As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Nah, I mean, I still enjoy chunks of it. I just recognize that it's kind of a poor imitation of what it used to be. I still like seeing the characters, is basically where I'm at with it.
    Hey, I enjoy it. I marathoned through the whole series after discovering it early this year. I also marathoned, Dexter, HIMYM, Bones, and Adventure Time this year. I marathoned Psych and Breaking Bad last year.
    Trace wrote: »
    I watch because at the moment Hannibal isn't on and I need to watch some character get butchered.
    The Walking Dead came back tonight.

BigWillieStyles on
    3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I definitely don't hate the show. I'm just really disappointed with how it's going lately - especially considering how damned good it used to be. I've been marathoning the early stuff, I'm into season 5 now on netflix but I'll probably stop after that.
    Essentially, I was psyched for the show to come back and I was hoping for this new plot line to go look like it was heading somewhere but it was a massive let down.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So Dean being a demon really just means he's a terrible person.
    He says hurtful things to the girl he was sleeping with. Then he leaves his brother to die.
    Not exactly the worst things he's ever done, even when he was a good guy. I really hope they push the dark side in his story arc or this is going to be one boring season.

*edit for spoilers*

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Please no more kareoke.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So I went to a convention. Again.

It's kind of weird being there while not being a fan of the show anymore. But I'm still very much a fan of the actors. And overall it was a fun experience. Torcon is always the first convention after the season premiere, so spoilers for people who care:
    Jodi Mills will be back (Kim Rhodes just finished shooting an episode) and she will be teaming up with Sheriff Donna(?) (pretty sure I stopped watching before that episode).

Jensen and Jared talked about how it was good to be back working as 'normal Sam and Dean' so it sounds like by this point the demon thing has been resolved.

Mark Sheppard keeps harping on about 'but how do you know Crowley is actually a demon?'

Also, Matt Cohen (young John) really wants a John Winchester spinoff. Alaina Huffman (Abaddon) really really wants an early Men of Letters spinoff with Josie and Henry. Gil McKinney (Henry) sings like a Broadway star, Rob Benedict's (Chuck) band is really good, Mark Sheppard is a boss on drums, and Richard Speight Jr. can rock the country tunes.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    That picture is great.
    Although Jared Padelecki becomes much less menacing when you see him in that scarf (ascot?)

One funny thing I noticed about Jensen Ackles but got some clarification from a youtube video from a convention - it's like he's always dressed as Dean - and that's apparently because he likes the outfits they give Dean on the show - so he steals it from the wardrobe.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    Jared Padalecki is the least menacing person in the world once you actually meet him. He is like a giant golden retriever, and seriously probably one of the nicest people in existence.

And yeah. He seems to have a thing for scarves.

Forget it...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It's things like this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoYbo4sV8SA that make me think the awesomeness of the cast itself is what's been keeping the show afloat for all the extra years beyond say, season 5. It's like people are more more into Jensen and Jared rather than Sam and Dean. Which is fair enough.

Also this weeks episode wasn't all that bad.
    Except for Metatron. Fuck off already.

It seems the A.V club isn't reviewing this season, they don't have one up for last weeks episode, even though they're usually pretty prompt. Have they given up on it or something?

Morblitz on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Asshole Dean is a lot of fun, at least. Wonder if they'll get around to giving Sam a personality this season, too?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If the show's going to have a character who's supposed to be 24, the least they could do is hire one CLOSE to that age.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1074160/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    There's also only like 12 years difference between Jensen Ackles and Jeoffrey Dean Morgan who played his father.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anyone know exactly how much time has passed in show between the first episode and now?

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Anyone know exactly how much time has passed in show between the first episode and now?
    Well, it started in 2005 and has stuck to the general time of the world. So, it's the fall of 2014 right now in the show I'd imagine.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I actually really liked the last episode. I really hope that they
    stick with Demon Dean for quite awhile. He actually feels very menacing and dangerous, a kind of Angelus feel.

• Options
    I really liked the "Lifetime Movie" crack; it's like one of the writers suddenly became aware of what their show had become and had to comment on it.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I had a sudden realization that a lot of the problems with castiel could have been solved if he was made human a few seasons ago, and aids the Winchesters with his angelic knowledge of demons and spells and such, but otherwise just a plain human with no supernatural powers.

Then he could have gotten super depressed and buried himself in TV and the internet, and gained the cultural knowledge naturally instead of having Metatron poke him in the head and go poof you know movies.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Best part of the season so far:

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-17%20at%201.54.49%20PM.png

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I was kinda hoping for a Crowley/Deanmon buddy comedy this season.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I was kinda hoping for a Crowley/Deanmon buddy comedy this season.

I really hope they end up putting them back together, otherwise they wasted a lot of potential in having them teamed up doing evil things all season.

• Options
    Is it me or did this latest episode have some strange colouring to it all?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Glad the demon Dean is over.

Tired of the angel thing in heaven and the demon thing in hell.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    I did dig the Shining reference.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    To be fair
    I don't think this is the last of Deanmon, considering he still bears The Mark.

Also is it just me or does it seem
    Crowley has a significant change in personality and demeanor since his brush with sanctified blood?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Way to waste one of the best potential story lines you've had in a few years Supernatural. I would forgive this if they returned to one off monster of the week episodes with just a little plot progression like they did in the early years, but considering that ending shot, I doubt it.
    To be fair
    I don't think this is the last of Deanmon, considering he still bears The Mark.

Also is it just me or does it seem
    Crowley has a significant change in personality and demeanor since his brush with sanctified blood?

I thought that was the whole point.
    It started to give him feelings, and he liked it. That's why he continued to shoot it up afterwards.

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Did anyone else watch the premiere of Constantine and feel like they were watching the good seasons of Supernatural?

• Options
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Did anyone else watch the premiere of Constantine and feel like they were watching the good seasons of Supernatural?

I just went from zero interest in that show to very intrigued.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Just saw Constantine and now I'm done with Supernatural. This last episode was super boring and I don't think I can bring myself to watch another when there are better shows just begging for my attention. Let me know if things actually manage to improve. Until then I'm out.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Good, bad, or boring- I'm in Supernatural until the end. I am still holding out hope it will get really really good again.
    As for Constantine- that was a premiere. Awesome premieres are easy (relative to the rest of a season) because you are asking more questions than you answer. It's when you start to need to deliver on the questions that you find out if a show has what it takes or not (ex. Heroes).

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Constantine has potential, and I plan to keep watching it.

But I actually really liked the recent Supernatural episode. It's the first werewolf episode on the show that I actually enjoyed.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Constantine has potential, and I plan to keep watching it.

But I actually really liked the recent Supernatural episode. It's the first werewolf episode on the show that I actually enjoyed.

I liked the original episode with that girl, and this one was alright as well. It was nice to see the brothers infighting scaled back considerably compared to early episodes of previous seasons, but I'm still a little disappointed that they gave up the Demon Dean plot so quickly, so much potential.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    The Constantine premiere was kind of garbage, you guys. It was paced waaaaaay too fast and did nothing to establish any supernatural ground rules. There are shocking, terrible things happening around the characters and they are given no breathing room for appropriate reaction/processing. Jon just shows up where he needs to be (I'm randomly in this parking lot! I'm randomly in the street near your house! etc) and spouts random exposition that we are expected to take for granted. It was contrived and had no subtlety or mystery. It would've been a much better episode if it had entirely taken place in the insane asylum, really introducing us to the character, and had ended with the exorcism there.

It would've been like compressing the entire first season of Supernatural into a single episode...

Speaking of which, Supernatural (thus far) this season has been reasonably good given how big of a mess the show has become. They seem to have placed themselves in a decent "reset" position, so we'll have to see if they can take a good, fresh approach from here on out of if they descend back into the muck.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Just watched the latest episode and I had to laugh during the commercial break. Did anyone else get an O'Charley's Wednesday Pie Night ad? I wonder if that was coincidence or someone with a good sense of humor!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So Jensen, Jared and Misha each dressed up as the others character for Halloween

B1_X3xwr_CEAAX5fj.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    So Jensen, Jared and Misha each dressed up as the others character for Halloween

B1_X3xwr_CEAAX5fj.jpg

With actors this awesome, how was the show allowed to get as bad as it's been?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    With actors this awesome, how was the show allowed to get as bad as it's been?

The original showrunner left. :(

• Options
    And most of the good writers left.

And they won't fire the shitty writers.

And the new writers spend more time arguing with shippers on twitter than actually looking up past lore to make sure their shit isn't breaking canon.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The real shame is there were actually interesting directions to take the show after season five, if they wanted to.

• Options
    There is nothing more disappointing than wasted potential.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »

And the new writers spend more time arguing with shippers on twitter than actually looking up past lore to make sure their shit isn't breaking canon.

wait they actually argue on twitter with the people that want dean and sam to fuck eachother?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

wait they actually argue on twitter with the people that want dean and sam to fuck eachother?

I'm pretty sure that twitter shippers is where they are acquiring the "talent" that is their current writing pool, so its not surprising they stay active in that community.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski