As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fable II: Buy the DLC, or the lead designer gets it.

• Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It looks like hot buttered sex on my 52. Maybe there's something wrong with your xbox.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What kind of connection from the 360 to the TV? What's the TV running games at? 720, 1080?

Houn on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    I recently started playing this after borrowing from a friend and one thing has been really bugging me. The graphics.

Im trying to find out if its just my tv or what. Im playing on a 52 inch flat panel HD. The Xbox is properly hooked up, but I get alot of jaggies. I dont mind the floating people and dog so much, but its really hard to believe the game looks this bad. Even some of the screenshots shown look smoother. Any ideas? Or is it really just this un-polished?

I don't get any jaggies, but the whole game looks fuzzy to me, with a good bit of choppiness. I'm betting my 360 is finally starting to have issues. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine's kind of fuzzy/choppy sometimes too, and my xbox is a refurbish that's like 2 weeks old that I just got back from microsoft because my original xbox RROD'd.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    I recently started playing this after borrowing from a friend and one thing has been really bugging me. The graphics.

Im trying to find out if its just my tv or what. Im playing on a 52 inch flat panel HD. The Xbox is properly hooked up, but I get alot of jaggies. I dont mind the floating people and dog so much, but its really hard to believe the game looks this bad. Even some of the screenshots shown look smoother. Any ideas? Or is it really just this un-polished?

I don't get any jaggies, but the whole game looks fuzzy to me, with a good bit of choppiness. I'm betting my 360 is finally starting to have issues. :|
    Fable's hard on the box. When I'm playing it, my Xbox is constantly making these horrible noises, but I switch to Mass Effect and it's fine.

The game is just hard to run, I guess.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't even bother running games from the disc anymore. I store one game on my puny 20gb HDD, and play only that game until I'm done. Fable 2 runs quite well from the drive.

Houn on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Make sure you're running at the TV's native resolution, otherwise it's shitty scaler will screw with your image quality.

No jaggies on a 19" monitor running at 1280x1024

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Make sure you're running at the TV's native resolution, otherwise it's shitty scaler will screw with your image quality.

No jaggies on a 19" monitor running at 1280x1024

TV runs at 1080p, supports all of the "standard" resolutions. However, no other game looks fuzzy like Fable 2 does. Really.. Rock Band, CoD4, Pure, Prince of Persia... none of them.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Have you tried adjusting the in-game video settings?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also has anyone listend to the group of little girls running around Knothole?
    They're re-enacting Fable 1.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

That's awesome. I knew I hadn't spent enough time wandering around there.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I don't even bother running games from the disc anymore. I store one game on my puny 20gb HDD, and play only that game until I'm done. Fable 2 runs quite well from the drive.
    Slightly OT, but has anybody noticed that installing too many games on your HDD causes errors? I had to reinstall Fable 2 to my HDD when its installation caused my capacity to dip under 60 GB...

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's awesome. I knew I hadn't spent enough time wandering around there.

Two choice lines from them (Fable 1 spoilers)
    "Noooo, don't put the mask on! Jack of Blades promises are lies!.... oh... too late"

"Now that I've left the guild, I don't have to listen to the guildmaster anymore.. oh no, he's talking inside my head!"

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but has anybody noticed that installing too many games on your HDD causes errors? I had to reinstall Fable 2 to my HDD when its installation caused my capacity to dip under 60 GB...

It shouldn't, maybe your Fable 2 install just got corrupted somehow.

Also I hate you and your 120GB HDD installfest.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BrodiemanBrodieman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brodieman wrote: »
    Max evil, and was slightly toward Corrupt when I got the first part.

Edit: I've also changed into and out of bits of it a fair few times.

Just to follow up on myself, looks like I didn't have enough of the armour on at once to see the difference, or just didn't look closely. Got the helmet last night, and I look like a frakin' Cylon with it on, thanks to my evilness.

Similarly,
    I found a girl in Bowerstone Old Town looking for 'Rosie'.

I like the little appeals to nostalgia.

Brodieman on
    The+Fodder+Boy.png
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So installing the game to the HD seems to have cleared up the stability issues, and now it runs just fine. I've been messing around Bowerstone mostly, working the forge to earn a bunch of money; I bought a house in the Old City. I also bought some new furniture, but for some reason the stuff in my house is still the same crap that came with it. What do I have to do to fill my house with respectable furnishings?

Also, is there way to fiddle with the camera beyond the basic, up-down-left-right? And is it possible to actually aim with ranged weapons? Right now I'm just looking in the general direction of my foes and hitting Y.

At the risk of not being nerdy enough, how does one install this game on their HD? I have a basically new Xbox 360, never been opened or changed, and a copy of Fable II on disc. If it improves the stability and the load times by installing it to the HD, I think I'd like to do that. Anybody have any advice?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Get the NXE?

Put the game in, press "Y" on the game's tile (says Game Information)

option to Install to Hard Drive

wait ~5 minutes

game will now automatically play from harddrive anytime you put it in

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wise_a wrote: »
    So installing the game to the HD seems to have cleared up the stability issues, and now it runs just fine. I've been messing around Bowerstone mostly, working the forge to earn a bunch of money; I bought a house in the Old City. I also bought some new furniture, but for some reason the stuff in my house is still the same crap that came with it. What do I have to do to fill my house with respectable furnishings?

Also, is there way to fiddle with the camera beyond the basic, up-down-left-right? And is it possible to actually aim with ranged weapons? Right now I'm just looking in the general direction of my foes and hitting Y.

At the risk of not being nerdy enough, how does one install this game on their HD? I have a basically new Xbox 360, never been opened or changed, and a copy of Fable II on disc. If it improves the stability and the load times by installing it to the HD, I think I'd like to do that. Anybody have any advice?

Well, if you hook up your 360 to the internet, you'll get the NXE upgrade, after that, it's simply putting in the disc, go to My Games, select Fable II and click install to Hard Drive.

EDIT: beat

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That sounds good - does it really help with the general game experience?

Thanks for the advice too.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    its not a day and night difference but it really really helps, worth the effort if you don't even if you don't have the nxe.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was coming in here to bitch about stability issues for Fable 2 (it keeps fucking crashing on me!) but apparently installing the game removes a lot of the issues.

Guess I'm uninstalling L4D. Damn you 20g harddrive!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah... keeping switching fable 2 and mass effect.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, am I the only one taking the DLC slowly? I bought it on release and still haven't finished it. I do a key/dungeon, then turn the game off. Because I suddenly got Mass Effect and CoD5 and such.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I rented this game a few days ago, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I don't think I'd ever buy it, but I'm having fun so far. What between having an undead wife, living in a house with a bed that sends me to a super friend dimension and a wicked sweet legendary katana on my back.

Anyone want to do the dance of Ur'Cyrandorandorander with me?

Edit: I have encountered a pretty crappy bug though. For some reason the bloodstone blacksmith has disappeared completely, I've tried installing onto HD and everything, going at all times of the day and he is never there.

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, am I the only one taking the DLC slowly? I bought it on release and still haven't finished it. I do a key/dungeon, then turn the game off. Because I suddenly got Mass Effect and CoD5 and such.

You take little bites of your Hershey bars, don't you?

And I finally did it - got duelist this morning by switching towns and doing it in Westcliff. 1100/1100 whoo!

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    deowolf wrote: »

And I finally did it - got duelist this morning by switching towns and doing it in Westcliff. 1100/1100 whoo!

No, but I see no reason to power through it either..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Truly not much powering involved. Dungeon-wise, I thought it was pretty light. Neat stuff, though, but it really left me wanting more.

deowolf on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Like there's no reason to do any of this stuff, none if it is relevant to the quest or improves my character in any way.

The reason you do it is to do it. It's fun, to a lot of people, to mess around in a big world where you can do lots of things. If that's not what lights your fire, you won't like the game. It doesn't mean the game is bad, it means it isn't your cup of tea.

Yes but doing things doesn't do anything. It has no real impact on the world whatsoever, everything seems to exist in a vacuum. Yes npcs make little comments about it, and that's nice, but most games these days give you something for accomplishments. Doing all the side quests I can get behind, but there's hardly any of those in this game, and some of them have about as much effort as Mass Effects side planets. In Fable what does Marriage do? Does it affect you as a hero in any way? Do children do anything? Everything was supposed to do stuff, this is what Molyneux promised, this is what the reviews led me to believe, and it's an utter pack of lies.

A task existing for the sole purpose of doing is not content, and an objective with no motivation is bad game design, that's just how I feel. This is with admission that this stuff is something alot of people like, but the game is most certainly not was promised. You go read some reviews for this game and be honest with yourself and tell me that's the game you're playing. I didn't like GTA4 that much and I agree with the reviews it got, I like Fable 2 okay but I think the reviews are way too kind.

It's like buying a steak at a fancy 5 star restaurant that everyone in town recommends and the server brings you salmon, while insisting it is infact steak. It's tasty salmon, but you don't like salmon as much as steak and it isn't what you ordered.

Now a few questions:

Is there any way to make a melee character not look like a mutant resembling the Tank from Left 4 Dead? Will Celery help?
    How long is Knothole Island?
    Is there a faster way to switch spells than going into the menu?

override367 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    Like there's no reason to do any of this stuff, none if it is relevant to the quest or improves my character in any way.

The reason you do it is to do it. It's fun, to a lot of people, to mess around in a big world where you can do lots of things. If that's not what lights your fire, you won't like the game. It doesn't mean the game is bad, it means it isn't your cup of tea.

Yes but doing things doesn't do anything. It has no real impact on the world whatsoever, everything seems to exist in a vacuum. Yes npcs make little comments about it, and that's nice, but most games these days give you something for accomplishments. Doing all the side quests I can get behind, but there's hardly any of those in this game, and some of them have about as much effort as Mass Effects side planets. In Fable what does Marriage do? Does it affect you as a hero in any way? Do children do anything? Everything was supposed to do stuff, this is what Molyneux promised, this is what the reviews led me to believe, and it's an utter pack of lies.

Read what I said again. No one lied to you, Fable 2 is exactly what the reviews and Peter Molyneaux said it was going to be. I'm really sorry you didn't like it, but it doesn't make it a bad game and it doesn't make anyone involved in it a "liar". Don't be ridiculous.

Tube on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wise_a wrote: »
    That sounds good - does it really help with the general game experience?

Thanks for the advice too.

The biggest and most appreciated effect of an install comes when scrolling through menus. What used to take a long time now takes slightly less time, as it doesn't need to grab the info for the item off of the disc!

oh, and Override: To switch spells faster, hold down the right trigger, and use the control pad like you do in the menu system. Note that pushing "A" will change all higher level spells to the spell you have selected.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

...In Fable what does Marriage do? Does it affect you as a hero in any way? Do children do anything?...

Marriage does the following things:

1. Your wife and/or children will occasionally provide you gifts.
    2. Having a happy family at a household increases the benefit from sleeping there.
    3. There are a few major plot points which involve your family.
    4. There is at least one post-game side quest that requires having a child.

Just saying. It does do things directly for the game (and indirectly for the experience via the associated achievements, if that is your thing). There isn't really anything that has absolutely no effect in the game world (even dressing up your character has affects from moderating your alignment to how NPCs feel about you).

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there any way to make a melee character not look like a mutant resembling the Tank from Left 4 Dead? Will Celery help?

this. anyone know?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Putting points in speed rather than strength will let you hit faster, but not as hard. That's about it.

deowolf on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My favorite thing about Fable 2 is that I can toss a fireball to blow someone's door open before beating them to death with my hammer.

Teleporting behind people and hitting them with a charged strike is great fun, too. Sometimes I'd just constantly teleport around people.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mojojoeo wrote: »

this. anyone know?

If you're fat, eat celery. Or if you have knothole island, go buy the potion that makes you lose weight.

My only big gripe about the game really is that there don't really seem to be many characters you build relationships with. It's hard to really explain, but what I mean is that there doesn't seem to be many secondary characters. There are a few primary (I feel even that number is too low) in the likes of hammer, theresa, the main bad guy, etc. And there are a ton of tertiary characters like the town citizens and stuff. But most of the secondary characters sort of exist in a state between secondary and tertiary. Where, sure you see them maybe once or twice, and they have a couple of lines, but that's it.

Again, it's hard to explain, but I think I can sum it up this way. I finished the game, and I'm exploring, making money and finishing up quests and stuff, but the game world feels really lonely even with all the people in it. Just because the only time people are really interacting with you is when you're buying something from them, or getting a quest from them.

I think a good example of a game that didn't feel lonely was mass effect, where there are tons of people to talk to, some are simple, some have complex back stories, and a lot of people are just dead ends, but you can talk to them and learn stuff about the world. It seems to me most of the things you learn about the world are from books or from loading screen tips.

But I do find the combat in Fable 2 to be extremely addicting and fun.

So I guess you can't have it all.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009

this. anyone know?

don't put points into physique

Tube on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I did the same, but not totally intentionally. I said earlier, while the DLC may only amount to 2 hours more, the way this game immersed me, it sounds (and feels) REALLY corny, but it ended up being another 10+ hours for me.

My hero's well documented marital problems was all I really had to do when I used him (and he's my main hero, so I really do enjoy playing as him more than the evil bitch I created to see alternate missions). I'd boot up the game, try to make a baby, and wrestle with cheating on her in order to find a wife who CAN give me children.

Knothole was fun, and after the 1st mission I ended up feeling rejuvenated. New clothes, a new weapon, new people (I love that bard in Knothole's crazy hair), and I actually turned OFF the breadcrumb trail, and just trekked through Albion completing the Gargoyles quest. I had NO desire to do this before Knothole. Something about having an actual task and saving a town just put a spring in my Hero's step, and I had a great time. I finally beat all of Knothole last night, but now am looking for things to get items in the shop of secrets or whatever, and looking for the books. I can already feel my desire to do things waning again (I really dont feel like searching for silver keys), but I bet all that would change with another round of DLC.

Even in the look of my hero, things changed. When I completed the game, he had the warrior stripe. After a bit of doing nothing, I got some dreads, fattened up, and wore very regal looking outfits while I did shit. After fighting the first mission in Knothole, my hero came out of retirement. Shaved head, got some new tattoos, and a sweet weapon. It's like a mid-life crisis.

But damn my good moral standing and the attachment I have to my 3 kids. I can't risk losing them in a divorce. I will continue to plow my wife angrily as I hope for a 4th child someday...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

this. anyone know?

tbh I was surprised they didn't include physique potions in the DLC. You can mitigate your height gain from maxing the skill tree with the DLC potions...

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quick question, have the bugs in the original game been fixed with the updates? (I don't mean knothole island) Or are there situations that I should avoid?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

this. anyone know?

tbh I was surprised they didn't include physique potions in the DLC. You can mitigate your height gain from maxing the skill tree with the DLC potions...

yeah it would have been nice to be a pint sized hero with the ability to beat the shit out of balverines with an axe.

Egos on
This discussion has been closed.