As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Surprisingly enough the Sam/Dean shippers are actually the sane ones in the fandom. They're weird as fuck but they just kind of do their own thing in their own little corner.

It's the Dean/Cas ones who are ridiculous assholes.

Let me give you a brief glimpse at how fucking stupid the Supernatural fandom can be.

There's been so much stupid fucking drama for the past 2 seasons where they have been legit expecting and demanding Dean/Cas to be an actual thing, and they not only harass the writers about it on twitter, they go after the fucking crew on twitter, like, location and VFX guys, as if they could do something about it. Or would, even if they had that power. And no matter how many times they get shut down and told it's not a thing by writers/crew/execs/actors, they don't shut the fuck up about it. Like they've decided to piggbyack on the social justice movement by saying it's about "representation on tv" and not that they just want to see two dudes fucking on screen.

It's the stupidest fucking shit I've ever seen on the internet, man. It's like... People just made something up out of thin air. And then they told themselves it was true, it was going to be canon to the show. And then they got mad at everyone involved at the show for "leading them on" or "queerbaiting" or whatever the fuck, when they literally just made all of that shit up themselves. And they don't even realize it because they're too busy being outraged because it makes them feel important, and not like they've just wasted so much of their life imagining two fictional straight dudes fucking each other.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    And this is where I point out again that I'm glad I only get my news about this show and talk about this show in this thread and this thread only.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Didn't the dude who plays Dean even mention that he was done answering those kinds of questions because it was getting too weird for him?

sig.gif
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Who can blame him?
    That makes me wonder, when did they do their fandom/shipping episode again? Was it before or after the big break in quality between season 5 and 6? Because that was kind of hilarious.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Becky's episodes were almost all in Season 5.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Becky drugged Sam to marry her in Season 7, I think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Becky drugged Sam to marry her in Season 7, I think.

And she gets mentioned by Kevin in season 9 when he finds all of Chuck's unpublished stuff online

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    And this is where I point out again that I'm glad I only get my news about this show and talk about this show in this thread and this thread only.
    Didn't the dude who plays Dean even mention that he was done answering those kinds of questions because it was getting too weird for him?

I watched a Q&A once with the two lead actors ata convention, and the questions they were asked were downright offensive. They play it off really nicely, but it was pretty shocking how the fans act.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I watched a Q&A once with the two lead actors ata convention, and the questions they were asked were downright offensive. They play it off really nicely, but it was pretty shocking how the fans act.

People get way too comfortable because of how accessible the cast is. Combine that with a fair number having been brainwashed by the echo chamber of Tumblr and you get people who forget how to act like normal goddamn human beings in a public setting.

I think sometimes it varies by crowd too, though. TorCon is usually good about not having fucking stupid questions, but sometimes at the larger ones like Chicago you get shit that slips through the question line. The con staff filter questions, but I mean... if someone's an asshole they'll just tell the staffer a different question than they're going to ask.

At JIBcon this year (one of the European ones - I think this one's in Rome) Jensen basically shut that shit down. Said people blow Dean and Cas's relationship way out of proportion, he and Misha don't play them as anything other than comrades/brothers in arms, and he's glad that Dean and Cas had a lot fewer scenes together (this was during s9). It was glorious watching the Tumblr meltdown as the crazies found any reason to call Jensen a terrible person and say he was somehow wrong and didn't really understand the character he's been playing for 10 years.

But yeah, officially 'shipping' questions are banned at least at the Creation-run cons in North America. Dunno about European cons. Usually when something gets asked there's a collective groan from the room because 99% of con-goers realize that you don't bring up fandom shit to the actors.

Forget it...
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yep, Supernatural fans have the weird fetishism kink of the Bronies but with a kind of frightening mean streak.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Forget it...
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

You've been immortalized by Captain Kirk. So lucky.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'm rewatching the series from the beginning with my friends. I'm consistently blown away by dialogue that makes way more sense three or four seasons from now. The meetings with Meg are almost funny the amount of hints that are dropped.

• Options
    So tonight's the 200th episode. Looks like a meta episode, which are usually pretty good.

We'll see.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    i'm so sick of supernatural's meta because all it does is acknowledge the fandom which is the shittiest fandom full of people who need to shut up

they should take the time they spend on "clever" meta and instead focus on fixing all the lore they fucked up

Forget it...
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Screw the lore, that's past repair. Just fix the procedure!

I think the single moment in the recent werewolf episode is what I'll now point to as exactly how the show has lost it. Sam and Dean are held at gunpoint by superhumans. They get out of it in as casual and trivial a manner as possible, yet allowed themselves to be taken at gunpoint in the first place. They're "big leagues" that overpower the mook werewolves.

There was a time where the ghost of the week wasn't a mook, where Sam & Dean were shown to intelligently engage the horror scenario and work to defeat it using training, guts, knowledge and a healthy amount of luck produced by the need for at least some dramatic tension (otherwise every hunt would be "research and then the shoot the monster with its weakness with a sniper round." It's been a long time since any episodes were remotely concerned with hunting as a central procedural conceit of the show. It's basically urban fantasy superheros with characters who used to be grounded, non-superpowered horror tourists in working class flyover state America. It used to be non-empowered individuals scraping advantage over the inhuman out of knowledge and cunning.

"Welcome to the big leagues." Fuck off, Dean.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    but it takes effort to write a legitimately clever hunt, why do that when you can just slap some shit together and cover it up with undeserved callbacks to the early seasons and jensen crying a single perfect tear at the camera

the writers are just coasting on jared and jensen's chemistry

Forget it...
  • Options
    I think you guys are over thinking a 10 season long monster-of-the-week show that has churned up most of its ground and gone well past the original expiration date.

• Options
    the thing is there are approximately eight billion things the show could do that are better than what it has been doing. i mean, if we have to cover ten seasons, give me an hour and i can give you basic season arcs for 6-10 that will be better than this aimless shit that's been going on now.

there are some good ideas buried in the crap they've churned out, but they fail utterly in execution because the writers are too lazy to think about the little things that made the early MOTW episodes a) entertaining and b) sometimes legitimately creepy.

Forget it...
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Hello good sir or madam, pray tell have you heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Tar and feather me, but I liked this episode. (do I even need tags for something this meta?)
    The idea of Carry On sung by the parents? The reminder of their other brother getting tortured in a cell with Lucifer (and Sam's "who is that?" moment) and the publisher... I'm not some weird fandom person, and I won't call it a strong episode since its meta- but it was- supernatural.

• Options
    Nice that they actually acknowledged the 3rd Winchester brother.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

dude i'm not even saying i'm a good writer

i'm saying i can at least come up with an idea that starts at point a and ends at point b and covers a whole season of 22 episodes and has at least some advancement in each episode, however minor it may be.

the writers haven't been doing that since the end of season 5.

season 6 was a mess of plotlines that were never fully explored. you only find out halfway through the season that this apparent angel civil war is the actual real main plotline except it happens almost entirely off screen and is a conflict that the MAIN CHARACTERS OF THE SHOW literally have NO INFLUENCE ON whatsoever, and why the fuck should the audience care about it if we never fucking see any of it? Eve shows up in like 4 episodes spaced across the season and she dies with no great fanfare because she never got to be a legitimate threat in the first place, the alphas plotline just fades away, and the Campbells don't go anywhere and just all get killed off because it's too difficult to keep track of secondary characters (same for Balthazar, who is really just a personality copy of Gabriel). Soulless Sam and Sam's hell wall is a set up for something that could be an ongoing issue for the character, so I have no complaints with how that particular plot was handled in s6, buut...

season 7 could have been amazing with godCas as the big bad, except they abandon that in the first episode and kill him off. Sam's hell hallucinations manifest brilliantly in the second episode... and then are pretty much forgotten for like half the season while Sam hunts as normal, until they decide to pay attention to them for an episode which makes him go crazy and almost die from sleep deprivation. then they resurrect Cas, make him take on Sam's hallucinations because OF COURSE you can't have Sam actually DEAL with anything or have some lasting impact from his great sacrifice - the hallucinations are magicked away, Cas is a useless weirdo, and Sam is basically 100% normal. Nobody gives a fuck about the Leviathans because they aren't scary, they kill Bobby only to introduce a temporary replacement Bobby who they then kill, then bring Bobby back as a ghost just to kill him again. They have an interesting idea with Sam and Dean being set up as serial killers and on the run from the law, except they did that way better in season 2... and Sam and Dean have been legally dead since season 3... and all of this is forgotten anyway because Sam and Dean being wanted serial killers is never, ever brought up again.

season 8 had a cool idea in purgatory, except then they go ahead and take a giant shit on Sam's character and make him not actually look for his brother or do anything to help Kevin because lol he hit a dog and had a fucking terrible chemistry-less relationship with a block of wood, compelling television! we learned so much about Sam! the trials and the tablets were interesting i guess (still fucking sick of angels, why are they still around?) but it's still 1 episode of plot, 1 MOTW with a throwaway line of 'kevin's translating the tablet' and then 5 more MOTW eps where there's literally no movement on the main plot. and then at the end they just decide to stop and not go through with literally getting rid of all demons because Sam might die for the 497693476th time. and more bullshit about angels but who gives a fuck? none of the angel shit involves the main characters! it's just there so they have an excuse to keep cas around because they're too chickenshit to kill off characters that have nothing left to offer.

season 9 was so bad i quit watching. so sam isn't actually sam for half a season. the main plot is more fucking angel shit that doesn't directly involve sam and dean. and still the trend of one episode of plot, 16 episodes of MOTW with no mention of or movement on the plot.

seriously, what is this crap?

I don't even think I'm being needlessly harsh. I'm not comparing it to Breaking Bad. The first 5 seasons of SPN, even though they all had a stinker episode here or there, had a clear plot thread. Season 1 - Find dad, and something's up with Sam. Season 2 - figure out how to kill the demon, stuff is up with Sam because of the demon. Season 3 - Dean's going to hell. Season 4 - fuck, angels, stop the seals from breaking, also stuff is up with Sam related to the demon stuff from before. Season 5 - apocalypse. stuff that was up with Sam reaches its payoff: he's Lucifer's vessel. All of those plot threads directly involved Sam and Dean. They had a personal stake in them, they could directly influence the events, and the events centred on them.

Everything after? Fuck, man, most of that shit is Cas's bullshit that Sam and Dean can't do anything about and then they just sort of meander around and who even gives a shit. Demon Dean could have been interesting but they abandoned that after 3 episodes and now we're back to the trend of monster of the week while leaving a major plot thread dangling (mark of cain). And the mark of cain would have been interesting 5 seasons ago, but Dean's been a murderous dick for a while now so it's not even like that's a major character change for him. it's just Dean with a fancy new blade.

Forget it...
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I grimmacingly want to say it was a fun/good episode despite probably actively encouraging the things we just finished talking about being terrible about the 'fandom'. I mean it felt like a really strong episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Is that because the writers of Supernatural are mistakenly estimating their unskilled abilities as higher than they actually are?

Heyooooo.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Morblitz wrote: »

Is that because the writers of Supernatural are mistakenly estimating their unskilled abilities as higher than they actually are?

Heyooooo.

I think Thompson and Berens could be good under a different showrunner. Thompson needs to fucking tone down the fannishness though.

Adam Glass needs to learn what canon and continuity are.

ditch the fuck out of Buckner and Leming, they've been terrible since forever and all their episodes are the worst.

Carver's just a fucking bad showrunner though.

Forget it...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    And what they did with demon dean wasn't even interesting or compelling. I'm still sore about how they had him singing karaoke in a bar - yet he brags about being a knight of hell.

It reminded me all too much of Spider-Man 3, where they showed us how dark Peter was by making him do an awkward little jig outside of a garment store.

I don't even dislike the show, I'm just sad that it's a shell of what it used to be.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    Speaking of fannishness.
    I got curious and googled what all the hubbub was about with Jensen and his 'homophobia' because he's tired of Destiel.

That was a rabbit hole I should not have gone down.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yep, Supernatural fans have the weird fetishism kink of the Bronies but with a kind of frightening mean streak.

So exactly like the Brony fandom them. It's worse than I thought.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Speaking of fannishness.
    I got curious and googled what all the hubbub was about with Jensen and his 'homophobia' because he's tired of Destiel.

you poor soul.

I have to say though, I fucking love how Jensen doesn't give a shit about the shippers. Misha panders to them at the cons and in interviews and it annoys the fuck out of me because it encourages their shitty behaviour, whereas Jensen is just like "what? no. what the hell show are you watching"

there's worse stuff though. so much worse.

god i wish i had brain bleach.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Speaking of fannishness.

you poor soul.

I have to say though, I fucking love how Jensen doesn't give a shit about the shippers. Misha panders to them at the cons and in interviews and it annoys the fuck out of me because it encourages their shitty behaviour, whereas Jensen is just like "what? no. what the hell show are you watching"

there's worse stuff though. so much worse.

god i wish i had brain bleach.

I am at once both jealous of your ability to go to conventions where the Winchesters are, and at the same time glad that I haven't. Interesting feeling.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    To be honest, there isn't much shipping stuff at least at the Toronto convention that I go to. It's usually pretty chill except for like the 14 year old girls who get their photo ops and then run out crying "omg jensennnnn he smells so good and sajhafkjs". But then you just laugh at that shit.

All the terrible fandom stuff I know, I learned from tumblr, not from the cons. tumblr is a cesspool.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Why do any of you care about what some nobody in a dark corner of the Internet is doing and why are you letting it effect your ability to watch this show?

Why even make the assumption that they're representative of "the fandom"? Shit, are we not past that already that we can't see that the worst parts of any fandom are exactly the same as the worst parts of any fandom? That they're exactly as small a minority of the fans as those of any other thing? Guess what, you're posting to an internet thread about this show. You ARE the fandom!

If you had no knowledge of the worst parts of fandom, would the meta episodes be getting torn into quite as bad or would you just be able the sit back and laugh at the show lampooning itself?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    We enjoy a good show lampooning some of its own foibles. A once good show that has suffered a brain injury and now soils itself doing an episode where it lampoons itself is not so enjoyable, its rubbing salt in the wound. Like too much air in a balloon. And another metaphor.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I actually really liked this episode...

I always like the meta episodes. At first this one seemed to make fun of the shippers more than anything, though I was sad to see it backslide on that I bit there at the end.

I will also admit I kinda thought the music was catchy.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Why do any of you care about what some nobody in a dark corner of the Internet is doing and why are you letting it effect your ability to watch this show?

Why even make the assumption that they're representative of "the fandom"? Shit, are we not past that already that we can't see that the worst parts of any fandom are exactly the same as the worst parts of any fandom? That they're exactly as small a minority of the fans as those of any other thing? Guess what, you're posting to an internet thread about this show. You ARE the fandom!

If you had no knowledge of the worst parts of fandom, would the meta episodes be getting torn into quite as bad or would you just be able the sit back and laugh at the show lampooning itself?

This show was supposed to be "a love letter to the fandom", in the words of the people who wrote it and worked on it, except it was basically "a love letter to the small, loud portion of the fandom on tumblr and twitter made up of teenage girls". So no. We're not the fandom. If you watch the show and love the show and discuss it - but you don't 'ship' or write fanfic or anything like that, you're not "the fandom", in the eyes of the people actually working on the show.

And why care what they do? Why do you think Jo got written off at the end of season 2? Why do you think Anna got written out? Why do you think the show has to bend over backwards to find something for Cas to do that ends up being completely divorced from anything the main characters are dealing with? "The fandom's" incessant bitching has an actual effect on the show

Forget it...
  • Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

So did Dean :)

But yeah I actually really liked he episode for what it was.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Supernatural is probably the textbook example of why you need to kill your darlings.

• Options

dude i'm not even saying i'm a good writer

i'm saying i can at least come up with an idea that starts at point a and ends at point b and covers a whole season of 22 episodes and has at least some advancement in each episode, however minor it may be.

the writers haven't been doing that since the end of season 5.

season 6 was a mess of plotlines that were never fully explored. you only find out halfway through the season that this apparent angel civil war is the actual real main plotline except it happens almost entirely off screen and is a conflict that the MAIN CHARACTERS OF THE SHOW literally have NO INFLUENCE ON whatsoever, and why the fuck should the audience care about it if we never fucking see any of it? Eve shows up in like 4 episodes spaced across the season and she dies with no great fanfare because she never got to be a legitimate threat in the first place, the alphas plotline just fades away, and the Campbells don't go anywhere and just all get killed off because it's too difficult to keep track of secondary characters (same for Balthazar, who is really just a personality copy of Gabriel). Soulless Sam and Sam's hell wall is a set up for something that could be an ongoing issue for the character, so I have no complaints with how that particular plot was handled in s6, buut...

season 7 could have been amazing with godCas as the big bad, except they abandon that in the first episode and kill him off. Sam's hell hallucinations manifest brilliantly in the second episode... and then are pretty much forgotten for like half the season while Sam hunts as normal, until they decide to pay attention to them for an episode which makes him go crazy and almost die from sleep deprivation. then they resurrect Cas, make him take on Sam's hallucinations because OF COURSE you can't have Sam actually DEAL with anything or have some lasting impact from his great sacrifice - the hallucinations are magicked away, Cas is a useless weirdo, and Sam is basically 100% normal. Nobody gives a fuck about the Leviathans because they aren't scary, they kill Bobby only to introduce a temporary replacement Bobby who they then kill, then bring Bobby back as a ghost just to kill him again. They have an interesting idea with Sam and Dean being set up as serial killers and on the run from the law, except they did that way better in season 2... and Sam and Dean have been legally dead since season 3... and all of this is forgotten anyway because Sam and Dean being wanted serial killers is never, ever brought up again.

season 8 had a cool idea in purgatory, except then they go ahead and take a giant shit on Sam's character and make him not actually look for his brother or do anything to help Kevin because lol he hit a dog and had a fucking terrible chemistry-less relationship with a block of wood, compelling television! we learned so much about Sam! the trials and the tablets were interesting i guess (still fucking sick of angels, why are they still around?) but it's still 1 episode of plot, 1 MOTW with a throwaway line of 'kevin's translating the tablet' and then 5 more MOTW eps where there's literally no movement on the main plot. and then at the end they just decide to stop and not go through with literally getting rid of all demons because Sam might die for the 497693476th time. and more bullshit about angels but who gives a fuck? none of the angel shit involves the main characters! it's just there so they have an excuse to keep cas around because they're too chickenshit to kill off characters that have nothing left to offer.

season 9 was so bad i quit watching. so sam isn't actually sam for half a season. the main plot is more fucking angel shit that doesn't directly involve sam and dean. and still the trend of one episode of plot, 16 episodes of MOTW with no mention of or movement on the plot.

seriously, what is this crap?

I don't even think I'm being needlessly harsh. I'm not comparing it to Breaking Bad. The first 5 seasons of SPN, even though they all had a stinker episode here or there, had a clear plot thread. Season 1 - Find dad, and something's up with Sam. Season 2 - figure out how to kill the demon, stuff is up with Sam because of the demon. Season 3 - Dean's going to hell. Season 4 - fuck, angels, stop the seals from breaking, also stuff is up with Sam related to the demon stuff from before. Season 5 - apocalypse. stuff that was up with Sam reaches its payoff: he's Lucifer's vessel. All of those plot threads directly involved Sam and Dean. They had a personal stake in them, they could directly influence the events, and the events centred on them.

Everything after? Fuck, man, most of that shit is Cas's bullshit that Sam and Dean can't do anything about and then they just sort of meander around and who even gives a shit. Demon Dean could have been interesting but they abandoned that after 3 episodes and now we're back to the trend of monster of the week while leaving a major plot thread dangling (mark of cain). And the mark of cain would have been interesting 5 seasons ago, but Dean's been a murderous dick for a while now so it's not even like that's a major character change for him. it's just Dean with a fancy new blade.

If it's been 5 seasons I don't know why it's taking you this long to realize that maybe this show just isn't for you.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I actually really liked this episode...

I always like the meta episodes. At first this one seemed to make fun of the shippers more than anything, though I was sad to see it backslide on that I bit there at the end.

A single man tear....