As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Hello good sir or madam, pray tell have you heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

dude i'm not even saying i'm a good writer

i'm saying i can at least come up with an idea that starts at point a and ends at point b and covers a whole season of 22 episodes and has at least some advancement in each episode, however minor it may be.

the writers haven't been doing that since the end of season 5.

season 6 was a mess of plotlines that were never fully explored. you only find out halfway through the season that this apparent angel civil war is the actual real main plotline except it happens almost entirely off screen and is a conflict that the MAIN CHARACTERS OF THE SHOW literally have NO INFLUENCE ON whatsoever, and why the fuck should the audience care about it if we never fucking see any of it? Eve shows up in like 4 episodes spaced across the season and she dies with no great fanfare because she never got to be a legitimate threat in the first place, the alphas plotline just fades away, and the Campbells don't go anywhere and just all get killed off because it's too difficult to keep track of secondary characters (same for Balthazar, who is really just a personality copy of Gabriel). Soulless Sam and Sam's hell wall is a set up for something that could be an ongoing issue for the character, so I have no complaints with how that particular plot was handled in s6, buut...

season 7 could have been amazing with godCas as the big bad, except they abandon that in the first episode and kill him off. Sam's hell hallucinations manifest brilliantly in the second episode... and then are pretty much forgotten for like half the season while Sam hunts as normal, until they decide to pay attention to them for an episode which makes him go crazy and almost die from sleep deprivation. then they resurrect Cas, make him take on Sam's hallucinations because OF COURSE you can't have Sam actually DEAL with anything or have some lasting impact from his great sacrifice - the hallucinations are magicked away, Cas is a useless weirdo, and Sam is basically 100% normal. Nobody gives a fuck about the Leviathans because they aren't scary, they kill Bobby only to introduce a temporary replacement Bobby who they then kill, then bring Bobby back as a ghost just to kill him again. They have an interesting idea with Sam and Dean being set up as serial killers and on the run from the law, except they did that way better in season 2... and Sam and Dean have been legally dead since season 3... and all of this is forgotten anyway because Sam and Dean being wanted serial killers is never, ever brought up again.

season 8 had a cool idea in purgatory, except then they go ahead and take a giant shit on Sam's character and make him not actually look for his brother or do anything to help Kevin because lol he hit a dog and had a fucking terrible chemistry-less relationship with a block of wood, compelling television! we learned so much about Sam! the trials and the tablets were interesting i guess (still fucking sick of angels, why are they still around?) but it's still 1 episode of plot, 1 MOTW with a throwaway line of 'kevin's translating the tablet' and then 5 more MOTW eps where there's literally no movement on the main plot. and then at the end they just decide to stop and not go through with literally getting rid of all demons because Sam might die for the 497693476th time. and more bullshit about angels but who gives a fuck? none of the angel shit involves the main characters! it's just there so they have an excuse to keep cas around because they're too chickenshit to kill off characters that have nothing left to offer.

season 9 was so bad i quit watching. so sam isn't actually sam for half a season. the main plot is more fucking angel shit that doesn't directly involve sam and dean. and still the trend of one episode of plot, 16 episodes of MOTW with no mention of or movement on the plot.

seriously, what is this crap?

I don't even think I'm being needlessly harsh. I'm not comparing it to Breaking Bad. The first 5 seasons of SPN, even though they all had a stinker episode here or there, had a clear plot thread. Season 1 - Find dad, and something's up with Sam. Season 2 - figure out how to kill the demon, stuff is up with Sam because of the demon. Season 3 - Dean's going to hell. Season 4 - fuck, angels, stop the seals from breaking, also stuff is up with Sam related to the demon stuff from before. Season 5 - apocalypse. stuff that was up with Sam reaches its payoff: he's Lucifer's vessel. All of those plot threads directly involved Sam and Dean. They had a personal stake in them, they could directly influence the events, and the events centred on them.

Everything after? Fuck, man, most of that shit is Cas's bullshit that Sam and Dean can't do anything about and then they just sort of meander around and who even gives a shit. Demon Dean could have been interesting but they abandoned that after 3 episodes and now we're back to the trend of monster of the week while leaving a major plot thread dangling (mark of cain). And the mark of cain would have been interesting 5 seasons ago, but Dean's been a murderous dick for a while now so it's not even like that's a major character change for him. it's just Dean with a fancy new blade.

If it's been 5 seasons I don't know why it's taking you this long to realize that maybe this show just isn't for you.

At this point, who the hell is it for other then script writing teachers as an object lesson in how not to write?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

i'm saying i can at least come up with an idea that starts at point a and ends at point b and covers a whole season of 22 episodes and has at least some advancement in each episode, however minor it may be.

season 6 was a mess of plotlines that were never fully explored. you only find out halfway through the season that this apparent angel civil war is the actual real main plotline except it happens almost entirely off screen and is a conflict that the MAIN CHARACTERS OF THE SHOW literally have NO INFLUENCE ON whatsoever, and why the fuck should the audience care about it if we never fucking see any of it? Eve shows up in like 4 episodes spaced across the season and she dies with no great fanfare because she never got to be a legitimate threat in the first place, the alphas plotline just fades away, and the Campbells don't go anywhere and just all get killed off because it's too difficult to keep track of secondary characters (same for Balthazar, who is really just a personality copy of Gabriel). Soulless Sam and Sam's hell wall is a set up for something that could be an ongoing issue for the character, so I have no complaints with how that particular plot was handled in s6, buut...

season 7 could have been amazing with godCas as the big bad, except they abandon that in the first episode and kill him off. Sam's hell hallucinations manifest brilliantly in the second episode... and then are pretty much forgotten for like half the season while Sam hunts as normal, until they decide to pay attention to them for an episode which makes him go crazy and almost die from sleep deprivation. then they resurrect Cas, make him take on Sam's hallucinations because OF COURSE you can't have Sam actually DEAL with anything or have some lasting impact from his great sacrifice - the hallucinations are magicked away, Cas is a useless weirdo, and Sam is basically 100% normal. Nobody gives a fuck about the Leviathans because they aren't scary, they kill Bobby only to introduce a temporary replacement Bobby who they then kill, then bring Bobby back as a ghost just to kill him again. They have an interesting idea with Sam and Dean being set up as serial killers and on the run from the law, except they did that way better in season 2... and Sam and Dean have been legally dead since season 3... and all of this is forgotten anyway because Sam and Dean being wanted serial killers is never, ever brought up again.

season 8 had a cool idea in purgatory, except then they go ahead and take a giant shit on Sam's character and make him not actually look for his brother or do anything to help Kevin because lol he hit a dog and had a fucking terrible chemistry-less relationship with a block of wood, compelling television! we learned so much about Sam! the trials and the tablets were interesting i guess (still fucking sick of angels, why are they still around?) but it's still 1 episode of plot, 1 MOTW with a throwaway line of 'kevin's translating the tablet' and then 5 more MOTW eps where there's literally no movement on the main plot. and then at the end they just decide to stop and not go through with literally getting rid of all demons because Sam might die for the 497693476th time. and more bullshit about angels but who gives a fuck? none of the angel shit involves the main characters! it's just there so they have an excuse to keep cas around because they're too chickenshit to kill off characters that have nothing left to offer.

season 9 was so bad i quit watching. so sam isn't actually sam for half a season. the main plot is more fucking angel shit that doesn't directly involve sam and dean. and still the trend of one episode of plot, 16 episodes of MOTW with no mention of or movement on the plot.

I don't even think I'm being needlessly harsh. I'm not comparing it to Breaking Bad. The first 5 seasons of SPN, even though they all had a stinker episode here or there, had a clear plot thread. Season 1 - Find dad, and something's up with Sam. Season 2 - figure out how to kill the demon, stuff is up with Sam because of the demon. Season 3 - Dean's going to hell. Season 4 - fuck, angels, stop the seals from breaking, also stuff is up with Sam related to the demon stuff from before. Season 5 - apocalypse. stuff that was up with Sam reaches its payoff: he's Lucifer's vessel. All of those plot threads directly involved Sam and Dean. They had a personal stake in them, they could directly influence the events, and the events centred on them.

Everything after? Fuck, man, most of that shit is Cas's bullshit that Sam and Dean can't do anything about and then they just sort of meander around and who even gives a shit. Demon Dean could have been interesting but they abandoned that after 3 episodes and now we're back to the trend of monster of the week while leaving a major plot thread dangling (mark of cain). And the mark of cain would have been interesting 5 seasons ago, but Dean's been a murderous dick for a while now so it's not even like that's a major character change for him. it's just Dean with a fancy new blade.

If it's been 5 seasons I don't know why it's taking you this long to realize that maybe this show just isn't for you.

At this point, who the hell is it for other then script writing teachers as an object lesson in how not to write?

I really don't think its that bad. It has fallen into being consistently between decent and mediocre, but it has never been consistently horrible. The plotting might not be as good as earlier seasons, but its still entertaining to me.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Forgot to mention how much I appreciated the Ophan Black reference in this episode.

Also I really want to see the entire musical, minus the shipping of course, the Castiel song made me uncomfortable.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    This episode was so weird. It felt like old times, but just really off. The Clue bit's were fun, but the episode was just so strange. The pull away with the weird music(is that a clue reference I dont remember?), and that bad CG at the end? what the hell?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    While not perfect, if the rest of the season was more like this last episode I think it would be pretty okay. Better than I think it's going to end up at least. At least the annoying melodrama was toned way down. I thought the case itself was a fun idea too.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

The fans. How's the ratings? Is it still really popular?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/supernatural-ratings/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/supernatural-ratings/

*sigh* Of course it is.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I take solace in that Flash is the CW's top show right now, and I believe Arrow is doing good to by extension. Now if only they were smart and had them actually paired up on the same night like any rational person would expect.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I take solace in that Flash is the CW's top show right now, and I believe Arrow is doing good to by extension. Now if only they were smart and had them actually paired up on the same night like any rational person would expect.

I mean we are about to get a Flash vs. Arrow crossover, so that's something.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I knew they were going to do something big with that but I wasn't expecting
    the witch to be Crowley's mother.

• Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    Working through ssn 9 on Netflix- I am so fucking sick of the angel/demon shit but Crowley is always awesome, so there's that. Last episode I watched was easily the best, where
    Dean turns into Dr. Doolittle and speaks with animals. Him almost blowing away a pigeon had me laughing so hard

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    How in the hell did Sam, Dean, Bobby, John or Henry never once, in their decades of accumulated demon-fighting, not come across that spell Sam apparently found on the internet within minutes of any indication it was possible?

Like, seriously, they just don't even think through this stuff. If it's a unique spell known only to its inventor, that explains why they wouldn't have it, but not why they wouldn't know about it if it was apparently known at all. Why not just say "She must have an anti-demon spell we've never heard of" ? I mean that's a perfect reason for the Winchesters to track her down, to ask for it, since they do not actually have any indication she's hostile until the restaurant.

And there's a Grand Coven now? Great! Secret societies and stuff are things we needed in this show like...five seasons ago.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So...I'm admittedly a big ole softy when it comes to schmaltzy moments in tv shows, but damn
    that Kansas cover with the people-characters Sam and Dean have lost was kind of beautiful.
    Anyway. Ahem.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    And there's a Grand Coven now? Great! Secret societies and stuff are things we needed in this show like...five seasons ago.

It'll never be heard from again. Remember the Thule Society? Now I want those two to fight each other.

• Options

It'll never be heard from again. Remember the Thule Society? Now I want those two to fight each other.

The thule what?

Never heard of it, what are you talking about [/supernatural writer]

• Options

Wait, when was this brought up in Supernatural? I remember it from the first Full Metal Alchemist movie, but not from this show.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Wait, when was this brought up in Supernatural? I remember it from the first Full Metal Alchemist movie, but not from this show.

Wasn't that in the Golem episode?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options

Season 8, "Everybody hates Hitler."

• Options
    Oh right...that was kind of a terrible episode, no wonder I couldn't remember it.

• Options
    Oh right...that was kind of a terrible episode, no wonder I couldn't remember it.

I thought it was one of 8's better episodes.

• Options
    It really is amazing to me how the show set up an amazing idea like the men of letters organization and then downgraded it to being nothing more then a club house for the Winchester club.

• Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    It really is amazing to me how the show set up an amazing idea like the men of letters organization and then downgraded it to being nothing more then a club house for the Winchester club.

That's pretty much been the show's modus operandi since season 5 ended- come up with something that could be fucking amazing, then forget about it or break it. The Men of Letters fuckup is the most egregious, though, cause that could have been so goddamn cool, but of course you have to pander to the tumblr crowd.

• Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    So when my girlfriend and I started watching I explicitly said let's watch the main plot arc of the show so we started at season 4 and went onwards. So right now I'm going through seasons 2 and 8 simultaneously and oh man it's so weird

Like the socially conscious episodes where the writers haphazardly tangle with a social issue rather than the convoluted plotline of the show itself?

I dunno, it's weird. I don't think I'm going to get that much further into season 8; Castiel was my favorite character and the show's been going out of its way to make a mockery of him since some point in season 6 (and yeah I know that he's a quickie mart employee now)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    To be fair, seasons 1-5 were really bad at worldbuilding (we're borrowing folklore and just one kind of vampire? really?) and inconsistent with canon as well (look at how pagan gods start and then how they end up) but the show had momentum, likeeable secondary characters who died frequently enough the show had a sense of nihilistic punch, the inter-brother drama was usually meaningful, and decent procedural monster-hunting was had with some good comic moments.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The entire point of the men of letters was to get the characters a permanent base show set. 5+ seasons of redecorating 2 motel room sets was wearing thin. I don't think they put any thought into it other than knowing they could also get 2-3 bottle episodes out of the magical bullshit contained in the base.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Honestly surprised that the Men of Letters never came up with some sort of magical teleport thing to fast travel back to base.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I don't want the Jewish kid and his Golem to show back up.
    Because given the track record of this show -- if they show up again they will probably be killed.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    I never thought I'd miss the frequent, pointless deaths of recurring characters, but Crowley is five fucking seasons past his expiration date.

• Options
    I never thought I'd miss the frequent, pointless deaths of recurring characters, but Crowley is five fucking seasons past his expiration date.

Crowley would be fine if they had kept him in the same role he had in season 5; an opportunistic demon that the brothers dealt with when they had no choice because they knew they were going to get screwed down the road.

Instead we got a guy who is simultaneously the king of hell and their bitch.

• Options
    The whole "King of Hell" thing is a stupid concept, too. You know what they should have kept? Factions. Factions amongst demons, factions amongst angels, factions amongst monsters. Just let your setting get just the slightest bit fucking more complicated than Winchester problem of the week, for fuck's sake.

• Options

Crowley would be fine if they had kept him in the same role he had in season 5; an opportunistic demon that the brothers dealt with when they had no choice because they knew they were going to get screwed down the road.

Yeah, I think Crowley is a really entertaining character (I'd rather have him in every episode than Catiel any day), but it does get a little weird when you think about him being the king of hell, yet the brothers regularly hand it to him with little to no consequence.

• Options
    The whole "King of Hell" thing is a stupid concept, too. You know what they should have kept? Factions. Factions amongst demons, factions amongst angels, factions amongst monsters. Just let your setting get just the slightest bit fucking more complicated than Winchester problem of the week, for fuck's sake.
    Given the sheer number of times the angels have factionalized I'm mystified that there are any of them left; Castiel killed a shit load of them when he was "god", the winchesters seem to have no problem killing them, they killed each other a bunch when they fell to earth, and apparently they're killing each other some more now.

Yeah, I think Crowley is a really entertaining character (I'd rather have him in every episode than Catiel any day), but it does get a little weird when you think about him being the king of hell, yet the brothers regularly hand it to him with little to no consequence.

Castiel would have been fine if there was actually some sort of direction for the character beyond being the little brother they never got to drag into their angst ridden bromance.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Eh, Crowley being the king of hell and being punked by the brothers doesn't bother me as much.

I don't think it was ever established that Crowley is any more powerful than a run of the mill middle management demon. He got to where he is via politics, trickery, and diplomacy.

I'm not certain if Yellow Eyes, the demon who "trained" Dean (forgot his name) or Lilith would have had any trouble with Abbadon and they were all established as being much more powerful than him.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Eh, Crowley being the king of hell and being punked by the brothers doesn't bother me as much.

I don't think it was ever established that Crowley is any more powerful than a run of the mill middle management demon. He got to where he is via politics, trickery, and diplomacy.

I'm not certain if Yellow Eyes, the demon who "trained" Dean (forgot his name) or Lilith would have had any trouble with Abbadon and they were all established as being much more powerful than him.
    You're forgetting that as king of hell he'd be getting supercharged by all the souls pouring into him; in season 6 he giifted enough to castiel that he was able to bitch slap an arch angel.

Really this just goes back into how neurotic the power creep in this series is.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I just like to think the Winchesters are player characters in a weird, twisted role-playing chronicle. They just keep leveling up.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Castiel would have been fine if there was actually some sort of direction for the character beyond being the little brother they never got to drag into their angst ridden bromance.

Castiel needs a spin-off show and to stay away from the Winchesters. He's too powerful for them to have on speed dial.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Castiel needs a spin-off show and to stay away from the Winchesters. He's too powerful for them to have on speed dial.

I would've loved a day in the life sitcom of Cas Steve, Gas n Sip attendant

tumblr_nehp2w0KBr1sq12s9o1_500.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

You're forgetting that as king of hell he'd be getting supercharged by all the souls pouring into him; in season 6 he giifted enough to castiel that he was able to bitch slap an arch angel.

Really this just goes back into how neurotic the power creep in this series is.

At all times? I got the impression from that season that souls were batteries + currency rolled into one. Crowley just hit the bank and withdrew some to spot Cas. I wouldn't think he'd want them all plugged in anyway since they turn souls into new demons.