As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    why is everyone assuming that
    veranke is dead? what i took away from that exchange was she was put down in the fight, what's his nuts saw her lying there, assumed she was dead and initiated the fuck everyone plan.

i'd be interested in finding out if bullseye was aiming hank skrull or if he really was aiming for spider-man.

Angry on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    She looked pretty dead to me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    why is everyone assuming that
    veranke is dead? what i took away from that exchange was she was put down in the fight, what's his nuts saw her lying there, assumed she was dead and initiated the fuck everyone plan.

i'd be interested in finding out if bullseye was aiming hank skrull or if he really was aiming for spider-man.

In thunderbolts they have a very similar scene, but both Daredevil and Spider-man are in the cross hairs.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    In thunderbolts they have a very similar scene, but both Daredevil and Spider-man are in the cross hairs.

Surely a coincidence ... that's no reason to go and second-guess making Norman and his boys the new ruling elite of SHIELD as they sit at the President's right hand.

(Curse you, spider-man. NEXT TIME!)

desc on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, if that happens Spidey is so fucked.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I missed yesterday and just picked up my books today. Read SI 7 first. Man I really enjoyed it, I really don't get why people think it's "failing".
    Jessica going to help was awesome. As was her and Luke's small interaction.

Kate getting hurt made me gasp a little but I loved the idea that Clint is watching her back and then his picking up his bow was AWESOME. Seriously people if you haven't go back and read the Hawkeye issue of Young Avengers Presents. It really adds a lot to those few panels.

Wolverine heading straight for Jessica was cool, totally in character.

Thor and Ares were good as well. Although why does Bendis have him talking with "thees and thous"?

Fury and Osborn's little interaction was great as well. Also I liked Fury telling his team to "save the rubber man" was pretty funny.

All in all a great issue and I'm really looking forward to #8 to see how it ends.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It was cool to see Stonewall geeking out over the fact that he was meeting Mr. Fantastic in the middle of a huge battle

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I assumed the spidey sense would have gone off if he was the target

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    He was in a Skrull melee. His sense should have been blasting off the charts.
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So I missed yesterday and just picked up my books today. Read SI 7 first. Man I really enjoyed it, I really don't get why people think it's "failing".

Some people just don't like nice things.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    I assumed the spidey sense would have gone off if he was the target

I assumed his spidey sense was why he moved.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I prefer to think that everyone is chipping in, even Bullseye *shrug*

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thor and Ares were good as well. Although why does Bendis have him talking with "thees and thous"?

im glad im not the only one who noticed. i wanted to see a plastered green hammer but got distracted by him talking grossly out of character as if 1990's Stan Lee was doing the dialogue.

still though, in every tie-in, mention and panel of the thunder/lighting bolt in the park, it never fails to make the voice inside my head scream "YOU GUYS ARE FUCKED NOW!"

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    how Thor talks is entirely dependent on the writer

you'd think people would realize that by now

and personally for this kind of story and the impact Thor's presence should have for it, I think it works great.

I mean ULTRON I WOULD HAVE WORDS WITH THEE is fucking classic for a reason

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it was waiting for Thor to take on
    Skrull Galactus
    who turned out to be a total pussy.
    and for a someone that size...thats a lot of pussy.

delphinus on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I prefer to think that everyone is chipping in, even Bullseye *shrug*

Heh, that was pretty funny. I liked that it was ambiguous whether he was trying to kill skrulls or whether he was actually aiming at Spider-Man personally.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    Rubber SledRubber Sled Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I die a little more inside with every second that passes with Clint Barton in the Ronin costume...*sigh*

And to whoever responded to my "Skrulls seem to easy to kill" post: That's not what I meant. I know that they aren't all invulnerable, but I'd think bullets, arrow, and knives should pose very little threat to someone that can rearrange their molecules or whatever...

Unless the arrows explode. Heh heh...

Rubber Sled on
    "You know chicks who will do a free striptease just for gettin' to go on a car ride?"
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Doesn't mean they can't be taken by surprise, or that they have the ability to shift things so instantaneously that a tiny chunk of metal moving very fast (i.e. a bullet) isn't going to burst their goo-bladder before they realise they should have moved it into their ass for safe keeping.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I die a little more inside with every second that passes with Clint Barton in the Ronin costume...*sigh*

And to whoever responded to my "Skrulls seem to easy to kill" post: That's not what I meant. I know that they aren't all invulnerable, but I'd think bullets, arrow, and knives should pose very little threat to someone that can rearrange their molecules or whatever...

Unless the arrows explode. Heh heh...

Yeah the have to see that sort of thing coming though.

I mean in the Illumnati issue where they fight the Skrull Black Bolt, Namor kills him by "distracting" him (and by distracting, I mean he imaples him on a giant metal spike) and then suddenly snapping his neck before he can react to it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I win, and isn't it the other way round with Namor (distracting neck-snapping followed by fatal impaling?)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

But... I like Kate Bishop as Hawkeye :(

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I win, and isn't it the other way round with Namor (distracting neck-snapping followed by fatal impaling?)

oh yeah I think you're right

either way though!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm sorry, but there is only ONE Hawkeye. Not saying she can't stick around, though...

Point taken on the Skrull anatomy issue, guys...I guess I just always assumed that a shapeshifter's body was more...spongy...than a normal body.

edit: Like, if you punched one really hard in the face there would just be a big smooshy fist mark there...

Rubber Sled on
    "You know chicks who will do a free striptease just for gettin' to go on a car ride?"
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I do agree that the story probably would have been better received as a standard Avengers story and not a company wide crossover event but that's what sells nowadays.[/SPOILER]

I disagree. I like that this world invasion actually feels worldwide. Since most of the comics I read have had some sort of tie in, it feels like everyone has had to drop whatever other dramas they were facing and go kick some Skrull arse. I don't think the event would have had nearly as much impact, for me at least, if it had been confined to one title.

Also, it's pretty clear from the solicits that there are a fair few changes to a number of titles as a result of the invasion. Even Captain Britain lost a character to the invasion. This isn't just supposed to be one big event. It's supposed to have an impact on how everything works from now on. Since even the pretty poor Civil War event had some really interesting fallout, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next in the marvel universe. I know it's mostly avenger related books that will change immediately, but I wouldn't be nearly so interested in the secret invasion if I didn't think it was going to have lasting consequences for other titles too.

I'm sorry, but there is only ONE Hawkeye. Not saying she can't stick around, though...

But... but she's a good Hawkeye! :(

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You and me both. I don't get why there couldn't be two Hawkeyes. Hell we have 9million Green Lanterns running around and 3 Flashes and 2 Wildcats. I don't think 2 Hawkeyes really matter all that much.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    But... but she's a good Hawkeye! :(

I'll compromise: I don't care if Kate Bishop keeps the name Hawkeye as long as Clint Barton becomes Hawkeye again.

Ronin in general...ESPECIALLY Clint Barton as Ronin is just...ugh. Fucking stupid.

Rubber Sled on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You and me both. I don't get why there couldn't be two Hawkeyes. Hell we have 9million Green Lanterns running around and 3 Flashes and 2 Wildcats. I don't think 2 Hawkeyes really matter all that much.

And two Wildcats! Two Hawkeyes sounds like a plan.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Just because DC has no imagination, don't drag Marvel down with it!

I decree that Kate goes back to Hawkingbird, the best superhero name ever.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Just because DC has no imagination, don't drag Marvel down with it!

Gah, Hawkingbird was so bad.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

But she hates that name!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You know, I wouldn't mind if she took the name Mockingbird, in honor of Clint's dead, alive but really a skrull, dead again wife...

Rubber Sled on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    But but... it was funny :(

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This has made me decided to re-re-read my Oversized YA trade again

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You know, I've been waiting for some bright spark in the Initiative to give someone the codename Mockingbird, just to see Clint's reaction. It seems like the kind of thing that could happen, unless Iron Man approves all the codenames personally. He would know better.

Kate as Mockingbird has a certain appeal, and it would be a huge vote of confidence from Clint, but at the end of the day I really like her as a new Hawkeye. I vote she gets to keep the title.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You know, I've been waiting for some bright spark in the Initiative to give someone the codename Mockingbird, just to see Clint's reaction. It seems like the kind of thing that could happen, unless Iron Man approves all the codenames personally. He would know better.

Kate as Mockingbird has a certain appeal, and it would be a huge vote of confidence from Clint, but at the end of the day I really like her as a new Hawkeye. I vote she gets to keep the title.

Hear, Hear!

smokmnky on
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm so excited for Norman to become Director of SHIELD or president or whatever. He's so unfit to be in any position of power and nobody realizes it. It's gonna be awesome. I want him to forget to take his meds while he's president and go Green Goblin all over the White House.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nabob wrote: »
    I'm so excited for Norman to become Director of SHIELD or president or whatever. He's so unfit to be in any position of power and nobody realizes it. It's gonna be awesome. I want him to forget to take his meds while he's president and go Green Goblin all over the White House.

Is that what Dark Reign is about? I'd guessed it might be.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nabob wrote: »

Is that what Dark Reign is about? I'd guessed it might be.

I dunno, but there have been lots of hints to him getting some big promotion or something in T-Bolts.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wait a major villain who is obsessed with defeating his foe and also head of a large corporation is going to be in a significant position of power within the marvel universe?

hmmmmmmm

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Where Red Skull fails, Osbourne succeeds.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    pretty sure he was referring to president luthor.

Angry on
This discussion has been closed.