As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yosh is too busy dancing on the head of a pin to romance.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    After you sleep with him in the middle of romance tree, you wake up next to each other, look lovingly into each other's eyes when he says:
    Hiiiiiyah!

Tourists love that stuff.

Also, when you hit him up for lovin'
    Very well... (sigh) Hii-ya.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Yosh is too busy dancing on the head of a pin to romance.

With all the other angels ;_;

...That I abandoned in a magical science dungeon lab thing

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So...question. Other than the (ugh) romances and dungeon, what does the extra $10 add that, say, buying BG1 and 2 on this weekend's gog deal for a third the price and doing trilogy or tutu, doesn't?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Actual working multiplayer for one. A supposedly improved interface (though I have yet to actually see any screens of the new UI). New kits. Working widescreen support for modern resolutions without having to use mods that hack the .exe.

If none of that matters to you (and truth be told, they don't even matter all that much to me, which is why I don't plan on getting BGEE right away), then by all means go ahead and grab BG1+2 off of GOG. BG2EE hasn't even officially been announced yet anyway, so.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    New screenshots with new UI were released earlier this week: Linky.

I would say that the EE doesn't add just romances, since, y'know, they are full blown characters. New kit. Dungeon. Quests. Bug fixes. And the wonderful ability to not having to install trilogy or tutu (not that they're bad mods, I just like the idea of worrying about less mods when I wanna play a game).

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ecko wrote: »
    New screenshots with new UI were released earlier this week: Linky.

I would say that the EE doesn't add just romances, since, y'know, they are full blown characters. New kit. Dungeon. Quests. Bug fixes. And the wonderful ability to not having to install trilogy or tutu (not that they're bad mods, I just like the idea of worrying about less mods when I wanna play a game).

I just play them vanilla anyway, no mods

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    tough to tell from screenshots what it is that's so great about this new UI

have they given any more info about this new dungeon? Is it on the level of watcher's keep?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    last minute game delays are always the worst. I would have bought it in September, but in October/November there's a lot out I'll be playing instead.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    tough to tell from screenshots what it is that's so great about this new UI

To my eyes it just looks like a pallet-swapped BG2 UI so far, I'd hoped they'd actually do something different with it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They replaced the floppy disc icon with...gears? And the party select buttons are more finger friendly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd bet more of the UI changes are in stuff like inventory management and spells, stuff like that

Although I never really minded the bg2 UI in the first place

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    really dislike how they delayed it for so long 3 days before it was supposed to come out after they had by all accounts been telling people that development had been going great. I'm not mad it's delayed per se, but I'm pretty annoyed at the 11th hour of it.

As someone who works in software delivery, i can tell you it only takes one bug to force a move of a release.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    new ui looks nice, the fonts and everything is bg2'd but sticks with bg1 colour, did notice the extra new buttons at the bottom but they look like ipad shortcuts to me.

kinda sad the item buttons and spellcasting quickslots havent been increased by the looks of it, alot of unused space there still.

edit: hmm, saw those screens earlier on my phone and looking at them now on my pc and they look worse than the original bg1.. something seems off with them.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Probably just scaled them, rather than redoing it at the new resolution

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    If that's true funny definition of "Enhanced". "Scaled Edition!"!

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    If that's true funny definition of "Enhanced". "Scaled Edition!"!

would make sense if all they did was change the UI.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    really dislike how they delayed it for so long 3 days before it was supposed to come out after they had by all accounts been telling people that development had been going great. I'm not mad it's delayed per se, but I'm pretty annoyed at the 11th hour of it.

As someone who works in software delivery, i can tell you it only takes one bug to force a move of a release.
    my understanding is that is not what happened though

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So what, to your understanding, did happen then?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Nathan WillisNathan Willis QA & Audio Guy Edmonton, ABRegistered User new member
    Mmm - sorry for being remiss in checking this. We're still looking into solutions for modding on the iPad - it looks like, at the very least, via the Apple document and file sharing business we might be able to sort of give a "window" into the override directory. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be a solution for the time being. We'll have more information as it becomes available.

As to the delay - all I can offer is apologies on my part. We wanted to announce earlier, but with the issue of all the various companies involved in licensing anything that's officially announced/made available has to go through a few miles of red tape. We knew that while it would be upsetting to some people, it was the right decision and the game will be much better for it. We're making the most of our time!

And hey, more time for Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2. ;)

Nathan Willis
    QA Analyst . Audio Guy | Overhaul Games
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X61sMAYqpVQ

new voices sound gooooood.

also randomly reading the forums/twitter seems like game is due for the 28th now and not the 30th.

reading about the black pitts and it sounds like you cant access it through the main bg1 game which sorta sucks but then again would probably be too overpowering for the main game. modders will probably incorprate it later and then i can use that xp reducing mod and balance it all out again.

been thinking about my next saga playthrough and i'm debating on waiting for the right mods to be released before playing bg:ee or just going through vanilla with a crazy combination of pc/party i don't usually do and then doing a modded playthrough of the originals.

i think i lack the patience to wait for bg2:ee

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Totally did not hear that was Mark Meer, had to double check when I saw it.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Dorn Il-Khan? He meant to be related to Gromnir?

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Could be. There are background stories at the official site for each new npc, haven't read them yet.

• Options
    I can already tell me and Dorn are gonna be bros

Neera? Eeeehhh we'll see

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Hah! Good fun!

Wonder what he's up to these days?

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    How much actual spoken dialog was there in BG1?

I mean, I know it's mostly text-based but if I remember correctly there was barely any, just combat sounds and perhaps one or two lines of introduction. BG2 had noticeably more voice over work, I think.

• Options
    Yeah iirc BG1 was mostly spoken only for plot stuff and big character introductions and stuff.

Of course BG2 was just so goddamn huge, it had more of everything than bg1

• Options
    How large would the budget on a Baldur's Gate 3 actually be, today? I mean, it wouldn't be anywhere near the 40-50 million of a triple A title would it? It'd be small and could probably afford to have everything voiced.

I mean jesus, I know there are still art assets in Infinity Engine games, but they must be cheaper to produce than even the most basic of 3d worlds for modern games. Imagine the sheer quantity, if nothing else, of content that could be achieved nowadays.

• Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    Oh, man--check out the voice on Dorn. Sounds like a badass, but a *very* experienced one.

Can't wait.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    How large would the budget on a Baldur's Gate 3 actually be, today? I mean, it wouldn't be anywhere near the 40-50 million of a triple A title would it? It'd be small and could probably afford to have everything voiced.

I mean jesus, I know there are still art assets in Infinity Engine games, but they must be cheaper to produce than even the most basic of 3d worlds for modern games. Imagine the sheer quantity, if nothing else, of content that could be achieved nowadays.

4 million probably, if project eternity is anything to go by.

• Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    I'm utterly baffled at why the Black Pits was made, and why it's being included in BG:EE. It has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate.

I mean come on, making a party from scratch IWD style? Why did they spend development time/money making this? Is anyone at all interested in it?

exmac.png
  • Options
    We'll see how far 4M goes with PE, but weren't IE games like 5M or so? And that was with an established engine and stuff

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Cojones wrote: »
    I'm utterly baffled at why the Black Pits was made, and why it's being included in BG:EE. It has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate.

I mean come on, making a party from scratch IWD style? Why did they spend development time/money making this? Is anyone at all interested in it?

I dunno, given how party members have almost zero personality or interaction in Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 1 is just as hack and slash-y as the IWD games. It's not that far out.
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Baldur's Gate 2 had a budget of about 5 to 5.5 million as I recall it. To make a similar game today would most likely cost even less, due to advances in technology.

The techniques used then require less work to recreate now, in other words.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    But let's be honest. Any RPG with a "real" publisher would demand full voice acting, and probably not-isometric, which would increase the budget by at least an order of magnitude

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I dunno, given how party members have almost zero personality or interaction in Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 1 is just as hack and slash-y as the IWD games. It's not that far out.
    It still has absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate. The Black Pits is, as far as I know, a totally self-contained adventure. I could understand the move if they were just making another Watcher's Keep or something, but this is bizarre.

exmac.png
  • Options

you can import your party from the main game, think of it as a combat arena to try out party builds.

modders will most likely had it incorporated into the main game.

reading the forums some more seems like adventure Y might be dlc post release now, found some pretty nice concept art that for some reason isnt in my history but it showed a ruined castle with a dragon on top of it, not sure if this was adventure Y but most of the official forums seem to think its dragonspear castle which is north of baldurs gate.

• Options
    Also, if it will be possible to import your BG1 team into first TBP and then another DLC adventure, then won't they be arriving into BG2 at level 12 or something? Couldn't that trivialise a lot of the early content?

exmac.png
  • Options

Think of it like the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

It's obviously a horde mode esque deal to show off the improved multiplayer systems.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012

I'm expecting him to pull out a Dire Wolf and stop around the screen as his special unique power, myself.

Shadowen on