As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] is my Penis

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, my buddhism class just started so we are still mainly on the life of Buddha stuff and it's just like :zzz:

James, fair point. I often think to myself, hey, life isn't so bad, I could be starving to death in some third world country (where buddhism is practiced).

Fortunately, most Buddhists here don't really practice that part, but rather they make use of the postive, life-affirming stuff, and try to shrug off addictive behaviors which are rather rampant in our society.

Also I corrupted one from considering going abstinent to having threesomes. :oI was so proud.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    but i won't hesitate

no more, no more

it cannot wait

i'm yours

MikeMan on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hullo, chappies. I look like a fire engine.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice. Yeah, I'm hoping the class will pick up.

My teacher is an ex-catholic priest turned gay buddhist-christian, so there's some promise for excitement there at least.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    Girard agrees that Europe is immersed in what the Arabist of the Sorbonne, Rémi Brague, calls “metaphysical boredom”:

“His is a beautiful explanation, and it seems to me that the superiority of the Christian message each day becomes more visible. When it is most attacked, Christianity shines with greater truth. Being the negation of mythology, Christianity shines especially in the moment in which our world once again fills itself with sacrificial mythologies. I have always understood the ‘scandal’ of the Christian revelation in a radical way. In Christianity, rather than assuming the point of view of the crowd, we assume the view of the innocent victim. Thus Christianity deals with a complete reversal of the archaic scenario. And it brings about the exhaustion of violence.”

Girard talks about our obsession with sexuality:

“In the Gospels, there is nothing sexual, and this fact has been completely romanticized by contemporary Gnostics. Gnostics, as always, exclude categories of persons, and transform them into enemies. Christianity is the exact opposite of mythology and of Gnosticism. Today, a form of neo-paganism is being advanced. The greatest error of postmodern philosophy is to have thought that it could freely transform man into a mechanism for pleasure. From this pursuit of pleasure comes de-humanization, which begins with the false desire to prolong life’s pleasures by sacrificing the greatest goods.”

As might be expected by anyone who would write such a piece of drivel, that man has absolutely no conception of the history of christianity.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Podly, I'm afraid to ask you this, but have you read anything on Girard's scapegoat theories?

But of course.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just keep in mind that people tend to have a really hard time being objective about religions in general, especially if they have a whole other set of biases going for them, and that there are so many different versions of religions that anything true for one fraction of it may be absolutely unrelated to a different fraction.

Be really careful about narrowing things down too much or over-interpreting with your own biases.

--

Girard is one of the very few writers that I have actual, true, natural respect for. He is to me like Hawking is to science nerds who don't know enough to realize how flawed Hawking's ideas have been.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that people tend to have a really hard time being objective about religions in general, especially if they have a whole other set of biases going for them, and that there are so many different versions of religions that anything true for one fraction of it may be absolutely unrelated to a different fraction.

Be really careful about narrowing things down too much or over-interpreting with your own biases.

*nods* Yeah, I'm trying to go in with an open mind. I was raised christian, but I dropped that faith a long time ago. I'm just a very, very un-religiously minded person, but I've already found some things I like, and some things I don't. I just really want to get past the stories about the buddha's psychic powers and crap.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Buddhism has encountered incredible amounts of regional revision. In some places it's an atheist philosophy, other places... well, read Monkey/Journey to the West.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Seriously. "Christianity is the exact opposite of mythology and of Gnosticism." How could someone actually think that? Madness.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Podly, if you taught a lecture, I would attend.

Just sayin'.

Thanks, Inqui! You never know, my career path right now is that of a professor.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    As might be expected by anyone who would write such a piece of drivel, that man has absolutely no conception of the history of christianity.

And From whom did you learn this factical "history of christianity?"

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I just had the sudden urge to listen to "Standing Outside the Fire."

Oh god I love that song.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jason mraz's "plane" is a fucking great song

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    I need soothing vocals, stat.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seriously. "Christianity is the exact opposite of mythology and of Gnosticism." How could someone actually think that? Madness.

I think he's talking about the perspective it takes and not the religion itself.

James on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    James wrote: »

I think he's talking about the perspective it takes and not the religion itself.

No he's not. And his arguments are pretty sound and coherent.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008

And From whom did you learn this factical "history of christianity?"

I will assume "factical" is just a typo and not one of your made-up words.

In another context that could be a good question but considering who is asking it I am guessing it is merely an opening for a long winded and pointless tangent. It would be impossible for one person to be an expert on such a large subject.

But it requires no great expertise to see that either that man is just fucking around with definitions (I'll just define "mythology" to mean "not Christianity" and like magic they are now opposites!) or completely delusional. Look at the source material. The composition of the early church. How could someone read the Nag Hamadi texts and claim they are the "opposite" of christianity? Or make the claim there is no sexuality in the gospels? Not much certainly. But not "none".

Edit: Gah, I can't believe I am even wasting precious seconds thinking about this. I'm going for a run.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2008

No he's not. And his arguments are pretty sound and coherent.

He quite clearly says that Christianity takes the perspective of the victim and of persons, which makes it the opposite of Gnosticism. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

edit: I'm not arguing against his arguments.

James on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Neither
    It would be impossible for one person to be an expert on such a large subject.

So you are standing against your previous thesis?
    But it requires no great expertise to see that either that man is just fucking around with definitions (I'll just define "mythology" to mean "not Christianity" and like magic they are now opposites!) or completely delusional. Look at the source material. The composition of the early church. How could someone read the Nag Hamadi texts and claim they are the "opposite" of christianity? Or make the claim there is no sexuality in the gospels? Not much certainly. But not "none".

No. By mythology, he means the linguistic drive to reproduce itself through ethnocentrism. This, Girard argues, is why every culture has their own mythologies. It's why mythologies have to be unreal, because they have to be the functional core of culture/society. Christianity, on the other hand, does not seek to reproduce it's culture in violence, but rather assimilate everyone into its mythos so that they can be saved and there can be peace.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Neither

No. By mythology, he means the linguistic drive to reproduce itself through ethnocentrism. This, Girard argues, is why every culture has their own mythologies. It's why mythologies have to be unreal, because they have to be the functional core of culture/society. Christianity, on the other hand, does not seek to reproduce it's culture in violence, but rather assimilate everyone into its mythos so that they can be saved and there can be peace.

Historically that's a pretty bad explanation. Christianity assimilated and saved after killing everyone.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Christianity, on the other hand, does not seek to reproduce it's culture in violence, but rather assimilate everyone into its mythos so that they can be saved and there can be peace.

ahahahhahahahahhaha

oh jesus podly, you crack me up

hey everybody go to HA and help me out with my computron!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Neither

Historically that's a pretty bad explanation. Christianity assimilated and saved after killing everyone.

What is the timeperiod that we are using? The original christians thought that the world would end during their lifetime.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cat, I recommend newegg.com but I have no idea if they ship frugally to Australia.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well it would be nice if people would separate Christian theology from the history of the Catholic church, at least.

James on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ani DiFranco was on King of the Hill? Well I'll be hornswaggled.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What is the timeperiod that we are using? The original christians thought that the world would end during their lifetime.

Uh

its happening now. Want to maybe read up on the actions of orthodox christians in eastern europe and russia?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone else see this crazy shit when clicking on this thread?
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=68568

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

Uh

its happening now. Want to maybe read up on the actions of orthodox christians in eastern europe and russia?

Don't be retarded.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well it would be nice if people would separate Christian theology from the history of the Catholic church, at least.

Who wrote most of that theology may I ask?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh god my mother made mac and cheese with gorgonzola, asiago, mozzarella and parmesan.

So. Good.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone else see this crazy shit when clicking on this thread?
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=68568

What do you mean?

Perhaps you should stare more closely.

If you hear anyone chanting the names of Marduk, just ignore it. You will be beyond caring soon enough. By the way, how have your organs been lately?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh god my mother made mac and cheese with gorgonzola, asiago, mozzarella and parmesan.

So. Good.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Uh

Don't be retarded.
    Excuse me? There are plenty of documented instances of the local christians in those areas running other religions out of town on a rail. Peace and love my ass. And don't get me started on South East Asia. Christians are no more or less magically likely to adhere to non-violence than any other spiritual group, and you look like a complete idiot arguing otherwise.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Uh

Don't be retarded.
    Excuse me? There are plenty of documented instances of the local christians in those areas running other religions out of town on a rail. Peace and love my ass. And don't get me started on South East Asia. Christians are no more or less magically likely to adhere to non-violence than any other spiritual group, and you look like a complete idiot arguing otherwise.

You know full well that people use any ideologies to justify violence. Don't give me that crap.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone else unable to log into WoW?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Anyone else unable to log into WoW?

The day of reckoning comes!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    Hey guys, let's say, for hypotheticality's sake that I like the voice of that guy in Viva La Vida. I need more songs like that, but not necessarily by him.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.