As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kylogue wrote: »
    Kylogue wrote: »
    So... I bought the game to see what all the fuss was about(I guess it's true what they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity) and I'm actually having fun.

The best thing is the combat system, I can see why it might not be to everyone's taste, but I like the idea of giving more input to a player. And yay tits(Wasn't there a controversy on how the game would have more than just tits showing?).

I'm not sure what you guys were expecting out of the game, but I thought the game was pretty solid... And while the universe never appealed to me much, I have to admit, it has won me over.

No, you're just a year late to the party. Everyone loved Age of Conan at first. Wait till you hit level 30 or so. Which does not take long.

Well, for the sake of the money I already spent... I hope after 30 the game is still enjoyable!

I've been pretty lucky with the ganking(probably because I'm on an RP-PvP server) but people are usually decent... That said, I joined a PvP server because I assumed there would be ganking involved

Also, I didn't find the loading to be that bad.

Tortage is an amazing experience. I don't regret playing AoC, it's just after Tortage, it quick de-volves into a very generic, boring MMO. I also think they make it TOO easy to travel. I had no focus, no idea what was going on in each land, cause every land had a quest to goto another land.

Not a very well structured game play at all.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A bit of advice to the people trying it out now. Skip the Stygian areas if you can. Head to Cimmeria and start leveling there once you get out of Tortage. The Cimmerian areas are awesome in terms of visual scope. Especially Conall Valley and Fields of the Dead. The other big area to level in at that range is in Stygia and tends to be very boring, since it's just a giant sea of sand interspersed with scorpions and bandits. It's good for farming equipment if you know what bosses to kill, but visually it can wear you down, since you're pretty much running across an entire desert to one or two quests, later on in the questlines there.

After that, head to the Wild Lands, or whatever they're called, to go tear up some Nemedians and werewolves. Once you finish them off you should be good enough to head to the Aquilonian capital, and do the Noble Districts.

Also, don't get lured into taking a million of the travel quests. They're there to introduce you to new areas. If you want to head somewhere, go pick one up on the way. They kind of went overboard on them, since there's multiple towns in each zone, usually, and each town has a quest linking the others to each other, and sometimes to towns that are outside of the zone. It's much better to do all the quests in one town that involve combat, and slowly branch out to other nearby towns from there.

Archonex on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I personally really liked the Stygian area. I had a lot of fun working up through the 20s in that area, especially the pyramid (obviously except for the broken aspects of it around release).

I will say that saying the game went downhill once you hit 30 isn't quite fair. I would say it was really in the 50-60 range seeing as that is about when the whole river of quests turned into a few puddles here and there. I had a lot of fun in Field of the Dead as well as whatever the mountains are that are right off of that zone. If it hadn't been for them just simply not finishing the game before releasing it I imagine it would have been a great game to stay with.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    I personally really liked the Stygian area. I had a lot of fun working up through the 20s in that area, especially the pyramid (obviously except for the broken aspects of it around release).

I will say that saying the game went downhill once you hit 30 isn't quite fair. I would say it was really in the 50-60 range seeing as that is about when the whole river of quests turned into a few puddles here and there. I had a lot of fun in Field of the Dead as well as whatever the mountains are that are right off of that zone. If it hadn't been for them just simply not finishing the game before releasing it I imagine it would have been a great game to stay with.

I'd say that the Stygian areas are terrible for stealth based classes, though, like the Assassin. The reason being that AoC uses a dynamic stealth system, where sticking to the shadows boosts your effectiveness to the point where you can't be detected. If you're in the sunlight it can really screw up your chances. Being that it's a desert there aren't many shadows to slink around in until nightfall. Then again, you can rectify that by waiting until nightfall to go out and do quests, if you have to worry about gankers and whatnot.

Conall Valley, or however it's spelled, is very heavily wooded. It's probably one of the best interpretations of a wooded area i've seen in any game. There's tons of ways to sneak around, by going from bushes, to tree to tree, to shadow to shadow. That place can be a nightmare for most players if a couple assassins, rangers, or barbarians are stalking you. Also, the insane view distance of the game makes it look awesome, and some of the quests literally make you climb up the side of a mountain, giving you views that make LoTRO look tame by comparison.

Then again, both work. It's just a matter of preference, really.

Archonex on
  • Options
    WildSpoonWildSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ya i just resubbed this as well. Starting fresh. The first night i played (thursday) was awesome fun. Game was doin great. But man, Saturday and Sunday nite have been garbage. My pc is good enough to get a constant 40-50fps in this game at all times. But my latency has been like a yoyo. one green box to 5 red boxes and a 5000+ms lag spike over and over and over. Its insane and basically unplayable as a level 5 croc kills my lvl 10 because the lag simply does not let me attack it. I dont get it. All other games and stuff are fine and lag free / normal. Anyone else get this issue? I'm on the Cimmeria server if it matters.

Really sucks too because i can tell theres lots of game here to enjoy but man i need to figure out this lag thing or ill quit again =/

EDIT: As of Monday the notes mention some server side fixes were made, and my lag spikes are now gone. Game was smooth as butter and had a great time.

WildSpoon on
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

PSN ID - WildSpoon
  • Options
    law573law573 Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Anyone considering Age of Conan should take alot of what they read here with a grain of salt. Only people currently playing can tell the state of the game. People who unsubscribed six months ago, can tell you what they didn't like back then, but know nothing about what's going on now. The game is stable, has new content (with much more in the next patch), re-subscribers and lots of new subscribers. My server (Cimmeria) is chock full of players and loads of fun. There is plenty to do after Tortage with a minimum of grinding. Those who tell you otherwise are speaking from a time period where some of their complaints were true.

Game launchs are problematic at best and AoC has tougher computer requirements than many games out there. If you condemn a game because it didn't launch smoothly, then no one would be playing WoW....

law573 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    law573 wrote: »
    Anyone considering Age of Conan should take alot of what they read here with a grain of salt. Only people currently playing can tell the state of the game. People who unsubscribed six months ago, can tell you what they didn't like back then, but know nothing about what's going on now. The game is stable, has new content (with much more in the next patch), re-subscribers and lots of new subscribers. My server (Cimmeria) is chock full of players and loads of fun. There is plenty to do after Tortage with a minimum of grinding. Those who tell you otherwise are speaking from a time period where some of their complaints were true.

Game launchs are problematic at best and AoC has tougher computer requirements than many games out there. If you condemn a game because it didn't launch smoothly, then no one would be playing WoW....

No, I resubbed to try it again, and it is almost exactly as it were 6 months ago.

Djiem on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, the bf and I are still having fun, we're running a HoX/ToS combo and tearing a lot of things up. Right now we are level 15, and trying to get past Tortage before our free month is up since that's where we hear the game changes and we want to see if we'll like that game. So far, so good, though.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's been discussed before, but there is a BIG difference between a poor launch and an unfinished game being launched. When a game launches and there are server crashes often, lots of new bugs, and so forth, that is a poor launch. When a PVP game launches w/out any real PVP, that is an incomplete game being launched. I don't think we've ever condemed AoC for the quality of it's launch. We've condemned it because they lied to us about what would be in it, no way around it.

Personally, I'm still waiting on the unique casting system promised.

In AoC you can easily make it up into the mid to late 50s without any real grinding needed. I don't know if its changed, but once I hit about 60, I could do maybe 3-5 quests, be 1/10 of the way through the level off of them, and then have to grind the rest, and repeat again at 61 and so forth. This is with going between the two zones that I could at that level for experience.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I just purchased AoC over the weekend (to have a secondary MMO when I want a small break from LoTRO) and, as most people have said, I am really enjoying it so far. Only reached level 14, so yet to get to the 'bad part' :P , but I will check back in here in about a month or so to update how I am still enjoying it.. or not :)

blindside044 on
  • Options
    PoppinHobbitPoppinHobbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm also going to give AoC a try. I got it new off amazon for $7 so what the heck. Gonna chop some people up for a month!

PoppinHobbit on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If the game is that cheap now, it's completely worth it. I'll reassert that while pre-50 most people liked the game, I have never seen a single person who got to 60 or so and was still able and willing to argue that the game was good. They just never finished the damn thing.

Do they have that dynamic pvp/guild warfare system that was supposed to be in at launch yet?

Edit: Just talked to a friend at Failcom. Yes, the city siege system is in place. No, it isn't that great. Quoth she: "If you're itching to try it again, wait a month or two."

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never understood why people said the part after Tortage was the bad part. To me, Tortage was the sucky part.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    I never understood why people said the part after Tortage was the bad part. To me, Tortage was the sucky part.

yeah, actually, I wasn't that impressed with tortage either. It was ok once - I dreaded making alts and having to do it again...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    TeokiyaTeokiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

yeah, actually, I wasn't that impressed with tortage either. It was ok once - I dreaded making alts and having to do it again...

A single starting zone was always a bad idea for longevity, seeing as many MMO players seem to either take a while to settle on a class or like playing lots of alts. I enjoyed Tortage, but I didn't want to play it again once I'd done it. :)

Teokiya on
    Teokiya wrote:
    (not to mention the smell of that store... PHEW).
    hehehe, that brought back fond memories... my mum used to hate coming into Games Workshop with me when I was a kid for that very reason, too much BO! ;)
    Ladies and gentlemen, the straw.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For me, the "cool" thing about Tortage was knowing that
    each of the archetypes had their own role in the storyline. It was a little bit wearying to do levels 1-20 with both a ToS and a Bear Shaman (though not as bad as I'd thought it would be, especially since the caster vs. melee play is so different), but I really want to do the storyline with a Rogue, Mage and Soldier now to see how it plays out.

At any rate: the bf has wandered off a bit, citing linear gameplay and lack of character customization options as being too annoying to continue. I'm levelling a BS now (24 atm) and what this mostly reminds me of is Guild Wars, with the instancing and the cutscenes that aren't quite cutscenes anymore.

I'm still nowhere near the fun cap of level 40 or thereabouts yet, though.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    mrhoohexmrhoohex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me and a friend have re subscribed, and we're about to use the free character swap to the USA pvp server,
    Tyranny.

We were on bloodspire, the Aus server, but a /who reveals 28 people playing at best... and there didnt seem much point playing on an Aus server in a game without timezones or better latency.

anyway, the OP hasnt been updated in ages, is there a PA clan thats active on Tyranny?

mrhoohex on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So like apparently they've come out with a big new patch with a couple of new end-game instances and whatnot and I seem to recall there's beeing a 700 meg patch a 2 or 3 months ago implementing a lot of new stuff.

I pre-ordered the game, got the cape, got the War Rhino and had the pre-release install. Unfortunately my computer wasn't good enough to handle it.

UNTIL NOW!!! FOR I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP! And I intend to give this game a chance, despite all the nay-sayers, considering how fucking hyped I was for it.

I'm from Europe, so I'm looking for a low-medium PVP server for a brand new character.

I don't want to be the ONLY person on the server, but I don't want to be on a server that's swamped with higher levels and twinks.

Cristo on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I just resubed to this against my better judgment to check out the new content. Things are not going well.. My install seems to be corrupted...

When I first installed it was downloaded a 400meg patch... then my connection wigged out and I had to restart the download, this time it was 4 gigs... I canceled that and did a verify/repair and launched the game again.. this time it was 5gigs...

I just let it finish but now graphics are seriously fubar. This does not bode well.

Oh well, once I get this figured out I'm hoping to find some PA people to play with, for at least a month.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The lack of replies in this thread is disheartening. Considering there's like 921109327 WoW threads that are super active.

Cristo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    probably has something to do with the fact that people actually play WoW still

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Honestly, if you're enjoying AOC don't come in here and ruin it for yourself. There are a LOT of people on these forums that played that game back at launch who would love to come in here and tell you why you're wasting your time. Why you'll be back here in two weeks just as disappointed. Why it's surprising the game still exists.

You're better off leaving this thread alone and enjoying your game. Nothing but bad mojo for AOC here, friend.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Honestly, if you're enjoying AOC don't come in here and ruin it for yourself. There are a LOT of people on these forums that played that game back at launch who would love to come in here and tell you why you're wasting your time. Why you'll be back here in two weeks just as disappointed. Why it's surprising the game still exists.

You're better off leaving this thread alone and enjoying your game. Nothing but bad mojo for AOC here, friend.

I'll take the hint.

Cristo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dunno i think Conan has a lot of potential. I think the game will be good, later on down the line after a few more content releases and maybe a rethinking of how their combat works (Since it doesn't work well in PVP.) .

Pirates of the Burning Sea was a game like this also. They revamped their entire avatar combat system, and people suddenly started flooding back into the game.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AoC just simply wasn't ready to be released and completely lacked the polish of the MMOs it was going to compete with (or was being compared to.) The first 20-30 levels of AoC emphasize this point quite well, seeing as the wheels fell off after level 30 when it came to content.

I highly doubt Funcom will bust out their time machine and actually fix old content, revamp their combat system, or make their interface a little less glass-chewey, but the majority of the people who played and quit AoC probably feel slighted by the bait-and-switch presentation of AoC at release, so even if they did magically fix the game it would be all for nothing.

That said, if you enjoy AoC that's cool, but it doesn't take it off the ice flow it's been floating on for several months now.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, my first 30 days are up and i'll have to say that the game(play) is pretty damn fun but, as mentioned before, there is little content after level 30 and it just makes the game boring trying to level anymore after lvl 30 (here come the 'I told you so' posts :P ). Though I do not regret purchasing the game and look forward to resubbing after a couple more content updates, which hopefully will come sooner than later. I don't see what the problem with the combat system is that you guys are talking about; that was one of the things that I really liked about the game. o.0 If I had someone to play along side with, I would of probably continued playing as that probably would of made the grind after 30 a lot less grindy. So I would still recommend this game to people (with a 'low on content atm' warning, but still fun to play :) )

and to Cristo: it probably has to do with the huge server merges they had, but playing from 1-30, there are A LOT of people playing. This game isn't dead just yet, especially if they keep coming out with content updates, that will bring back more people... like myself :) Lot of people ingame said they have seen this game grow more every week.... and plus a lot people in my guild where raiding and pvping at endgame, so I can say for almost certain, there are a good amount at endgame... that fought through the grind to get there :P

blindside044 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You were an avid supporter of the game and shunned us naysayers. Can I now say, "Told ya so!" or are you still pleased with it? ;)

Figgy on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

You were an avid supporter of the game and shunned us naysayers. Can I now say, "Told ya so!" or are you still pleased with it? ;)

I still think it's a fun game. But when the rest of your friends go on to find another game, one follows.

I still miss my Bear Shaman.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

and to Cristo: it probably has to do with the huge server merges they had, but playing from 1-30, there are A LOT of people playing. This game isn't dead just yet, especially if they keep coming out with content updates, that will bring back more people... like myself :) Lot of people ingame said they have seen this game grow more every week.... and plus a lot people in my guild where raiding and pvping at endgame, so I can say for almost certain, there are a good amount at endgame... that fought through the grind to get there :P

Sounds good ^_^

There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel :D

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For what it's worth, I'm now level 32 and still subscribed. I've been lax in playing for the past couple of weeks because I'm kind of burned out on MMOs in general (not playing WAR much atm either), but when I'm over the hump I still want to stick with it as I don't see the content slowing down just yet.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Conan's combat looks nice, but just doesn't work well with PVP i find. It unbalances the classes in favour of the ranged one i found. Especially when you get pinned down, you basically lose every single time because you have no counter for it. The open PVP servers make it annoying because you run into the gank squads of these guys.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder how the fact that Funcom lost 23million dollars and the CEO quit will affect further development on AOC.

http://www.destructoid.com/funcom-cfo-resigns-after-reporting-23-3-million-dollar-loss-122578.phtml
    Funcom keeps slipping. The company responsible for the MMO Age of Conan has reported a 23.3 million dollar fourth quarter loss. The CFO that delivered the bad news, Olav Sadnes, has since resigned.

It’s unclear if Funcom will take any extra measures to trim or bolster Age of Conan in the wake of the financial news. As Gamasutra mentions, Funcom recently closed 31 of its original 48 servers -- a mammoth slash for an MMO that reported big user numbers in its fledgling months. Funcom is now tasked with getting people back into their game without having to spend loads of cash.

Perhaps more intriguing is what may happen to the Xbox 360 port of Age of Conan. Will work continue on the already substantially delayed game? We reached Funcom for comment and have yet to receive a response.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't except the 360 version to ever show up.

Consoles don't maintain their online user base very well for the most part anyways so what's the point.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Remember how this game was supposed to be DX10? Remember how it says so on the box? Remember how it was supposed to be patched in a couple months after launch?

Oh man.

Figgy on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Under 100k subs now.
    I wonder if it will survive 2009.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So at higher levels, do you have to hit like fifteen keys to use an attack? Because that was the impression I got and that seems...awful. Especially for PVP.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So at higher levels, do you have to hit like fifteen keys to use an attack? Because that was the impression I got and that seems...awful. Especially for PVP.

Yes

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Yes

Supposedly not so anymore. They've gone through and shortened all the combos. I'm only 45 but I remember when I left I had a few combos that were 5 keys long, now none are more than 3.
    (Also, the combos are kinda buffered from the keyboard input, I don't know exactly how to explain it but you don't have to having the timing of say Street Fighter to pull these off, you get TEXAS amount of time to hit the keys, and if you screw up the cool down for the combo is significantly shorter than if you had pulled off the combo successfully. It's def not for everyone though. )

I must say I've only be resubbed for about two days and I'm having fun. The game runs much better than it did, my average FPS on High settings is 40-45 (in indoor areas it can get as high as the 100's, it's mainly the view distance of outdoor areas that makes the FPS hit) and can drop to 30's and MAYBE 25 if I'm a large group and there are a lot of spell effects, thankfully there is an option to turn off partcle effects if this gets to be a problem.
    (EDIT: should probably mention I'm running a 8800GT, C2D 3Ghz, and 2Gigs RAM)

I haven't done any PVP yet but I just joined a guild with a T3 city and hope to get in a bit of PVP soon just to see how it goes.
    Massive PVP is in the game and from what I heard it works but still needs work.

The game still has the ocasional glitch here and there, I had one quest I couldn't turn in but a GM helped me with that.

I did hit a lul in quests at 44 but then I moved areas and now I have too many quests to keep track of.

In its current state I'd say it's a pretty solid PvE game, in another update or so I'd have no trouble recomeneding it to someone who likes PvE, I'll have to withhold judgment on PvP untill I participate in some but I have a feeling it'll be a bit longer before PvP will be as polished as people coming from games like WoW or WAR expect.

tl:dr Resubbed and so far having fun.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The actual mass-PVP really isn't in the game yet. They released some new shit, but so far the city sieges are fairly crappy...

Don't get your hopes up for that. I did have a lot of fun just hunting people when I played my ranger. It was on the RP PVP Server, and I would hunt people as they quested. When they died, I had an emote macro that read:

"As Penn slips off into the shadows once more, a small tattered note falls to the floor"

The word "note" was clickable, and when you clicked it a small window would pop up with a poem I wrote... kinda simply little verse about being a silent killer or some such.

Most people got a real kick out of it, but some people would /tell profanities at me and call me a pussy fag for killing them, then they'd say I was a pussy fag for dropping a poem... I'd usually just say, "You're on an RP server. You're also on a PVP server."

Ah good times in AOC.

Figgy on
This discussion has been closed.