As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Comic's Mark Millar calls *all* gamers pedophiles!

LardLard Registered User new member
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
Mark Millar (the guy who wrote the *horrible* Civil War comic for Marvel, was discussing his future plans. He mentioned TV and games.

The quote is as follows: "Like all my pals, the TV and movie people have come calling and even the computer game people (which is weird because games are for pedos and I have no interest)."

Pedo, of course, being short for pedophile. Isn't it nice to label a whole section of people as pedophiles? Especially all the little kids who own the DS?

If he was joking, it wasn't funny.

If he was serious, then he's sick.

At the very *least* Mark Millar owes the gaming world an apology.

Hit Marvel where it hurts - don't buy their comics - and *don't buy their games*.

I would really, really like people do something about this - maybe a comic here on Penny Arcade?, because that jackass Millar needs to be taken to task and learn he can't mislabel people like that.

Original article here:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/millar_final.html

The quote is the second paragraph from the bottom.

Lard on

• ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    well, that's mark millar for you

i'm not too worried about it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If only I gave a shit what a talentless hack thought of my hobbies!

Furu on
  • LardLard Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    To call them nerds is one thing....but throwing around a word like "pedo" carries a little more gravity than your normal slag.

Lard on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    yeah the guy who wrote 'wanted', his word is really packing some punch with middle america these days

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Given the large amount of people who play video games and hated Civil War, I doubt his word is packing punch with anyone these days.

Furu on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah well Civil War was almost as bad as House of M and Avengers Disassembled.

I think we're even now.

Bloods End on
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

I think we're even now.

Civil War was seven issues of nothing that also managed to ruin pretty much every major character in the MU who is not in a book starting with X or Runaways for the forseeable future.

So it's a lot like House of M and Avengers Disassembled. Combined.

Furu on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mark Millar. The same Mark Millar that was absolutely awe struck by the fact that black people can have Down's Syndrome?

Yeah, I'll get right to caring.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Furu wrote: »

I think we're even now.

Civil War was seven issues of nothing that also managed to ruin pretty much every major character in the MU who is not in a book starting with X or Runaways for the forseeable future.

But it did show us that a kid with a live journal and photoshop is capable of being better then a man Marvel hired to write a major comic event

And not a little better, but way better.

Bloods End on
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Mark Millar. The same Mark Millar that was absolutely awe struck by the fact that black people can have Down's Syndrome?

bawha?

Furu on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'll bet you're upset, pedo.

Synthetic Orange on
  • LardLard Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    :P

(length)

Lard on
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »

bawha?

I can't find his actual forum post about it (may have been purged--this was a while ago), but here's the link to the youaredumb.net article on the matter.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lard wrote: »
    Mark Millar (the guy who wrote the *horrible* Civil War comic for Marvel, was discussing his future plans. He mentioned TV and games.

The quote is as follows: "Like all my pals, the TV and movie people have come calling and even the computer game people (which is weird because games are for pedos and I have no interest)."

Pedo, of course, being short for pedophile. Isn't it nice to label a whole section of people as pedophiles? Especially all the little kids who own the DS?

If he was joking, it wasn't funny.

If he was serious, then he's sick.

At the very *least* Mark Millar owes the gaming world an apology.

Hit Marvel where it hurts - don't buy their comics - and *don't buy their games*.

I would really, really like people do something about this - maybe a comic here on Penny Arcade?, because that jackass Millar needs to be taken to task and learn he can't mislabel people like that.

Original article here:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/millar_final.html

The quote is the second paragraph from the bottom.

Yes, if an entire internet forum doesn't buy Marvel comics, they will crumble.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lard wrote: »

Fuck that noise. I don't give two shits what Millar thinks about gamers. I'll buy the shit i want to buy even if he specifically called me, by my first name, a cocksucking, donkey punching son of a slut. I'd just laugh and go buy the last issue of BKV's Dr. Strange: The Oath.

Also, he's Scottish. What'd you expect?

Diablo Fett on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007

I think we're even now.

You know, it's funny all this complaining I hear about how crappy Civil War was, yet it seems like everybody's lining up for World War Hulk.

I hope you either 'Byrne stole' the issues, or just got the gist from somebody online, because buying all seven issues and then coming online and complaining about it is kind of silly.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone actually know any Scottish slang?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't need an apology from that git.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    He writes the Ultimates, he can say whatever the hell he wants as far as I'm concerned.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yes, I'm going to boycott all of Marvel's products because one of their many writers said something stupid about their desire to do certain work outside of Marvel. That's perfectly justified and makes sense, especially since Millar was being completely serious.

Or, you know, you could lighten up. And, anyway, it's Wednesday and I am a Marvel fan, after all. No way in hell I boycott over something this little and stupid.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited February 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Or, you know, you could lighten up. And, anyway, it's Wednesday and I am a Marvel fan, after all. No way in hell I boycott over something this little and stupid.

Especially since Runaways 24 comes out today, yo.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    He writes the Ultimates, he can say whatever the hell he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, but he also wrote 'Ultimate War' so they kinda cancel each other out.

Anyways, I really can't generate the passion to get mad over something this stupid and I'm sure John Bryne has said much worse.

LRG on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Mark Millar licks goats.

Squashua on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Why the hell would I care what some scottish dick bag thinks of gamers?

Algertman on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Yes, I'm going to boycott all of Marvel's products because one of their many writers said something stupid about their desire to do certain work outside of Marvel. That's perfectly justified and makes sense, especially since Millar was being completely serious.

I support this message. Your thread is Gamepolitics forums-level stupid.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I'm gonna start boycotting Marvel the day X-Factor comes out. Although, I will say that gamers seem to have enough of a stigma that adding pedophile to it can't be helpful... although that would explain all the children I hear crying in the background when I play Halo 2 over X-Box Live...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited February 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm gonna start boycotting Marvel the day X-Factor comes out. Although, I will say that gamers seem to have enough of a stigma that adding pedophile to it can't be helpful... although that would explain all the children I hear crying in the background when I play Halo 2 over X-Box Live...

D:

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LaveLave regular
    edited February 2007
    British people tend to use a lot more offensive language than americans (hhmmm, stereotypes).

The Scottish more so. Don't sweat it you cunts.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Oberon311Oberon311 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I'll stand by the man who had Tony atomizing terrorists while singing drunkenly inside Iron Man 6 no matter WHAT stupid shit he says.

Oberon311 on
    Cap's dead. I'm with Ares.
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    This thread needs more chocolate milk.

Squashua on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    God, since when did everyone become a retard?
    He was joking.
    Dude's a big Halo fanboy.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I fucking hate it when groups of people DEMAND AN APOLOGY for something that someone said (edit: especially disjointed groups like fucking gamers). Oh no, did your feelings get hurt? Oh does the widdle baby need his mommy to make it all better?

FUCK YOU, for ruining my society. Fuck you, for introducing the idea that people are not allowed to say what they want or mean. Fuck you for being a humorless cunt. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on. GET THE FUCK OUT!

There, that was intended to to insult all those "P.C." people in groups demanding apologies for statements people said. I'll show you where you can find your damned apology.

SkankPlaya on
    edited February 2007
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    I fucking hate it when groups of people DEMAND AN APOLOGY for something that someone said (edit: especially disjointed groups like fucking gamers). Oh no, did your feelings get hurt? Oh does the widdle baby need his mommy to make it all better?

FUCK YOU, for ruining my society. Fuck you, for introducing the idea that people are not allowed to say what they want or mean. Fuck you for being a humorless cunt. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on. GET THE FUCK OUT!

There, that was intended to to insult all those "P.C." people in groups demanding apologies for statements people said. I'll show you where you can find your damned apology.

Needs an anger management counselor.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Seriously...

And fuck that, if you have the freedom to say what you want, I have the freedom to be offended by it and demand an apology. If you don't want to apologize, fine, that's your prerogative. But in a modern society you need to learn that there are consequences for your actions.

Granted, in this case I don't give a fuck... but if I did, I would damn sure say something about it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited February 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

Anger management is just another one of those queer societal implementations designed to get in touch with a mans "feelings". Fuck that. If you want me to get in touch with my feelings give me a couple beers and I'll tell you what I really think about you and your fucking anger management.

SkankPlaya on
    edited February 2007

Anger management is just another one of those queer societal implementations designed to get in touch with a mans "feelings". Fuck that. If you want me to get in touch with my feelings give me a couple beers and I'll tell you what I really think about you and your fucking anger management.

Needs AA meetings.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What nobody's thinking about here is the reaction of all the pedophiles who don't play games.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I usually don't like sticking my neck out unless I have something original to say, but <i>what a dick</i>.

I don't expect an apology though. It's not like anyone will care, and it's not like he'll mean it.

I would just like him to expand on his statement and expose his logic. I refuse to believe someone could just say something that stupid out of nowhere; he probably has a strange set of beliefs akin to Jewish-shadow-government conspiracy theories.

What a dick.

Torso Boy on
    edited February 2007

Needs AA meetings.

Just because a guy likes having a few beers every night doesn't make him an alcoholic. FUCKING CHRIST ON THE CROSS!!! Next thing you'll say that I'm "Unstable" and "Needs counseling" or some such shit.

Sentry, you're right, you can demand an apology all you want, you have that right. Cry to the heavens in demand for some consolation for the harm that has befallen you. But, it won't do you any fucking good. If a man says something; makes some statement that might be offensive or outlandish, why should he apologize? Why would you make him? Is it because you (or whatever group of people) are offended? Or is it becuase you want him to publicly declare that he was wrong, thus embarrassing him and subjecting him to ridicule. Or, is it because you want some attention of your own? Either way, demanding an apology is just as offensive as the originating offensive comment, becuase you end up chilling future speech that may be "offensive", because people will be less likely to voice their opinions if they constantly need to say they're sorry to someone.

SkankPlaya on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, that is the price you pay for living in society. It's a part of that great social contract you signed at birth. If you want to break that contract, there are lovely backwoods cabins, Aryan brotherhoods, and militias that would love to make your acquaintance.

If you want to be anti-social, prepare for the backlash... it's part of living in the world. Call it PC if you want, but frankly, I'm a big fan of mutual respect and, hey, maybe even a little compassion now and again.

and because no one has said it yet:

Oh, won't someone please think of the children!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: