Options

Fable II: Buy the DLC, or the lead designer gets it.

• Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    8-)

On another note, she got this game like only a week ago, I worked pretty damn hard (blacksmithing, then renting out shops) to save up a million so I could buy:
    Fairfax Mansion

And yesterday i'm just talking to her about the game and she blurts out "A guy totally just gave me a million gold! For no reason! And I don't even have any property!"

Like she didn't even realise it was a huge amount of money. LAME.

Coreo on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought that particular property last night. Really, to anyone complaining about money, just spend a bit of time working at a job, get up to 50k or so, and buy a Blacksmith or Inn. Then, go adventure. Next time you're in town, buy what you need, then buy up every business you can. Repeat. I currently make just over 10,000 gold every five minutes, and I've got the grand majority of my properties and businesses set at the default rates.

Houn on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I bought that particular property last night. Really, to anyone complaining about money, just spend a bit of time working at a job, get up to 50k or so, and buy a Blacksmith or Inn. Then, go adventure. Next time you're in town, buy what you need, then buy up every business you can. Repeat. I currently make just over 10,000 gold every five minutes, and I've got the grand majority of my properties and businesses set at the default rates.

Alternatively, wait for a 50% off sale at the Bowerstone blacksmith. Buy out his inventory, then run to Fairfax and sell everything. You'll need about 15k in startup money, but you'll end up with around 30-35k. Sleep for 24 hours, and do it again until the sale expires. It's far less tedious than blacksmithing (but maybe that's just me).

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Alternatively, wait for a 50% off sale at the Bowerstone blacksmith. Buy out his inventory, then run to Fairfax and sell everything. You'll need about 15k in startup money, but you'll end up with around 30-35k. Sleep for 24 hours, and do it again until the sale expires. It's far less tedious than blacksmithing (but maybe that's just me).

Seriously, buying weapons in old town and selling them in fairfax is a good way of doubling your investment in 5 minutes.

Fuck forging.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did everyone elses sales stop after they won the game?!? What's up with that?

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nope. I still get plenty of cash for my property.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh no, not sales of properties, I mean the 50% off sales, shortages, etc.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    MerceMerce Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I suppose I should have read up on this "Gender Bending Potion" dealy. Before I bought Fairfax. And decided I was smarter than the game, that I could simply quit the game after I used it for kicks.

I'm an idiot.

Merce on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why is the Duelist so difficult for me? I'm getting 10 blue streaks in a row, but it's still not working.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    Why is the Duelist so difficult for me? I'm getting 10 blue streaks in a row, but it's still not working.

It's kind of dodgy, you'll usually need more than 10 in a row, try just going for as long as you can. I got a few over 10, then immediately after got the achievement for about 5.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So what you're saying is there's some kind of bug?

Unforgivable!

deowolf on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    So what you're saying is there's some kind of bug?

Unforgivable!

Seems to be lots of bugs related to achievements. I got the Extremist achievement about an hour after I made it to full good and pure. -shrug-

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Have we talked about the secret room in the DLC? Because I think we should talk about the secret room in the DLC.
    I stumbled upon it by accident. In the Storm Temple, there's a wall you can walk right through to find an easter egg. Video in the second spoiler if you don't want to find it yourself:

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Seems like I got me a bug in the damn achievement then. I'm butt-hurt about this. I can get my streak up to like 11 or 12, then it stops.

That secret room - what? I don't get it.

deowolf on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Regarding the secret room:
    Looks like they're using photo frames to look like computer monitors, so it seems they're recreating the lionhead developer room with each desk having something unique to the employee, plus it looks like that guy didn't know the LB button was first person view.

Coreo on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    "Waaaah?" "Wait a few minutes?"

I didn't have to do either, I just bought a cheap ass house and set my clock forward then bought the bowerstone inn. Normally I wouldn't do that, but what kind of lame ass game doesn't give me money for doing quests?

I want to punch peter molyneux in the mouth and every reviewer who was obviously paid off for their 10 out of 10s

I don't think anyone was paid. Honestly, I think you are just pissed because the game wasn't custom tailored for you. Sounds like your biggest complaint is money though. The game gives you several opportunities to make extremely easy money without cheating. You can play 5 minutes of a job, buy some property, set it to the appropriate value percentage, and that should provide you with what you need to make it through the game. You won't have the best equipment, but that will solve the difficulty problem for you as well.

Well I don't care about it being custom tailored to me, but when reviewers tell me "Peter Molyneux delivers on his promises this time!" and I actually believe them to find out it's a pack of lies, I get pissed.

The game is moderately better than Fable 1. The vast majority of extra content in this game has no reason to for doing so except "because I can", sure I can buy all the properties in the world, but you'll get more gold than you need by the time you get 2 or 3 really good ones (which I did, as I mentioned). You can marry a bunch of NPCs, but it serves no real purpose.

Like there's no reason to do any of this stuff, none if it is relevant to the quest or improves my character in any way. It's like listing the ability to decorate houses in Oblivion as a feature.

Seems like alot of people like that though, just seems kind of... silly. I could just play The Sims and find a deeper experience in regards to property management and family management, I bought Fable 2 because I wanted an Action RPG. There's not much action or rpg in this game, at least, not as much as there is ancillary stuff.

Note I don't think Fable 2 is bad, it's just not a 10, not amazing, not game of the year. It's average. Consequently it's one of the worst games I've bought in the last year, if not the worst, because I'm very particular about game purchases. It's fable 1 with a dumber spellcasting system, marginally longer gameplay, and more pretty fluff.

Edit: Yahtzee's review pretty much matches my opinion perfectly. You have to judge this game as a life simulator to like it, since there isn't much actual game here judged any other way.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to go out on a limb, here, Override, but you didn't care for Oblivion, GTA4, or Fallout, either, did you?

Houn on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For the most part I agree with Yahtzee's review, but I still enjoyed the game.

Egos on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sharp10r wrote: »

Actually yes, I just beat it and now all the sales have stopped.

I've passed through about 3 weeks of in game time and there have been no sales.

Another topic, is the DLC worth it? It looks good and I would like more stuff to do/more items but I'm not sold yet.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Another topic, is the DLC worth it? It looks good and I would like more stuff to do/more items but I'm not sold yet.
    I haven't noticed that, myself. I've got two characters doing post-main-story stuff now, and there still seem to be sales.

On the DLC, the character I've taken through it so far is using two Knothole Island specific weapons, with 4 Knothole Island augments slotted into each, wearing an outfit you can only get on Knothole Island and has her dog back. I'm personally 100% satisfied with it, as it got me a lot of great new stuff on top of being excited to play Fable again. I'm probably going to start up a caster next, just so I can carry around that staff and feel like a badass.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I haven't noticed that, myself. I've got two characters doing post-main-story stuff now, and there still seem to be sales.

On the DLC, the character I've taken through it so far is using two Knothole Island specific weapons, with 4 Knothole Island augments slotted into each, wearing an outfit you can only get on Knothole Island and has her dog back. I'm personally 100% satisfied with it, as it got me a lot of great new stuff on top of being excited to play Fable again. I'm probably going to start up a caster next, just so I can carry around that staff and feel like a badass.

Too bad they dont have good skull face tattoos, it would be great to walk around with that thing and pretend your Skeletor.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I saved the dog with my ending haha. I get the feeling I shouldn't have done that now that knothole island is available.

The new weapons interest me a lot from the DLC too, and the knight armor sounds cool too, I'm kind of sick of running around in a jacket.

Maybe it'll be worth it to start a new game as an evil character and see how different I turn out. Can you go to knothole before you've beaten the game?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Armor is really sweet, actually, and changes according to if you're good or evil. I'm good, so it's almost a light golden color with a white cape. Instead of the helmet, I'm wearing the Greaser Wig + Chops + Handlebar Stache, all dyed auburn. Add in the Halo. I look like a bad ass. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I saved the dog with my ending haha. I get the feeling I shouldn't have done that now that knothole island is available.

The new weapons interest me a lot from the DLC too, and the knight armor sounds cool too, I'm kind of sick of running around in a jacket.

Maybe it'll be worth it to start a new game as an evil character and see how different I turn out. Can you go to knothole before you've beaten the game?

Yeah, but Im not sure how much of it you can complete.

The Armor is really sweet, actually, and changes according to if you're good or evil. I'm good, so it's almost a light golden color with a white cape. Instead of the helmet, I'm wearing the Greaser Wig + Chops + Handlebar Stache, all dyed auburn. I look like a bad ass. :D

People still find me scary oddly wearing the whole white suit of armor.

Egos on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure I've kept the highwayman coat since I found it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone have a fully evil character? I've never had the heart to make one in these games. Even the Mass effect Renegade felt too evil to me. I love the look of evil characters, but I enjoy helping people out haha.

Is it possible to kill every person in the game? Will the game stay unpopulated if you do that?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wore the Highwayman Coat and Hat, Adventurer's Shirt and Boots, and Ranger Pants for a long time, colors a combo of Brown and Blue, and felt pretty bad-ass, but after becoming affluent, I felt it better to show off my status as a Gentleman Adventurer with the Noble set, dyed in White with an Indigo Coat.

Edit - My next character is going to be evil, and focus on Will + Agility. She will rule Albion with an Iron Fist, though she won't kill everyone; she'll need people around to pay the obscene rents she's planning on charging.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is it possible to kill every person in the game? Will the game stay unpopulated if you do that?

No it will repopulate, but screws up the economy I think.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My character now focused on will and strength, and it's still so much fun. Slow time + big ass hammer = hilariously good times.

Of course, the cheap easy way to do things is level 3 slow time to level 5 lightning. Still fun though.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really should make a new character and play through as Evil McBastard. Sounds a whole lot of fun.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Armor is really sweet, actually, and changes according to if you're good or evil. I'm good, so it's almost a light golden color with a white cape. Instead of the helmet, I'm wearing the Greaser Wig + Chops + Handlebar Stache, all dyed auburn. Add in the Halo. I look like a bad ass. :D
    There are actually two sets. One is the Knothole Glade armor, another you get from the trader lady.
    It's evil.

Between those two and the various Ranger items that look like armor, you could probably put together some pretty kickass custome suits. I haven't tried; my girl's been rocking the Barbarian Queen outfit since I got it.

My guy (who hasn't done Knothole yet) has been in a Highwayman coat forever. Dyed black, with the right haircut and stuff under it, it kind of makes him look like a renaissance era Punisher.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There is an evil armor-type set from the Mystery Trader, yes, but the Knothole Glade armor does change color based on your alignment. Good is a Goldish color, Neutral is Grey, and Evil is Black and Red.

Houn on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    Like there's no reason to do any of this stuff, none if it is relevant to the quest or improves my character in any way.

The reason you do it is to do it. It's fun, to a lot of people, to mess around in a big world where you can do lots of things. If that's not what lights your fire, you won't like the game. It doesn't mean the game is bad, it means it isn't your cup of tea.

Tube on
  • Options
    BrodiemanBrodieman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you sure it's not based on Purity? I'm playind a full-evil chick and her Knothole Island armour is shining silver. Unless it only takes effect with the full suit? She's max evil/pure.

Brodieman on
    The+Fodder+Boy.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    It's like playing Ikaruga for points. You don't get anything for the points. Your ship doesn't get better, and you can finish the whole game without worrying about it. The points are there for you to have fun trying to get more of them. There's no "purpose" to anything in games, you're not actually achieving anything, it's all just for fun. Saying "but it doesn't get you anything!" is, in my view, missing the point.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There is an evil armor-type set from the Mystery Trader, yes, but the Knothole Glade armor does change color based on your alignment. Good is a Goldish color, Neutral is Grey, and Evil is Black and Red.
    Yeah, sorry. I wasn't trying to imply that there was some confusion between them, just that there's a completely separate set to be had.

The Evil set can be dyed, too. I was frustrated by the Knothole Armor's unwillingness to turn pink.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Brodieman wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not based on Purity? I'm playind a full-evil chick and her Knothole Island armour is shining silver. Unless it only takes effect with the full suit? She's max evil/pure.

Was she evil when you put it on? Supposedly if you start at one end, then change alignment, you have to take it off and put it back on for it to change. Everything I've read says it's based on Good/Evil, but admittedly my character has been Pure/Good from the start, so I haven't tested it myself.

Houn on
  • Options
    BrodiemanBrodieman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Max evil, and was slightly toward Corrupt when I got the first part.

Edit: I've also changed into and out of bits of it a fair few times.

Brodieman on
    The+Fodder+Boy.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Like in all games, the evil alignment always gets the best looking clothing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I recently started playing this after borrowing from a friend and one thing has been really bugging me. The graphics.

Im trying to find out if its just my tv or what. Im playing on a 52 inch flat panel HD. The Xbox is properly hooked up, but I get alot of jaggies. I dont mind the floating people and dog so much, but its really hard to believe the game looks this bad. Even some of the screenshots shown look smoother. Any ideas? Or is it really just this un-polished?

SkannerJAT on
This discussion has been closed.