Movie Release Awareness for April '09

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    gah... I hate when stuff like this happens. Originality gets crushed for Blank Blank 5...
    I'm not sure what movie you're referring to, but something isn't original just because it isn't a sequel.

Yes, but something being a sequel automatically makes it unoriginal. Regardless, I'm sorry if you felt like I was speaking in absolutes, I'll be sure to qualify everything I say so you don't get confused.

yeah, godfather 2 was fucking terrible

I didn't realize something being unoriginal was automatically bad. Or are you and Bama just using some automatic post generator and then pasting it into a response?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd say most sequels are similar to the originals for more reasons than recurring characters.

It's not like there was a real chance of the Fast & the Furious sequel being about something other than racing cars.
    Of course, there were films about racing cars long before the "original" Fast & Furious.

Bama on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd say most sequels are similar to the originals for more reasons than recurring characters.

It's not like there was a real chance of the Fast & the Furious sequel being about something other than racing cars.
    Of course, there were films about racing cars long before the "original" Fast & Furious.

But it was one of the first films about modern street racing, wasn't it?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

But it was one of the first films about modern street racing, wasn't it?
    It may have been; I honestly don't know.

Perhaps this was one of the first films about racers stealing uh... what was it from the trailer? Gas? :P

Bama on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Adventureland was great. Not what I expected, but very enjoyable for what it was. I love a comedy that isn't afraid to be more.

Sad that it came in number 6... even sadder that it appear Fast and Furious is like, the holy grail of 2009 movies. Kill me know.

Seriously, how in god's name did Fast & Furious pull down $72 million? It's almost double the record for an opening in April, and it's the fourth in an relatively old and not especially popular serious.

Because Fast & Furious was fucking awesome. At least for what it was. And really, it's not so much the fourth in a relatively old and not especially popular series, it's the long awaited second movie following up a fairly popular one. I think a lot of people (like myself) that never even considered watching the other two (not even on video) are showing up for this one, because it's the movie that should have come out five years ago.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    As long as you realize you've just defended a movie starring Paul Walker... if you can sleep at night with that, more power to you sir.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    As long as you realize you've just defended a movie starring Paul Walker... if you can sleep at night with that, more power to you sir.

I sleep just fine. :P

EDIT: And I like to think of it as starring Vin Diesel, thankyouverymuch.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    not much better
    if it weren't for pitch black i'd have no respect for the guy
    oh wait, chronicles of riddick happened...
    yep, no respect.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He was pretty good in Boiler Room too, and he was also the voice of the Iron Giant.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Van Diesel was great in Find Me Guilty.

thanimations on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    So yesterday I saw Never Back Down.

It was pure terrible genius. One of the best worst movies ever. so funny.

ha, I need to throw this on my queue.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Van Diesel was great in Find Me Guilty.

He was in Saving Private Ryan for like 4 minutes as well.

Ponge on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    Adventureland was great. Not what I expected, but very enjoyable for what it was. I love a comedy that isn't afraid to be more.

Sad that it came in number 6... even sadder that it appear Fast and Furious is like, the holy grail of 2009 movies. Kill me know.

Seriously, how in god's name did Fast & Furious pull down $72 million? It's almost double the record for an opening in April, and it's the fourth in an relatively old and not especially popular serious.

Because Fast & Furious was fucking awesome. At least for what it was. And really, it's not so much the fourth in a relatively old and not especially popular series, it's the long awaited second movie following up a fairly popular one. I think a lot of people (like myself) that never even considered watching the other two (not even on video) are showing up for this one, because it's the movie that should have come out five years ago.

damn straight.

Dman on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So i have the choice of seeing a few movies tonight.

I've narrowed into down to Adventureland, I love you man, Knowing and Duplicity. Though the last 2 are a long shot. It's really between adventure land and I love you man.

What say ye debate and discourse?

Quick question though, do either of them have pretty graphic sex scenes? because the person I'm seeing this with could make it awkward ( I still can't look my sister inlaws dad in the face after seeing Watchmen with him).

edit: looks like you guys actually liked Fast and Furious, was it really that good?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sexual references in Adventureland and I Love You Man, but no graphic sex. The worst you get in Adventureland is the main character getting a boner in the pool (so you can't see it), and the worst in I Love You Man is a conversation about blowjobs.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    basically if you like the fast and the furious, you'll like fast and furious
    if you like movies with, y'know, a plot, you might want to pass it up.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So i have the choice of seeing a few movies tonight.

I've narrowed into down to Adventureland, I love you man, Knowing and Duplicity. Though the last 2 are a long shot. It's really between adventure land and I love you man.

What say ye debate and discourse?

Quick question though, do either of them have pretty graphic sex scenes? because the person I'm seeing this with could make it awkward ( I still can't look my sister inlaws dad in the face after seeing Watchmen with him).

edit: looks like you guys actually liked Fast and Furious, was it really that good?

It's not like it's going to win best picture or best actor, but it's fun. If you liked the first movie (the fast and the furious) and you like vin diesel's other movies and you will like this movie. It is everything I could have asked for in a fast and furious movie and I enjoyed it very much.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    THe only thing I could ask for in a Fast and Furious movie is a quick acting, painful poisonous gas to slowly fill up the theater as it played.

I vote Adventureland, but I haven't seen I Love You, Man yet...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    THe only thing I could ask for in a Fast and Furious movie is a quick acting, painful poisonous gas to slowly fill up the theater as it played.

Were you once part of a focus group for Gigli?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Gim wrote: »

Were you once part of a focus group for Gigli?

Nah... if I were, I would have demanded they both die at the beginning.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Adventureland and I Love You, Man are such different movies, it depends on what you're looking for. The former is a bit smarter and emotional. The latter has emotion in that Apatow way, but it doesn't feel very authentic to me. On the other hand, I Love You, Man is consistently funnier. So I guess it depends on whether you want a drama with some humor, or a comedy with some drama.

thanimations on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He was pretty good in Boiler Room too, and he was also the voice of the Iron Giant.

Boiler Room was such an utterly mediocre movie filled with some incredibly decent performances.

As much as I liked Fast & Furious, I agree with this statement almost entirely. The biggest test for if you will enjoy F&F is whether you enjoyed the first movie. Period. If you did not, you will not enjoy this one. If you did, you almost certainly will enjoy this one.

And no, you do not watch F&F for the intricate plot, gripping drama, or top-notch performances. You watch it to see muscle cars kick the shit out of ricers and vice versa, to see absurdly over-the-top action sequences that may or may not involve said cars, and to watch Vin Diesel punch people. Like, in the face.

But see, I like movies with, y'know, a plot. I've even been known to watch foreign movies with plots. Like, with subtitles and everything. But I also like action movies. Go figure.

Fast & Furious kicks ass. The end.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Saw Knowing yesterday.

Eh.

A few truly horrifying effects sequences, but it's fairly predictable. The waffles in my head between "Meh" and "cop out".
    Doesn't the movie end with the apocalypse?

How could that possibly be a cop-out?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I read a spoiler that says,
    aliens save the main characters from the apocalypse.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read a spoiler that says,
    aliens save the main characters from the apocalypse.

Spoiler for the end of Knowing
    Kind of. The kids are saved, Nic Cage and family... not so much. While it's rare to see the main cast annihilated in a wave of fire, the story can basically be summed up as "any sufficiently advanced technology is indestinguishable from magic... oh, and some aliens who can see the future predicted a bunch of horrific events, communicated them to the few people who could hear them, driving some nearly insane, and rescued a small portion of humanity from the apocalypse. Also, these aliens resemble angels, and the rescued are left near a giant glowing tree (of knowledge?). Religion and our survival rest almost squarely upon their shoulders?"

Edit: sorry about the broken tag.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw Adventureland this weekend. It was ok, not as funny as I thought. It was also like watching a long episode of the Office - the characters were so awkward in some scenes it hurt to watch. A rental.

Rubick on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Paul Walker was in a pretty fucking awesome movie a year or two ago that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of right now. Ah, Running Scared is what it was called.

edit: Adventureland was pretty fantastic. I have no problem agreeing with the reviewer from CHUD that said it reminded him a lot of Freaks and Geeks.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think the most important difference between Adventureland and Freaks & Geeks is
    the fact that the main character gets the girl in the end, whereas in F&G and real life you'd lose the girl but at least have learned from the experience.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Paul Walker was in a pretty fucking awesome movie a year or two ago that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of right now. Ah, Running Scared is what it was called.

edit: Adventureland was pretty fantastic. I have no problem agreeing with the reviewer from CHUD that said it reminded him a lot of Freaks and Geeks.

I've heard Running Scared was good... but I can't bring myself to watch anything with PW in it except Pleasentville. And he only has like, 10 lines in that movie.

I think he's just atrocioous as an actor... but hey, maybe he did something good.

In regards to Rubick, I didn't think Adventureland was anything like the Office, because it seemed far, far more realistic. I can see myself or someone I know doing everything in Adventureland.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I've heard Running Scared was good... but I can't bring myself to watch anything with PW in it except Pleasentville. And he only has like, 10 lines in that movie.

I think he's just atrocioous as an actor... but hey, maybe he did something good.

In regards to Rubick, I didn't think Adventureland was anything like the Office, because it seemed far, far more realistic. I can see myself or someone I know doing everything in Adventureland.

I cannot imagine living in a world so cold and pretentious that one cannot enjoy Varsity Blues.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    oh... man... I DID enjoy Varsity Blues.

I just... have never had to admit that in public before. Sometimes I forget.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the most important difference between Adventureland and Freaks & Geeks is
    the fact that the main character gets the girl in the end, whereas in F&G and real life you'd lose the girl but at least have learned from the experience.

Yeah, I kinda wish the movie had ended when
    he met her in the rain, and she told him she simply couldn't be with him anymore.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    oh... man... I DID enjoy Varsity Blues.

I just... have never had to admit that in public before. Sometimes I forget.

Of course, IIRC Walker sucked ass in that. And it had Dawson. The fact that anybody enjoyed this movie is a testament to the power of football, or something. Still, Walker was in it, and it was quite enjoyable.

Paul Walker is generally a horrible actor, but I still manage to enjoy some things he's in. I liked two of the F&F movies (this one and the first one) despite his presence, not because of it, that's for sure.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have to admit, Paul Walker is the reason I couldn't sit through Fast and the Furious. I had no problem with the concept (despite being a complete Point Break rip-off, just replacing surfboards with cars), but I could not watch Paul Walker... I just couldn't do it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BoredGamer wrote: »

Any idea if it's playing in Canada?
    Also, IT CROWD! WOO!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The thing that bothered me the most about the latest Fast & Furious movie was that it wasn't really about street racing. It was pretty much a crime movie about drug-traffickers. The mules used just happen to be street racers. It was somewhat disappointing, because I was looking forward to some awesomely bad street racing goodness. You know, like the rest of the franchise.

Other than that, it was a pretty fun movie, and Vin Diesel was awesome.

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

Boiler Room was such an utterly mediocre movie filled with some incredibly decent performances.

As much as I liked Fast & Furious, I agree with this statement almost entirely. The biggest test for if you will enjoy F&F is whether you enjoyed the first movie. Period. If you did not, you will not enjoy this one. If you did, you almost certainly will enjoy this one.

And no, you do not watch F&F for the intricate plot, gripping drama, or top-notch performances. You watch it to see muscle cars kick the shit out of ricers and vice versa, to see absurdly over-the-top action sequences that may or may not involve said cars, and to watch Vin Diesel punch people. Like, in the face.

But see, I like movies with, y'know, a plot. I've even been known to watch foreign movies with plots. Like, with subtitles and everything. But I also like action movies. Go figure.

Fast & Furious kicks ass. The end.

funny, i liked speed racer for similar reasons that you listed, and it still managed to have a plot! amazing that!
    just because a movie dazzles with crazy special effects doesn't mean it gets off the hook for being a movie not worth watching. if the most i'm going to walk away with after spending $12 was "man those were some cars and they went fast!" and "vin diesel is good at punching people", then yeah there's a problem.
    i'm not saying there shouldn't be 'dumb fun' movies like this... but atleast transformers managed a somewhat traceable plot. i'm pretty sure for my money i want better than 'pretty colors!'

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    just because a movie dazzles with crazy special effects doesn't mean it gets off the hook for being a movie not worth watching. if the most i'm going to walk away with after spending $12 was "man those were some cars and they went fast!" and "vin diesel is good at punching people", then yeah there's a problem.
    i'm not saying there shouldn't be 'dumb fun' movies like this... but atleast transformers managed a somewhat traceable plot. i'm pretty sure for my money i want better than 'pretty colors!'

Really?

You're going with Speed Racer and Transformers as examples of "better" movies?

Tranformers?

Right. For the record, I loved Tranformers as well (Speed Racer didn't do it for me, other than some pretty impressive visual effects). But at this point you're basically crafting some idea of "quality" out of thin air to justify why you liked one action movie but disliked another.

EDIT: And I only paid $4.50 to see Fast & Furious. If I'd paid $12, I might be annoyed as well. But then, I don't think Transformers was worth $12 apiece to see either.

mcdermott on