As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

• Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SulSeeker wrote: »
    So, found out half a mined out Z-level will bring a 3.4ghz Core I7 to it's knees. :x This game needs to become multi-threaded like yesterday.

That shouldn't be the case. Open areas are easier for pathing to work and is less restrictive. The issue might be having to check for cave-in. Try turning that off to see if it does anything.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    So I've had one noble with me all along who was doing the book keeping, trading, and other social nonsense. I just so happened to name him Henroid. He had a fit of weird mood and claimed a craftsman shop. Damn it. Then he started running around, wildly collecting some stones, bones, and wood, and finally started working on a secret project. Ooohhh!

When it was all said and done, he made an idol of some vague sort, and became a Craftsman instead of a noble. And along with that, started doing the legendary flashy thing. Wowza.

A trade caravan arrived, and shortly after some migrants came up. Population is at 69, and now Henroid is the first elected mayor of the fort. I've appointed JJ to be my sheriff, and the fort watch is now available. How awesome.

Re: What do military guys do.

If you press "m" to go to the military menu then view the details for a squad (your guys are organized into squads right?) you can switch them between Active and Stand Down. (also be sure to set them to sleep in room rather than barracks).

When active they go to their currently designated rally point / patrol rout and stand around. When standing down it goes like this:

If armed with crossbows: If there is an archery target and wooden or bone bolts available they will go practice their archery. This raised their marksdwarf skill over time. Otherwise they stand around in your meeting hall / statue garden / zoo / well room and their social skills with slowly increase over time.

If armed with melee weapons (or unarmed): If there is a designated barracks (from an armor stand or weapon rack) they will go there and spar. This will raise their weapon skills and (if they have the right equipment) their armor and shield use skills. There is also a chance they will get wounded (possibly fatally) during training. Note that in the current version wounds to the spine and neck never heal and any wound to the spine or neck prevents a dwarf from sparring. Therefore, any wound to the spine or neck will permanently disable a dwarf from ever sparring again (though they can practice with crossbows and do other things).

The better their weapons and the worse their armor the more likely it is to get wounded during training. Remember weapons (in terms of material) go something like

Silver / Copper / Wood: 50% damage
    Bronze: 75% damage
    Iron: 100% damage
    Steel / Obsidian: 125% damage

Damage is further modified by quality. A masterwork is something like 2x damage on top of the above.

So, based on the above, raw recruits with no armor training with obsidian or steel weapons = blood everywhere. Expect lots of death by punctured lung.

To keep casualties low due to training the best approach is to get a squad fully equipped with steel armor (probably chainmail at first just because plate slows you down soooo much if your armor use skill is low) before they start training. You can also just give your guys copper or wooden weapons while training though this takes some management. Basically, tell your guys to take off all their armor / weapons. Then go to the Stocks screen and Forbid any weapons you don't want used right now. Then tell them to reequip themselves.

If there is no barracks they will stand around in your meeting hall etc... and raise their social skills.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    When is toady releasing that armies shit he is working on?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Going to be a few more months before the next release.

Edit: the last couple days of the dev log have been about fixing the problem I mentioned above with some wounds never healing etc...

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Steel / Obsidian actually do 133% damage I believe. Obsidian is should break faster but due to a bug it doesn't so if you can make some obsidian swords then you should! Dont use them for training though.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, in general melee weapons are not that great compared to machine guns (aka: crossbows). Marksdwarves are murderists extraordinare.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Time to start having them train. I totally overlooked the archery target somehow.

Edit - What becomes of the wooden / bone bolts used?

Henroid on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Time to start having them train. I totally overlooked the archery target somehow.

Destroyed.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009

They are destroyed.

But wooden / bone bolts only do 50% damage anyway. You don't want in your quiver when shit hits the fan.

Edit: Also, even if your guys "miss" the target it is impossible to accidentally hit someone else (or the ever present cats) when shooting at an archery target. I've seen one very kewl setup where the archery targets are in the dining room so the bolts are constantly flying over the heads of the diners.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Friend of mine had a river full of carp. He stationed all his idlers next to it. As we watched, dwarves would move one square into the river, and disappear.

So much blood underwater.

Also a miner who was injured by a collapse lost use of his legs, so he crawled to the top of a shaft and jumped.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Copper ore is so common I generally just crank out a ton of copper bolts for military use. I'd rather use the bone / wood to skill up.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I loaded up Oceanside at the start of year 206. I'll be starting tomorrow on it, but wanted to get a look around and see the current state of things... Get an idea of what I needed to attend to, how we might further develop the glass city, etc...

BTW, the reports of my death have been grossly exaggerated.

In any case... oh, nice, we have someone doing engravings? Very cool... hmm, a square. A pictures of mechanisms. The founding of the fortress. All very.... wait, what's this?

dwarfort002.png

I know what I'm getting Andrew Ryan for Dwarfmas this year.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think it is an analogy. Anndrew Ryan is really terrified of common folk(cockroaches) rising up and taking it from the elite.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    hm

could you rig a system where a column of rock is suspended above a stairwell such that, were enemies to flood into the stairs, you could drop the column and have it crash down through, killing everybody? Or do the stairs count as a solid floor

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    hm

could you rig a system where a column of rock is suspended above a stairwell such that, were enemies to flood into the stairs, you could drop the column and have it crash down through, killing everybody? Or do the stairs count as a solid floor
    That is the most terrifying thing I can image and I pray to god that such a machine cannot be constructed.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You might be able to build some grates over the stairs, store stones on them, then setup a lever or pressure plate to deactivate and open the grates so the stones fall. I have no idea if that would actually work though.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In my new fort the liason from the Mountainhomes was trying to have a meeting with my broker, who was busy deconstructing a floor tile... of course the Liason decided to stand on it. Fell two stories and broke his upper body. Now the caravan's left without him, I think we're in for an exciting winter!

EDIT: Hmm, he recovered and now he's working on an export agreement. I guess he's not going to kick my ass or anything.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tehmarken wrote: »
    So my fortress has almost 50 people. Yay. I've lost 2 to wild life (they were migrants who got killed on their way in), and one went crazy, stripped down naked, and a half year later he finally died of thirst. Right now, one of my guys is isolating himself from society. And I needs me a sheriff! I've already armed my military to the teeth with crossbows. I need some cut-able stone to make swords, since I have no anvil.

I built a mill using the stylish design thing linked above, but it didn't work. I did construct the mill itself first though, and I didn't know you could go mill on one level and windmill immediately above it.

I wonder if there are any LP's of this game. Good ones, that is.

Boat. Murdered.

You misspelled Oceanside.

Did I miss an actual LP for Oceanside somewhere? If so I do apologize.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    hm

Use a pillar to hold up the column and link the pillar to a lever.

The hard part is anticipating how quick the lever gets pulled and how fast the pillar collapses.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So my fortress has almost 50 people. Yay. I've lost 2 to wild life (they were migrants who got killed on their way in), and one went crazy, stripped down naked, and a half year later he finally died of thirst. Right now, one of my guys is isolating himself from society. And I needs me a sheriff! I've already armed my military to the teeth with crossbows. I need some cut-able stone to make swords, since I have no anvil.

I built a mill using the stylish design thing linked above, but it didn't work. I did construct the mill itself first though, and I didn't know you could go mill on one level and windmill immediately above it.

Boat. Murdered.

Well, it's not really a "LP" in the sense that Boatmurdered was, but we do have a progression fort named Oceanside going right now.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    So I loaded up Oceanside at the start of year 206. I'll be starting tomorrow on it, but wanted to get a look around and see the current state of things... Get an idea of what I needed to attend to, how we might further develop the glass city, etc...

In any case... oh, nice, we have someone doing engravings? Very cool... hmm, a square. A pictures of mechanisms. The founding of the fortress. All very.... wait, what's this?

dwarfort002.png

I know what I'm getting Andrew Ryan for Dwarfmas this year.

No you most definitely died. Check the graveyard area on the lowest level.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ekkosangen wrote: »

Boat. Murdered.

Well, it's not really a "LP" in the sense that Boatmurdered was, but we do have a progression fort named Oceanside going right now.

I'm aware of it, just wasn't sure if there was a mysterious more detailed version hidden amongst the ruins of the internets I somehow missed. 8-)

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    You might be able to build some grates over the stairs, store stones on them, then setup a lever or pressure plate to deactivate and open the grates so the stones fall. I have no idea if that would actually work though.

Falling items don't do damage.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I ended up in the possession of blood and vomit stained spider-silk clothing of various assortments, a couple perfectly clean, and it helped me trade for my first anvil. My first two anvils. And a ton of seeds.

Good timing on the caravan too, because one of my migrants was a metalsmith and being out of work made him depressed, and as soon as the forge was made he claimed it, took some iron and wood, and locked himself away in secret!

Edit - I'm not quite sure I understand how to do something.

I found an underground watersource in my mine shaft. I've set up some emergency floodgates (as I'm scared shitless the digging that discovered it will someday mean it'll just burst). I want to make this water source accessible. I know I've already dug out plenty of space above it, and there's a layer of my quarry that's over where I discovered it. How do I build a well, or should I channel above it, next to it and then dig it out, or what?

Henroid on
  • Options
    SorcySorcy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I tried to get back into this game, and the first year already was a bust. No trees (damn, the whole valley was green from the region view, where is all the shrubbery gone?), no immigrants (never had THAT happen before) and when the traders came I found out that my new computer is so fucking fast, that it takes about one tenth of the time for them to shimmy off that it took with my old computer. So no trades.

That's one fortress that has "suckage" written all over the front entrance.

Sorcy on
    Ozymandias+X.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Erm, your compy is so fast the traders left quickly? What, does the game operate like DOS Warcraft 2 on post-95 systems, where everything moves very fucking fast?

If you had no trees or plants, you chose the area. You can read the information on the left side when looking at the three maps.

All my forts, including my current non-trial (lrn2ply) fort, missed the first set of migrants. And speaking of, for some reason despite managing things better my current fort missed like the third immigrant set. Weird.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in the second spring of my new fort and sorely missing the immigrants who failed to show up last year. Everything is going pretty well but I've got too much work and too few dwarves.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    hmxmoss wrote: »

No you most definitely died. Check the graveyard area on the lowest level.

I looked through all the deceased units in the units list and didn't see my name there... and the living 'hmxmoss' certainly looks like the ranger I once knew. I'll check the graveyard when I start it later today... but I think whoever is dead and using my name, if true, is an imposter.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I ended up in the possession of blood and vomit stained spider-silk clothing of various assortments, a couple perfectly clean, and it helped me trade for my first anvil. My first two anvils. And a ton of seeds.

Good timing on the caravan too, because one of my migrants was a metalsmith and being out of work made him depressed, and as soon as the forge was made he claimed it, took some iron and wood, and locked himself away in secret!

I found an underground watersource in my mine shaft. I've set up some emergency floodgates (as I'm scared shitless the digging that discovered it will someday mean it'll just burst). I want to make this water source accessible. I know I've already dug out plenty of space above it, and there's a layer of my quarry that's over where I discovered it. How do I build a well, or should I channel above it, next to it and then dig it out, or what?

To build a well, simpy channel one layer down into the top of the water source, and build the well on the channeled space. You'll need blocks, a rope, mechanisms, and a bucket. The rope might be a little hard to come by, if you haven't bought any in trade yet. Make it either at the smithy (chain) or from processed plants (clothier shop, i think). If you've been farming up pig tails, they should do the trick.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »

To build a well, simpy channel one layer down into the top of the water source, and build the well on the channeled space. You'll need blocks, a rope, mechanisms, and a bucket. The rope might be a little hard to come by, if you haven't bought any in trade yet. Make it either at the smithy (chain) or from processed plants (clothier shop, i think). If you've been farming up pig tails, they should do the trick.

It's worth noting that you want your water source to be two or more layers deep underneath your well. If it's only one layer (as in, only one z-level -- not 1/7 depth on the z-level), then your dwarves will complain about drinking dirty water. Multiple z-levels of water source cause the water to, I guess, deposit its dirt on the bottom.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Screw that, I just channeled the river into the base of the mountain, and dug a path down from my fort to it. Presto.

Edit - At least I won't have to go too far when battling carp now.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SorcySorcy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, it's not "Old DOS Game" fast, but it's definitely faster then on my old system. I got the "Traders will be leaving soon" message and thought "oh well, there is still enough time to move some stuff to the trade post" and BAM, off they went.

Sorcy on
    Ozymandias+X.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, this game has consumed my soul. With AWESOME

I went through the tutorial that Tycho linked through on the main page, so I've got a pretty good replica of that fortress set up. I'm up to 100 dwarves now and it's running pretty sad at 30fps. Silly crappy laptop.
    I'm in the 4th year and I haven't gotten any seiges yet. I think I'm going to start killing the caravans just to piss off the neighboring civs. Plus I'm working on a magma chute of death and burning:
    My entrance tunnel sticks out from the hillside about twenty squares. It's completely filled with traps, but I put a draw bridge on the end of it, so when invaders come I'll pull up the bridge and they'll stand around outside like idiots. Then, the tunnel I built one Z level above the entrance will burst forth with lava-hot magma! AHAHAHAH crispy goblins!
    Either that or I fill my fort with magma and everyone dies.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dkarrde wrote: »

It's worth noting that you want your water source to be two or more layers deep underneath your well. If it's only one layer (as in, only one z-level -- not 1/7 depth on the z-level), then your dwarves will complain about drinking dirty water. Multiple z-levels of water source cause the water to, I guess, deposit its dirt on the bottom.

I was under the impression that all wells purified water. Is this not the case?

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dkarrde wrote: »

I was under the impression that all wells purified water. Is this not the case?
    I would think of it this way...

When you have 1 z floor under your well, the bucket has to hit the bottom of the floor to get the water. this scares up the silt and makes the water muddy. if you have several z floors of wellspace, your bucket will stop on the 2nd or 3rd floor and get water, but not hit the bottom to bring up silt.

Toady one strikes again with over-complexity

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the DFWiki refers to such design elements as "excruciatingly exact". Case in point: Steel fabrication. Dear god I thought it was complicated enough back in the 2D days, but now it's like taking a metallurgy class.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that, as my Fortress posses no iron, coal or flux anywhere in its structure.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TheKoolEagle got possessed and took over a carpentry shop (the one I allowed only him to work at anyhow) and went to work when he grabbed a single stack of logs.

The result?

legendarybarrel.jpg

Henroid on
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheKoolEagle got possessed and took over a carpentry shop (the one I allowed only him to work at anyhow) and went to work when he grabbed a single stack of logs.

The result?

legendarybarrel.jpg

You can never have too many barrels.

Spindrift on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I guess my dwarves are losing an emotional war. We had our first actual battle 3 years in... 10 goblins against about as many military dorfs.
    It was a pretty tense little skirmish but ended up a victory. Sadly about 5 guys bit the dust and now everyone is moping about and having a terrible time, throwing tantrums and what not.

To make things slightly worse, some retarded child has been trying to move an object that he cant reach for like 2 years, and i cant figure out how to fucking kill him.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Guysmiley777Guysmiley777 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This game is EVIL!

I started playing last Friday, and I'm now really getting to the point where I understand z-levels, stairs, fortress defense and the art of working with water without flooding EVERYTHING.

The horrible part about it is: 5:00PM *blink* 8:00PM *blink* 11:30PM *blink* 4:15AM?!? I have to keep something going in the background (movie, podcast, whatever) just so I don't forget to breathe.

edit: That link to the Boatmurdered story is gonna get me fired for cackling at work.

Guysmiley777 on