Options

Right on a red arrow?

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, pretty simple question, can you turn right on a red arrow? I know that you can usually make a right on a red light unless a sign says otherwise, but Im just not sure if that applies to a red turn signal too. This is somethin thats just been botherin me for a while.

Lardalish on

• Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Where do you live?

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess that is kinda important.

NC, USA.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    From what I remember, the answer is no.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You are correct. Red arrow means no right on red.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the rule is that you only can't turn right if there is a sign that says "No Turn On Red". I think generally the arrows are to indicate that the right lane can only turn right, and/or that you don't need to yield to oncoming traffic when the right turn arrow is green.

NP on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Entirely depends on the state.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In general, no, but it probably depends upon state.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i can't imagine a street where this would come up. 'arrow' lights point left, they are for the turning lanes or leftmost of more than one lane of traffic. right turns are done from the right lane, which should have a solid light.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

What? You basically just said "No, but yes."

Edit - I have lived in California or Montana all my life and have never seen a red right turn arrow. Perhaps there is a distinction here that needs to be made.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i can't imagine a street where this would come up. 'arrow' lights point left, they are for the turning lanes or leftmost of more than one lane of traffic. right turns are done from the right lane, which should have a solid light.
    o_O

Red right turn arrows are found all over the place. We also have electric lighting, and indoor plumbing these days, too.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would give the same response to a question about whether or not prostitution is legal in the U.S.; in general, in the majority of states, no, it's not legal; in Nevada, yes, it happens to be.

So in general, no, but it depends upon the state.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would give the same response to a question about whether or not prostitution is legal in the U.S.; in general, in the majority of states, no, it's not legal; in Nevada, yes, it happens to be.

So in general, no, but it depends upon the state.

Ah, I took that as a minor harping on my post above it. I guess you obviously didn't mean it that way as you didn't quote me.

Carry on.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Red arrow means no turn, because it means you are sitting at an intersection that requires a protected right turn (i.e. green arrow) to proceed. The red arrow is being used to differentiate between being allwoed to make a right turn and being allowed to go straight (or turn left). Otherwise, they'd just slap a red light on the top and call it a day. This is definitely the case in California. Not sure about other States, but it stands to reason...

There is also the point that if they have to protect the turn, there's probably a good reason. It can't hurt to be safe and wait until the green arrow shows up.

Edit Add: Found this. Looks like we're right - the safe thing is to just not turn until it turns green.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    are we talking about this?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2835226/2/istockphoto_2835226-red-traffic-light.jpg

is he asking if he can turn right at a sign which translates to "do not turn right"?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    We should cover all interpretations just to be safe.

But yeah, I would think a red arrow instead of a solid red would imply no turning in whatever state it is in. I'm sure this information is google-able.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Edit - I have lived in California or Montana all my life and have never seen a red right turn arrow. Perhaps there is a distinction here that needs to be made.
    I lived in California for 20+ years. There are most definitely right-turn arrows in California.

In any case, the North Carolina Driver's Handbook seems to state that no, you may not make an unprotected right turn on a red right arrow:
    Unless there is a sign indicating "NO TURN ON RED," you can turn right on a circular a steady, red, circular traffic signal after stopping and making sure that the turn can be made safely.

Further:
    * A green arrow means that you have a "protected" turning movement with no other conflicting traffic in the intersection except U-turn traffic that should yield to all other traffic entering the intersection.

* A red arrow means turning traffic must stop.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Having taken a course in traffic engineering, I'm 99% certain a right arrow means you cannot turn "right on red". There may be a precious few exceptions that I'm unaware of, but other than that, I'm certain.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Massachusetts as well is as Thanatos described, a Red Arrow Light effectively working like a stop sign when taking a right-hand turn.

metaghost on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Red arrows always mean you can't turn right. They're there because that intersection is particularly dangerous for right turns. It's why you generally only see them at certain intersections and not at every one.

Quid on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Even beyond legality, the traffic engineers are telling you that making that turn is a bad idea.

I mean, I know it'd suck to get a ticket or something, but it'd suck worse to be hit by a car and/or hit something that you couldn't see due to some obstruction or something.

Honest to god, we need more of those around here. There are intersections where the no turn signs are printed way too small to read (and have fine print indicating what times they apply).

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, I know you shouldn't always believe everything you read on the internet, but the state highway patrol itself claims the following:

http://blogsarchive.newsobserver.com/crosstown/index.php?title=turn_turn_turn&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
    Lt. Clendenin lays down the law on right turns. Solid red and right-arrow red mean the same thing, he says:

Stop, look and then turn. The only time you're not allowed to turn right on red in North Carolina is where there's a sign that says no right turn on red.

Also, Thanatos, the law you cited says you need to stop when there's an arrow, that doesn't preclude moving after the stop (it's covered in the link above by the NC cop).

Ninja edit: Of course, if you don't feel comfortable going when the light is red, then by all means wait until it turns green.

NP on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In Washington about half of the people think one thing and half think the other. There's a red right turn arrow at a certain intersection which invariably ends up with someone honking at the guy in front after everyone who has decided they can make the turn has done so.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've lived in Ohio and Virginia, and driven through all the states in between, and I have never seen one of those.

I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've only seen one of these lights in Michigan, but it does mean no turning, regardless of the state of through traffic.

The intersection it's at is T-shaped, where Brockway runs into Gratiot. There's a right turn lane from Gratiot to Brockway that normally has a permanent green arrow, since there's no through traffic to interfere with it. There's a button for pedestrians, though, and when they push it, the next time Gratiot gets the green light for through traffic, that right turn lane gets a red arrow and the crosswalk gets a walk sign. I've only actually seen it red twice - most pedestrians don't seem to realize the button's there and instead stand blocking Brockway's left turn lane and waiting for a break.

Hevach on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I can vouch for Montana...I've not seen a single one of these here, and I'd not be surprised if there are none in the state (hell half the rubes up here can barely handle green right-turn arrows...it's still new to them).

But California? They're all over the damn place down there. If you didn't see any, it's because you weren't looking for them and thus it's more than likely you ran a few in your time without realizing it. :P

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure this is universal across all fifty states. A red arrow means you may not turn in that direction, even after stopping. If you were allowed to make a yielding turn after a stop, it would be a standard red, not the red arrow. And obviously Than posted the relevant info for the OP's state. There are really only a few basic rules that actually vary from state to state...almost everything is standardized. The fines obviously vary, but usually the actual rules are the same. I think U-turns are the only major exception I can think of.

EDIT: Shit, somehow missed NP's post that adds new controversy. Fuck if I know, then, but I'm inclined to side with Than's interpretation.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, the biggest cities I've been to have been Memphis, New Orleans, and Atlanta- and I didn't drive while in Atlanta.

I definitely have not seen these. They seem to be just an expensive alternative to the "no turn on red" sign.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Guys, even though Thanatos seems to have made an assertion to the contrary, this quote that he posted:
    Unless there is a sign indicating "NO TURN ON RED," you can turn right on a circular a steady, red, circular traffic signal after stopping and making sure that the turn can be made safely.

Well, it seems rather straightforward.

I'm curious why the OP wanted to know.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    metaghost wrote: »
    Guys, even though Thanatos seems to have made an assertion to the contrary, this quote that he posted:

That's not straightforward because it refers specifically to the steady red circular traffic signal, not the red right arrow.

And he probably wants to know because the fuckers behind him were honking while he waited at the red arrow not knowing if he was going to get a ticket for $texas if he went through it after stopping. And these are uncommon enough that they probably aren't covered in the written or road tests to get a license, and may well not be covered as more than a footnote in full-blown driver's ed courses.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    lard

I think you need to be more specific with what it looked like (maybe draw it) because a lot of people seem to be confused

Raneados on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ahhhh I see what he's talking about

a signal light that has no full circle colors, but is in the right lane at a stoplight, pointing right

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    well, apparently some states do not allow right turns on red arrows, trying to find which ones

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    well, apparently some states do not allow right turns on red arrows, trying to find which ones

Yeah, and it sounds like some DO allow it.

Which is pretty stupid. At that point why have the red right arrow anyway? Legally it's in no way distinguished from the full right circle, unless there is some situation in which you'd want right turns to stop and yield while through traffic does not (and instead proceeds through on green).

I can't think of any such road/intersection configuration.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »

Yeah, and it sounds like some DO allow it.

Which is pretty stupid. At that point why have the red right arrow anyway? Legally it's in no way distinguished from the full right circle, unless there is some situation in which you'd want right turns to stop and yield while through traffic does not (and instead proceeds through on green).

I can't think of any such road/intersection configuration.

Parallel road traffic and high-traffic crosswalk, using the signal as a reminder to drivers that green doesn't mean mow pedestrians down. Yes I'm bitter.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah, makes sense.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You guys want complicated, try figuring out what states allow LEFT TURNS on red, when you're turning onto a one-way street :)

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    You guys want complicated, try figuring out what states allow LEFT TURNS on red, when you're turning onto a one-way street :)

You have to be on a one-way street turning on to another one-way street to make a left turn on red.

In my area the turning lanes at the intersection have green and yellow arrows, but a normal red light.
    So right on red follows the normal order of things.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Red arrow means no turn, because it means you are sitting at an intersection that requires a protected right turn (i.e. green arrow) to proceed. The red arrow is being used to differentiate between being allwoed to make a right turn and being allowed to go straight (or turn left). Otherwise, they'd just slap a red light on the top and call it a day. This is definitely the case in California. Not sure about other States, but it stands to reason...

There is also the point that if they have to protect the turn, there's probably a good reason. It can't hurt to be safe and wait until the green arrow shows up.

Edit Add: Found this. Looks like we're right - the safe thing is to just not turn until it turns green.

That link seems to have old information. I could almost swear my driving manual for when I first got my license indicated that RTOR arrow lights are only disallowed when posted. Especially since NY is on that "no go" list and I don't see any information citing that on the web or on their website.

I think it got lifted in 1980something and the only place it still applies is in NYC.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »

That's not straightforward because it refers specifically to the steady red circular traffic signal, not the red right arrow.

And he probably wants to know because the fuckers behind him were honking while he waited at the red arrow not knowing if he was going to get a ticket for $texas if he went through it after stopping. And these are uncommon enough that they probably aren't covered in the written or road tests to get a license, and may well not be covered as more than a footnote in full-blown driver's ed courses.

Ha, I'm sorry, I was hella tired and just filling in the details. I mean...the red arrows lights come in a circular container...
    Still, uh, I support turning on red arrows. I remember it from my driver's ed handbook.

metaghost on
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember from my tests and the one website linked before basically explains that in Michigan (where I live) that it is used in one way only (turn right only) lanes. I don't think they use them (I have never seen one) because its confusing (why put the arrow in red when everyone knows that you can't go forward in red anyways). The confusion also comes from the use in left turn lanes, of course you can't turn if its red or a red arrow. So in Michigan it is fine and used more to keep people from making the mistake of thinking they can go straight cutting off the lane to the right or causing some kind of incident.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In Quebec you can't even make a right on a red light ever. Makes for some interesting trips from English East to English West Canada. Also, because Quebec doesn't support the "trans-Canada" highway idea, the highway coming from the direction of Ottawa goes directly into Quebec city, and you have to make a turn off to stay on the highway.

Coming back from NIN on the 11th, I shat bricks when I was crusing along at 140kph and suddenly was hit with a wall of red traffic lights.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN