Options

Indie Music: to 2008!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm kinda late to this party, but why have people been name-dropping the band Vampire Weekend like it's on fire? They're all right, but it's not like a musical revolution or anything.

Vampire Weekend was the "it" band like 6 months ago, or more even. It's a common thing in the world of indie music; the whole thing for many people is about being as indie and fresh as possible, so if you can say you liked a band before they even get their first EP out then you've got +20 to Street Cred or some shit, then once they have a couple EPs out (or god forbid and LP) then you can pronounce them to be sold out has-beens and move on to the next band nobody has heard of yet. It's a sick, twisted system, but the cream still usually rises to the top.

Also, that Walkmen album is one of my favourites. Was the first of theirs that I listened to, and it's so, so good.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I'm kinda late to this party, but why have people been name-dropping the band Vampire Weekend like it's on fire? They're all right, but it's not like a musical revolution or anything.

Vampire Weekend was the "it" band like 6 months ago, or more even. It's a common thing in the world of indie music; the whole thing for many people is about being as indie and fresh as possible, so if you can say you liked a band before they even get their first EP out then you've got +20 to Street Cred or some shit, then once they have a couple EPs out (or god forbid and LP) then you can pronounce them to be sold out has-beens and move on to the next band nobody has heard of yet. It's a sick, twisted system, but the cream still usually rises to the top.

Also, that Walkmen album is one of my favourites. Was the first of theirs that I listened to, and it's so, so good.

Yeah it's great.

And yeah, you hit the nail on the head, there. I for one don't count it as douchebaggery though. To me it's a game, to see if I'm good at spotting the trends of music and quality of a band before it hits the mainstream. I like to be able to name the bands that are playing on the radio and considered "new music". I triumphantly blurt out the song's title barely before it's begun to my annoyed friends.

"Oh yeah, Sigur Ros, man. Cool band there, been listenting to them for years, YEARS. Older stuff is better. Bloc Party! God why aren't they fucking playing 'So Here We Are'. Fucking DJ knows shit."

MindLib on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tell me

do you wear shades in doors

i have been known to

on occasion

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Get yourself some Ratatat.

This.

MindLib on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't love their schtick, but I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing some new Justice tracks

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    I don't love their schtick, but I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing some new Justice tracks

You are correct sir. As for Ratatat, sometimes I feel like I really enjoy them, other times, not so much.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    new justice!

glee

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Podly wrote: »

You are correct sir. As for Ratatat, sometimes I feel like I really enjoy them, other times, not so much.

At first I didn't really like LP3 when compared to Ratatat and Classics, but it eventually grew on me. Shempi and Falcon Jab are amazing.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MindLib wrote: »
    Anyone like The Walkmen?
    Yes.
    The new Walkmen album is amazing. It's probably their best, and it wasn't really discussed here.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah it's great.

And yeah, you hit the nail on the head, there. I for one don't count it as douchebaggery though. To me it's a game, to see if I'm good at spotting the trends of music and quality of a band before it hits the mainstream. I like to be able to name the bands that are playing on the radio and considered "new music". I triumphantly blurt out the song's title barely before it's begun to my annoyed friends.

"Oh yeah, Sigur Ros, man. Cool band there, been listenting to them for years, YEARS. Older stuff is better. Bloc Party! God why aren't they fucking playing 'So Here We Are'. Fucking DJ knows shit."
    I know you were just making a (sadly accurate) joke there, but I've been on a huge Sigur Ros kick these past few weeks and it's beginning to occur to me that they may have surpassed their former 'masterpiece' with their newest record. The whole 'older stuff is better' cliche is a lot more true to life than I wish it were, with lots of bands either getting crappier with age or the audience being too rooted in nostalgia to enjoy what may be a better album.
    It got me thinking about some of my favorite bands, and how rare it is for my favorite album of theirs to come out after I've gotten into them. Sigur Ros may have finally done that.
    Just a thought I had.
    Long story short Med Sud i Eyrum fucking dominates.

Snork on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So with the lack of muxtape, i have been turning to blip.fm for random music listenings. Anyone else on it? It's basically twitter but you attach a streaming song (no uploading) to it.

I don't like how it calculates the automatic favorite DJs, because I have hardly found anyone that has similar music tastes, but it seems like it has good potential.

Lux on
  • Options
    AlexanderAlexander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thread Challenge

Make me your ultimate mix tape so I can see some new songs.

12 tracks.

GO!

Alexander on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Snork wrote: »

Yeah it's great.

I know you were just making a (sadly accurate) joke there, but I've been on a huge Sigur Ros kick these past few weeks and it's beginning to occur to me that they may have surpassed their former 'masterpiece' with their newest record. The whole 'older stuff is better' cliche is a lot more true to life than I wish it were, with lots of bands either getting crappier with age or the audience being too rooted in nostalgia to enjoy what may be a better album.
    It got me thinking about some of my favorite bands, and how rare it is for my favorite album of theirs to come out after I've gotten into them. Sigur Ros may have finally done that.
    Just a thought I had.
    Long story short Med Sud i Eyrum fucking dominates.

Touche, sir, I actually haven't listened to it yet.

MindLib on
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know I'm probably out of the loop, but I really like Manchester Orchestra.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alexander wrote: »
    Thread Challenge

12 tracks.

GO!
    (if you've heard these well suck it up)
    "The Wizard Turns On"- Flaming Lips
    "Rough Hands" - Alexisonfire
    "Helix Nebula"- Anamanguchi
    "Mahgeetah"- My Morning Jacket
    "Lightning Blue Eyes"- The Secret Machines
    "Never Coming Back" The Early November
    "Things Go Wrong" - Brack Cantrell

and more but i have class gotta go

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    NumeroNumero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thread Challenge

12 tracks.

GO!

1) Beirut - "Cliquot"
    2) The Duchess and the Duke - "Reservoir Park"
    3) Bon Iver - "Creature Fear"
    4) Deer Tick - "Beautiful Girls (Sean Kingston Cover"
    5) The Fucking Champs - "Andres Segovia Interests Me"
    6) Fleet Foxes - "Mykonos"
    7) Menomena - "Muscle 'N Flow"
    8) Laura - "Is There No Help for the Widow's Son?"
    9) Wolf Parade - "Language City"
    10) Okkervil River - "Lost Coastlines"
    11) Sleater-Kinney - "Jumpers"
    12) Radiohead - "Jigsaw Falling Into Place"

Numero on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The current alternative/indie scene is sorely lacking any good "heavy" bands. And I'm not talking about bands that rock out every once in a while like Bloc Party or The Hold Steady, I mean heavy, like Trail of Dead, At the Drive-In heavy. Dammit, I just want a band I can headbang and holler along to. Seriously, the heaviest album I have from the last three years is either The Thermals' The Body, The Blood, The Machine or The White Stripes' Icky Thump, which are both okay but not nearly as ferocious as I'd like.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    eh, would you like against me!...?
    they are pretty awesome

dunno if its quite
    indie
    enough for ya

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thread Challenge

12 tracks.

GO!
    (if you've heard these well suck it up)
    "The Wizard Turns On"- Flaming Lips
    "Rough Hands" - Alexisonfire
    "Helix Nebula"- Anamanguchi
    "Mahgeetah"- My Morning Jacket
    "Lightning Blue Eyes"- The Secret Machines
    "Never Coming Back" The Early November
    "Things Go Wrong" - Brack Cantrell

and more but i have class gotta go

I just found that song on my Zune yesterday, and it was amazing.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I am so very excited about the Freezepop concert tomorrow night. It's the first concert I've been to in around five years.

That's one of the worst things I've ever heard.

I mostly mean the lack of live music attendance.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mykonos by Fleet Foxes is a fantastic song. You are wise to include it on your list.

Snork on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looks like Forget Cassettes is changing into a band called Elizabeth Grace. Don't know if anyone was a Cassettes can around here, but Beth Cameron and Doni Schroder are two crazy awesome musicians, so I'm pretty excited to see what they make with actual some heavier production- which is aparantly what they are doing in the new band (Cassettes first record was totally lo-fi, their 2nd was slightly more produced).

Greatnation on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am very late to this party, but I am listening to Liars They Were Wrong, So We Drowned and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm surprised I am enjoying a band this "mainstream".

Then again, I am the type of person who takes pride in enjoying an album Spin called "unlistenable".

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't think I'd call Liars mainstream at all.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't think I'd call Liars mainstream at all.
    Well that's why I put it in quotes. But they were reviewed by Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Spin, NME, Mojo, and Billboard, so they're "mainstream" for me. ;-)

But I know what you mean, they're never going to get any radio airplay if they keep that up, even if they are sort of a more accessible approach to Boredoms' early work.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok...so...it's not 12 songs. But I PROMISE you, something in this list you will like and fall in love with. Yes, I basically just went through my iTunes list and picked out things I thought people in this thread would like. Enjoy.

The Twelves- Works for Me
    Ace Enders- Rain
    Always the Runner- Speaking Of Paliminos
    Astronautalis- Two Years Before the Mast
    Bear vs. Shark- Busess No Busess
    Bloc Party- Flux (JFK Remix)
    The Carps- All The Thugs I know
    Caspian- Quivos
    Constants- Walking Dead In East Texas
    Cursive- The Casualty
    The Decemberist- The Tain
    Discover America- Green Eyes
    Do Make Say Think- Minmin
    Dredg- Ode To The Sun
    Drive Like Jehu- Caress
    Dustin Kensure- Blood & Wine
    Every Gentle Air- The Sower (Really any thing by these guys is fantastic)
    Explosions in the Sky- The Birth and Death of the Day
    The Faint- The Geeks Were Right
    Far- Mother Mary
    Foxhole- End of Dying
    Gatsbys American Dream- Margaritas And Cock
    Harvey Danger- War Buddies
    High and Driving- Shes So Lovely
    Hilmar Örn Hilmarson- Pretty Angels
    I Married My High School Sweetheart- For Keiko (It feels Like)
    Innerpartysystem- Don't Stop
    Intramural- Rocket
    J Dilla- Geek Down
    Junius- Hiding Knives (One of the best bands ever)
    Kill The Noise- Hey You (Le Castle Vaina Remix)
    The Kinsion- You Will Never Guess Who Died
    Limbeck- Honk + Wave
    Logh- Fell Into The Well
    M83- Let Men Burn Stars
    Mates of State- Ha Ha
    Metric- Monster Hospital
    Mew- Circuitry Of The Wolf
    mewithoutYou- In A Sweater Poorly Knit
    Mickey Factz- Rockstar Posers
    Minus The Bear- Drilling (P.O.S. Redo)
    Mogwai- Auto Rock
    Moth- I See Sound
    Mouth Of The Architect- Baobab
    Murder By Death- Killbot2000
    Onelinedrawing- Oh, Boys
    Pedro The Line- A Mind of Her Own
    Pelican- Sirius
    Planes Mistaken For Stars- Copper and Stars
    Portugal. The Man- AKA M80 The Wolf
    The Prize Fighter Inferno- The Going Price For Home
    Random- Sitges Savepoint
    Ratatat- Beanie Sigel & Dirt McGirt - When You Hear That (Remixes Vol 1)
    Refused- New Noise
    Russian Circles- Death Rides A Horse
    Sense Field- Burn
    Sigur Ros- Glósóli
    The Snake The Cross The Crown- Gates of Dis
    Soular- Take Me Away
    The Sounds Of Animals Fighting- The Heretic (Such a great song)
    Sparta- Cut Your Ribbon
    Steal Train- Blown Away
    Stop It!!- Amen and Boys
    The Stryder- Billy
    Sufjan Stevens- The Dress Looks Nice On You
    Telefon Tel Aviv- Fahrenheit Fair Enough
    Thrice- Child of Dust
    Thursday- Into the Blinding Light
    Tristeza- Aereoaviones
    U.N.K.L.E.- When Things Explode
    The Valley Arena- Paint it Red
    Waxwing- Place Called Houston
    Yaphet Kotto- Torn Pictures

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The current alternative/indie scene is sorely lacking any good "heavy" bands. And I'm not talking about bands that rock out every once in a while like Bloc Party or The Hold Steady, I mean heavy, like Trail of Dead, At the Drive-In heavy. Dammit, I just want a band I can headbang and holler along to. Seriously, the heaviest album I have from the last three years is either The Thermals' The Body, The Blood, The Machine or The White Stripes' Icky Thump, which are both okay but not nearly as ferocious as I'd like.

Love of Diagrams
    Mission of Burma
    Liars
    Boris
    Oxford Collapse (kind off; probably to the same level as The Thermals but more poppy)
    the new Stephen Malkmus + Jicks album (kind of; all the songs are a weird mix of hard prog and pavement)
    Retribution Gospel Choir (kind of; reconfigured version of Low that plays stoner metal)

And yeah, most of those artists have been around for awhile so I don't know if you'd count them, but they've all put out albums between 2006 and now.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A new Bloc Party single was introduced yesterday.
    Bloc Party - Talons
    I wish it were on the album coming out.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i got that stubbs the zombie soundtrack

oh my god, i love it

death cab for cutie's 'earth angel' is pretty fun

and flaming lips doing 'if only i had a brain'! thats magic

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Love of Diagrams
    Mission of Burma
    Liars
    Boris
    Oxford Collapse (kind off; probably to the same level as The Thermals but more poppy)
    the new Stephen Malkmus + Jicks album (kind of; all the songs are a weird mix of hard prog and pavement)
    Retribution Gospel Choir (kind of; reconfigured version of Low that plays stoner metal)

And yeah, most of those artists have been around for awhile so I don't know if you'd count them, but they've all put out albums between 2006 and now.

I'll check out Love of Diagrams and Mission of Burma, thanks for the recommendations. Liars are extremely hit or miss for me, and Boris is a little too metal/noise for my tastes. It's weird, I like heavy but metal and noise both turn me off completely.

I think what I really want is for ATD-I to come back and not suck, which is next to impossible.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Love of Diagrams
    Mission of Burma
    Liars
    Boris

I'll check out Love of Diagrams and Mission of Burma, thanks for the recommendations. Liars are extremely hit or miss for me, and Boris is a little too metal/noise for my tastes. It's weird, I like heavy but metal and noise both turn me off completely.

I think what I really want is for ATD-I to come back and not suck, which is next to impossible.

OK... heavy... let's see.

Have you tried Times New Viking, No Age, Comets on Fire, or Parts & Labor? Comets on Fire is especially heavy.

There's also the Constantines, A Place to Bury Strangers, Man Man, Future of the Left (also try McClusky, if you haven't), Crystal Antlers.

I can't think of any others right now.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Love of Diagrams
    Mission of Burma
    Liars
    Boris

They probably don't count as particularly "indie", but check out Gallows.

emericana on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anathallo's album "Luminous Luminescence in the Atlas Position" is pretty hard and amazing.

The first track in on last.fm right here if you want to listen.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    check out alexisonfire too

they are a bit screamo, but sooooooo gude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Ivt-ikYIk

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    I am very late to this party, but I am listening to Liars They Were Wrong, So We Drowned and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm surprised I am enjoying a band this "mainstream".

Then again, I am the type of person who takes pride in enjoying an album Spin called "unlistenable".
    What are they like? My friend described them to me as Animal Collective except with PCP instead of acid and weed, and Animal Collective is one of my favorite bands ever, so this could be good or bad.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here's a good little thread challenge that I've found often results in gratuitous amounts of awesome.

The question; What, to you, is the most beautiful song you've heard?

Mine:
    Elbow - Switching Off

MindLib on
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Probably this:
    Sparklehorse's Little Fat Baby
    The music video is kind of dumb.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XXD20DhV4c

or some beatles song

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    NumeroNumero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mykonos by Fleet Foxes is a fantastic song. You are wise to include it on your list.

How appropriate then that I secured my tickets for their upcoming show today. :lol:

Numero on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »

What are they like? My friend described them to me as Animal Collective except with PCP instead of acid and weed, and Animal Collective is one of my favorite bands ever, so this could be good or bad.
    I don't know much about Animal Collective or Liars other albums, but I think I can say that if you like this song, you'll like They Were Wrong So We Drowned
    Ignore the horrible fan video

Ghandi 2 on
This discussion has been closed.