As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Echo Bazaar] Dark RPG + Alternate Victorian London + Twitter!? = Addictive

• Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can't figure out how to add friends in this, so far my only friend is Fumelin, whom I've just shared some secrets with it appears.

Also, I just had my first nightmare.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Histronic, you have to follow them on Twitter. The OP has a list of all the folks playing so far. Just do www.twitter.com/<their_name_here> and click the follow button.

Squid56 on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My friends, I hope you are plumbing the depths of your Opportunity Cards every time you log in. Cycling through them doesn't cost and action and can quite frequently provide you with some good benefits.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    nonplussednonplussed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    My delicious friends, I hope you are plumbing the depths of your Opportunity Cards every time you log in. Cycling through them doesn't cost and action and can quite frequently provide you with some good benefits.

Fixed.

Anyone feel like taking on some of my nightmare juju?

nonplussed on
    Xbox GT: namplussed
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How does one counsel other people? Do they absorb the Nightmares themselves, or does it just cost them one action point and the other guy's nightmare goes away?

If it's the latter, I'm available later.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Someone's there, someone's always there. I try to get away, but even when I'm alone I can feel him staring. It seems that the harder I try to escape the more doggedly he hunts me down.

I'm running out of options. Perhaps I can find peace down the barrel of a revolver...
    Soooo, who wants to listen to some of my nightmares? They're really getting ugly.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The listener is always changed by the sharing of dreams (yeah, yours go up).

Also, sometimes this game really amuses me. Such as when an adversary of yours tries to sully your [strike]good[/strike] [strike]respectable[/strike] [strike]decent[/strike] name and you retort with the verbal equivalent of a nuclear holocaust.
    Three ladies faint. So do three gentleman and a passing waiter. Two cats fall off the roof and and an elderly horse outside keels over. You are denounced in two newspapers and a sermon. What words! You have definitely gone too far this time.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My word. I'd wager you've probably a foot in already on that barge going to the tomb colonies, then?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Things get tedious around 40. The storylets start to be difficult for the level that unlocks them and carry a penalty for failure. Scandal in particular is hard to get rid of, there's no consumable item for it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    nonplussednonplussed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can't you reduce scandal by inviting folks over and laughing about it in your lodgings? I'd check to make sure this was true but I'm currently HARGHLEBELAHGE not myself at the moment.

I must speak to the manager.

nonplussed on
    Xbox GT: namplussed
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh. Now *I* need help to get rid of my nightmares, too. D:

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can anyone tell me if counseling for Nightmares have a net reduction result, and not just a transfer of Nightmares? Cause we can theoretically counsel each other, thus reducing both of our problems, right?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm quite keen to revisit the realm of lunacy as I left unfinished business there. What I'm saying is let me be your nightmare bitch people!

Username is JamWarrior

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Once scandal is over 3, apparently you can just go to church from your lodgings.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can anyone tell me if counseling for Nightmares have a net reduction result, and not just a transfer of Nightmares? Cause we can theoretically counsel each other, thus reducing both of our problems, right?

I believe this is correct. If two people are sharing there should be an overall reduction for both parties.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoommateRoommate Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just discovered this game over the weekend, and am loving it. A search for Echo Bazaar forums turned up this page... Since I'm also a huge Penny Arcade fan (although new to the forums), I thought I'd poke my head in here and say hi. I'm "Roommate" in the game, please feel free to add me and invite me to chess, or tell me your nightmares. Still pretty low level, but looking forward to some Knife and Candle as soon as I get my "dangerous" up a bit.

Roommate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmmm..

Tiger_Burning

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've tried to read through this whole thread and don't think this has been mentioned here yet, but many of the characters in game have their own twitter accounts, and will interact in character with players. For instance, This blogpost talks about how a player's interactions with "Mr_Eaten" resulted in a special item being created for her. I imagine as more and more players show up the individual interactions will be fewer and far between, but still... that's pretty cool.

Roommate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, thanks to this thread my list of connections has grown quite extraordinary. So large, in fact, that I can't keep everyone straight. Suffice to say I've taken to firing randomly whenever I need some help. Hope this is ok with everyone and feel free to decline, your meager rebuff is nothing to the agonies I've suffered at the hands of the Bazaar. I do make a concerted effort to spread my nightmares around; Mommy told me it was polite to share.

On another topic, I seem to have been infested with Rats. Nasty critters chewing through my lodgings and hoarding their ill-gotten stashes in my cubbies. I shall drive the vermin out if it kills me!

Squid56 on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've just had my first opportunity card from nightmares with a branching storyline. From "Death by water 6"

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Awww man! Recovering my sanity lost all my recurring dreams D: I'm sure they were going fun places.

What is your twitter stuff? I am ttraider82

You can lower your fears on me next time. I am at like 3 on recurring dreams. I assume 5 is when stuff begins to happen.

EDIT:

GOD DAMN IT! I was saving a card for later, I went to discard the other and it turns out that the two cards transposed and I dumped the one I was saving. Fucking game!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Squid56 wrote: »
    Well, thanks to this thread my list of connections has grown quite extraordinary. So large, in fact, that I can't keep everyone straight. Suffice to say I've taken to firing randomly whenever I need some help. Hope this is ok with everyone and feel free to decline, your meager rebuff is nothing to the agonies I've suffered at the hands of the Bazaar. I do make a concerted effort to spread my nightmares around; Mommy told me it was polite to share.

On another topic, I seem to have been infested with Rats. Nasty critters chewing through my lodgings and hoarding their ill-gotten stashes in my cubbies. I shall drive the vermin out if it kills me!

Ditto. I am ttraider82 if you need it. What is yours?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @Machismo - Fumelin (see sig), also, check the OP for a (mostly complete) list of current players in this thread

Squid56 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Squid56 wrote: »

Glad I could help. Worse than the nightmares you've given me is the fact that was my last action for the day, so now I have to wait 24 minutes for the next. The horror!

(Pro tip for the addict: When your "actions left today" reaches 1, resist the urge to do anything until your actions refill to 10 at 8 minutes each. Then you'll have a full allotment before the refills slow down)

Roommate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Roommate wrote: »
    I've tried to read through this whole thread and don't think this has been mentioned here yet, but many of the characters in game have their own twitter accounts, and will interact in character with players. For instance, This blogpost talks about how a player's interactions with "Mr_Eaten" resulted in a special item being created for her. I imagine as more and more players show up the individual interactions will be fewer and far between, but still... that's pretty cool.

Has anyone snooped around and tried to track down the Masters? There are quite a few...
    • Mr_Fires
    • Mr_Iron
    • Mr_Veils
    • Mr_Stones
    • Mr_Mirrors
    • Mr_Pages
    • Mr_Wines
    • Mr_Eaten
    • Mr_Apples
    • Mr_Sacks
    • Mr_Names
    • Mr_Hearts
    • Mr_Cups

Paradiso on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You silly geese.

Now we are all addicted.
    I am enjoying this game so much

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is the perfect thing for those magic moments in Dwarf Fortress when everything is running relatively stable. Nip over for my 10, go back to trying to figure out how those damn kobolds are getting in.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Roommate wrote: »

(Pro tip for the addict: When your "actions left today" reaches 1, resist the urge to do anything until your actions refill to 10 at 8 minutes each. Then you'll have a full allotment before the refills slow down)

I do that all the time and after using all the actions I take the bonus 10 for tweeting. Min-maxing galore.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    God this runs so slow once America wakes up. You're all standing in the way of my dark business!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why do you all want to talk to me about Nightmares, damn you?!

My delicate mind can't handle much more of this!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why do you all want to talk to me about Nightmares, damn you?!

My delicate mind can't handle much more of this!

Sorry man.

If anyone wants to do a nightmare exchange, I am game. I just need a game of chess to loosen the psyche. Let me know.

ttraider82

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    God this runs so slow once America wakes up. You're all standing in the way of my dark business!

Too true, delicious friend! All these thrice-damned surfacers blocking our semaphores.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I need way too many hard earned lessons for my ambition. I'm sending everyone sparring invites :D

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Send one to me, too. :D Also, thanks wearingglasses, for the excellent chess game. Those Sudden Insights are going to come in real handy.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    ociousocious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm Ondrae on Twitter

ocious on
    Life is a ____ , depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just... I'm sorry guys, my nightmares were getting really high. I can't... I can't help you. I'm robbing drunks for laudanum, guys. It's bad.

(But man that Fire Sermon's pretty creepy.)

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Huzzah! Back in the realm of the crazies. That opportunity card with the voice in the well really brings on a mahoosive chunk of nightmares.

Edit: Bah, that was less worthwhile than I had hoped. Oh well, I know now.

Edit edit: I just noticed that there's no difference in stat gain dependant on challenge difficulty. It's always two advancement points for a success and one for a fail. Thus if you're grinding for stats rather than echoes you might as well stick to the straightforward challenges.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Edit edit: I just noticed that there's no difference in stat gain dependant on challenge difficulty. It's always two advancement points for a success and one for a fail. Thus if you're grinding for stats rather than echoes you might as well stick to the straightforward challenges.

I just noticed that this morning too. That's kind of a shame. On the other hand, now that I know, it will make stat-grinding much faster. It's not even worth going for "low risk" if you're just trying to bump the numbers.

Roommate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Noooo... I had a storylet that was gaining me 2 points per action towards Connected: The Great Game and I just outleveled the storylet. Now I can either settle for 1 safe point per action, or risk losing some of my Great Game connection to gain 2 points.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Noooo... I had a storylet that was gaining me 2 points per action towards Connected: The Great Game and I just outleveled the storylet. Now I can either settle for 1 safe point per action, or risk losing some of my Great Game connection to gain 2 points.

Was it the Tipsy Spy storylet? If so, when did you outlevel it? That would be useful to know!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png