Options

Fable II: Buy the DLC, or the lead designer gets it.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kenninator wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Finished it today.
    Fuck Reaver. I've never actually disliked a character in a videogame as much as I dislike him. He killed Barnum, a hilarious character I was hoping to see more of in the DLC, and during the already anti-climactic final scene, he steals my kill, taking away any possible enjoyment I would have gotten from it. Fuck.

Christ, I hope we can see him again in DLC, and strangle him.

I was playing a Pure/Evil character on my first run. Gonna do it for my second, too. :D
    Sure Reaver's an evil, conniving bastard. But damn, I admired his style.
    Oh, and I shot Lucien in the face before he even got his first sentence out.

Edit: And I chose love. Fuck everything else, I want my dog back.
    I thought he was going to be a great character. A Robin Hood type guy or something. But all that bullshit at once and in seqence really ruined the story for me entirely. I mean, I was playing a good character. This jerk steals my health, makes fun of me for it, murders someone right in front of me, and right after that informs me he's told Lucien where I am. That there wasn't an option to bash his head in and drag him to where he was needed is pretty dang frustrating. That the other heroes seemed to accept him entirely was a slap in the face.

And I just learned he was responsible for the destruction of Oakvalle. What the fuck.

As far as people accepting him, the other 2 (Garth and Hammer) didn't really have a choice, and his townsfolk were all from Bloodstone, the land of whores and lawlessness.

As much as I despised him, he did manage to carve out a really great niche for himself in Albion.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    games shouldn't contain characters that aren't likeable. it ruins it.
    That's not what I meant at all. It was just so jarring that this clearly evil man petty much got to do whatever he wanted, while my character sat there like a meat puppet and went along with it. It was a very frustrating moment in game that had previously let me do whatever the crap I wanted. Even if those choices had concequences, they were always my choice.

That he antagonized me more than the actual antagonist seems wrong in my opinion. I can understand him being a total dick, but the focus was put on him way to close to the end of the game. If we had gotten to know his character better, even if he still was an asshole, I don't think it would have been nearly as shocking to me.

And about the ending, I don't really see the point in letting him take the kill, other than making the player angry. It felt to me as if they were trying to teach me a lesson or something, as if me listening to this guy's final words in an effort get as much as I can out of this game was wrong. I can see why lots of people shot him immediately, he was the villain, you're main purpose is to kill him. I wanted to hear the bastard beg, see if there was a way for redemption, or at least get information on his motivation straight from his mouth. Having this guy who was designed to be unlikeable take that kill, that final revenge for killing your sister, the main purpose of you picking up a sword and fighting Lucien, is just an extremly awful way to end the game.

The final wish really did save it a lot for me, again giving me the opportunity to make an actual, though choice.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Finished it today.
    Fuck Reaver. I've never actually disliked a character in a videogame as much as I dislike him. He killed Barnum, a hilarious character I was hoping to see more of in the DLC, and during the already anti-climactic final scene, he steals my kill, taking away any possible enjoyment I would have gotten from it. Fuck.

Christ, I hope we can see him again in DLC, and strangle him.

I was playing a Pure/Evil character on my first run. Gonna do it for my second, too. :D
    Sure Reaver's an evil, conniving bastard. But damn, I admired his style.
    Oh, and I shot Lucien in the face before he even got his first sentence out.

Edit: And I chose love. Fuck everything else, I want my dog back.
    I thought he was going to be a great character. A Robin Hood type guy or something. But all that bullshit at once and in seqence really ruined the story for me entirely. I mean, I was playing a good character. This jerk steals my health, makes fun of me for it, murders someone right in front of me, and right after that informs me he's told Lucien where I am. That there wasn't an option to bash his head in and drag him to where he was needed is pretty dang frustrating. That the other heroes seemed to accept him entirely was a slap in the face.

And I just learned he was responsible for the destruction of Oakvalle. What the fuck.

They accepted me. And I was right up there in evilness. Equal.
    I also had this eerie thought earlier. Considering I chose love, as an evil character, does that make me equivalent to Lucien? At least in some way? Good stuff. I think Lion Head got this game down pat, minus a few control issues with Will. :p

And, dear God, did Reaver really surprise you, there? Weren't you listening to all the stuff he was saying? The man's like to shoot somebody just because he's annoyed with them. See photographer.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes, but having not yet played an evil character, I must ask if there was any hint of them disliking what you do, or at least any opportunity for them to see your actions? If they had expressed their displeasure at your actions, but realized for the sake of the world you were needed, that's entirely different. However, my character and them were all good, or at least not evil, and it was a complete shift in a game that had been going in a set direction, yet this change was not actually treated as such, again, with the other heroes disregarding Reaver's nature. I can maybe attribute it to the fact they didn't witness his previous actions, but you'd think that my character would say "Watch out, this fucker would sell us out for just about anything."

It gave me a helpless feeling, that I couldn't do anything against him. I shouldn't be feeling that against Reaver, I should be feeling that against Lucien, and I did up to that point. They gave Reaver the personality and deeds of a main villain, yet didn't treat him as such and let all that motivation just sizzle out with no climax against him. If I am to believe my character is a human being with feelings, most likely my feelings, why was Reaver able to just leave in the end?

Kenninator on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yes, but having not yet played an evil character, I must ask if there was any hint of them disliking what you do, or at least any opportunity for them to see your actions? If they had expressed their displeasure at your actions, but realized for the sake of the world you were needed, that's entirely different. However, my character and them were all good, or at least not evil, and it was a complete shift in a game that had been going in a set direction, yet this change was not actually treated as such, again, with the other heroes disregarding Reaver's nature. I can maybe attribute it to the fact they didn't witness his previous actions, but you'd think that my character would say "Watch out, this fucker would sell us out for just about anything."

It gave me a helpless feeling, that I couldn't do anything against him. I shouldn't be feeling that against Reaver, I should be feeling that against Lucien, and I did up to that point. They gave Reaver the personality and deeds of a main villain, yet didn't treat him as such and let all that motivation just sizzle out with no climax against him. If I am to believe my character is a human being with feelings, most likely my feelings, why was Reaver able to just leave in the end?
    I think the problem is that you're trying to look at this from a conventional standpoint. Molyneux and Lionhead were trying to take that convention and spit on it. That's why I love this ending, and the story. Reaver is an evil bastard, and he gets away with it. You can do the same.

And I love how my first thought on Reaver's betrayal was "Damn! Well played! Time to kill a bunch of fools."

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ending and quest spoilers
    I kinda apreciated Reaver taking Lucien out as it allowed my goody two shoes character to see his revenge without the dark side points of being the one pulling the trigger in anger.

I really need to do a more evil playthrough for the knothole content. Assuming it's a decent chunk of gameplay I think I'll be picking it up, but after my good character went on whoring and drinking binge to get through the corruption door, married a whore to fill the hole left in his life from his dead family (needs of the many) and then wound up becoming a woman in order to escape his troubled life and start again, I think his story is done.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I rented this the other day and finally got around to trying it yesterday.

It keeps freezing. I think I’ve played a total of about 1 hour and have had four freezes in that time. Twice, the game froze within 5 minutes of starting (ie, I didn’t even get past Mungo’s bit about the mirror and the music box).

I was worried that maybe something was wrong with my 360, so I popped Gears of War 2 in there and proceeded to play without so much as a stutter for two hours. Just for fun I went back to Fable 2 this morning and again the damn thing froze within 10 minutes of me picking up the controller. I’ve managed to get out of Childhood, but I don’t really relish the idea of saving every 5 minutes just in case the game decides to lock up again.

What could be causing this?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It keeps freezing. I think I’ve played a total of about 1 hour and have had four freezes in that time. Twice, the game froze within 5 minutes of starting (ie, I didn’t even get past Mungo’s bit about the mirror and the music box).

I was worried that maybe something was wrong with my 360, so I popped Gears of War 2 in there and proceeded to play without so much as a stutter for two hours. Just for fun I went back to Fable 2 this morning and again the damn thing froze within 10 minutes of me picking up the controller. I’ve managed to get out of Childhood, but I don’t really relish the idea of saving every 5 minutes just in case the game decides to lock up again.

Sounds like a dirty disc. Fable II is very hard on the disc drive. Try installing the game and see if that helps.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Samphis wrote: »

Sounds like a dirty disc. Fable II is very hard on the disc drive. Try installing the game and see if that helps.
    Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Good suggestion - I'll buy it at a high price!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    re dlc and story spoilers
    I really hope the resurrection thing only relates to Barnum

no bringing back the dog kthnx

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the problem is that you're trying to look at this from a conventional standpoint. Molyneux and Lionhead were trying to take that convention and spit on it. That's why I love this ending, and the story. Reaver is an evil bastard, and he gets away with it. You can do the same.

And I love how my first thought on Reaver's betrayal was "Damn! Well played! Time to kill a bunch of fools."
    The people of Albion only tolerate dickery so much... which is why the guild was destroyed before Fable 2 begins.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The people of Albion only tolerate dickery so much... which is why the guild was destroyed before Fable 2 begins.
    Well, most of those heroes weren't the 'real deal.' My hero has slaughtered his way through mobs before, and Reaver has done a lot of shit too. I wish Fable I had brought out more heroes for comparison, however.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How the hell do you make money in this game? I've been whacking swords and chopping woods for ages.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    How the hell do you make money in this game? I've been whacking swords and chopping woods for ages.

Bartending pays the best out of the menial labour jobs. Otherwise, invest in some cheap property and stick the rent way up.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought the meat stall in Bowerstone market as well as some caravans in the gypsy camp..... these are good right? ANd by sticking the rent up won't I be shooting myself in the foot?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Bartending pays the best out of the menial labour jobs. Otherwise, invest in some cheap property and stick the rent way up.

Assassin jobs, if you lack in scruples.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought the meat stall in Bowerstone market as well as some caravans in the gypsy camp..... these are good right? ANd by sticking the rent up won't I be shooting myself in the foot?

Raising rent does increase your corruption, but if you're not worried about that, then go for it.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009

Assassin jobs, if you lack in scruples.

They were bugged for me, which sucks.

Tube on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Bartending job in Oakfield. Easy to time, easy to build a chain. I made around 40k in 20-30 min, and the only thing that broke my chain was me, stopping, so I could take the next job level.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Raising rent does increase your corruption, but if you're not worried about that, then go for it.

If the corruption is a problem, get the money you need and just eat a ton of vegetables after.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If the corruption is a problem, get the money you need and just eat a ton of vegetables after.

Easiest way to lose corruption but keeping rent up is to jack up rent on high-paying businesses like blacksmiths and taverns and make the rent on things like cheap houses and gypsy carts ridiculously low (down to 1 gold)

every time you get money everyone around you will hate you for like 2 seconds then be happy again

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do they ever get over you being a mass murderer? Or is the shouting just based on the purity level?

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Was was 100% pure/good and it took them like 2 weeks to stop calling me a murderer after I shot someone point blank in a bar

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ending spoilers:
    Maybe I'm dense, but what exactly is the deal with the music box? I get that it is magical, but was any particular reason provided as to why it was Lucien's bane?

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Was was 100% pure/good and it took them like 2 weeks to stop calling me a murderer after I shot someone point blank in a bar

Hmm, so I suppose it will take them a while to forget me shooting the dicks of half of Bowerstone...

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So installing the game to the HD seems to have cleared up the stability issues, and now it runs just fine. I've been messing around Bowerstone mostly, working the forge to earn a bunch of money; I bought a house in the Old City. I also bought some new furniture, but for some reason the stuff in my house is still the same crap that came with it. What do I have to do to fill my house with respectable furnishings?

Also, is there way to fiddle with the camera beyond the basic, up-down-left-right? And is it possible to actually aim with ranged weapons? Right now I'm just looking in the general direction of my foes and hitting Y.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1) Enter house redecoration mode from the sign outside and then you can swap each bit of furniture inside for something else of the same type (but presumably better quality) from your inventory.

2) Keep upgrading dextrous styles.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    1) Enter house redecoration mode from the sign outside and then you can swap each bit of furniture inside for something else of the same type (but presumably better quality) from your inventory.

2) Keep upgrading dextrous styles.
    Aha, thanks.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Finished this a week ago but just came back to it to play again as an scary evil character. Had to tone down the scary since it's very hard to get people to follow you
    to the sacrificial pit in the temple of shadows
    when they're fleeing in abject terror.

About the ending:
    I actually goofed this up. I did the whole music box thing, then sat back as Lucien's monologue got started, where you hold the gun on him. Well, I did something--I don't know what--to put the gun away which irked me so I tapped Y to pull it back out...and wound up blowing his nose through the back of his face.

Whoops. Oh well, I guess we can all go home now, right?

Screamline on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    So still no word on a PC version for this then?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    algorhythmalgorhythm Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thread is tl;dr as well as I am on vacation -- did they ever release a patch to fix all of the game-breaking issues (i.e. after meeting the thief guy, you can't do anything regarding actions?)

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How do I give money to beggars (assuming I am inclined to part with my hard-earned money)? Do I use the Gift expression?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How do I give money to beggars (assuming I am inclined to part with my hard-earned money)? Do I use the Gift expression?

yes, it's at the bottom

and man, I finally got the completionist achievement.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Screamline wrote: »
    Finished this a week ago but just came back to it to play again as an scary evil character. Had to tone down the scary since it's very hard to get people to follow you

About the ending:
    I actually goofed this up. I did the whole music box thing, then sat back as Lucien's monologue got started, where you hold the gun on him. Well, I did something--I don't know what--to put the gun away which irked me so I tapped Y to pull it back out...and wound up blowing his nose through the back of his face.

You didn't goof it up. You are actually allowed to do that. Or else..
    Reaver will shoot him

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yup.

I learned last night it's also how you get people drunk!

And then I learned that you need to plan WAY ahead to get the achievement for getting people drunk, because every bar in Albion only has 3 bottles of beer.

Yet when I bartend I serve HUNDEREDS of beers!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Yup.

I learned last night it's also how you get people drunk!

And then I learned that you need to plan WAY ahead to get the achievement for getting people drunk, because every bar in Albion only has 3 bottles of beer.

Yet when I bartend I serve HUNDEREDS of beers!
    5-star alcohol made that pretty easy.

The bum wines in fable 2 are made of failure. :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Screamline wrote: »

About the ending:

You didn't goof it up. You are actually allowed to do that. Or else..
    Reaver will shoot him
    Which is very unsatisfying. :P Otherwise, I've never been so conflicted with how I feel about a game. I still love playing it.

Started another character, going with Skill/will, as opposed to my last which was mosly strength except for full speed and the dodge roll. However, I just got Vortex 3, and she got huge and muscly for some reason. Anyone know if it was a glitch or something supposed to happen onced I reached that level in that spell? It makes sense I guess...

Kenninator on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

A gave some shit-head beggar 100,000 gold, and the mother fucker was out on the street the very next day asking for more. Goddamn alcoholic.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Apparition8Apparition8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone know how to delete one of your saved game slots?

Apparition8 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Remember the Hero number, go to dashboard, delete the save file

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.