As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mega Man ZX: today, The Advent was announced

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To lans:

TOP POSTING MUTHAFUCKA! DO YOU SPEAK IT?

if your going to rebump a thread like this put it on the top. please!

w-wha?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the link Lanz, not sure what Visc is talking about.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deswa wrote:
    Thanks for the link Lanz, not sure what Visc is talking about.

no problem and I'm not sure either.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is anyone surprised by this?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I doubt anyone is surprised, but the fact it doesnt use a number is rather odd. I just hope it doesnt pull a MMZ, I hated how they kept changing the mechanics of boss abilities and using faeries.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    they're almost certainly going to have to mix up the rewards of beating bosses, or they'll pull a metroid which... well, might be kinda boring ot get the same Biometals and same abilities from ZX.

I really find the title amusing though, with Inafune making more and more henshin hero references, I'm certain that it's a reference to the Advent Cards of Kamen Rider Ryuki

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    UltiUlti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yay! :D

Now I'll I've got to do is stop sucking in this one's endgame and I'll be all set for some sweet, delicious hype.

I just hope that in the next game, the enhanced mobility isn't going to be restricted to just one of the suits. Hx isn't a bad model, but it got really boring running around in that form for about 70% of the game.

Ulti on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope this one is more replayable than the first.

First time through, I loved it. It had a real feeling of exploration and adventure to it.

Second time, I didn't even finish, it just felt so restrictive...

At the very least, I hope they start you off with a loaded map or something...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope this one is more replayable than the first.

First time through, I loved it. It had a real feeling of exploration and adventure to it.

Second time, I didn't even finish, it just felt so restrictive...

At the very least, I hope they start you off with a loaded map or something...

Yeah that is one complaint i had. There was zero reason at all to go back and play it again.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    firesidefireside Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope they fix the exploration system in the new one. Like, either get rid of it, or make it not suck. I think I explored once and got to a boss door and had to backtrack because I didn't select that mission. What's the point of exploring if I can get to an area and have to backtrack just because I'm not on that certain mission? Either make it so I can go anywhere, and the missions just come up when I enter a certain area (like say I enter area H, and there is a mission for area H, I get some dialogue explaining what to do in area H, but if I leave and come back, I get the dialogue again), or just give me missions Mega Man style.

Also the map system was dumb as hell.

fireside on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ZX ADVENT SCANS AND INFOZ

69047vlphp016837122267lkr3.jpg
    69038vlphp016838122137laj7.jpg
    The story is said to take place many years after the battle with "Live Metal Model V" that took place in the previous game. Hunters looking for "lost technology" have assembled at ruins where wild machine lifeforms run rampant. Grey and Ashe (name spelling unconfirmed) are the protagonists in this game.

Grey: A 14 year old boy in cryogenic sleep at a certain laboratory. Though he awakens in the midst of a battle, he doesn't recall any knowledge of himself. He's attacked by Pandora who claims "I will dispose of the failed product," and, not knowing his circumstances, rushes out of the laboratory. In Grey's story, the boy, who had been asleep in a cold sleep facility, is informed by Pandora, who entered suddenly, that his name is Grey and he's a failure model Rockman. Attacked by the battle machine Pandora brought with her, Grey escapes from the place with a fallen hunter's gun, but...

Ashe: A 15 year old female ruins hunter. Taking a request from the alliance government "Legions" that controls all of the world, she goes after an illegal hunter who's stolen Live Metal Model A. Though fussy about money her sense of justice is strong, and she won't take requests that contain illegalities. In her story, Ashe goes after the illegal hunter who's air transporting Live Metal Model A. At that point she runs into Prometheus, who has the same goal as she does. Ashe, being called a hinderance by Prometheus, challenges him to a battle with her companions, but they're quickly defeated.

Live Metal Model A: A mysterious metal possessing a will that was excavated from a ruin by an illegal hunter. Responding to the voices of the protagonists when they're cornered by Prometheus and Pandora, it exhibits its hidden power. By equipping Live Metal Model A, the protagonists can transform into "Rockman Model A," the strongest Rockman that accumulates experience with each battle.

Gameplay: Untransformed, Grey and Ashe have the typical moves from the previous game, i.e. running around, crouching, crawling, etc. Unlike Vent and Aile, the two new protagonists are still able to attack when untransformed, seemingly with a standard gun. Transformed into Rockman Model A, the two receive all the standard action movements, such as dash jumping and climbing walls. Model A is also expected to boast "a variety of shot attacks," though all that's shown now is a typical charged shot, as well as a homing shot that targets multiple enemies.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I am very sure this is going to involve Axl somehow.

If it ties up some more loose ends, and features gameplay akin to Axl in X8, then I will be very happy indeed.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pandora seems to no longer be as Loli as she used to be.

Prometheus seems a little older too

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Makes sense, going by the first line of Atomic Fire's description there.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Holy crap it looks awesome.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was wondering how long it would take for them to announce the sequal to ZX.

Now I've just gotta finish ZX. I'm about an hour away from beating it but I just can't bring myself to.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh, it was announced a while back, but just the name.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Capcom should consider taking a page out of Konami's book with Portrait of Ruin and give you both characters to control at the same time.

At least, given how drastically different the intro stories are for these two characters, it sounds like they'll both be in the story. That kinda bugged me about ZX, how there was no Aile whatsoever in Vent's story and vice versa.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Capcom should consider taking a page out of Konami's book with Portrait of Ruin and give you both characters to control at the same time.

At least, given how drastically different the intro stories are for these two characters, it sounds like they'll both be in the story. That kinda bugged me about ZX, how there was no Aile whatsoever in Vent's story and vice versa.

It looks to me like Grey IS model A (since he has identical foot and chest armor, and is referred to by pandora as a rockman model, and his backstory has no metion of him coming across model A), while Ashe finds it in biometal form.

Maybe Grey's story ends with him becoming a metal, and Ashe's takes place after? Grey's story might explain why Model A exists, and if he really is a "failed" model, that might be why model A/Axl was never mentioned previously.

I remember someone on another forum suggesting that Vent and Aile are really the new Promethium and Pandora, which would explain a) why Promethius and Pandora look older, and b) why Vent and Aile are no longer present. Of course, that then begs the question what happened to the old Promethium and Pandora. I think there's too many plotholes there for such an theory to be valid, but it's such a great idea that i kinda I wish Capcom had killed off the original Promethius and Pandora at the end of ZX so it could work...

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It looks to me like Grey IS model A (since he has identical foot and chest armor, and is referred to by pandora as a rockman model, and his backstory has no metion of him coming across model A), while Ashe finds it in biometal form.

Maybe Grey's story ends with him becoming a metal, and Ashe's takes place after? Grey's story might explain why Model A exists, and if he really is a "failed" model, that might be why model A/Axl was never mentioned previously.

I remember someone on another forum suggesting that Vent and Aile are really the new Promethium and Pandora, which would explain a) why Promethius and Pandora look older, and b) why Vent and Aile are no longer present. Of course, that then begs the question what happened to the old Promethium and Pandora. I think there's too many plotholes there for such an theory to be valid, but it's such a great idea that i kinda I wish Capcom had killed off the original Promethius and Pandora at the end of ZX so it could work...

Grey and Model A: hmm, interesting

Pandora+Promethius: not likely and there's no real basis to have that happen. It's obvious they're going to be the main henchmen for someone, perhaps the Death to Model W/V's Dracula?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Okay, Fistleo can die one thousand times.

Or just once, because that'd be the death that counts. Gah. Purprill didn't bother me at all but Fistleo's weak spot is always RIGHT THERE.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

This is actually a pretty damn good idea. I might pass that notion around...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Hm, such is a possibility...

Though I do wonder, will there be other Biometals, or just the one? I mean, my...Second favorite part of ZX was all the biometals.(my favorite part being the glorious combination of transformation obviously inspired by various tokusatsu and anime series, and the Mega Man series) It would be a shame to lose that.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd expect it to be replaced by Axl's Copy ability, which seems demonstrated in one shot with a large orange character on screen and a different symbol beneath the life bar.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd expect it to be replaced by Axl's Copy ability, which seems demonstrated in one shot with a large orange character on screen and a different symbol beneath the life bar.
    Bonus bit: the thing's doing an effing Rider Kick (Faiz style) in that image too

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lanz wrote: »
    Bonus bit: the thing's doing an effing Rider Kick (Faiz style) in that image too

I had not noticed.

You are right.

This pleases me.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    *edit* DON'T READ IF YOU CARE ABOUT X8 SPOILERS because i can't work realspoilers in this newfangled forum.

Just be sure I get proper credit where credit is due. :P

Actually when I thought about this earlier, I remembered the part of X8 where Sigma refers to Axl as a "failed prototype" Combined with Pandora's reference to Grey as "failed" made me wonder if Weil's whole "make rockmen fight against one another" plot is going to turn out to be much more epic and grand than previously thought.

What better way to make a whole "Rockman war" than make any reploid capable of changing into a Rockman? If Intcreates wants to tie the Z/ZX plot into X7/8, I couldn't imagine a better way. With X5's references to Wily (and the pretty obvious hints that Wily IS Weil), it wouldn't be that crazy to assume Weil/Wily has been behind X6 through X8 and has been planning this whole thing since, well, X5 at the earliest?

Hell, maybe the Elf Wars were a sort of "Rockman War" that didn't turn out as planned, so Weil wanted a second try.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    *edit* DON'T READ IF YOU CARE ABOUT X8 SPOILERS because i can't work realspoilers in this newfangled forum.

Just be sure I get proper credit where credit is due. :P

Actually when I thought about this earlier, I remembered the part of X8 where Sigma refers to Axl as a "failed prototype" Combined with Pandora's reference to Grey as "failed" made me wonder if Weil's whole "make rockmen fight against one another" plot is going to turn out to be much more epic and grand than previously thought.

What better way to make a whole "Rockman war" than make any reploid capable of changing into a Rockman? If Intcreates wants to tie the Z/ZX plot into X7/8, I couldn't imagine a better way. With X5's references to Wily (and the pretty obvious hints that Wily IS Weil), it wouldn't be that crazy to assume Weil/Wily has been behind X6 through X8 and has been planning this whole thing since, well, X5 at the earliest?

Hell, maybe the Elf Wars were a sort of "Rockman War" that didn't turn out as planned, so Weil wanted a second try.

actually, regaurding Weil and Wily, Zan from one of the Rockman communities (LBD, do you remember his full screenname, I've forgotten it aside from how it vaguely sounds D: ) translated the Rockman Zero sourcebook (the English edition which comes here in a month or two)
    Zan wrote:
    The Maverick Wars:
    The following events detail the Maverick Wars up to the moment that it is ended by X.

2XXX AD:
    = The Maverick Wars continue to rage after the occurrence of the last game in the Mega Man X series (Japanese sources state "long-lasting" wars, American sources state "centuries-long" wars). The Maverick Wars were thought to be ever-lasting.
    = Dr. Weil and a female ancestor of Ciel is born in this time period, they were rivals, but both work at the same lab. Both desired to end the war, but each had a different method: She wanted to study Sigma Virus to find a cure, while Weil thought that all Reploids and those that easily argued to create conflicts, should kill eachother.
    = Zero after learning of the truth that he is infected and unwillingly spreading the Virus gives up his body for research purposes. He is put to sleep and his mind is seperated from it's body. *1
    = The Government of Neo Arcadia is established, apparently replacing the Federation Government.
    = Four Reploids are created based on the DNA of the legendary Maverick Hunter X.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, Wily and Vile/Weil are different entities. And Zan goes by Zan Sidera and San Sidera, depending on forum.

And I wouldn't even call that a spoiler, it's more like backstory.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Let it be known that I curse and envy you fellows with your long-standing communities and your insider scoops and your magic carpets.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Okay, just I just picked up this game recently, and I'm pretty damn disappointed. I think I actually hate the Metroid-ish setup of the world. I really just want to pick a level and kick some ass. None of this wandering about some area you've already been to twice trying to find an entrance to Area J or whatever.

Also, I was actually looking forward to using the X form a lot. This may seem like a stupid complaint, but after 4 Zero games, I was looking forward to just being "Mega Man" again. But it seems like I don't get to enjoy playing as X for 5 minutes before Capcom says, "Fuck you, you're Zero again, so deal with it!"

Maybe it will pick up a bit by the end, but so far, this is one of my least favorite MM games to date.

And since this thread is frequented by our resident Mega Man expert, I just wanna ask one slightly off-topic question.

Do either of the Mega Man X Collections run in progressive scan? I didn't see the PS icon on the back of the Gamecube version's package.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    Okay, just I just picked up this game recently, and I'm pretty damn disappointed. I think I actually hate the Metroid-ish setup of the world. I really just want to pick a level and kick some ass. None of this wandering about some area you've already been to twice trying to find an entrance to Area J or whatever.

Also, I was actually looking forward to using the X form a lot. This may seem like a stupid complaint, but after 4 Zero games, I was looking forward to just being "Mega Man" again. But it seems like I don't get to enjoy playing as X for 5 minutes before Capcom says, "Fuck you, you're Zero again, so deal with it!"

Maybe it will pick up a bit by the end, but so far, this is one of my least favorite MM games to date.

And since this thread is frequented by our resident Mega Man expert, I just wanna ask one slightly off-topic question.

Do either of the Mega Man X Collections run in progressive scan? I didn't see the PS icon on the back of the Gamecube version's package.

The metroid-ish thing is annoying, yes, but the game is still pretty good.

And you get to keep the X form if you use your Cleared save to play through a second time. Personally, I prefer all the cool ones to just plain old X/ZX.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked having different Biometals in ZX, but it seemed like I was always using either ZX. Sometimes I used PX if I was grinding health for my Sub-Tanks, sometimes HX for a little extra mobility, and sometimes FX if I felt jazzy. There was never a reason to use LX except for water levels.

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, Omega and the eight mavericks in Serpent Tower can kiss my ass, I'm never going to finish ZX D:

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    Also, Omega and the eight mavericks in Serpent Tower can kiss my ass, I'm never going to finish ZX D:

The serpent tower isn't too bad if you fill up your tanks when you can.

yalborap on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    So you only get to use neato blue biometal for like 15 minutes then?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    So you only get to use neato blue biometal for like 15 minutes then?

Yeah.

But I've heard that
    You can use it as much as you want after you beat the game.

Dunno if it's true, the final boss is way too hard for me.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah.

But I've heard that
    You can use it as much as you want after you beat the game.

Dunno if it's true, the final boss is way too hard for me.

You get to keep it on your next run through.
    Use HX on the final boss. I find it helps a lot.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote: »

Common complaints, though Model X is the most powerful game-breaking one in the game, "ZX is the most powerful Mega Man" story points be damned.

A better map, a better mission set-up, and more freedom of exploration would all help immensely. Here's hoping they figure that out for Advent.

As far as Models go, I often find myself spamming enemies with a rapid fire string of knife shots from Model PX.

Mega Man expert, yes. But that? That's a little out of my field of expertise. I'm told that the PS2 one doesn't have it, though.

As for using Model X again, you actually have to beat the game twice, once with each character, if I'm not mistaken.

And
    Model O can only be acquired in Normal mode or better.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mega Man expert, yes. But that? That's a little out of my field of expertise. I'm told that the PS2 one doesn't have it, though.
    Well, that's a shame, because I tried playing the Cube version on my HDTV, and my TV has a problem upscaling video running below 480i (and these games run at their original super-low resolution). So I guess no Mega Man X for me unless they release X1-3 on the Virtual Console.
    As for using Model X again, you actually have to beat the game twice, once with each character, if I'm not mistaken.
    Damn, I'm still not sure if I can stomach playing this game through once.

I guess a better map and a better mission setup would be nice for a sequel, but I think I'd rather have them do away with it altogether and go back to level based gameplay.

Dirty on