As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• Options
    CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    Themadcow wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus... I didn't notice that! Half the price of the PC version when it was clearly more expensive to port and develop is CRIMINAL.

Stuff that, I wont buy this game on principle unless the PC version is at least equal in cost. I don't give a damn about the supply/demand economic model.

*edit* it seems that the PC version is complete with all content whereas the iPad version has the extra content as DLC? Still damn stupid.

With all of the DLC, the iPad and android versions are the same cost as the PC/Mac. They had to re-write the graphics engine to support higher resolution so doing that was the majority of porting to iPad and Android. It really wasn't much extra work to put it on those platforms which is why they are doing it for so many.
    I'm sure someone did some research and found that people are more likely to spend $20 on a PC game but a lot of people will not spend that much on an iPad game.

I was actually hoping for a way to buy it and have cross platform saves etc. Play it some evening then wake up and grab the iPad for the commute to work and get to pick up where you left off the night before.

How does multi player in a a game like this work?

They really don't have enough people or money to research the optimal cost :P I'm pretty sure Trent picked that number based on experience and how much work they put into it. I'm guessing they are doing the DLC on iPad and android because everyone is used to super cheap and/or free games on those platforms so nobody but BG fans would buy it on those platforms. PC users would be up in arms if every individual thing that they added was a DLC.

I'm happy to pay $20 for the higher res and not having to fight to get it to run on a newer system or integrate mods. The additional gameplay in the new areas sounds like it's about as long as portal was.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Cadmus wrote: »
    I'm happy to pay $20 for the higher res and not having to fight to get it to run on a newer system or integrate mods. The additional gameplay in the new areas sounds like it's about as long as portal was.

This is why I'll be buying it. I just wish it was coming out a month sooner. Because, in all honesty, the sooner, the better.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    All of the Baldur's Gate cinematics have been replaced with beautifully hand painted animated cinematics, directed by Nat Jones.

Hooray, those cinematics were always terrible, and made Irenicus look like a bad comics villain.

Really looking forward to replaying BG1, too. Sarevok was actually a pretty great villain, it's just he gets overshadowed by the glory that is Jon Irenicus.

Now if only we could get a halfling Mazzy Fenten romance

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

This is why I'll be buying it. I just wish it was coming out a month sooner. Because, in all honesty, the sooner, the better.

I almost pulled out my old BG1 disks last night but I know I wont have time to play it through again when EE comes out. I can probably get into the friends and family beta but that's the same problem, I want to wait until it's ready cause I wont have time to play it through again when it's done.

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

I almost pulled out my old BG1 disks last night but I know I wont have time to play it through again when EE comes out. I can probably get into the friends and family beta but that's the same problem, I want to wait until it's ready cause I wont have time to play it through again when it's done.

See, mine's more because I'm off work the last week of August because of having to deal with a relative's estate. I won't be in town, but BGEE would be the perfect thing to take on the laptop with me for both the long drive and while I'm away from home.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    Ha. So now the official romance ratio is 4:1 female:Anomen.

Bear in mind BG1 didn't have romances, so this is a sort of sneaky announcement that they've made some new ones for the remake.

Bonus points if you can hit on Jaheira while her husband's still alive.

Start hitting on Jaheira in the room where you found Khalid's body, "So you're single now?"

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    All I know about BG1 is damn that wolf in the first zone after candlekeep

• Options
    All I know about BG1 is damn that wolf in the first zone after candlekeep

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    And I've yet to see a single thing that makes this better than a modded BG1+2 still. All this EE seems to be, besides the iPad version which is cool, is a gimmick to try to resell the game at a higher price to those ignorant of the huge modding community that's been around for ages.

Completely seriously, the major thing that's got me interested in the EE is the possibility of decent party banter in BG1. Yeah, I know I could mod that in... but I never found BG1NPC that well written, certainly not compared to BG2. I'm pretty sure I've only completed the first game once, just because it feels too empty.

BG2's EE will be a harder sell.

eh bg1npc grows on you after awhile, then when you get to bg2 you remember why the banter was so awesome in the first place.

• Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Holy flark, Blackguards <3

Not only is the romance ratio 4:1 in favour of females you can pursue, all the ladies are at least part-Elf. Freakin' Elves, man.

The three new NPCs sound interesting and I look forward to their interactions with the party. Still hyped.

Actually, all three new NPCs are romanceable, according to Trent's twitter. Proofs.

• Options
    Ecko wrote: »

Not only is the romance ratio 4:1 in favour of females you can pursue, all the ladies are at least part-Elf. Freakin' Elves, man.

The three new NPCs sound interesting and I look forward to their interactions with the party. Still hyped.

Actually, all three new NPCs are romanceable, according to Trent's twitter. Proofs.

aw yea! gonna get me some half orc lovin'

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

Are folks interested in getting some multiplayer together on this when it comes out and we have more information? I'd be down for that.

At least there's a tiny bit more diversity now. You don't have to do it with a priest.

Which do you want, the blonde elf priest, the blonde elf nature priest, the blonde elf priest-mage, or the blonde elf mage?

Or, if you play a woman, a half-orc warrior-priest, a bald human warrior-priest, or a bearded human warrior-priest?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    For the unenlightened among us, what's a Blackguard?

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    eeeeeeeee!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wonder if the new NPCs will port into BG2EE

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Bigity wrote: »
    Wonder if the new NPCs will port into BG2EE

trent said that's the plan on his twitter, don't have a link at the moment however.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Dunno if this is common knowlege or not (don't think it is) but according to the pre-order FAQ on the site's forums, Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition seems to have a PC release date of September 18th.
    Q: How long will pre-orders go for?

A: You can pre-purchase Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition until the release of the PC version, on September 18th. After that, the price goes to normal and we will no longer offer the forum badge

• Options
    Dunno if this is common knowlege or not (don't think it is) but according to the pre-order FAQ on the site's forums, Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition seems to have a PC release date of September 18th.
    Q: How long will pre-orders go for?

A: You can pre-purchase Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition until the release of the PC version, on September 18th. After that, the price goes to normal and we will no longer offer the forum badge

It was announced a couple of weeks ago. We all discussed it then. My only gripe was that it was coming out a month too late for me to take on my road trip at the end of August.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    That's what I get for taking a break from the forums. :(

My gripe is that September is filled with too much cool game stuff that I wanna sink my teeth into. And they're going to be time-consuming titles to boot. May have to delay picking this up for a while as a result.

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    For the unenlightened among us, what's a Blackguard?

A Black Guard is an Anti-Paladin.

11776-1.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Oh no.

Trent Oster signing deal with the guy who is reponsible for Superman 64 devil gets more and more likely.
    @SzymonPusz: @TrentOster I know whats going on with Black Isle! You are working together on BG3! :)))” interesting speculation
    If there is a BG3, it would be developed on new technology. Our current plans have nothing to do with the Black Hound concept.

• Options
    Nathan WillisNathan Willis QA & Audio Guy Edmonton, ABRegistered User new member
    Hi folks, in light of the recent PA comic, just thought I'd drop by and have a presence on this forum if anyone has any questions for myself or the rest of the Overhaul Games team.

For our part, I just wanted to extend a general, big "thank you all very much!" for your support for what we're doing. We're aiming to make everything as good as we possibly can. =)

Nathan Willis
    QA Analyst . Audio Guy | Overhaul Games
  • Options
    How's mod compatibility going? i remember reading the hope was for them to work nice.

not sure i can play through bg1 without bg1npc and swordcoast stratagems, they've almost become default for me now.

• Options
    Nathan WillisNathan Willis QA & Audio Guy Edmonton, ABRegistered User new member
    How's mod compatibility going? i remember reading the hope was for them to work nice.

not sure i can play through bg1 without bg1npc and swordcoast stratagems, they've almost become default for me now.

Ahoy! Mod compatibility is alive and well - in fact, BG:EE will be even more compatible with mods going forward as we've been able to integrate a lot of the community's desired changes directly into the executable (since we're working from the source code), as well as externalize parts of the engine which were previously hardcoded - more 2DA's for modders to change. In theory any existing mod that works with Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 should be compatible with BG:EE with minimal extra changes needing to be made.

The people who curate or have created the mods in question will need to make some changes to ensure that the mod is compatible with the slightly different BG:EE filepaths and framework, but in general most people are on top of that and we have many of the modders taking part in a closed beta of the game, including DavidW who is responsible for SCS.

As for the compatibility of specific mods like BG1NPC and BG Unfinished Business, I couldn't tell you for certain that they'll work from day 1 - I assume there'll be a short wait before they're ready to go. We can't include them by default for a variety of reasons including certain aspects of our license agreement among other things.

Nathan Willis
    QA Analyst . Audio Guy | Overhaul Games
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Oh hell yes. Having never played BG1, I am so looking forward to this.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I am RIGID with excitement.

For this game.

• Options
    what would the turn around for bg2ee be like? or is it all dependant on how well bg1ee sells?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Hi folks, in light of the recent PA comic, just thought I'd drop by and have a presence on this forum if anyone has any questions for myself or the rest of the Overhaul Games team.

For our part, I just wanted to extend a general, big "thank you all very much!" for your support for what we're doing. We're aiming to make everything as good as we possibly can. =)

I'm wondering just how much of a direct translation this is from the originals, or if you guys did tweak a few things here and there aside from just fixing all the old bugs and updating it etc. Did you guys wind up adjusting any of the NPCs at all, especially the ones that were particularly... Underwhelming? Was there any other adjustments like that, to encounters or quests or whatever, that we can look forward to?

• Options
    From my understanding, they weren't really allowed(?) to change the previously existing content such as say, making Minsc a berzerker instead of a ranger, or change the ending to a quest. They did add new NPCs and new quests though.

• Options
    there are mods to do that and its easy enough with shadowkeeper like programs anyway.

• Options
    Yes, there is a mod for just about anything, at least for BG2. BG1 mods are a little more scare, but still plenty of stuff out there. Assuming of course, a mod author is around to tweak it to work with BG1EE.

• Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    what would the turn around for bg2ee be like? or is it all dependant on how well bg1ee sells?

From what I've read, they're definitely doing BG2EE, no matter what. 2013 is all they're saying for a release date at the moment.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    BG2 enhanced has my loins afroth with anticipation.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm really considering getting this on ipad. I hope it runs comparably to the computer version.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    any news on when the pre-load is happening?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Ahoy! Mod compatibility is alive and well - in fact, BG:EE will be even more compatible with mods going forward as we've been able to integrate a lot of the community's desired changes directly into the executable (since we're working from the source code), as well as externalize parts of the engine which were previously hardcoded - more 2DA's for modders to change. In theory any existing mod that works with Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 should be compatible with BG:EE with minimal extra changes needing to be made.

The people who curate or have created the mods in question will need to make some changes to ensure that the mod is compatible with the slightly different BG:EE filepaths and framework, but in general most people are on top of that and we have many of the modders taking part in a closed beta of the game, including DavidW who is responsible for SCS.

As for the compatibility of specific mods like BG1NPC and BG Unfinished Business, I couldn't tell you for certain that they'll work from day 1 - I assume there'll be a short wait before they're ready to go. We can't include them by default for a variety of reasons including certain aspects of our license agreement among other things.

This is pretty reassuring. I'll probably still get BGEE - not necessarily day one or anything - but it's still a "will definitely buy" for me.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Oh hey new roma-

God damn it another elf? The more things change...

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    So two of the new characters say that they're in-app purchases on the ipad and android tablets. Does that mean you can't get them on the PC version?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Not just that. The female romances are all blonde elven casters (three of them divine). The male romances (I think two more are being added) are all male priest-types (including a monk).

Shadowen on
  • Options
    So two of the new characters say that they're in-app purchases on the ipad and android tablets. Does that mean you can't get them on the PC version?

It means they come with the PC version without additional charge.

I guess to keep the iPad app cost at 9.99 they made some of the new stuff an in-app purchase.