Options

Banned from the EA forums? Be prepared to lose access to ALL your PC games.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    YOU DO NOT GET BANNED FROM PLAYING THE GAME

YOU GET BANNED FROM PLAYING ON EA'S MULTIPLAYER SERVERS

Could that be put in the OP? Otherwise it's hard for people to not reply to this thread all emotional-like.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know...seems to me if people are that worried about it they could just not be an asshole on EA's forums.

Or...just not use EA's forums...works for me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I don't know...seems to me if people are that worried about it they could just not be an asshole on EA's forums.

I don't use their forums, or their multiplayer servers.

Take THAT EA!

rayofash on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also can someone clarify whether the EA forums are something you just can sign up for randomly or whether they are attached to the games?

Because if you need a serial to sign up for the forums already then moderating the forums as an online discussion part of the game and having consequences attached to the game makes perfect sense.

Khavall on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    rayofash wrote: »

Take THAT EA!

I don't use their games anymore. I gave up on EA's bullshit after hearing about their unethical business practices.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Also can someone clarify whether the EA forums are something you just can sign up for randomly or whether they are attached to the games?

Because if you need a serial to sign up for the forums already then moderating the forums as an online discussion part of the game and having consequences attached to the game makes perfect sense.

It is both.

An account you make from a game is an account for the forums. You used to be able to just make an account and then attach products, like the BioWare forums.

Either way, maybe this is crossing a line. Maybe it isnt. The thing is this will only affect dicks and assholes, so pardon me if my outrage is a little bit tempered on this thing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Take THAT EA!

I don't use their games anymore. I gave up on EA's bullshit after hearing about their unethical business practices.

I admire your dedication in the face of Dead Space.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Marikir wrote: »

Take THAT EA!

Don't they have a new CEO? From what I hear they've been shaping up.

rayofash on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Take THAT EA!

Hey I'm up there with him frankly. I'm not interested in getting games like Dead Space when there's plenty of other stuff I could be spending my money on that doesn't include install limits in the package.

On that note, props to Bethesda for their non-idiot moves with Fallout 3.

subedii on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    maybe people shouldn't be douchebags on the internet

I know that's too much to ask for, but c'mon

I can't believe no one has posted this yet

yhst-34640480252896_2021_2528303

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Hey I'm up there with him frankly. I'm not interested in getting games like Dead Space when there's plenty of other stuff I could be spending my money on that doesn't include install limits in the package.

To me this whole thing sounds like EA really, really doesn't want people to purchase their games.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Take THAT EA!

I'm sure I read that it does actually come with some form of SecuROM now.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The fantastic thing is that you have to go out of your way to be banned on the EA forums. Oh no, accountability on the internet.

This won't apply to you because you're
    a) not using their forums
    or
    b) decent human beings.

Why you're getting your panties in a twist for something that more likely than not doesn't fucking apply to you is admirably insane.

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »

To me this whole thing sounds like EA really, really doesn't want people to purchase their games.

No they just think it'll be a good move to hamper the second-hand market. OK, they say it's about piracy, but realistically, I doubt that they're dumb enough to actually believe that themselves.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Take THAT EA!

A version of SecuROM that doesn't even install, and all it does is a simple CD-check. I can't say I have a problem with that.

subedii on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    To help put this into perspective, imagine if Blizzard picked this philosophy up for WoW.

I'm strangely comfortable with the fear of god being put into a couple million asshats, douchebags, fuckmuppets and nincompoops that wipe their asses with the forums and chat channels in that game.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Take THAT EA!

A version of SecuROM that doesn't even install, and all it does is a simple CD-check. I can't say I have a problem with that.

Fair enough, it's just that I had read before that it had no DRM at all, and then was surprised to see that they had that. It doesn't offend me either way, just wanted to see where things were.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Y'know, all these people taking the attitude of "it doesn't matter to me, therefore I don't care" are exactly the kind of people that disgrace the human race. It doesn't fucking matter if it will ever happen to you, it matters if it's wrong on principle. This is wrong ON PRINCIPLE, so you should fight it instead of being lazy, self-interested apathetic dicks.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    What's the big deal? Valve and Bungie have been doing this for ages.

Because it's more fun to wail and make shit up because it's EA now, and it's special.

That needs to be stated again.

Also, this argument has turned into roundabout supporting douchebags being douchebags without consequences.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    man what is with all the people defending this?`
    what if you buy an ea game, then complain on the official forums that it doesn't work
    why shouldn't they just ban you to stop you from complaining and ruining the game's reputation?
    and afaik, valve doesn't ban you ingame for forum trolling.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    The fantastic thing is that you have to go out of your way to be banned on the EA forums. Oh no, accountability on the internet.

This won't apply to you because you're
    a) not using their forums
    or
    b) decent human beings.

Why you're getting your panties in a twist for something that more likely than not doesn't fucking apply to you is admirably insane.
    The argument the OP makes is "What if the Mod that bans you is corrupt?"

The lack of clarification on just what access you'll lose with the games is what makes people make the jump to the conclusion that EA is horrible.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Y'know, all these people taking the attitude of "it doesn't matter to me, therefore I don't care" are exactly the kind of people that disgrace the human race. It doesn't fucking matter if it will ever happen to you, it matters if it's wrong on principle. This is wrong ON PRINCIPLE, so you should fight it instead of being lazy, self-interested apathetic dicks.

It's the Holocaust of Internet Dickwads.

I think humanity will survive.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The corrupt mods scenario is older than the second gunman theory. Penny Arcade is literally swarming with corrupt volunteer mods. And there's no way anyone could possibly reverse a hypothetical accidental banning.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Because it's more fun to wail and make shit up because it's EA now, and it's special.

That needs to be stated again.

Also, this argument has turned into roundabout supporting douchebags being douchebags without consequences.

I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Take THAT EA!

Fair enough, it's just that I had read before that it had no DRM at all, and then was surprised to see that they had that. It doesn't offend me either way, just wanted to see where things were.

They never said there wasn't DRM. They stated that the DRM was solely going to be a simple disk check and nothing else. People just got a little up in arms about it when it was announced that SecuROM was the middleware they'd be using to do that disk check.

subedii on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Im all in favor of punishing internet trolls with real life consequences.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what if you buy an ea game, then complain on the official forums that it doesn't work
    why shouldn't they just ban you to stop you from complaining and ruining the game's reputation?

What if you call 911 and the cops show up and, instead of stopping the guy robbing your house, they shoot you in the face?

Seriously, what the hell. And I'm pretty sure you can't connect to any of Valve's mp games while your steam account is banned but I'm not about to go try it.

edit: also, the plain fact that they're not banning people for doing that now indicates that they probably aren't cooking up some diabolical scheme to... I dunno. I have no idea what banning people from official forums for trying to get technical support would accomplish.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

What if you call 911 and the cops show up and, instead of stopping the guy robbing your house, they shoot you in the face?

Seriously, what the hell. And I'm pretty sure you can't connect to any of Valve's mp games while your steam account is banned but I'm not about to go try it.

They don't lock out your whole Steam account simply for trolling the forums however.

If they did, there'd be a whole lot more people locked out from Steam.

subedii on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

not directed at you personally but..

THIS DOES NOT BAN OR LOCK OUT YOUR GAME FROM BEING USED ON YOUR COMPUTER. WHAT THIS MEANS IS IF YOU ARE BANNED FROM THE EA FORUMS, YOU ARE ALSO BANNED FROM PLAYING ANY SORT OF ONLINE MODE ON ALL OF THEIR GAMES BECAUSE THEY WILL BAN ALL YOUR CD KEYS. BUNGIE DOES THE SAME THING AND HAS DONE THIS FOR 3 YEARS NOW. VALVE DOES THE SAME THING WITH STEAM SINCE IT FUCKING RELEASED.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

yeah that's a totally sound comparison. a company being known for not exactly treating people right not treating people right, and police not shooting robbers, but you

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

They don't lock out your whole Steam account simply for trolling the forums however.

Well yeah. That'd be ridiculous, denying people access to single player content because they were dumb on the internet.

I sure am glad nobody's proposing that.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well yeah. That'd be ridiculous, denying people access to single player content because they were dumb on the internet.

I sure am glad nobody's proposing that.

As far as I'm aware, they don't do that for multiplayer games either. Only if you've been cheating / griefing or other crap, forum behaviour is a separate issue.

subedii on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

not directed at you personally but..

THIS DOES NOT BAN OR LOCK OUT YOUR GAME FROM BEING USED ON YOUR COMPUTER. WHAT THIS MEANS IS IF YOU ARE BANNED FROM THE EA FORUMS, YOU ARE ALSO BANNED FROM PLAYING ANY SORT OF ONLINE MODE ON ALL OF THEIR GAMES BECAUSE THEY WILL BAN ALL YOUR CD KEYS. BUNGIE DOES THE SAME THING AND HAS DONE THIS FOR 3 YEARS NOW. VALVE DOES THE SAME THING WITH STEAM SINCE IT FUCKING RELEASED.

Are you a 100% sure it's the same thing? Do you have a source for that? Because EA games check online EVEN if you're playing SP...

And steam doesn't "do the same thing"... You need to cheat online or do other bad stuff. It's not just a matter of being banned from a forum, AFAIK.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Does anybody have a source here that states that you'll lose the ability to use your game once you're banned from the forums?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Damn it, EA. This is another one of those things that is amazingly retarded, but will likely affect me in no way whatsoever. I was considering picking up a copy of RA2, too. :(

Valve operate the exact same system with Steam.

No.

If you act like a dick on the STEAM forums, you'll get banned. From the STEAM forums.

If you cheat in multiplayer on a VAC-secured server, you'll get banned from VAC-secured servers, but you'll still be able to download and play your games on non-VAC servers or single player.

The only way to get your actual STEAM account banned would be to try purchasing shit with stolen credit cards, like that one stupid kid supposedly did.

I recently learned that VAC bans on a game engine basis, so even if you cheat in Counter-Strike you can still play Counter-Strike: Source on VAC servers.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    If I cheat in Team Fortress 2 and get my steam account banned I cant play Company of Heroes? Is that fair?

If you cheat in a VAC protected game, you don't get your whole account banned, you just can't play on VAC protected servers. And outside of Valve's own games, few games use VAC.

Valve has not. Accounts for using Steam itself and the Steam forums are completely seperate.

Peewi on
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »

Thread win.

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

Valve has not. Accounts for using Steam itself and the Steam forums are completely seperate.

Look didn't you see how LARGE FyreWulff typed it? It must be true.

subedii on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

No, I didn't see his misinformation. I tend to filter out very big text.

Peewi on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I love typing large, it always gets my point across and forces people to scroll through almost unreadable text :^:

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sweet jesus, this thread has sunk below Platformers AND Neogaf in terms of retardation.

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.