just wouldn’t be appropriate to have a festive occasion while a near tragedy or a terrible challenge is presented in the form of a natural disaster, so we’re monitoring it from day to day and I’m saying a few prayers too.”
    img8fe1b660-1703-4c59-8fe0-05d1feb63aad.jpg

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

We don't even know if she is actually a creationist. The most we have to go on is some vague crap about teaching the controversy.

Anyone who wants to "Teach the controversy" is a creationist, because there is no controversy.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »

We don't even know if she is actually a creationist. The most we have to go on is some vague crap about teaching the controversy.

Anyone who wants to "Teach the controversy" is a creationist, because there is no controversy.

She could just be stupid.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Isn't that what he just said?

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Um, John?
    “I’m afraid, Chris, that we may have to look at that situation and we’ll try to monitor it.” He said he had been in touch with the governors of Louisiana, Alabama, Texas, Florida “I’ve been talking to all of them, but you know it just wouldn’t be appropriate to have a festive occasion while a near tragedy or a terrible challenge is presented in the form of a natural disaster, so we’re monitoring it from day to day and I’m saying a few prayers too.”

John McCain learns from his mistakes ITP

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Um, John?

John McCain learns from his mistakes ITP

If he was a democrat, he'd be a flip-flopper. :P

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

ITT

Medopine

tells us what we are allowed to talk about

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/30/121350/137/486/580223

Glaeal on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

Isn't that what he just said?

Oh, snap.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    goppodiumsmall.jpg

Edit: Hasn't the Alaskan government's spending actual increased because of increased oil money?

Why not? I mean, the button is right there in Photoshop. Everything is better with lens flare.

Is it just me, or is the red on black aisles/ seating very Fascist. Like Dwight Schrute is going to stand there and yell BLOOD ALONE TURNS THE WHEEL OF PROGRESS!

For one, it's at least possible those are supposed to be navy rather than black. The blue on the flag looks nearly black as well, I'm just sayin'. Also, that effect will be diminished greatly once people are in the seats.

EDIT: Still, I agree. Replace the US flag with something else, and it's basically a fascist paradise. Hell, given the last eight years you could probably just leave the flag there anyway.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think if this thread has taught us anything it's that creationists certainly don't hold the monopoly on sheer stupidity as this "omg, it's not her baby!!!!11!1" conspiracy theory illustrates quite well.

TalonSE on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you think it's stupid because it's irrelevant or have you looked at the evidence and dismissed it?

Hoz on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TalonSE wrote: »
    I think if this thread has taught us anything it's that creationists certainly don't hold the monopoly on sheer stupidity as this "omg, it's not her baby!!!!11!1" conspiracy theory illustrates quite well.

NO U

It proves that sarcasm does not exist on the internet, and most attempts to use it fail.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to say, the picture of a 7 months pregnant Palin looks... off?
    307-3504041.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpg

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Do you think it's stupid because it's irrelevant or have you looked at the evidence and dismissed it?

I can't even imagine someone pulling a stunt like that. It's straight out of a Soap Opera. Plus, what evidence I've seen is pretty much like evidence of flying saucers (although if you watch those forensic/crime reality shows you realize that people get convicted of murder all the time with not a lot of evidence).

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shouldn't there be pictures of Palin giving the speech where her water supposedly broke? If somebody could just find one then we could move on with our lives.

Talka on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some women honestly don't gain much weight during a pregnancy, to the point that it's easy to hide with looser clothing. I see no reason that Palin couldn't be seven months pregnant in that picture.

I mean, it's possible, but wasting any real time discussing without a lot more evidence than that is pretty idiotic.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is another proud day for women in US politics. *sigh*

EDIT: Put another way, this is only about two steps above the "ZOMG Obama is a secret Mooslim!" argument. And that's giving it a lot of credit, really.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    goppodiumsmall.jpg

For one, it's at least possible those are supposed to be navy rather than black. The blue on the flag looks nearly black as well, I'm just sayin'. Also, that effect will be diminished greatly once people are in the seats.

EDIT: Still, I agree. Replace the US flag with something else, and it's basically a fascist paradise. Hell, given the last eight years you could probably just leave the flag there anyway.

I like it a lot. I've always felt the GOP got the short end of the color stick, since red isn't as flexible a color, but the stage looks really nice. It's like a Hollywood opening red carpet, but everywhere.

Also, I'm sure the flag won't be there the whole time. When CNN did pre-convention reports from inside, there was this logo on the screen.

Lux on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Reported for awesome

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.