Options

The American Presidency: A thread about the presidential elections? Maybe!

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Duffel wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    This is an interesting article, and if it is for real, it definitely shines a new light on McCain.
    As in, moving him from a kind of grinning cartoon villain into a more tragically complex Shakespearean villain.

I find it really depressing that it would not surprise me one bit that this was true.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    Has anyone else been catching these ads saying the bailout is both evil and all Obama's doing?

How much of the McCain campaign's message has been about the other candidate?

Its funny cuz that ad was done by the RNC and totally contradicted McCain

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Srsly guys she gave a fine answer to that question

Only in that staring blankly at the questioner, mouth agape at the profound stupidity of being asked whether or not the foundational precepts of basic biology should be taught in science class is, sadly, not an acceptable answer in American politics.

moniker on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Srsly guys she gave a fine answer to that question

Only in that staring blankly at the questioner, mouth agape at the profound stupidity of being asked whether or not the foundational precepts of basic biology should be taught in science class is, sadly, not an acceptable answer in American politics.

Staring blankly would just be a standard Palin response.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, my bad for saying that she didn't answer the question.
    God, my head hurts. Part of me wants to blame her for being so obfuscating in her answers, but it's probably that I'm just tired.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was trying to listen through the Couric/Palin interview to find the quote that was paraphrased into something Tina Fey said on SNL and then contrast that to the SNL video, but I just can't listen to the interview. I guess it's for the same reasons that I have trouble watching sitcoms.

watch?v=zeMypXCUWMw

In case you missed it, Picardathon.

moniker on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder why she changed her mind about that. Is the idea that we should teach intelligent design in Science Classes falling out of vogue, or was it never as popular as its supporters made it seem in the first place?

Where did she oppose teaching ID in science classes?
    And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

Here.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wonder why she changed her mind about that. Is the idea that we should teach intelligent design in Science Classes falling out of vogue, or was it never as popular as its supporters made it seem in the first place?

And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

Here.

ID people believe ID is science.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

Here.

She's saying that we shouldn't teach that the hand of God is visible in the natural world and the process of evolution in science class. That's pretty clearly a statement against teaching ID in science.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's called pandering dudes

They all do it

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time deciding which of those is the most damning. Seriously.

Is it "being gay is a choice"? That won't faze the base, but it might hurt her chances with indies.

Is it that -- Oh wait who am I kidding: SHE CAN'T NAME A NEWSPAPER.

Seriously. I mean, couldn't she just make something up? "Well, I pick up a Washington Post from time to time...". Who is going to seriously fact check that answer?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Please stop posting Palin quotes. Every time I see or read anything she says, I want to bash my skull into a wall.

Also, don't you just love the angry, lying McCain? He's blaming Obama and the Democrats for not getting the bailout bill passed. Except, as we know, the Democrats voted in favor of the plan, while the Republicans couldn't get their party together to vote the same. And it was their plan, too!

I need to stay away from this thread. We keep posting more and more reasons to be disgusted with McCain and Palin, and it's driving me insane. There was this article about Michelle Obama and likened her to JFK's wife. I didn't want to read it because it would only sting more if Obama lost. I've heard him likened to JFK from a number of sources, those who were close to Kennedy.

Dammit, if McCain wins, I'm moving to Canada. I hear Montreal is nice. Vancouver is rated the number one place in the world to live, but it's on that fault line.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time deciding which of those is the most damning. Seriously.

Is it "being gay is a choice"? That won't faze the base, but it might hurt her chances with indies.

Is it that -- Oh wait who am I kidding: SHE CAN'T NAME A NEWSPAPER.

Seriously. I mean, couldn't she just make something up? "Well, I pick up a Washington Post from time to time...". Who is going to seriously fact check that answer?

Or just pick a Juneau newspaper. She has to know the name of Wasilla's newspaper. Though not reading the newspaper would explain how she didn't know about the rape kit despite it being in the freaking paper.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like this line out of the interview: "Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America."

Also this:
    Couric: Is it man-made, though in your view?

Palin: You know there are - there are man's activities that can be contributed to the issues that we're dealing with now, these impacts. I'm not going to solely blame all of man's activities on changes in climate. Because the world's weather patterns are cyclical. And over history we have seen change there. But kind of doesn't matter at this point, as we debate what caused it. The point is: it's real; we need to do something about it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Cryztal_FlameCryztal_Flame Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    greenberg21.jpg

Cryztal_Flame on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was trying to listen through the Couric/Palin interview to find the quote that was paraphrased into something Tina Fey said on SNL and then contrast that to the SNL video, but I just can't listen to the interview. I guess it's for the same reasons that I have trouble watching sitcoms.

watch?v=zeMypXCUWMw

In case you missed it, Picardathon.

Thank you.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    I don't believe the Democrats can actually pull off a win. The party of self defeat is perpetual.

I'm trying to find reasons to like Palin.

So far, I've gotten up to: 1> She's good looking.

I might make "Not completely nuts about science and evolution" as my number 2.

Have you even looked at the news in the last two weeks?

That would be why I can only cite one reason.

EDIT

Oh, wait, you're talking about the Dems.

I've seen them blow a good thing plenty of times before. I vote. Some douche bag in Nebraska is gonna vote. The end.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't believe the Democrats can actually pull off a win. The party of self defeat is perpetual.

That would be why I can still cite one reason.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    greenberg21.jpg
    I believe that the only reason that we were positive during Clinton was because of unilateral transfer of funds in exchange for our actions in Kosovo from other NATO members.

I don't think that any president/congress have actually acted responsibly in a long time, but hopefully Obama will be less bad than the past.

duallain on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    greenberg21.jpg

Liberal politicians: Tax and spend.
    Conservative politicians: Don't tax, but spend anyway.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    duallain wrote: »

I don't think that any president/congress have actually acted responsibly in a long time, but hopefully Obama will be less bad than the past.

Were those transfers greater than the cost of actions in Kosovo?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    greenberg21.jpg[IMG][/img]
    I believe that the only reason that we were positive during Clinton was because of unilateral transfer of funds in exchange for our actions in Kosovo from other NATO members.

It was chiefly a result of Bush the Elder's solving of the S&L crisis setting things up to grow, and Clinton/Congress not fucking up the birth of the internet as we know it. Among other things.

Reagan deserves more of the debt in that picture, and H.W. deserves less of it.

moniker on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I recently downloaded the voter registration PDF from that Obama site... just got a call a few minutes ago inquiring about whether I'd a.) sent in my registration and b.) for whom I was voting. I told him I'd sent in my form and had already decided on my vote. He said,

"Do you feel uncomfortable discussing the choice you've made?"

"No, not at all. I'm placing my vote in support of Senator Obama."

"Okay, excellent, have a good night."

I wanted to say I was considering McCain because I'm lonely and it might have stimulated a conversation, if I'd played my cards right.

(I'm a lonely and pathetic human)

Organichu on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    in case this hasn't been posted yet

image001.jpg

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm fond of 'indebt and spend Republican' to counter the 'tax and spend liberal' meme.

moniker on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Richy wrote: »

That would be why I can still cite one reason.

Nice, very nice.

Also, christ. Democrats can do perfectly well at winning elections. Yes, even the current crop. 8 years is not an eternity in politics. Pessimism as a product of the past 8 years is counterproductive.

And hey, I'm a Rhode Islander. Know when the last time my vote counted was? 1776.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

EDIT

I've seen them blow a good thing plenty of times before. I vote. Some douche bag in Nebraska is gonna vote. The end.

Man come on. I was a guy who thought "the Republicans have some kind of magical win button and they're going to press it and they're going to win and there's nothing anybody can do about it". I thought the Republicans were somehow magic. Well, not really, but almost.

But after weeks and weeks of the Republican party absolutely imploding in on itself, I have to realize that Obama is absolutely going to win and the Republican party is going to detonate in a fantastic show of flaming carnage.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You believe that NATO members gave us some $3-4 hundred billion per year?

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

Here.

She's saying that we shouldn't teach that the hand of God is visible in the natural world and the process of evolution in science class. That's pretty clearly a statement against teaching ID in science.

Who said the Designer is God?

This is the obfuscation that they claim. They claim ID has nothing to do with religion... that being "proof" of God is just a happy coincidence. We have her on record supporting ID.

edit
    Next, Carey asked about teaching alternatives to evolution - such as creationism and intelligent design - in public schools.

HALCRO: “I think anything that is religious-based in, in concept, you know, really should, needs to be taught in the proper channel - philosophy, sociology.
    “I don’t think it should be taught as a science.”

KNOWLES:
    “… The answer is no. The reason why is we don’t want politics in our science. We actually want more science in our politics.
    "We don’t want to just teach all things because it may be politically correct. We want to teach the best science there is, and there is overwhelming evidence, there’s almost incontrovertible evidence that evolution is the science that, that we know.
    “And that’s what we should always teach, to never compromise on the principals just because it’s politically popular.”

PALIN: “Teach both. You know, don’t be afraid of information.
    “Healthy debate is so important and it’s so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both.
    "And, you know, I say this, too, as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject -- creationism and evolution.

“It’s been a healthy foundation for me. But don’t be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides.”

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And hey, I'm a Rhode Islander. Know when the last time my vote counted was? 1776.

I'm from Chicago, I don't know if my vote gets counted period.
    :P

moniker on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

EDIT

Your pessimism is based off of nothing but your own lack of involvement in the process and a desire to set your expectations low enough that you don't have to suffer the same "risks" as those of us who are actively trying to make things better.

Not only are you wrong, the rationale you have come up with for your wrongheadedness is itself also wrong.

Please find a way to stop being so horribly, horribly wrong.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also I hated how if I was pessimistic I would get reamed up the tush by Zimmy but if I was optimistic I would be seen as "complacent".

Whatever.

Edit: Hay Zimmy <3

Sarksus on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm fond of 'indebt and spend Republican' to counter the 'tax and spend liberal' meme.
    I think ElJeffe said it best a few years back. Something along the lines of:
    Democrats and Republicans went from big government vs. small government to big government vs. OH MY GOD the government just collapsed under its own gravitational pull and became a black hole!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Who said the Designer is God?

This is the obfuscation that they claim. They claim ID has nothing to do with religion... that being "proof" of God is just a happy coincidence. We have her on record supporting ID.

Alright, I suppose she could still rationalize supporting it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Also I hated how if I was pessimistic I would get reamed up the tush by Zimmy but if I was optimistic I would be seen as "complacent".

Whatever.

I cause rectal hemorrhaging because I love.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    zakkiel wrote: »
    You believe that NATO members gave us some $3-4 hundred billion per year?
    I believe it tipped the scales. I'm looking for more information on it at the moment, but it's only tangentially related to this thread so it may be time to cease this discussion.

duallain on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Whatever.

Me and my bowels have seen the light!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Whatever.

Me and my bowels have seen the light!

My bowels and I.

Don't make me get the truncheon.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/palin-seeks-ser.html
    Palin was widely criticized for a series of interviews with CBS’ Katie Couric that aired last week, including by former conservative supporters who said she was unprepared and presented herself poorly on critical issues such as the economy and foreign policy. Palin took time out from her debate preparation this afternoon to tape an interview with conservative blogger and radio host Hugh Hewitt, in which she blasted the media’s treatment of her.

“I have a degree in journalism also, so it surprises me that so much has changed since I received my education in journalistic ethics all those years ago. But I’m not going to pick a fight with those who buy ink by the barrelful. I’m going to take those shots and those pop quizzes and just say that’s okay, those are good testing grounds,” Palin told Hewitt. “It makes somebody be even clearer and more articulate in their positions. So really I don’t fight it. I invite it.”
    ...you just said that journalists are unethical nowadays...

Couscous on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Nah, both of those aren't nearly catchy enough. "Borrow and splurge."

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.