Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Mission WaMpossible: Get a (Job)

1246764

Posts

  • DubhDubh BEST FRIENDS WITH FIRE Hudda!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ugh

    goddamn, that sucks Cog

    my parents used to lecture me about always come dressed for an interview even if I'm just picking up an application

    maybe I should pay more attention to that

    Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • IrohIroh Registered User
    edited March 2010
    I've had favorable reactions to "overdressing" for interviews, so definitely don't be afraid of overdoing it.

    I just had to submit a scan of my transcript to a job prospect, which is a weird first for me.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I interviewed for this job twice

    the first time I didn't dress up at all

    the second time I had spent a couple hundred on shoes, shirt and slacks

    I got it the second time

  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    Business casual for women and business casual for women are very different in a corporate environment though.

  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    Business casual for women and business casual for women are very different in a corporate environment though.

    While they might be different in a corporate environment, they look oddly similar in your post.

    snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion."
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    what the shit

    robothero wrote: »
    Business casual for women and business casual for men are very different in a corporate environment though.

  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's two threads right next to each other where your typing has been called out and is now sitting at the top of a page.

    snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion."
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    what's the other thread?

  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Clue thread. Unless you actually meant to write "scrip" instead of "strip"

    snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion."
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    just started my own insurance plan

    ye gods

    I'm starting to regret it

    fuck it, I'll just walk my broken arms off

    I was really lucky my parents made me buy my own insurance when I was working part time (without job-provided insurance). When I broke my elbow, without insurance the surgery and such would've cost like $15k, I would've had no choice but to drop out of school for a while and live on credit card debt. The 'in network' discounts alone were worth the $50/month I was paying for the bottom barrel coverage they offered.

    The experience really makes me rage at dudes who say 'people don't need health insurance because there's always the emergency room'. You know what the emergency room did for me? They told me I had a broken elbow and sent me on my way with a cheap sling. If I was relying on them I'd be a cripple for the rest of my life.

  • UsagiUsagi WOMP WOMPRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    Business casual for women and business casual for men are very different in a corporate environment though.

    Ugh yes, there's very little guidance for what that means and the only way to know is by learning the hard way. It took me forever to distinguish between skirt/buttondown/heels business casual and khakis/polo/decent shoes situations.

    Thankfully most of the other women I work with now have caught on that "business casual" on the shop floor does not involve high heels.

    You heard it here first, folks.
    Putting your finger in someone's butthole.
    Basically the same as flowers.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    what the shit

    robothero wrote: »
    Business casual for women and business casual for men are very different in a corporate environment though.

    This was extremely apparent at my interview, which was business casual.

    I put on a nice pair of khaki's, a golf shit, and my camelhair blazer. Oh, and some socks with my loafers. This is basically what I'd wear normally, except the loafers.

    One guy was just wearing a golf shirt and some khaki's, and some nice shoes.

    The ladies waiting for their interview were wearing suits.

    Double standard.

    Steam name: munkus
    Pokemon X ID:
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey JoeUser!

    What types of jobs do you think I could get coming out of college next year with an Ethical Philosophy degree and two minors in Film Studies and Technical Theater? In addition I'll have been an RA for three years and been active on the college radio station for 3 years as well.

    Where & for what do you think people would want to snag a great find like me? I've also been looking into law enforcement lately as I think investigation would be right up my alley.

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    ugh

    goddamn, that sucks Cog

    my parents used to lecture me about always come dressed for an interview even if I'm just picking up an application

    maybe I should pay more attention to that

    I'm about to do this in a couple hours, actually

  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey JoeUser!

    What types of jobs do you think I could get coming out of college next year with an Ethical Philosophy degree and two minors in Film Studies and Technical Theater? In addition I'll have been an RA for three years and been active on the college radio station for 3 years as well.

    Where & for what do you think people would want to snag a great find like me? I've also been looking into law enforcement lately as I think investigation would be right up my alley.

    McDonald's

  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Business Casual in my office does not include khakis / polos - they are forbidden except in the summer months when management sends out an email saying we're allowed to. While we are told our dress code is business casual, we are also told that includes ties, button up shirts, sweaters, dress pants, skirts, dress shoes.

    I usually wear dress pants, a nice sweater and black flats with black socks.

    For the Olympics we were allowed to wear whatever we wanted .. that was pretty sweet.

  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, my old office job was business casual, which meant dress pants and sweaters and heels or nice flats.

    I only wore a suit jacket when I was feeling extra spiffy.

  • UsagiUsagi WOMP WOMPRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, here in my usual office business casual is jeans, sneakers and tshirts or polos - only when management comes to visit do we bother dressing up, but we are a pretty small field office. When we do onsite meetings, it's dress pants, sweaters and heels for me, but I prefer the casual environment bigtime.

    You heard it here first, folks.
    Putting your finger in someone's butthole.
    Basically the same as flowers.
  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2010
    I doubt I'll ever have to wear a suit to work.

    I won't be interacting with customers.

    kissing.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheri wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey JoeUser!

    What types of jobs do you think I could get coming out of college next year with an Ethical Philosophy degree and two minors in Film Studies and Technical Theater? In addition I'll have been an RA for three years and been active on the college radio station for 3 years as well.

    Where & for what do you think people would want to snag a great find like me? I've also been looking into law enforcement lately as I think investigation would be right up my alley.

    McDonald's

    Oh man...

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i wear whatever the shit i want.

    but if i am pitching i usually wear dress pants and a button up with no tie.

    after i land them, its jeans and a polo maybe.

    and at the home office it is naked

    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey JoeUser!

    What types of jobs do you think I could get coming out of college next year with an Ethical Philosophy degree and two minors in Film Studies and Technical Theater? In addition I'll have been an RA for three years and been active on the college radio station for 3 years as well.

    Where & for what do you think people would want to snag a great find like me? I've also been looking into law enforcement lately as I think investigation would be right up my alley.

    McDonald's

    Oh man...

    Please note that I have an English/Religious Studies BA

    Would you like fries with that?

  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel your agony Sheri, I feel it.

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The Clue thread. Unless you actually meant to write "scrip" instead of "strip"

    Yes I did that one on purpose

  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a rejection letter from McDonalds, somewhere. I wish I could find it, I want to scan it - chances are I threw it out.

    "We do not have any positions that match your qualifications at this time."

    I was applying to be a cashier or something because I was desperate. THX MCDONALDS.

  • ZoelZoel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    man i'm glad I didn't get a degree in something real

    it would be impossible to get or keep a job in this economy if employers thought I might go somewhere better

    Return of the Vent Crew: Rise of the Goatman : postingbros.ownzyou.info : 3968 - pw: karenxzizek
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey JoeUser!

    What types of jobs do you think I could get coming out of college next year with an Ethical Philosophy degree and two minors in Film Studies and Technical Theater? In addition I'll have been an RA for three years and been active on the college radio station for 3 years as well.

    Where & for what do you think people would want to snag a great find like me? I've also been looking into law enforcement lately as I think investigation would be right up my alley.

    are you limited by geography?

    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    mully wrote: »
    I have a rejection letter from McDonalds, somewhere. I wish I could find it, I want to scan it - chances are I threw it out.

    "We do not have any positions that match your qualifications at this time."

    I was applying to be a cashier or something because I was desperate. THX MCDONALDS.

    That's such a bullshit line. If you're overqualified for McDonalds and still applying for McDonalds I don't see why they would turn you down.

  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    because they didn't want to pay me more than the high school kids they employ, i guess. maybe they assumed i wasn't to move into management right away and had no spots. i've no idea, i was like 21 at the time, my solution was to cry.

    obviously i eventually got a job though so i guess its good that i wasnt stuck at mcdonalds.

  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    mully wrote: »
    I have a rejection letter from McDonalds, somewhere. I wish I could find it, I want to scan it - chances are I threw it out.

    "We do not have any positions that match your qualifications at this time."

    I was applying to be a cashier or something because I was desperate. THX MCDONALDS.

    That's such a bullshit line. If you're overqualified for McDonalds and still applying for McDonalds I don't see why they would turn you down.

    store manager doesn't want the regional manager to notice someone that can replace him.

    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I understand that it's about the pay, but I don't know if a person is going into McDonalds is expecting to make bank.

  • NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheri wrote: »
    To be fair, I wasn't having financial troubles until I decided to grow the fuck up, move out of Mom's, and get a car.

    Soooo rent, car payments and car insurance are all new to me and oh god how do people live like this

    Why move out if you can't, or can just barely, afford it? Especially if your only reason is to "grow up". Milk the parental gravy train as long as you can.

  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NebulousQ wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    To be fair, I wasn't having financial troubles until I decided to grow the fuck up, move out of Mom's, and get a car.

    Soooo rent, car payments and car insurance are all new to me and oh god how do people live like this

    Why move out if you can't, or barely can, afford it? Especially if your only reason is to "grow up". Milk the parental gravy train as long as you can.

    This is horrendous advice.

  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    That's such a bullshit line. If you're overqualified for McDonalds and still applying for McDonalds I don't see why they would turn you down.

    because they want someone who won't be leaving as soon as something better comes along.

    they want someone who is fien with being stuck at burger flipping for the rest of their life.

    makes them more reliable and easier to exploit.

    kissing.jpg
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've about given up on this zoo. :( I called the HR and they were not helpful because they are not allowed to say 'no you did not get the position'. All they can say is they will contact you after contacting references. But it's been three weeks since I've interviewed and over a week since they called my last reference, so...I have few choices but to be patient and wait some more, or back to the hunt.

    I know I don't wanna stay at this place of employment but I don't know where to go!

  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    90% of the people who work at McDonalds will be leaving as soon as something better comes along.

  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i think nogs is probably right on that one, doesn't want someone moving up and taking over

    my resume was fairly unimpressive back then but i still had a lot of interesting administration type skills and a lot of volunteer editor experience. i think about that often and am just SO GLAD my resume is more rad than that today - i wouldn't be able to get much more than a "DELETE" from any employers today with that.

  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nah man

    see

    they are gonna work their way up from cashier

    to CEO

    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino legally competent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    job interview tip #57: if you apply for a job interview through a friend who had the position before, gril the friend about how the actual interview went


    oh man was i ambushed this morning. it is not pleasant to have an interviewer drop the "so tell us why you think you're perfect for this job" question. fuck that question.

    ffNewSig.png
    twitter | steam | 3ds: 4227 1731 4009
  • NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheri wrote: »
    NebulousQ wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    To be fair, I wasn't having financial troubles until I decided to grow the fuck up, move out of Mom's, and get a car.

    Soooo rent, car payments and car insurance are all new to me and oh god how do people live like this

    Why move out if you can't, or barely can, afford it? Especially if your only reason is to "grow up". Milk the parental gravy train as long as you can.

    This is horrendous advice.

    But why? Take the money you save on food and board and invest it. I have multiple friends all in professional positions who have stayed with their parents right after college for a few years and are now looking to buy a house in their mid twenties. This would not have been possible if they had moved out immediately after college and had to pay full rent and food costs themselves.

This discussion has been closed.