As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [Chat] On the Block

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Drunks are approximately a hundred times worse than potheads.

The worst I'd ever had to deal with from any pothead was a mild pot smell (which isn't exactly fair because I kind of enjoy it but let's count it as a negative) and overaffection.

The worst I've dealt with with drunks is belligerence, aggression, and just blinding stupidity.

I mean, it's pretty clear which is worse if you're going to judge.

drunks are way more dangerous, it's true

i've never seen a really belligerent pothead. inattentive, sure, but drunks are inattentive as well.

i just find the kind of social interactions that people high on pot have to be personally unpleasant.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've never been in a fight from alcohol or weed.

You crazy kids.

I've never been in a fight at all.

Oh look at me, so averagely white middle class.

Daxon on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    That's... nice I guess. It isn't really what I was talking about though.

i mean i guess i am saying that i think it's okay to dislike pot/ look down on potheads even if you drink alcohol.

i guess in the same way that it's okay to be a pothead and still look down on, like, glueheads or tweakers
    It's only okay if you are okay with being a complete hypocrite, I guess.

i guess i don't see there being some sort of necessary common cause among drug-takers, and i think it's okay to think that some drugs are worse and some are better, and i think it's okay to dislike the cultures surrounding different drugs.

i mean, would you go to bat for crack or huffing gasoline or shooting heroin and their associated subcultures?

fwiw. i think that pot should probably be legal, but i still would dislike it.

My entire point is that pot is not "worse" than alcohol by any conceivable standard you choose to examine: it is safer, it is less addictive, it is healthier, it doesn't make people act like douchebags or do things they regret, etc. So for someone who regularly binges on alcohol to look down on a pothead is hypocritical, yeah. It is perfectly fine to not wish to associate with potheads just as it is perfectly fine to not wish to associate with alcoholics. But my point is something being legal does not make it safer or healthier, and those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

For someone who does neither to look down on both is I guess unfortunately judgmental, but doesn't make them a hypocrite.

MikeMan on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You crazy kids.

Sounds like I gotta get you drunk and then hit you with some dandelions.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really only experimented with drugs for about a year, and looking back on it, it was a bad year. I think I was drunk like 5 nights a week too.

I'm glad my wife came around to pull me out of that.

edit: if pot were legal though, I'd probably try it from time to time, especially in lieu of drinking.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Mescaline just sounds more romantic and old-timey than any other drug I could think of. That's why I went with that. It sounds like the kind of thing Peter Lorre would take on the sly while he wasn't grassing up his hoodlum friends to Humphrey Bogart.

Bogart on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need to remember to install sc2 on this laptop. Though right now I am tethering so online gaming not going to happen. The guy is here working on our internet so it doesn't cycle off and on every few minutes.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

You crazy kids.

Oh, I've been in fights, when I was younger. But, there were never any substances involved.

Inquisitor on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drunks are approximately a hundred times worse than potheads.

The worst I'd ever had to deal with from any pothead was a mild pot smell (which isn't exactly fair because I kind of enjoy it but let's count it as a negative) and overaffection.

The worst I've dealt with with drunks is belligerence, aggression, and just blinding stupidity.

I mean, it's pretty clear which is worse if you're going to judge.

yeah I would definitely say potheads are probably one of the better people to be around if you have to be sober and around intoxicated people

that being said I vastly prefer alcohol

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mescaline just sounds more romantic and old-timey than any other drug I could think of. That's why I went with that. It sounds like the kind of thing Peter Lorre would take on the sly while he wasn't grassing up his hoodlum friends to Humphrey Bogart.

Laudanum

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan I friend'd you on StarCraft 2. I was going to invite you to a game, but then I saw you were bronze and I was all, SHUN
    i'm bad :(

but i wanna get better

MikeMan on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There was a time, that [chat] saw firsthand, where I smoked weed every night for 3 months. That was a bleak 3 months. Not that I'm less depressed now, but I'm more in control.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010

You crazy kids.

Oh, I've been in fights, when I was younger. But, there were never any substances involved.

All injuries I have ever sustained have been self-acquired.

Daxon on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eh, on being around drunk people or stoned people while sober its a toss up for me.

Drunk people are at least interesting when sober, but sometimes they get crazy.

Stoned people are painfully boring to be around when sober.

Inquisitor on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    guys I totally heard that nutmeg gets you so hiiigh

Ludious on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry to hear the GW2 demo was mediocre. It's one of the two MMOs I'm really excited about.

Playing it in 3D on a massive tv was pretty awesome though.

James on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah, being a psychedelic that's virtually unknown outside of an extremely small and insular subculture of people who have the means and desire to seek it out, it does seem kind of romantic.

TL DR on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

One word

Jenkem

Silas Brown on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gooey i'll play sc2 with you

get on broseph

me and vh are waitingggg

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There was a time, that [chat] saw firsthand, where I smoked weed every night for 3 months. That was a bleak 3 months. Not that I'm less depressed now, but I'm more in control.

you were all like..

I accidently shit my pants do I clean up or get high?

*toke*

Ludious on
    edited September 2010
    also all my tests came back from my doctor's appointment

my chest x-ray was fine, my bloodwork was fine (still no HIV or syphillus, yay!) and my cholesterol levels were perfect

woot being young

MikeMan on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    from what i hear the most damning generalization you can make about potheads is that they are boring, boring people

Rust on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    My entire point is that pot is not "worse" than alcohol by any conceivable standard you choose to examine: it is safer, it is less addictive, it is healthier, it doesn't make people act like douchebags or do things they regret, etc. So for someone who regularly binges on alcohol to look down on a pothead is hypocritical, yeah. It is perfectly fine to not wish to associate with potheads just as it is perfectly fine to not wish to associate with alcoholics. But my point is something being legal does not make it safer or healthier, and those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

For someone who does neither to look down on both is I guess unfortunately judgmental, but doesn't make them a hypocrite.

i guess what i'm suggesting is that there are reasonable standards besides how dangerous or harmful a drug is.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Laudanum

Hey, that's a good old-timey drug. Though it's more the kind of thing that a bespectacled quack would prescribe to Bette Davis while she had a breakdown.

Bogart on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want a beer so badly

Zen Vulgarity on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Laudanum

Seriously, TM, you could log in as me and post exactly the same stuff you already do, and it would be fine.

Also can you guys imagine talking to Humphrey Bogart on mescaline? Wow.

desc on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It depends on the social interaction.

Alcohol is much more fun when dealing with larger groups of people, whereas with smaller groups other activities can be more fun.

Or both.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

Laudanum

Hey, that's a good old-timey drug. Though it's more the kind of thing that a bespectacled quack would prescribe to Bette Davis while she had a breakdown.

isn't it another word for opium

and isn't opium baaaad shit

Rust on
    edited September 2010
    I like to refer to Alcohol as Rape Gravy

Ludious on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    gooey i'll play sc2 with you

get on broseph

me and vh are waitingggg

I wish I could play games at this time on a weekday.

Right now we're having a break in my soci class.

James on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eh, on being around drunk people or stoned people while sober its a toss up for me.

I think we should all take your approach

hide under the table molesting mikeman

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    I once walked into a wall, thinking it was the door (which was in fact like half a meter further forward), whilst I was high.

It was fucking hilarious at the time and my friend and I couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes.

Then again, I have recently (this summer) biked into a tree whilst drunk sustaining mild injuries and providing with another hilarious story.

Daxon on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

i guess what i'm suggesting is that there are reasonable standards besides how dangerous or harmful a drug is.

Such as?

Rear Admiral Choco on
    edited September 2010

yeah this is kind of my take on it

probably the only way to enjoy the company of potheads is to be high yourself

and because i don't smoke weed, i guess i'm not afforded that opportunity!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

Yeah, being a psychedelic that's virtually unknown outside of an extremely small and insular subculture of people who have the means and desire to seek it out, it does seem kind of romantic.

Exactly. Anyone can be a crackhead. It takes determination and effort to drop mescaline regularly.

Bogart on
    edited September 2010
    I once walked into a wall, thinking it was the door (which was in fact like half a meter further forward), whilst I was high.

It was fucking hilarious at the time and my friend and I couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes.

Then again, I have recently (this summer) biked into a tree whilst drunk sustaining mild injuries and providing with another hilarious story.

that would be called a DUI here in the states

Ludious on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

It does contain a few chemicals that can act as potent psychedelics.

Of course, it also contains alkaloids that will make you wish your stomach would just go ahead and bleed out your naval already, so...

TL DR on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So after trying real sugar Dr. Pepper at PAX I bought a 12 back when I got home. Because holy shit it is so good. But man I am drinking them way to fast. :( Gonna make me fat.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2010

Such as?

whether you find their effects or their associated subcultures socially unpleasant?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it does strike me that your position requires taking the whole morass of human motivations and the actual effect/ intended effect of drugs or medication as well as social standards and moral frameworks, and then standing back about ten miles and kind of squinting at the whole mess and drawing parallels/ forming theories.

it's the same sort of thing i sense from objectivists who want to reduce ethical frameworks to simple systems of excange and "voluntary/ involuntary altruism." this is to say that i think it's probably a philosophically consistent system, but requires overlooking a lot of important and socially useful distinctions.

Um, quite the opposite actually. I'm saying that the decision whether to take a particular chemical is extremely contextual, taking into account the chemical, the individual, his immediate and long-term circumstances, his expectations, and the expectations upon him.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.