As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles hype thread - Very, very simply one of the best games this year

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, what?
    I don't see any demo for this, where are you guys getting a demo?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    its on Qore in the US for whatever retarded reason. set up a UK account (its free and intensely easy) and download it from their store.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yeah what he said

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Edit: nevermind!

TheStig on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TheStig wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong, I set up an account as UK but still no demo...

Maybe you are doing something wrong, but just in case here's the basic rundown:

In the far-left of the XMB, where your user name is, there's an option like "create new user". Do that.

Then, sign in to this new user name. Now, with this new user, you have to sign up for a new PSN account (you'll need an email address that's separate from your original).

When you sign up for the PSN account with the new user, just tell it you live in London. Or at least that's what helped the dude who was havin' trouble and sent me some PSN messages last night. Hope you get your mitts on it!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also use google maps to find a london address and get a london zip code.

the same process works for setting up a Japanese account, except everything’s in Japanese so it’s harder. There are handy guides that tell you exactly what to put where.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Or you can just enter gibberish, because it doesn't matter what you put in those boxes unless you want to set up your credit card info.

It doesn't have to be a real email address, either.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah i just put in giberish.
    For some reason the UK account I made on the site still knew I was US but when I made one on the system it worked fine.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    w00t, enjoy!

Chance on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I checked out this demo with a friend of mine the other day, and we were pretty impressed. I sort of wish that this wasn't coming out during the massive fall title deluge, as I feel like it's going to be overlooked.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    I checked out this demo with a friend of mine the other day, and we were pretty impressed. I sort of wish that this wasn't coming out during the massive fall title deluge, as I feel like it's going to be overlooked.

The release date is rather unfortunate, and that's pretty much why we've been driving the hype machine so hard. We don't want to see a game that's THIS GOOD get overlooked. That, plus the utterly asinine decision to make this an exclusive to Qore means even fewer will get to try this unless we get the word out.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The 1UP show had a special on this ages ago. The guy reviewing it seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. I have been enamored with the visual style ever since.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The 1UP show had a special on this ages ago. The guy reviewing it seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. I have been enamored with the visual style ever since.

I didn't mind the episodes of the 1up show that I've seen, but they don't play very well on my peice-of-crap PC - maybe I'll look it up, now that the PS3's browser finally supports Flash 9.

Also: has anyone tried clearing every enemy in the skirmish (aside from the tank) with Marina? Once I finish Dead Space, I'm totally gonna' try that. Just Marina and Herbert, runnin' around poppn' heads.

Chance on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys have convinced me to make this my first ps3 game. I will go preorder it when I pick up Fable II.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darksteel wrote: »
    Holy shit, this game gets better every time I search videos for it. Apparently, in between battles I would assume, there is even a "research and development" area you can access in the menu which allows you to develop better weapons for your infantry and vehicles, like X-COM! The tech tree even has branching paths for specialization, I think.

Even more, there's an option to train your troops with a cost. My minimal knowledge of kanji just about failed me at this point, but I did read that training your "totsugeki hei" (assault infantry) will increase their "potential", whatever that means.

Link to the video for those who have accounts: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4920362

Your characters don't level up and gain experience individually. Instead, you spend the exp you get in battle to level up the class (scout, lancer, etc), and all characters of that class will get boosted. And I think that also unlocks new potentials in those characters.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    You guys have convinced me to make this my first ps3 game. I will go preorder it when I pick up Fable II.

Success!
    Nine hundred thousand, nine hundred and ninety-four to go!
    I mean, why not aim high, right?

Chance on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been showing this to everyone at school. At least 2 people will be getting it.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If this game bombed in US I going to cry while playing Valkyria Chronicles, hopefully DualShock 3 is water proof... its going to be a lot of tears.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On your recommendations I just tried to download the demo. Got to 6%, and hit an 8001000A error. Now I can't connect with the PS3 at all.

Annoyed. :(

Edit: Seems to have fixed itself. Demo, here I come! ( :winky: )

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    brynstar wrote: »

The release date is rather unfortunate, and that's pretty much why we've been driving the hype machine so hard. We don't want to see a game that's THIS GOOD get overlooked. That, plus the utterly asinine decision to make this an exclusive to Qore means even fewer will get to try this unless we get the word out.

Yeah, and I very much appreciate that hype machine. It's what ultimately got me to check out the demo.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    On your recommendations I just tried to download the demo. Got to 6%, and hit an 8001000A error. Now I can't connect with the PS3 at all.

Annoyed. :(

I too got that error a little while ago - just managed to log back on like 10 mins ago, though. Don't give up!

You know you're crazy about a game when:
    After playing (the pretty fucking awesome) Dead Space all night, instead of going back for that next chapter, you play an RPG's demo for the thirtieth time.

I really need to lay off this demo... I don't want to get all Valkyria'd out before November. At least I got LBP to take my mind off it next week...

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The demo didn't really do it for me, my reasons may sound like this is a bunch of nit picking to you guys though. I don't really like Japanese style games with a few exceptions so I was really looking for some solid, in depth and or innovative strategy game play, it just wasn't there. I know it's just 1 demo level but it seemed like it would only continue to be the same.

I have been playing strategy and fps games forever, in addition to that I was infantry for 3 years so I like to think I know a few things.

1. I didn't like how the cover worked. No head shots when someone's head is popping out over sand bags? Really? Also everything couldn't be used as cover, I ran circles around a rock trying to crouch behind it but it wouldn't go.
    2. Other than being able to crouch behind cover you can't alter your unit's position, there is no way to low crawl to a position.
    3. I didn't really test this much but hitting a tank from the side with a tank shell had the same effect as hitting it head on.
    4. I shot a tank shell at some guy behind some sand bags, the sandbags disappeared and he was left unharmed.

Other silly stuff involving the level design. You start with your forces about 20 meters from the enemy and their tank, well in firing range of the tank and nearly all their forces, it just seemed silly. It's like both forces saw each other then without firing a single shot ran to occupy the cluster fuck sandbags walls that were littering the hill side for no reason at all. The sandbag placement all over the map seemed silly, random sandbag walls placed in nonsensical positions in the middle of nowhere, it seemed like the only motivation for putting a sandbag there was because it happened to be on the out range of my unit's movement, nothing to do with actual defensive positions. Silly.

While the style of the graphics is ok the game doesn't really look that good, everything has this really flat lighting. If you're going to take the easy way out with a cell shaded/cartoon style, in my opinion it has to look really good.

My other complaints involve stuff like characters with annoying voices randomly shouting stupid things, but that's really just a part of Japanese game design, some people like it, I don't.

So yeah, there are plenty of innovations that have been made in both FPS and turn based strategy games that were just ignored and I find that to be strange. That in addition to the level designer's total lack of understanding of how a defensive position looks just kinda ruined it all for me.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    :shock:

Well, I suppose being infantry does give you a unique perspective on things. Still, though: :shock:

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »

:winky:
    See you in LBP :P

Really it had more to do with my years and years and years of playing nearly every turn based strategy game for the pc. Ones that were great and innovative.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

:winky:
    See you in LBP :P

Damn right.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The demo didn't really do it for me, my reasons may sound like this is a bunch of nit picking to you guys though. I don't really like Japanese style games ...

This is the problem right here.

Also I am assuming you did not see any promotional material containing the generously proportioned lady with a blue aura who shoots blue energy beams out of a giant magical drill-looking lance thing.

When people are shooting laser beams and healing themselves with magic potions you should probably not expect a whole hell of a lot of realism out of the game. Also:
    While the style of the graphics is ok the game doesn't really look that good, everything has this really flat lighting. If you're going to take the easy way out with a cell shaded/cartoon style, in my opinion it has to look really good.

CEL SHADING IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT GODDAMMIT!

They still have to make the model like any other game, they still have to make the textures (or else everything would just be a flat colour) and they have to (program?) that sketchy canvas type filter that you see on top of everything.

*fist shake*

Maybe I'm just a little touchy about this because I'm doing my own cel shaded project and also I'm sick and tired of 'hurf durf brown grey gritty realism wrinkles and sweat grr'.

Everything keeps trying to look hyper realistic but the games with the best visual styles are the ones who say 'fuck you, we are video games and we are going to do something wonderful and fantastical and memorable' (Okami, LBP, Valkyria Chronicles and I would also argue Ratchet and Clank Future, just to name a few)

Really the only game so far this gen to rival Valkyria Chronicles's style is Prince of Persia (which looks fuckawesome) but I think VC has more charm.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, I won't like a game just because it's Japanese style as some people would. It's lacking in design and the fact that it's very Japanese allows some people to over look this.

Ok, not all cell shading is easy, okami was awesome and I'm sure it took a lot of effort. Take a look at the lighting effects in Valk... where are they? Is it always high noon in Valkyria land?

TheStig on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    *snip*

Dude, seriously, I understand the way you feel. I've played Close Combat and Combat Mission so I'm really familiar with the type of PC games you're talking about.

You gotta understand, this is the first time (that I know of) of a Japanese style game tackling the whole fields of fire concept. I'm miffed about the lack of some features as well. It doesn't model unit psychology (no suppression or pinning effects for example), and there are no benefits for attacking a tank's rear armor, or waiting for it to crest a rise to hit the magazine or running gear, but even without these features, it is still a pretty good game.

I can understand why they did it because this is the first time they did a tactical RPG in such a style. They don't want to overload the Japanese audience, or it'll end up being too niche. Maybe, hopefully, they'll put it in future releases, but for now I'm glad they're looking to Western tactical game styles at all. Also, you also gotta understand this is a pretty fantastical take on WWII. There's a lady in the trailer that blocks tank shells with a goddamn lance for chrissakes. I think we can allow some acceptable breaks from reality.

As for the map design, I haven't played the demo so I can't judge, but again, the first time, so I can forgive them. I really don't expect them to make Close Combat: The Japanese Edition the first time round.

Give it a chance. I think it has great potential for deeper, more satisfying games later on in the franchise (hopefully), so I will support them with my money for now. Plus, it's marrying it with a really fresh and new aesthetic and that always gets super plus points in my book.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ok, not all cell shading is easy, okami was awesome and I'm sure it took a lot of effort. Take a look at the lighting effects in Valk... where are they? Is it always high noon in Valkyria land?

While I'm not about to rabidly defend it (though I can certainly appreciate Reznik's vigor!), one thing I can point out is that the lighting in the demo seemed constant. I've seen significant lighting changes in cutscenes of the full version, and they actually look gorgeous.

I'll admit, I don't play RPGs all that much - and maybe that's why Valky is so incredibly appealing to me. I find RPGs incredibly boring, for the most part - not the stories. I love the stories - I even was rather enjoying FFXII but the damned combat system was just... uninteresting to me.

And that's why Valkyria blew me away. I'd always known it was pretty (which, I suppose, is subjective), but I'd never played a battle in an RPG that was so much fun.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    (small ps3 text field = 2 posts)

And after playing through that skirmish twenty or thirty times and still having fun with it and noticing little things, I'm still all about this game comin' out on the 4th. But again - I don't have your breadth and depth of RPG experience.

I may not know RPGs, but I know what I hate. And I don't hate this.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Take a look at the lighting effects in Valk... where are they? Is it always high noon in Valkyria land?

Well... the demo takes place during the day. If that level is during the daytime then there's really no room for a bunch of fancy effects. There's not really anything to say until the game comes out.

I'm pretty sure I've seen clips in trailers of dusk/dawn battles, though. Or maybe I'm just imagining it, I'll have to watch the trailers again.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well yea it's just one level which is why I didn't really want to stress the whole lighting thing. I have 1 game, GTA4 (2 counting LBP) on the PS3. Both of them I thought had very good graphics, LBP mostly. I felt like I was playing a PS2 game with Valk. As for the whole "it's their first strat game" thing, I can understand that, I just think my money is worth more than that.

TheStig on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Who cares about the graphics?

I just shelled out cash to play x-com ufo defense for christ's sake!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Eh, that's not his only beef.

Chance on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Eh, that's not his only beef.
    I think his main problems are still that a. he doesn't like cell shading and b. he wants a straight up turn based tactical game, not an SRPG with slightly more tactics than normal in SRPGS
    A. is a valid opinion, although I still think anyone who doesn't like the graphics has no soul. B. is not so much, its more like that pa comic where the guy complains about the dog not meowing
    edit:20060905.jpg

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    X-com is X-com and will always be worth paying for. Also isn't it like $5 now while this is like $60? I'm sure if you're not a big time strategy gamer and like the style you can have a lot of fun with it, just saying it doesn't work for me.

Edit:
    Yes the dog is not meowing.
    I just wanted to offer a bit of contrast to the 9 pages of orgasm that this thread was, perhaps someone who has my tastes will read it and save himself some money. I thought Wind Waker looked awesome, that was cell shaded, I also liked FFT (not A!) that was an srpg. I also like advanced wars a lot.

edit2: I like the way the characters look a lot, It really looks like they spent little to no time on everything else though.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Anyway, I found that 1up show that talks about Valkyria - its date is 05/09/08 if anyone wants to check it out. The VC stuff is like the first ten minutes of the show, so you don't have to wade through a bunch of other crap.

edit : and I agree with Stig on one thing - not everybody has to like it.

Chance on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyway, I found that 1up show that talks about Valkyria - its date is 05/09/08 if anyone wants to check it out. The VC stuff is like the first ten minutes of the show, so you don't have to wade through a bunch of other crap.

edit : and I agree with Stig on one thing - not everybody has to like it.

True, and for sure not everyone will. Games like this have a harder time finding an audience because they don't have a clear, well-defined genre. Valkyria Chronicles has elements of Japanese RPGs, Western RPGs, Tacitcal combat games and regular TPSes.

It sounds like Stig you came into this expecting another Brother in Arms game. Sorry if you were misinformed, but this is certainly not the case. VC is an RPG first and foremost, so it follows many of the standard RPG conventions while adding a more western RPG tactical battle system with a smattering of Third-Person shooter for flavor.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stole a sig.

Also, I want one of those artbooks. D:

Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I guess I've got to pre-order this and Fallout when I go pick up RB2 and LBP. Seems like a lot of stuff is coming out these days.

PeekingDuck on